What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Biden climate change order to tell federal agencies to eliminate fossil fuel subsidies (1 Viewer)

The above is an illustration of the below...the response to this should be a doozy if there is one.  :popcorn:  

The bigger picture goes back WELL before the time in the last 20ish years where China has began to become an economic superpower when we're talking about human/societal impact on the environment. 
and POOF!!!!  they gone  :lol:  

Nuclear power scares the F out of me. 

From what I have gathered, aren't all or most of our carbon plants in the US 100% emissions free? If they're clean energy, why do we need to move away from them at our own detriment?
Powerful lobbies, especially in fossil fuels.  There is a nuclear plant 10 minutes from me,  there has never been a scare.  The government has a lot of control over the plants, especially in maintenance.  The jobs pay great, especially if you are on the traveling maintenance crews.  

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/achtung-baby-its-cold-outside-germanys-green-energy-fail-rescued-coal-and-gas?fbclid=IwAR19hvjMzCqAKkVCntPgigrGfQlhfXiTRz6utTpZY4DZs48VYuNOwDvZlvs

....Germany's millions of solar panels are blanketed in snow and ice....(not working)...
Its 30,000 Wind Turbines are not turning in the Freezing, Windless Weather....Actually......they need a constant INPUT of electricity from the grid so they don't freeze up & chew up their internal workings.....
COAL plants to the RESCUE...!

Barely a week after Davos luminaries met with world leaders and Silicon Valley oligarchs to plot their latest phase of the Great Reset, the underlying provenance of their entire ‘climate emergency’ thesis is still struggling to correspond with reality.

Their much-celebrated “Zero Carbon” agenda which virtue-signaling leaders like Justin Trudeau, Boris Johnson and Joe Biden are currently advocating for – is proving to be a lot more difficult to achieve in reality than it is on their elaborate UN Agenda 2030 Powerpoint slides, computer modeled projections and Zoom calls.

No one is being hit with this sobering reality more than the Europe’s premier green trailblazer, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, whose country is currently in the grips of Europe’s record-breaking freeze this winter.

Germany’s held up as the world’s wind and solar capital. But, at the moment, the ‘green’ stuff can’t be purchased, at any price.

Its millions of solar panels are blanketed in snow and ice and breathless, freezing weather is encouraging its 30,000 wind turbines to do absolutely nothing, at all. [Note: don’t forget about the constant supply of electricity from the grid that these things chew up heating their internal workings so they don’t freeze up solid!]

So much for the ‘transition’ to an all wind and sun powered future – aka the ‘Energiewende’.

SC, I don't understand your purpose in posting these "all or nothing" type articles. It's well-known fact that any large-scale industry transition is going to have challenges before it takes over.

Look at e-commerce/home delivery vs. physical retail over the last 20 years. Who's winning now?

In this case it's common knowledge that the electricity storage challenge will take another 5-15 years to completely solve.  In the meantime, coal and gas will continue to provide baseload electricity and fill in gaps.

Everyone knows this.

SC, I don't understand your purpose in posting these "all or nothing" type articles. It's well-known fact that any large-scale industry transition is going to have challenges before it takes over.

Look at e-commerce/home delivery vs. physical retail over the last 20 years. Who's winning now?

In this case it's common knowledge that the electricity storage challenge will take another 5-15 years to completely solve.  In the meantime, coal and gas will continue to provide baseload electricity and fill in gaps.

Everyone knows this.
I'm all for electric and clean energy sources - and we'll get there over time

For dictator Biden to Executive Order a demand to move away now and force a conversion it appears the United States simply cannot do right now .... I don't understand it and the more I dig the more I find it an impossibility for Biden's agenda to make sense

As the demand grows for electric, how expensive is that going to be for low income people? that's a HUGE problem - and yet nobody seems to care.

it would take 15 years just to get approval to build 1 nuclear reactor or to double the size of the US solar and wind grid ..... which would double the output to MAYBE 10% more production and we're talking losing 50% of how electric is produced

The article I posted echo's this

a 50 year conversion ? maybe ... 75-100 years ? probably   15? no possible way

trivia question -  selling electric cars wasn't the #1 money maker for Tesla last year  - do you know what was ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of the reason we are getting rolling blackouts in Texas during record colds is because half of our 12,000 megawatts of wind power are offline in Texas.

