What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Biden climate change order to tell federal agencies to eliminate fossil fuel subsidies (1 Viewer)

Nuclear power scares the F out of me. 

From what I have gathered, aren't all or most of our carbon plants in the US 100% emissions free? If they're clean energy, why do we need to move away from them at our own detriment?

I never dug down to the raw materials level honestly.  I just saw (at least I thought I did) the claim that the panels come from China....that was 100% not true...they weren't even top 5 at the time.  Maybe that changed last year, not sure.
Here is some good info from NREL on the topic for anyone interested...

Also, there could be some confusion caused by referencing country where physical production facilities are located vs. geographic home of company that owns those facilities.

https://www.nrel.gov/analysis/solar-supply-chain.html
So it seems to have changed very little from 2019...good to know... :thanks:  

Nobody knows the exact "answer" what electricity production will look like in 30 years, so have no idea why you're attempting to pin me down on this. That said, I'll play along.

There are multiple feasible "pathways" to achieving zero-carbon status in 2050 that have been proposed by many reputable sources. One from Stanford outlines the following technologies for a 139-country transition. 

If you do your own homework, I'm sure you'll find most are consistent with this. 

-  The electricity generation technologies include onshore and offshore wind turbines, concentrated solar power, geothermal heat and electricity, rooftop and utility-scale solar PVs, tidal and wave power, and hydropower. 

-   Technologies for ground transportation include battery electric vehicles (BEVs) and BEV-hydrogen fuel cell (HFC) hybrids, where the hydrogen is electrolytic (produced by electrolysis or passing electricity through water).

-   Air heating and cooling are powered by ground-, air-, or water-source electric heat pumps. Water heat is generated by heat pumps with an electric resistance element for low temperatures and/or solar hot water preheating. Cook stoves are electric induction.

-   Electric arc furnaces, induction furnaces, and dielectric heaters are used to power high-temperature industrial processes directly

https://web.stanford.edu/group/efmh/jacobson/Articles/I/CountriesWWS.pdf
wasn't trying to pin anything - I thought you'd said you knew energy grids etc you might have insight I / we all don't, that's all

The things you listed I've yet to read as real viable options  - maybe they'll get there but no way in 15 years IMO

Meanwhile China continues to create double the greenhouse gasses as the U.S.
Wonder how much more greenhouse gasses we created more then China 35 years ago? It's part of the industrial revolution thing. Maybe if we had take things more seriously we could have been leading a new type of industrial revolution today.

Meanwhile China continues to create double the greenhouse gasses as the U.S.
Not bad considering they have 4-5 times the people.

Post is to illustrate a point that if one insists on looking at a single metric instead of the overall picture, it almost never turns out well once perspective is introduced.  Both the US and China can do significantly better than they are.

ETA:  Sorry...I see it's already covered :bag:  

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you make the energy sector a pollution free sector by 2035?  The only path is a massive de-regulation which includes opening up a path for rapid approval for building nuclear plants.   A bunch of solar and wind farms ain't doing it.   But nuclear is a no-go for most Democrats.  
For the record here - Nuclear generation facts

The most common misconception is that it's a technology problem. It's not. The biggest problem is that the health and environmental costs of carbon is not incorporated into the price of fossil fuels. Therefore clean energy technologies do not get proper market-based price signals that would accelerate investment and mainstream adoption.
Well, adequate storage and transmission is still a technology problem.  I'm not saying cost effective generation is not a problem, but its not the current problem.

Does Biden and the Dems realize halting drilling does decrease the consumption of oil, it just means we spend more for oil and send thaf money to Arabs instead of Americans.  By what asinine logic does this make sense? 
There is a lot of logic.  I'm guessing that you wont find it meaningful though.

US utilities do not agree with you.
Because the government chose the winners.The government gave 100 billion to solar and wind. If instead they would have given 100 billion to nuclear that would have been the clean way forward and we would have less dependence on fossil fuels than what we currently have.

