What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Branden Oliver (2 Viewers)

Oliver had a really low dynasty ADP/ranking even before this pick.

Most people weren't assuming that he was going to be handed a starting role. If they were, he wouldn't have been RB53 on dynasty lists.

The guy getting replaced is Mathews. One first round RB out. Another first round RB in.

:lmao:

Yeah, it was totally expected (and priced in) that they would trade up to take the 2nd RB drafted in the first round in the last 3 years.

After the first pre-season game, it's hard to give up on this guy.

Looked better than most and had phenomenal TD run... I root this kid till the end!

From what I saw, Gordon didn't actually hit the holes that opened up. I think the first-string O-line played very well, and Watt especially had some good blocks (the double down-field block on Woodhead's TD run was strong, if a bit lucky). There were holes on Gordon's runs, but he didn't see them or didn't bite at them. Obviously it's just preseason game 1, but it's not nothing.
Had to quote this from Melvin thread and add that if Melvin also has problems with pass protection, maybe and I'm just saying maybe Oliver can show what he can do!

He's good. If he had a little more burst, he'd be really good.

I wasn't wowed by what I saw from Gordon last night. It's way too early to panic on him though.

From what I saw, Gordon didn't actually hit the holes that opened up. I think the first-string O-line played very well, and Watt especially had some good blocks (the double down-field block on Woodhead's TD run was strong, if a bit lucky). There were holes on Gordon's runs, but he didn't see them or didn't bite at them. Obviously it's just preseason game 1, but it's not nothing.
Had to quote this from Melvin thread and add that if Melvin also has problems with pass protection, maybe and I'm just saying maybe Oliver can show what he can do!
He showed what he can do last season. Unfortunately, it's not enough.

It's not enough to be the new Peterson, but I think he showed enough to be capable of making in the NFL. How will that turn out fantasy wise is a question, but I doubt this kid will get kicked out of the league any time soon. I think producing some Sproles-type numbers is the ceiling here, but if that happens it's enough for me to keep him.

It's not enough to be the new Peterson, but I think he showed enough to be capable of making in the NFL. How will that turn out fantasy wise is a question, but I doubt this kid will get kicked out of the league any time soon. I think producing some Sproles-type numbers is the ceiling here, but if that happens it's enough for me to keep him.
Sure, he's good enough to stick in the league, but this thread wouldn't be 20 pages long if that's all people were hoping for.

He's not much like Sproles at all, and I highly doubt that will be his role (certainly not while Woodhead is playing). He's more of an all-around back-up RB.

humpback said:
Fireinside said:
humpback said:
Fireinside said:
Sure, he's good enough to stick in the league, but this thread wouldn't be 20 pages long if that's all people were hoping for.

He's not much like Sproles at all, and I highly doubt that will be his role (certainly not while Woodhead is playing). He's more of an all-around back-up RB.
That may be true and I essentially agree, but if SD had an important goal line carry right now there is no doubt in my mind that I would choose to hand the ball off to Oliver right now. He is quick and aggressive to hit the hole and this OL isn't as bad as last year so he doesn't have to fight contact AT the line of scrimmage. If watching Gordon doing the "Icky Shuffle" is frustrating in the middle of the field I can only imagine how frustrating it would be watching him mill around the backfield against a stacked front. This could be even more of a RBBC than most people realize.

Big play from BO tonight:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000518132/Can-t-Miss-Play-Oliver-70-yard-Touchdown-catch

I didn't see the game, but Gordon's stats were ugly. He was also very bad in week one, which I did see. They will give him every opportunity to step up since they spent such a high pick on him, but thus far Oliver is the one who has been flashing. It's an interesting contrast between those two. Oliver is so compact with such great agility and elusiveness. His biggest weakness is that he lacks long speed (though he looked plenty fast there). Gordon is almost the opposite. Good playing speed, but long strides and suspect ability to operate in tight spaces. The NFL is not always very forgiving of guys who need space to uncoil their stride, as we saw with Andre Williams last year. I wouldn't hit the total panic button with Gordon just yet, but I have him in one league and am starting to think about offering him up for Abdullah or K White.