The problem with rolling blackouts is they always happen under the worst conditions. They never occur in mid october when it is high of 75 and low of 60.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2021/02/14/historic-winter-storm-freezes-texas-wind-turbines-hampering-electric-generation/4483230001/
most of the drop in renewable output during the cold stretch was expected and planned for.  20GW missing from natural gas production was not 

https://twitter.com/cohan_ds/status/1361346284230234112?s=21

The forecasted wind power on ercots site is low because the turbines are froze.

If the turbines were not frozen they would forecast more wind power. 
nope.  projections were and are based on historical norms of peak winter events.

As I sit here freezing in my house without power, the entire infrastructure failed us. Plants of every type are now offline. Why the hell is a coal plant offline, they can run them in norther alberta.

Remember when CA had the wildfire problem and Trump mocked them and told them to rake more leaves and initially refused to provide federal aid?

Biden's response to TX seems a bit more, umm, presidential?

Wind turbines frozen and solar panels covered in snow.  I love this Green New Deal.  
Just two post above yours is a post saying their whole infrastructure was failed them. Maybe sometimes, no matter our technology, Mother Nature with just a wave of her hand shows us who's the boss.

Nuclear power is offline.

One of the two reactors of the South Texas Nuclear Power Station in Matagorda County shut down, knocking out about half of its 2,700 megawatts of generating capacity.

As a percentage coal/gas are doing better than wind.  More coal/gas is offline, but they make-up a larger percentage of power generation. Although, my opinion has changed. I do not blame wind for the failures I blame the shortcuts they take in texas related to insulation from the cold.

During a Tuesday press conference, representatives from the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT), said there are 45,000 megawatts offline. Of that, 15,000 megawatts are wind and 30,000 are gas and coal.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/6764764002

knowledge dropper said:
Wind turbines frozen and solar panels covered in snow.  I love this Green New Deal.  
You forget to mention all their energy sources are down?

Wind works in plenty of places colder than Texas. They weren't prepared for this.

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/achtung-baby-its-cold-outside-germanys-green-energy-fail-rescued-coal-and-gas?fbclid=IwAR19hvjMzCqAKkVCntPgigrGfQlhfXiTRz6utTpZY4DZs48VYuNOwDvZlvs

....Germany's millions of solar panels are blanketed in snow and ice....(not working)...
Its 30,000 Wind Turbines are not turning in the Freezing, Windless Weather....Actually......they need a constant INPUT of electricity from the grid so they don't freeze up & chew up their internal workings.....
COAL plants to the RESCUE...!

Barely a week after Davos luminaries met with world leaders and Silicon Valley oligarchs to plot their latest phase of the Great Reset, the underlying provenance of their entire ‘climate emergency’ thesis is still struggling to correspond with reality.

Their much-celebrated “Zero Carbon” agenda which virtue-signaling leaders like Justin Trudeau, Boris Johnson and Joe Biden are currently advocating for – is proving to be a lot more difficult to achieve in reality than it is on their elaborate UN Agenda 2030 Powerpoint slides, computer modeled projections and Zoom calls.

No one is being hit with this sobering reality more than the Europe’s premier green trailblazer, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, whose country is currently in the grips of Europe’s record-breaking freeze this winter.

Germany’s held up as the world’s wind and solar capital. But, at the moment, the ‘green’ stuff can’t be purchased, at any price.

Its millions of solar panels are blanketed in snow and ice and breathless, freezing weather is encouraging its 30,000 wind turbines to do absolutely nothing, at all. [Note: don’t forget about the constant supply of electricity from the grid that these things chew up heating their internal workings so they don’t freeze up solid!]