We are passing trillion dollar spending packages left and right, give 100 billion to nuclear. I am sure the private sector could come up with 100 billion in investments to match and we could build many cookie cutter nuclear plants. The cost will go down as we build more and more.

Economy of scale.

Well, adequate storage and transmission is still a technology problem.  I'm not saying cost effective generation is not a problem, but its not the current problem.
But the basic technologies for storage (Li, pumped hydro, solid state, flow batteries, CSP molten salt, etc.) are fully proven, no? The issue is getting them down the cost curve, which requires more production.

Not bad considering they have 4-5 times the people.

Post is to illustrate a point that if one insists on looking at a single metric instead of the overall picture, it almost never turns out well once perspective is introduced.  Both the US and China can do significantly better than they are.

ETA:  Sorry...I see it's already covered :bag:  
By covered you mean brushed under the rug.  By far the number one place where there is the most potential to have a cost-effective curb of CO2 emmissions is in China.  But no, Obama gave them a free ticket to grow their emmissions without any limits until 2035.  The dems want to throw money at the least cost benefitial solutions 

Because the government chose the winners.The government gave 100 billion to solar and wind. If instead they would have given 100 billion to nuclear that would have been the clean way forward and we would have less dependence on fossil fuels than what we currently have.

We are passing trillion dollar spending packages left and right, give 100 billion to nuclear. I am sure the private sector could come up with 100 billion in investments to match and we could build many cookie cutter nuclear plants. The cost will go down as we build more and more.

Economy of scale.
I respectfully disagree.  Nuclear is incredibly expensive.  All the companies in building, maintaining, and decommissions, plants lose money.  Also, we are not talking losses in the range of millions either.

But the basic technologies for storage (Li, pumped hydro, solid state, flow batteries, CSP molten salt, etc.) are fully proven, no? The issue is getting them down the cost curve, which requires more production.
Agree.

There is a lot of logic.  I'm guessing that you wont find it meaningful though.
Jimmy Carter taught us what happens when we become too dependant on foreign oil.  Let's relive that disaster. 
No one is dependent on anything.  Foreign oil is cheap and strategic.  What's the problem with that?

I would argue foreign oil is dependent on consumers.  Remember COVID?  Remember when oil conglomerates were paying to have oil barrels moved?

No one is dependent on anything.  Foreign oil is cheap and strategic.  What's the problem with that?

I would argue foreign oil is dependent on consumers.  Remember COVID?  Remember when oil conglomerates were paying to have oil barrels moved?
Energy is not descretionary spending.  Demand is not very elastic and our consumers depend on it for basic needs like heating and transportation. Once we turn off our spicket, it is expensive and time consuming to turn it back on.  Once we become dependant, the cheap oil will no longer be cheap.  

I think that nuclear energy is the way to go forward.
US utilities do not agree with you.
I would say US investors are too gun shy about investments that will return nothing for fifteen to twenty years and then need to hope that when the plant generates some power that its at a competitive price point.  Also nuclear is already highly subsidized and for thirty years regulations have been relaxed repeatedly yet there are few takers.   A decade or so ago we were supposedly in the nuclear renaissance   but it all fizzled out as investors looked for "less capital intensive and more flexible technologies".  Now if tax payers just spent $10 billion or so per plant things might be different.    

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
By covered you mean brushed under the rug.  By far the number one place where there is the most potential to have a cost-effective curb of CO2 emmissions is in China.  But no, Obama gave them a free ticket to grow their emmissions without any limits until 2035.  The dems want to throw money at the least cost benefitial solutions 
No...by "covered" I mean "addressed".

Take your little fishing trips to someone else's doorstep.....TIA

Nuclear is too expensive to create, maintain, and decommission.  Im not sure anyone is actively building new plants.
IIRC, those are fission-based plants, but scientists are working on nuclear fusion, supposedly much cleaner and stronger with less nuclear waste. It’s a ways off, but solar and wind are making gains for now, their issue is storing what they produce.

