What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Branden Oliver (1 Viewer)

Brown turns 28 next season, has one year left on his deal, and has never been more than a below average NFL runner.

If Oliver can't beat him out in the long term then Oliver was never going to have real value anyway.
I agree. Pass pro is the area Oliver needs to make significant improvements upon in the offseason. The coaching staff clearly does not trust him in that role right now. That was rather apparent Saturday night when they spent the entire second half throwing all the time and Oliver spent all but a couple of snaps on the bench.
That's actually kind of refreshing though and not dissimilar to what other players like Tre Mason, Frank Gore, Jamaal Charles, and Ray Rice went through as rookies. I'd rather him be a promising playmaker who struggles in pass pro than a great blocker who can't run or catch. One of those things seems a lot more fixable than the other. Most backs eventually learn how to block. Not all of them learn how to run or catch the ball. Oliver has shown pretty good promise as a receiver, so they definitely have an incentive to get his pass blocking sorted. Similar to Mason in St. Louis, although Mason has been better overall.
Woodhead is a terrible pass blocker, so it may be that the team ends up using Oliver as Woodhead's successor for passing downs, primarily running routes rather than pass blocking. I think that is actually more likely than Oliver ending up taking the Mathews/lead back role. Remember, Woodhead was healthy last year, but he only had 56 pass blocking snaps in 504 total snaps (per PFF). And he had 106 rushing attempts, so that role would keep Oliver involved in the running game in addition to the passing game. In PPR, Woodhead was RB #12 last season, which is pretty impressive. I would be surprised if Oliver ever posts a finish that high, but there is at least a chance.

If Ryan Matthews signs elsewhere, which looks likely, will the conversation start swirling around Branden Oliver as a viable option in San Diego ?

If Ryan Matthews signs elsewhere, which looks likely, will the conversation start swirling around Branden Oliver as a viable option in San Diego ?
I doubt it. Oliver was serviceable for a bit, but seemed to hit the wall and opened the door for Matthews to assume the lead dog role.

I would guess if Matthews signs, the Chargers will be one of the most likely landing spots for one of the top rookie RBs on day one.

I'd be shocked. Well, let me rephrase that... Oliver dynasty owners might start a conversation amongst themselves, but there will be no serious conversation about it. There are a lot of good free agents and rookies.

It'll be a fun few weeks, and then they'll draft someone. But optimism is high for the time being...maybe they like him enough!

I would be selling Oliver. It seemed like addressing their RB situation through the draft has been the plan from the start. With improvements on the line and the team's emphasis on the run, San Diego/LA may be the top rookie running back destination.

I doubt it. Oliver was serviceable for a bit, but seemed to hit the wall and opened the door for Matthews to assume the lead dog role.

I would guess if Matthews signs, the Chargers will be one of the most likely landing spots for one of the top rookie RBs on day one.
RB is the least of the Chargers' needs.

I doubt it. Oliver was serviceable for a bit, but seemed to hit the wall and opened the door for Matthews to assume the lead dog role.I would guess if Matthews signs, the Chargers will be one of the most likely landing spots for one of the top rookie RBs on day one.
Once again u couldnt be more wrong, they have nothing on the roster

As an Oliver owner, the only way he gets the job is to beat out whomever they bring in. I doubt he is given the opportunity to start and must beat out whomever is going to get a much better chance at the job. Not saying he can't do it, but opportunity is a big deal and he's not going to get the best opportunity to be the primary ball carrier.

The best part of Mathews leaving is the picture should be much clearer. If the Chargers draft a guy in the first 2 rounds, then so be it. If they bring it Murray? Message received. If they had kept Mathews...murky waters for another few years

I doubt it. Oliver was serviceable for a bit, but seemed to hit the wall and opened the door for Matthews to assume the lead dog role.I would guess if Matthews signs, the Chargers will be one of the most likely landing spots for one of the top rookie RBs on day one.
You really don't know what you're talking about.

Here's a four round mock by U-T San Diego:

17) San Diego (9-7) - Malcom Brown, DT, Texas, Jr.

I've advocated for defensive line help in the first round the last two drafts. Brown, a first team All-Big 12 selection, has the skill-set and versatility to lineup anywhere on the D-line. He excels at plugging up the middle -- which would enhance the entire defense -- but also has the ability to disrupt the pocket and make his share of plays behind the line of scrimmage. Top needs: DT, OL, WR

48) San Diego (9-7) - Devin Smith, WR, Ohio State, Sr.