So much for the ‘transition’ to an all wind and sun powered future – aka the ‘Energiewende’.
There are really only two green countries who are successful, France and Canada.  Canada due to their vast natural resources which they widely utilize for hydroelectricity and France who have greatly expanded their nuclear capability.  The rest of the world hoping for some utopia view that solar or wind provide complete solutions, have failed miserably.  But let's keep pushing that rope and in the meantime kill off our nation's oil production so we once again can have Arab boots at our throats.  Biden's Make America Great Again plan is to take us back to the Carter years of obscenely high tax rates, high energy costs, double digit inflation and unemployment!  

Wind works in plenty of places colder than Texas. They weren't prepared for this.
The difference is, in Texas this kind of weather is a once in a hundred year occurrence and with proper planning is easy to avoid.  Cold and snow in Germany is a guarantee.

The difference is, in Texas this kind of weather is a once in a hundred year occurrence and with proper planning is easy to avoid.  Cold and snow in Germany is a guarantee.
Yes, and because of this traditional sources of energy have failed there as well. Odd to single out clean energies.

Yes, and because of this traditional sources of energy have failed there as well. Odd to single out clean energies.
It is well below freezing here and with over a foot of fresh snow, house is warm and electricity is working fine.  That said, everyone with solar panels on their roof would be SOL without fossil feuls.  

It is well below freezing here and with over a foot of fresh snow, house is warm and electricity is working fine.  That said, everyone with solar panels on their roof would be SOL without fossil feuls.  
Seems like a shift from talking about the problems in Texas.

I don't know solar but yeah you would probably need to have snow cleared from them for them to work.

Seems like a shift from talking about the problems in Texas.

I don't know solar but yeah you would probably need to have snow cleared from them for them to work.
Walking on roofs with heavy snow is not too advisable.  Maybe there will be creative solutions. 

Walking on roofs with heavy snow is not too advisable.  Maybe there will be creative solutions. 
What does this have to do with wind turbines in Texas? The Abbot guy where this all seemed to originate from was talking out his ### and got caught. Seems pretty straight forward.

In regards to solar in Texas seems like it would be very viable for the 99% of the time they don't have snow. Like most of their energy sources they weren't ready for this crazy weather.

There are really only two green countries who are successful, France and Canada.  
I'm not sure what you mean by successful?

Iceland, Costa Rica, Sweden, Germany, Norway, and a host of other "successful" countries do better in terms of renewables than France and Canada

The right is quite literally tilting at windmills. I was wondering when this misinformation about Texas would make its way here.

I'm not sure what you mean by successful?

Iceland, Costa Rica, Sweden, Germany, Norway, and a host of other "successful" countries do better in terms of renewables than France and Canada
Good thing it never gets below freezing in these countries.

The right is quite literally tilting at windmills. I was wondering when this misinformation about Texas would make its way here.

Good thing it never gets below freezing in these countries.
I get they had the wrong equipment since this is an outlier weather event. Not sure how much more the weather proof windmills cost and if anyone messed this up. 

Was just a dumb point to be making from the Texas Gov. Probably on purpose to distract, who knows.

I get they had the wrong equipment since this is an outlier weather event. Not sure how much more the weather proof windmills cost and if anyone messed this up. 

Was just a dumb point to be making from the Texas Gov. Probably on purpose to distract, who knows.
They're around 5% more in cost. Yes, it's a dumb point to distract from the much bigger energy failures happening in Texas right now. And it worked.

They're around 5% more in cost. Yes, it's a dumb point to distract from the much bigger energy failures happening in Texas right now. And it worked.
They prolly should have sprung for the better model then.

Not sure how well this worked though if his intention was to distract. I hadn’t heard his original statement but have certainly heard him be corrected and called out. 

I guess I didn't know, but how in the H does gas & coal not perform.  It's minus 30 degrees in ND right now & everyone has heat.

So is this a major bonehead F up by Texas?

Just asking.
I’ll let my Texas friends / energy experts correct me if this is not 100% accurate but Texas energy isn’t set up to handle these extreme temps, wind included.