Looks like the Bolts will go into the year with Gordon-Woodhead as the starters and Oliver as the backup. I would expect Donald Brown to be :bye: .

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000518132/Can-t-Miss-Play-Oliver-70-yard-Touchdown-catch

I didn't see the game, but Gordon's stats were ugly. He was also very bad in week one, which I did see. They will give him every opportunity to step up since they spent such a high pick on him, but thus far Oliver is the one who has been flashing. It's an interesting contrast between those two. Oliver is so compact with such great agility and elusiveness. His biggest weakness is that he lacks long speed (though he looked plenty fast there). Gordon is almost the opposite. Good playing speed, but long strides and suspect ability to operate in tight spaces. The NFL is not always very forgiving of guys who need space to uncoil their stride, as we saw with Andre Williams last year. I wouldn't hit the total panic button with Gordon just yet, but I have him in one league and am starting to think about offering him up for Abdullah or K White.

Looks like the Bolts will go into the year with Gordon-Woodhead as the starters and Oliver as the backup. I would expect Donald Brown to be :bye: .
I think they should cut Brown, provided they have a good candidate for a 4th RB, though I'm not aware of who that would be at this time. They will not go with 3 RBs this year, not after last year when at one point they had lost their top 3 RBs.

Furthermore, the current GM signed Brown, and he came from Indy. And the coaching staff have consistently had nothing but positive things to say about Brown. It is also true that Rivers is the most important player on the team, and Brown is the best of the RBs on the team at pass blocking. He may not (hopefully will not) play much, but I would be quite surprised to see him cut.

Gordon looked fine in the first preseason game. I wasn't able to watch tonight's game so I can't comment; I'll have to watch the replay later this week.

It would be beyond stunning for Oliver to cut into Gordon's playing time significantly. They had an entire season to watch BO up close and evaluate, and the FO decided to trade up for Gordon based in large part on that evaluation.

Of note is the Chargers OLine having new face or places for 4/5 starters. In time the line should be much improved, but the coaching staff has admitted in recent days that it is going to take time for them to gel and for guys to get comfortable at new positions.

Now is the time to buy Gordon, not sell.

Gordon looked fine in the first preseason game. I wasn't able to watch tonight's game so I can't comment; I'll have to watch the replay later this week.It would be beyond stunning for Oliver to cut into Gordon's playing time significantly. They had an entire season to watch BO up close and evaluate, and the FO decided to trade up for Gordon based in large part on that evaluation.
Every team has a plan for its first round pick, but only a fraction of those guys live up to the expectations. I agree that Gordon is highly likely to be the workhorse this year, but at the same time this is the NFL and if you think things always go according to plan then you're mistaken. You don't have to look far to find guys who weren't handed starting jobs out of college, yet eventually found success. Players like Arian Foster, CJ Anderson, Alfred Morris, Justin Forsett, and Joique Bell (all top 15 FF backs last year) were, at one point or another, all major underdogs to become starters based on what was "supposed to" happen. Almost half of last year's top 25 RBs were lightly-regarded as prospects (add Ellington, Bradshaw, Ivory, Asiata, and Fred Jackson to the list). Some guys outperform their draft slot and some guys underwhelm.

It would be absurd to write off Gordon after ~15 preseason carries. At the same time, the reason why I pay attention to these games is to try to get a jump on things. If someone looks better or worse than what I expected, I always make note of it. In Gordon's case, there are other guys in his dynasty ADP who I'm bullish on (namely K White and Abdullah), so it's not necessarily about bailing on him as much as it's about potentially getting someone that I think is even better. FWIW, I haven't pulled the trigger on any offers yet. Just thinking about it. These windows can open and close quickly, one way or the other.

Good stuff as always EBF. I just want people who are seeing Oliver excel against second team preseason defense to pump the brakes a bit and understand the context.

Good stuff as always EBF. I just want people who are seeing Oliver excel against second team preseason defense to pump the brakes a bit and understand the context.
I think so too. At the same time, Oliver did excel last year in real games and has improved. So the question is, do you write Oliver completely off or do you believe he can deliver at some point.

For me this guy is a keeper, but on the other hand we have really large rosters in our league, but still I like his talent level and believe that he's in a good spot to get some contribution even this year.