The Chargers have lacked a true down-field threat in the passing game since Vince Jackson left for Tampa Bay. Smith averaged 28.2 yards per catch and 54.5 percent of his catches were for 25-plus yards in 2014. Also, he has the capability of being an elite gunner on special teams. Top needs: DT, OL, WR

83) San Diego (9-7) - Josh Shaw, CB, USC, Sr.

The Chargers secondary depth doesn't excite me. Shaw's versatility -- he played both cornerback and safety for the Trojans -- would be an asset. He possesses good speed (4.44 40-yard dash at the combine) and above-average size (6-feet, 201 pounds). He will greatly benefit from more technique and film studying at the next level. Top needs: DT, OL, WR

114) San Diego (9-7) - B.J. Finney, C, Kansas State, Sr.

The Chargers have already handled most of their pressing issues on the offensive line through free agency. Drafting Finney would add significant depth, because no one wants to see a repeat on 2014. Athleticism isn't his strong suit, but his strong hands enable him to stymie athletic interior players. Top needs: DT, OL, WR

I would much rather have those players than RB. Maybe they can pick up one in the 5th, but they have far more important positions to address.

You really don't know what you're talking about.

Here's a four round mock by U-T San Diego:

17) San Diego (9-7) - Malcom Brown, DT, Texas, Jr.

I've advocated for defensive line help in the first round the last two drafts. Brown, a first team All-Big 12 selection, has the skill-set and versatility to lineup anywhere on the D-line. He excels at plugging up the middle -- which would enhance the entire defense -- but also has the ability to disrupt the pocket and make his share of plays behind the line of scrimmage. Top needs: DT, OL, WR

48) San Diego (9-7) - Devin Smith, WR, Ohio State, Sr.

The Chargers have lacked a true down-field threat in the passing game since Vince Jackson left for Tampa Bay. Smith averaged 28.2 yards per catch and 54.5 percent of his catches were for 25-plus yards in 2014. Also, he has the capability of being an elite gunner on special teams. Top needs: DT, OL, WR

83) San Diego (9-7) - Josh Shaw, CB, USC, Sr.

The Chargers secondary depth doesn't excite me. Shaw's versatility -- he played both cornerback and safety for the Trojans -- would be an asset. He possesses good speed (4.44 40-yard dash at the combine) and above-average size (6-feet, 201 pounds). He will greatly benefit from more technique and film studying at the next level. Top needs: DT, OL, WR

114) San Diego (9-7) - B.J. Finney, C, Kansas State, Sr.

The Chargers have already handled most of their pressing issues on the offensive line through free agency. Drafting Finney would add significant depth, because no one wants to see a repeat on 2014. Athleticism isn't his strong suit, but his strong hands enable him to stymie athletic interior players. Top needs: DT, OL, WR

I would much rather have those players than RB. Maybe they can pick up one in the 5th, but they have far more important positions to address.
Yeah, I'd be unpleasantly surprised if the Chargers spend a day 1 pick on RB. 3rd round or later maybe.

For a team that really likes to run the ball, do you really think they're comfortable with Oliver and Woodhead?

ETA: I don't expect them to grab one in the 1st, but could see them drafting one of the better guys in the mid-2nd or mid-3rd despite what the local paper says.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe not the least, but I agree with your underlying point. They should not even consider adding a RB on day one. Too many other needs.

For a team that really likes to run the ball, do you really think they're comfortable with Oliver and Woodhead?

ETA: I don't expect them to grab one in the 1st, but could see them drafting one of the better guys in the mid-2nd or mid-3rd despite what the local paper says.
They have Oliver, Brown, and Woodhead. I don't think they plan to go into the season with that group. I think they plan to add one more RB who can carry a significant load, leaving those three to split COP and passing down duties. I think their other needs are pressing enough that the most logical route is for the Chargers to sign a relatively inexpensive veteran RB, using their draft picks on DL, OL, DB, and WR.

I couldn't agree with you more, and I think it would be a crazy mismanagement of the cap if they don't come out of this FA period without another C/RB/WR given how many are out there.

The SS and NT are the two glaring holes that will be most difficult to fill. Maybe target Tartt in the third. Unless Shelton falls to them in the first I think they can get a good NT in the 2nd. One from the Goldman/Phillips/Davis group. Ellis McCarthy as a backup plan as more of a pure run stuffer(that they really need).