Each energy has it’s counters for extreme temps, wind included, but Texas didn’t prepare for these. 

I’ll let my Texas friends / energy experts correct me if this is not 100% accurate but Texas energy isn’t set up to handle these extreme temps, wind included.

Each energy has it’s counters for extreme temps, wind included, but Texas didn’t prepare for these. 
didn't mean to put the information burden on you so did some reading:

The problem, according to the WSJ, is a Texas-sized reliance on wind power, leaving the grid more vulnerable to bad weather.

Half of wind turbines froze last week, causing wind’s share of electricity to plunge to 8% from 42%. Power prices in the wholesale market spiked, and grid regulators on Friday warned of rolling blackouts. Natural gas and coal generators ramped up to cover the supply gap but couldn’t meet the surging demand for electricity—which half of households rely on for heating—even as many families powered up their gas furnaces. Then some gas wells and pipelines froze.

In short, there wasn’t sufficient baseload power from coal and nuclear to support the grid. Baseload power is needed to stabilize grid frequency amid changes in demand and supply. When there’s not enough baseload power, the grid gets unbalanced and power sources can fail. The more the grid relies on intermittent renewables like wind and solar, the more baseload power is needed to back them up.

Coal in recent years, has been declining on the Texas grid, and renewable sources such as wind and solar have been increasing, according to the WSJ.

Renewables and natural gas are expected to substitute, but Texas is showing their limitations. In the Lone Star State, bad weather has constrained the supply of gas, but government policies do the same in other states. New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and New Jersey’s Phil Murphy have blocked pipelines to deliver shale gas from Pennsylvania to the Northeast.

Their pipeline blockade has driven up the cost of electricity. The average retail price of power is about 50% higher in New Jersey and New York than in Pennsylvania. They and other governors have also poured subsidies into wind and solar, though neither can provide reliable power in frosty weather.

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission is supposed to ensure grid reliability, but under Barack Obama it promoted renewables over reliability. Democrats opposed efforts by Trump appointees to mitigate market distortions caused by state renewable subsidies and mandates that jeopardized the grid. On present trend, this week’s Texas fiasco is coming soon to a cold winter or hot summer near you.

I guess I didn't know, but how in the H does gas & coal not perform.  It's minus 30 degrees in ND right now & everyone has heat.

So is this a major bonehead F up by Texas?

Just asking.
From a Forth Worth editorial:

This isn’t the first time that weatherization has been an issue with equipment failure and rotating outages in Texas.

In August 2011, six months after an ice storm crippled much of the state and resulted in rotating outages, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and the North American Electric Reliability Corporation issued a report with recommendations.

"Generators and natural gas producers suffered severe losses of capacity despite having received accurate forecasts of the storm," the report states. "Entities in both categories report having winterization procedures in place. However, the poor performance of many of these generating units and wells suggests that these procedures were either inadequate or were not adequately followed."

That investigation revealed what happened in 2011, also happened in 1989, which is the first time ERCOT ever implemented rotating outages.

"The experiences of 1989 are instructive, particularly on the electric side. In that year, as in 2011, cold weather caused many generators to trip, derate, or fail to start. The [Public Utility Commission of Texas] investigated the occurrence and issued a number of recommendations aimed at improving winterization on the part of the generators.

These recommendations were not mandatory, and over the course of time implementation lapsed. Many of the generators that experienced outages in 1989 failed again in 2011," the investigation discovered.

Fast forward a decade and here we are again.

Winterizing equipment – making sure it can sustain extended periods of below-freezing temperatures – has never been a requirement in Texas like other states.

The problem, according to the WSJ, is a Texas-sized reliance on wind power, leaving the grid more vulnerable to bad weather.

Half of wind turbines froze last week, causing wind’s share of electricity to plunge to 8% from 42%. Power prices in the wholesale market spiked, and grid regulators on Friday warned of rolling blackouts. Natural gas and coal generators ramped up to cover the supply gap but couldn’t meet the surging demand for electricity—which half of households rely on for heating—even as many families powered up their gas furnaces. Then some gas wells and pipelines froze.