For me Gordon hasn't shown anything yet to get me to dump this guy. I'm on a wait and see tactic and firmly stand with Oliver till the end. If Gordon explodes, that don't make Oliver a guy that sucks. Expectations between Oliver and Gordon are totally different and if you talk about price, Olivers price is at the moment more intriguing than Gordons.

Gordon looked fine in the first preseason game. I wasn't able to watch tonight's game so I can't comment; I'll have to watch the replay later this week.It would be beyond stunning for Oliver to cut into Gordon's playing time significantly. They had an entire season to watch BO up close and evaluate, and the FO decided to trade up for Gordon based in large part on that evaluation.
Every team has a plan for its first round pick, but only a fraction of those guys live up to the expectations. I agree that Gordon is highly likely to be the workhorse this year, but at the same time this is the NFL and if you think things always go according to plan then you're mistaken. You don't have to look far to find guys who weren't handed starting jobs out of college, yet eventually found success. Players like Arian Foster, CJ Anderson, Alfred Morris, Justin Forsett, and Joique Bell (all top 15 FF backs last year) were, at one point or another, all major underdogs to become starters based on what was "supposed to" happen. Almost half of last year's top 25 RBs were lightly-regarded as prospects (add Ellington, Bradshaw, Ivory, Asiata, and Fred Jackson to the list). Some guys outperform their draft slot and some guys underwhelm.

It would be absurd to write off Gordon after ~15 preseason carries. At the same time, the reason why I pay attention to these games is to try to get a jump on things. If someone looks better or worse than what I expected, I always make note of it. In Gordon's case, there are other guys in his dynasty ADP who I'm bullish on (namely K White and Abdullah), so it's not necessarily about bailing on him as much as it's about potentially getting someone that I think is even better. FWIW, I haven't pulled the trigger on any offers yet. Just thinking about it. These windows can open and close quickly, one way or the other.
:hophead:

I think so too. At the same time, Oliver did excel last year in real games and has improved. So the question is, do you write Oliver completely off or do you believe he can deliver at some point.

For me this guy is a keeper, but on the other hand we have really large rosters in our league, but still I like his talent level and believe that he's in a good spot to get some contribution even this year.

For me Gordon hasn't shown anything yet to get me to dump this guy. I'm on a wait and see tactic and firmly stand with Oliver till the end. If Gordon explodes, that don't make Oliver a guy that sucks. Expectations between Oliver and Gordon are totally different and if you talk about price, Olivers price is at the moment more intriguing than Gordons.
This is the part I disagree with. Oliver played well at times last year, but overall his YPC was 3.6. He didn't really "excel", and the coaching staff and FO thought so much of his overall performance that they traded up in the 1st for a RB. The Chargers had several holes on the roster, so spending the 1st rounder on a RB indicates they thought there was a huge hole there.

I think so too. At the same time, Oliver did excel last year in real games and has improved. So the question is, do you write Oliver completely off or do you believe he can deliver at some point. For me this guy is a keeper, but on the other hand we have really large rosters in our league, but still I like his talent level and believe that he's in a good spot to get some contribution even this year.

This is the part I disagree with. Oliver played well at times last year, but overall his YPC was 3.6. He didn't really "excel", and the coaching staff and FO thought so much of his overall performance that they traded up in the 1st for a RB. The Chargers had several holes on the roster, so spending the 1st rounder on a RB indicates they thought there was a huge hole there.
Yeah, lost me there. Oliver in no way excelled last year. He was a poor starter and thus replaced by SD this offseason, trading up for a guy they hope becomes a bellcow. Oliver is a replaceable talent and he was replaced.

SD had a need at the position with Mathews gone. I think they obviously want Gordon to be the guy, but that doesn't mean the other guys are automatically trash. To give you an example, the Texans spent a second rounder on Ben Tate the year after signing Arian Foster as a UDFA. The Bills spent a first round pick on Marshawn Lynch the year after they signed Fred Jackson. The Saints drafted Mark Ingram a couple years after signing Pierre Thomas as a UDFA. I think that even when a UDFA has shown flashes of talent, there's still a lingering lack of trust in the player due to the fact that nothing was expected of him when he was signed.