Based on the going rate of CB's and LT's I'd rather draft either one of those to develop over a RB. The 5th/6th are where I was hoping they'd be looking for a RB just as you mention. This crop of RB is sooooo much different than last years crop. A few out of Yeldon/Davis/Cobb/Hilliard/Jones/Brown will definitely be available in the back half of the draft and all could challenge Oliver or even Brown for their roster spot.

I could see them picking up someone like Ridley very cheaply in the next few weeks and then drafting a rookie in the 4th or 5th round and letting the group battle it out.

I could see them picking up someone like Ridley very cheaply in the next few weeks and then drafting a rookie in the 4th or 5th round and letting the group battle it out.
I don't see them doing both, i.e., signing a veteran expected to make the roster and also drafting a RB.

They already have 3 RBs (Oliver, Woodhead, Brown) expected to make the roster next season, and signing a veteran expected to make the roster would make 4. There is no reason to then draft a RB, unless they intend to cut one of the current 3 RBs.

I am in favor of cutting Brown, but he was signed by the current regime just last year, has been consistently praised by the team, and would cost about $2.2M in dead money on the 2015 cap if he was cut. I don't see him getting cut.

Similarly, Woodhead was signed by the current regime and would leave dead money on the cap if released. But unlike Brown, he actually played pretty well after he was signed (in 2013), and I suspect they want him on the field.

And I don't see them cutting Oliver after he showed some flashes as a rookie and given he is dirt cheap.

Besides, the Chargers have a lot of needs in addition to RB -- OL, DL, CB, SS, WR, LB. It makes complete sense to sign a vet like Ridley and spend the draft picks on those other positions.

Mathews leaving is good news almost regardless of what happens between now and September. He's a former top 15 pick and a very talented guy when healthy. The odds of San Diego finding a player of equivalent talent in FA or the draft are modest, which means Oliver's odds at a significant role just increased. In terms of rookies, I'd concede that the spot is lost if San Diego gets Gurley, Abdullah, Gordon, and maybe Cobb. The other rookie backs aren't that great IMO, though a few others could potentially beat him out. Seems unlikely that San Diego will go after a big name FA like Bush, Spiller, or Murray. A trade is possible, but those are always unlikely.

Add it all up and this will probably be a battle between Brown/Woodhead/Oliver and a 2nd-5th round rookie.

Besides, the Chargers have a lot of needs in addition to RB -- OL, DL, CB, SS, WR, LB. It makes complete sense to sign a vet like Ridley and spend the draft picks on those other positions.
The draft isn't a perfect science and although filling needs is important, it doesn't dictate what teams do. I can see a lot of scenarios where RB is the BPA in rounds 2-4. While it might not be their most preferred need to fill, it is still a need and taking the player you have a higher grade on makes sense.

jurb26 said:
The draft isn't a perfect science and although filling needs is important, it doesn't dictate what teams do. I can see a lot of scenarios where RB is the BPA in rounds 2-4. While it might not be their most preferred need to fill, it is still a need and taking the player you have a higher grade on makes sense.
It does not make sense if they first sign a veteran RB expected to make the roster, BPA or not. Unless they cut Brown, which I endorse but do not expect.

Too many other holes on the team. If they stand pat at RB entering the draft, then I agree they will and should draft one.

EBF said:
Mathews leaving is good news almost regardless of what happens between now and September. He's a former top 15 pick and a very talented guy when healthy. The odds of San Diego finding a player of equivalent talent in FA or the draft are modest, which means Oliver's odds at a significant role just increased. In terms of rookies, I'd concede that the spot is lost if San Diego gets Gurley, Abdullah, Gordon, and maybe Cobb. The other rookie backs aren't that great IMO, though a few others could potentially beat him out. Seems unlikely that San Diego will go after a big name FA like Bush, Spiller, or Murray. A trade is possible, but those are always unlikely.

Add it all up and this will probably be a battle between Brown/Woodhead/Oliver and a 2nd-5th round rookie.
Why is this unlikely? Havent followed the situation/cap closely, but was hoping for Spiller to possibly end up there.

The staff really likes Woodhead. If he stays healthy I could see them settling for the 3 rbs they have now getting most of the reps next season. Obviously you'll need another RB or two for depth, but it wouldn't surprise me if they don't invest much in additional running backs this offseason.

The staff really likes Woodhead. If he stays healthy I could see them settling for the 3 rbs they have now getting most of the reps next season. Obviously you'll need another RB or two for depth, but it wouldn't surprise me if they don't invest much in additional running backs this offseason.
If they do, Woodhead should be more of a role player / COP back.