In short, there wasn’t sufficient baseload power from coal and nuclear to support the grid. Baseload power is needed to stabilize grid frequency amid changes in demand and supply. When there’s not enough baseload power, the grid gets unbalanced and power sources can fail. The more the grid relies on intermittent renewables like wind and solar, the more baseload power is needed to back them up.

Coal in recent years, has been declining on the Texas grid, and renewable sources such as wind and solar have been increasing, according to the WSJ.

Renewables and natural gas are expected to substitute, but Texas is showing their limitations. In the Lone Star State, bad weather has constrained the supply of gas, but government policies do the same in other states. New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and New Jersey’s Phil Murphy have blocked pipelines to deliver shale gas from Pennsylvania to the Northeast.

Their pipeline blockade has driven up the cost of electricity. The average retail price of power is about 50% higher in New Jersey and New York than in Pennsylvania. They and other governors have also poured subsidies into wind and solar, though neither can provide reliable power in frosty weather.

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission is supposed to ensure grid reliability, but under Barack Obama it promoted renewables over reliability. Democrats opposed efforts by Trump appointees to mitigate market distortions caused by state renewable subsidies and mandates that jeopardized the grid. On present trend, this week’s Texas fiasco is coming soon to a cold winter or hot summer near you.
yeah pretty much none of that is correct.  wind was expected to supply about 6GW during this.  It’s been averaging around 4GW. Coal and Gas were expected to provide around 50GW, and they’ve been running round 20-30GW. That, along with this ridiculous deregulated TX market and trying to use Gas for heat and electricity have been the problem.

From a Forth Worth editorial:

This isn’t the first time that weatherization has been an issue with equipment failure and rotating outages in Texas.

In August 2011, six months after an ice storm crippled much of the state and resulted in rotating outages, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and the North American Electric Reliability Corporation issued a report with recommendations.

"Generators and natural gas producers suffered severe losses of capacity despite having received accurate forecasts of the storm," the report states. "Entities in both categories report having winterization procedures in place. However, the poor performance of many of these generating units and wells suggests that these procedures were either inadequate or were not adequately followed."

That investigation revealed what happened in 2011, also happened in 1989, which is the first time ERCOT ever implemented rotating outages.

"The experiences of 1989 are instructive, particularly on the electric side. In that year, as in 2011, cold weather caused many generators to trip, derate, or fail to start. The [Public Utility Commission of Texas] investigated the occurrence and issued a number of recommendations aimed at improving winterization on the part of the generators.

These recommendations were not mandatory, and over the course of time implementation lapsed. Many of the generators that experienced outages in 1989 failed again in 2011," the investigation discovered.

Fast forward a decade and here we are again.

Winterizing equipment – making sure it can sustain extended periods of below-freezing temperatures – has never been a requirement in Texas like other states.
After a little more reading I'm taking back my saying not a major ####up on Texas part. They went cheap and got caught. 

Wind is like 15% of Texas energy I read. 

There are counters to cold temps that wind can have that they didn’t choose to have. Understandable I suppose. Other energy formats there also failed due to a similar lack of preparation for this.

It’s disingenuous, gross, and seems highly political to place blame on wind in this situation by the Texas Gov. 

knowledge dropper said:
So maybe we don’t put all our eggs into weather dependent energy sources?
I think you mean "impacted" where you use "dependent".....good luck with that by the way.  Coal is impacted by the weather, nuclear is impacted by the weather.  Solar/wind are impacted by the weather.

Wind is like 15% of Texas energy I read. 

There are counters to cold temps that wind can have that they didn’t choose to have. Understandable I suppose. Other energy formats there also failed due to a similar lack of preparation for this.

It’s disingenuous, gross, and seems highly political to place blame on wind in this situation by the Texas Gov. 
I believe a peak wind can be about 25% of Texas power, but not in winter.  that was expected.  everything else failing due to the cold was not.

Users who are viewing this thread