Economy of scale.
France has been the most successful country in the world in reducing per capita CO2 emmissions.  France went from 10t per capita in 1973 to about 5t today, which is by far the best in Europe.  And shockingly they did it while becoming the world's largest exporter of electricity.  How is that possible?  By large investments in nuclear where 70 percent of all their electricity is now generated.

Meanwhile the rest of the world is failing miserably with their focus on wind and solar.  So do we emulate a very successful proven strategy or keep dumping money in a strategy which has produced disappointing results?  Our nuclear plants are aging and need replaced and nothing is in the pipeline.  

I noticed you failed to address any points i raised.  Seriously one of the crapoiest posterd in herr.  
To be fair, I only read the one in response to me so if you made "points" I missed them.  None of what you said in response to me had anything to do with my post...oh, and stay classy with the personal insults.  They are definitely the cheery on top of the fishing trips  :thumbup:  

To be fair, I only read the one in response to me so if you made "points" I missed them.  None of what you said in response to me had anything to do with my post...oh, and stay classy with the personal insults.  They are definitely the cheery on top of the fishing trips  :thumbup:  
Funny, it was you who made it personal who belittle my point and accused me of turning it into a fishing trip.  Instead you ignored it and did exactly what you accused others of by focusing on your one metric and ignoring the bigger picture.  The bigger picture is that China/India is where most of the world's economic growth is concentrated which provides the greatest and most cost-effective  opportunity to incorporate green energy solutiins.  Ripping out functioning energy solutions and replacing them with greener solutions is the least efficient.  If you believe that is not a legitimate point and some kind of fishing trip, i would suggest your partisan goggles are a bit thick.  

Based on the stock markets our country was already going this green/climate friendly direction.  Doesn't matter what laws or EOs are signed now.  The big money has already spoke.  

Suppose climate change didn’t exist, wasn’t a real issue: wouldn’t it still be a good thing to eliminate fossil fuel subsidies? I’ve never understood exactly why we have these in the first place. 

jon_mx said:
Energy is not descretionary spending.  Demand is not very elastic and our consumers depend on it for basic needs like heating and transportation. Once we turn off our spicket, it is expensive and time consuming to turn it back on.  Once we become dependant, the cheap oil will no longer be cheap.  
Agree to disagree.  I would contend you are not looking at the true operational management of oil and instead are listening to MSM.

timschochet said:
Suppose climate change didn’t exist, wasn’t a real issue: wouldn’t it still be a good thing to eliminate fossil fuel subsidies? I’ve never understood exactly why we have these in the first place. 
Because it is in our nation's best interest to not be dependant upon foreign supplies of oil.  OPEC had a gun to our head in the 1970's and we paid a large price.  We do not want to return to that.  

It seems the approach the Dems are taking is try to force Americans to switch to green energy  by making it as painful as possible by putting people out of work, sending money overseas, and driving up energy costs.   It is a terrible approach.  

Because it is in our nation's best interest to not be dependant upon foreign supplies of oil.  OPEC had a gun to our head in the 1970's and we paid a large price.  We do not want to return to that.  

It seems the approach the Dems are taking is try to force Americans to switch to green energy  by making it as painful as possible by putting people out of work, sending money overseas, and driving up energy costs.   It is a terrible approach.  
Do you also oppose moving electric power to 100% carbon-free? Which has absolutely nothing to do with oil...and where solar/wind is already cheaper cost than coal...and where jobs are better and higher paying?

...clean energy jobs pay on the whole 25% better than the national median wage (including the majority of fossil fuel jobs), have higher unionization rates than the rest of the private sector, and are more likely to come with retirement and health-care benefits.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/where-are-bidens-clean-energy-jobs-and-how-much-do-they-pay-11611787835

Do you also oppose moving electric power to 100% carbon-free? Which has absolutely nothing to do with oil...and where solar/wind is already cheaper cost than coal...and where jobs are better and higher paying?