They want to use him as their Sproles-type 3rd down back. All they need is another RB to share 1st/2nd down carries with Oliver.

They want to use him as their Sproles-type 3rd down back. All they need is another RB to share 1st/2nd down carries with Oliver.
This. Hopefully that's not Donald Brown. I like Oliver long term as the 3rd back in the rotation that gives the main guy a breather (basically what Brown was supposed to be).

Chargers Mike McCoy: RB Branden Oliver can be workhorse

by Dave Peters | CBSSports.com

(3/24/2015) After losing running back Ryan Mathews to free agency, Chargers head coach Mike McCoy believes that Branden Oliver can be a workhorse back for the team, per ESPN.

“Ryan was very unique,” McCoy said. “He’s different than what we have now. But as that physical guy, yes, you can say Branden is that physical guy we have now.”

Oliver, an undrafted free agent in 2014, led the Chargers in rushing last season with 582 yards rushing and three touchdowns. He was named Pepsi AFC offensive rookie of the week twice last year.

McCoy went on to say that Oliver will benefit from the return of Danny Woodhead and teammate Donald Brown in 2015. Both players missed time in 2014.

“We can win with the three guys we have now,” McCoy said. “I believe that. We’re going to play them all. So, they’re all going to play in their own way, and we’ll see what happens through the draft and the rest of free agency with what’s available.”

The 23-year-old ball carrier signed a four-year contract with the team last season.

I don't put a lot of faith in mock drafts, but I listened to Chargers talk radio on the way home from work yesterday, and the host went through about a dozen of the latest mock drafts from the "experts". FWIW, all but one of them had the Chargers taking Gordon or Gurley.

cstu said:

(3/24/2015) After losing running back Ryan Mathews to free agency, Chargers head coach Mike McCoy believes that Branden Oliver can be a workhorse back for the team, per ESPN.

“Ryan was very unique,” McCoy said. “He’s different than what we have now. But as that physical guy, yes, you can say Branden is that physical guy we have now.”

Oliver, an undrafted free agent in 2014, led the Chargers in rushing last season with 582 yards rushing and three touchdowns. He was named Pepsi AFC offensive rookie of the week twice last year.

McCoy went on to say that Oliver will benefit from the return of Danny Woodhead and teammate Donald Brown in 2015. Both players missed time in 2014.

“We can win with the three guys we have now,” McCoy said. “I believe that. We’re going to play them all. So, they’re all going to play in their own way, and we’ll see what happens through the draft and the rest of free agency with what’s available.”

The 23-year-old ball carrier signed a four-year contract with the team last season.
I don't see McCoy quoted here as saying Oliver can be a workhorse. He is quoted as saying he can be a "physical guy". He then followed that by saying he would benefit from the return of two other RBs, suggesting a committee approach, which should surprise no one based on this coaching staff's track record.

cstu said:

Not that coach-speak means much in the first place, but that title seems misleading to me.

cstu said:

Not that coach-speak means much in the first place, but that title seems misleading to me.
Yeah, the quotes in the article say the complete opposite.

cstu said:

He compared him to Mathews, who was the workhorse back when healthy.

The Chargers are either going to draft a starter or give Oliver a lot of carries.

cstu said:

The Chargers are either going to draft a starter or give Oliver a lot of carries.
Did you stop after that sentence?

When was Mathews healthy?

I have Oliver and hope for the best, but nothing in the posted articles suggests he'll be anything more than a committee back. His legs being the youngest and his game being the least experienced give me some hope he'll be able to put together the type of training camp that takes over the #1 spot but he'll still be stuck with a staff/system that has never really been a true #1 RB type system.

When was Mathews healthy?

I have Oliver and hope for the best, but nothing in the posted articles suggests he'll be anything more than a committee back. His legs being the youngest and his game being the least experienced give me some hope he'll be able to put together the type of training camp that takes over the #1 spot but he'll still be stuck with a staff/system that has never really been a true #1 RB type system.
2013 he had 285 carries.

cstu said:

The way the Chargers use their RB's it's a given that it'll be RBBC. However, Woodhead should only get about 100 carries and Brown won't get many carries if Oliver plays well. 200 carries and 50 receptions isn't a stretch for Oliver if they don't draft a RB high.

cstu said:

Lol, he compared him by saying how different they are. He said nothing in there about Oliver being a workhorse.

cstu said:

The way the Chargers use their RB's it's a given that it'll be RBBC. However, Woodhead should only get about 100 carries and Brown won't get many carries if Oliver plays well. 200 carries and 50 receptions isn't a stretch for Oliver if they don't draft a RB high.
That doesn't change the point that not only did McCoy not say "Branden Oliver can be workhorse", but he in fact implied that he wouldn't be.