I don't think Oliver did well enough in 2014 to make the team feel comfortable with the idea of him as a starter. His numbers were pretty mediocre or even outright bad. However, in almost every game of his that I've watched (preseason and regular season), he has shown up and made plays. He has a knack for finding yards that he wasn't supposed to get. I think he will prove to be a pretty valuable player to have on the roster. I don't think he will blow up ala Foster, but I could see something like a Fred Jackson/Pierre Thomas type of career where he kind of refuses to go away and finds a way to be useful even though he's never an outright unquestioned starter.

While I don't expect a monster HoF type of career, it's worth pointing out that LaDainian Tomlinson also had a 3.6 YPC as a rookie for San Diego. A player is not locked into his rookie numbers. Some guys improve with experience. If Oliver had been a top 10 draft pick people would probably be emphasizing the positives of his rookie year and projecting improvement instead of only looking at the negatives. He had some very good moments mixed in with the struggles. Personally, I don't see BO as a top 20 back in the NFL, but possibly top 40. If Gordon comes in and thrives then there will be no role for him, but if Gordon struggles then it opens the door for some type of messy committee.

How is he with the receptions? I see him on my wire now and I have guys like Quizz Rodgers and josh Robinson rostered. (12 team, 20 spots). So I'm thinking about him.

How is he with the receptions? I see him on my wire now and I have guys like Quizz Rodgers and josh Robinson rostered. (12 team, 20 spots). So I'm thinking about him.
Pretty good receiver. The issue there is that SD already has a specialist in that department with Woodhead.

Anyone who thinks this will be a three headed monster is fooling themselves. Oliver is a backup barring an injury to Gordon.

:goodposting:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10284/melvin-gordon/1

Rivers seems to think so :P

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2015/8/31/9233931/the-san-diego-chargers-wasted-their-draft-pick

Branden Oliver was an undrafted free agent rookie last season. He made the team with an impressive preseason performance, and was pushed into the starting lineup when the guys ahead of him were injured.

As an undrafted free agent rookie starter, Oliver exceeded (low) expectations. He was solid. He was hard to tackle. He occasionally made big plays. He very rarely appeared hesitant, and almost never left yards on the field.

While Melvin Gordon has looked like he's not ready for the NFL in the preseason, Branden Oliver looks ready for stardom. He performed well behind a terrible offensive line last season, and their improvement is seeing a direct improvement in his game as well.

In three preseason games, Branden Oliver has carried the ball 19 times for 75 yards and 2 rushing touchdowns. He's also caught one pass, which was turned into a 70 yard touchdown reception. If San Diego could get that type of production out of him every week, he'd win the MVP Award.

And it's not as if an undrafted free agent making the leap to one of the league's best RBs in his second season would be unheard of. In his rookie season, Arian Foster averaged 9 carries and 42.8 yards per game. Next year, it went up to 20.4 and 101 yards per game. Last season's 11.4 carries and 41.6 yards per game for Oliver isn't too dissimilar of a starting point.

Any chance Gordon stays on bench and Oliver shines and takes over?
I can't see current management letting that happen unless Gordon continues to fumble twice a game. They (stupidly) invested too much into Gordon to bench him for Oliver.

Oliver getting the start today? Obviously Woodhead will have a nice game, but I imagine Oliver will get a lot of work, and he seems to always look good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dropped Bradshaw and I have a feeling he is going to score today, but plugged in Oliver since Gordon is out and it's the raiders. :praying:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking like Gordon will be inactive but I'm not rushing to get Oliver in any of my lineups. I remember him torching Oakland last year on the road but this is a different year. SD's offensive line is a mess. They have done a noble job protecting Rivers but their run blocking is not up to par. Additionally the Raider D has been very good against the run this year. At $4,700 on FD Oliver could be a punt in a GPP but I would avoid in cash games. YMMV.

Just added him and starting him in place of Gio. My other options were Ellington or David Johnson. I think I have to give Oliver a shot.

In over DMC.....I'm actually kind of wavering on the decision, cuz DMC will prolly break one and get a pile of dump offs today

Users who are viewing this thread