That doesn't change the point that not only did McCoy not say "Branden Oliver can be workhorse", but he in fact implied that he wouldn't be.
Yes, it's a bad title but you need look past the trees to see the forest. It's a good sign that McCoy is referring to Oliver as the "physical guy". No one expects Oliver to be a 300 carry 'workhorse'.

Yes, it's a bad title but you need look past the trees to see the forest. It's a good sign that McCoy is referring to Oliver as the "physical guy". No one expects Oliver to be a 300 carry 'workhorse'.
I'm an Oliver owner so I'd love for him to see the bulk of the workload, but McCoy can only really talk about the guys he has on the team right now - so I don't consider it that meaningful yet. The fact that he's talking in terms of a 3 back system isn't something to get all excited about. Obviously if they don't add anyone in the draft (in early rounds) I do think Oliver is the best bet to lead the team in carries, but I'm not sure that the team will not be drafting a back. Oliver looked worn down by the end of the season.

I'm really interested in seeing what Oliver could do with a more featured role, but I can't realistically imagine any NFL franchise rolling with a strategy that would have them going into week 1 with an unchallenged, UDFA atop the depth chart. I'll be very surprised and very high on Oliver if this is still the actual situation come August.

I think there are about 8-9 backs in the draft who could push Oliver. Not all of those guys will turn out to be legit, but even so there are still quite a few grenades to dodge. I'm not expecting him to open the season with a clear starting job, but I like what he showed in college and in the NFL last year. Sometimes it's just about having the right guy in the right place at the right time (i.e. CJ Anderson, Forsett, Knowshon).

Given that he won't fetch much on the dynasty market, he's a clear hold for me. Raising the specter of the Gurley/Gordon boogeyman is largely pointless considering that Oliver is valued right around dynasty RB50. In other words, a guy from whom nothing is expected.

Rotoworld:

Branden Oliver - RB - Chargers

Chargers GM Tom Telesco expressed confidence in the current makeup of his backfield at the NFL owners' meetings.

We found this notable, but approach it with a grain of salt; the Chargers still seem very likely to use a high draft pick at running back. "Branden Oliver can be a starter in this league," Telesco said. "Donald Brown has been a starter. ... We know what Danny (Woodhead) can do. We have three great guys. I'm not saying we wouldn't add somebody, but we don't need to." Boise State's Jay Ajayi would make a lot of sense in San Diego as a gap-scheme runner with three-down tools.

Source: Union-Tribune San Diego

Mar 25 - 8:59 PM

I'm an Oliver owner so I'd love for him to see the bulk of the workload, but McCoy can only really talk about the guys he has on the team right now - so I don't consider it that meaningful yet. The fact that he's talking in terms of a 3 back system isn't something to get all excited about. Obviously if they don't add anyone in the draft (in early rounds) I do think Oliver is the best bet to lead the team in carries, but I'm not sure that the team will not be drafting a back. Oliver looked worn down by the end of the season.
The term "the rookie wall" comes to mind for me. Then again, he really shouldn't have hit a wall when he really only played what should have been a typical 12 game schedule. Still, that proverbial wall is more about a season starting in June and running through January rather than an actual game count.

I'm really interested in seeing what Oliver could do with a more featured role, but I can't realistically imagine any NFL franchise rolling with a strategy that would have them going into week 1 with an unchallenged, UDFA atop the depth chart. I'll be very surprised and very high on Oliver if this is still the actual situation come August.
See above. I am still cautiously optimistic that he could take over the reigns in camp. Hopefully the team doesn't spend big capital on a RB in the draft and gets a player that is more likely to have to fight for a spot, rather than being considered the immediate favorite.

Last edited by a moderator:
The term "the rookie wall" comes to mind for me. Then again, he really shouldn't have hit a wall when he really only played what should have been a typical 12 game schedule. Still, that proverbial wall is more about a season starting in June and running through January rather than an actual game count.

See above. I am still cautiously optimistic that he could take over the reigns in camp. Hopefully the team doesn't spend big capital on a RB in the draft and gets a player that is more likely to have to fight for a spot, rather than being considered the immediate favorite.
he hit the wall after 3 games

Users who are viewing this thread