...clean energy jobs pay on the whole 25% better than the national median wage (including the majority of fossil fuel jobs), have higher unionization rates than the rest of the private sector, and are more likely to come with retirement and health-care benefits.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/where-are-bidens-clean-energy-jobs-and-how-much-do-they-pay-11611787835
I am all for green energy.  But Biden plan is obviously to drive the cost of energy way up, put Americans in pain and force the issue.  Not what he ran on.  

jon_mx said:
Funny, it was you who made it personal who belittle my point and accused me of turning it into a fishing trip.
I don't know what else one would call a reply that had nothing to do with the post they were replying to by a poster who wasn't even being talked too :shrug:  Seems to be text book to me.

jon_mx said:
Instead you ignored it and did exactly what you accused others of by focusing on your one metric and ignoring the bigger picture.
I don't even know what you're talking about here.  What metric am I focused on and what argument am I making with it?  In my view this is just more evidence, in my view that you don't read what others say.  

jon_mx said:
The bigger picture is that China/India is where most of the world's economic growth is concentrated which provides the greatest and most cost-effective  opportunity to incorporate green energy solutiins.  Ripping out functioning energy solutions and replacing them with greener solutions is the least efficient.  If you believe that is not a legitimate point and some kind of fishing trip, i would suggest your partisan goggles are a bit thick.  
The bigger picture goes back WELL before the time in the last 20ish years where China has began to become an economic superpower when we're talking about human/societal impact on the environment.  For someone who pisses and moan about people and hyperbole all the time you do yourself an injustice by equating rollback of subsidies with "ripping out functioning energy".

Of this entire nonsensical conversation, I'd really love your focus on the bold though.  What exactly are you talking about?

timschochet said:
I believe the proper term is “pocket lining”

timschochet said:
100% this. Why people wouldn't want an achievable goal of a cleaner environment baffles me. Two r three generations ago you couldn't walk around without dodging horse dung.

The good thing is that recycling efforts are well underway for solar panels. In fact, the U.S. should follow the E.U (see below).....where it is the law that solar producers are responsible not only for disposal and recycling, but paying for it upfront. 

Absolute worst case is that when the U.S. coal industry inevitably goes out of business...we can use the 1,500 square miles of Powder River Basin coal mining area for solar panel landfill.  You know, since they've done us the favor of digging it up already.

http://www.solarwaste.eu/pv-waste-legislation/producers/

https://tc.copernicus.org/articles/15/233/2021/

Abstract

We combine satellite observations and numerical models to show that Earth lost 28 trillion tonnes of ice between 1994 and 2017. Arctic sea ice (7.6 trillion tonnes), Antarctic ice shelves (6.5 trillion tonnes), mountain glaciers (6.1 trillion tonnes), the Greenland ice sheet (3.8 trillion tonnes), the Antarctic ice sheet (2.5 trillion tonnes), and Southern Ocean sea ice (0.9 trillion tonnes) have all decreased in mass. Just over half (58 %) of the ice loss was from the Northern Hemisphere, and the remainder (42 %) was from the Southern Hemisphere. The rate of ice loss has risen by 57 % since the 1990s – from 0.8 to 1.2 trillion tonnes per year – owing to increased losses from mountain glaciers, Antarctica, Greenland and from Antarctic ice shelves. During the same period, the loss of grounded ice from the Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets and mountain glaciers raised the global sea level by 34.6 ± 3.1 mm. The majority of all ice losses were driven by atmospheric melting (68 % from Arctic sea ice, mountain glaciers ice shelf calving and ice sheet surface mass balance), with the remaining losses (32 % from ice sheet discharge and ice shelf thinning) being driven by oceanic melting. Altogether, these elements of the cryosphere have taken up 3.2 % of the global energy imbalance.

The good thing is that recycling efforts are well underway for solar panels. In fact, the U.S. should follow the E.U (see below).....where it is the law that solar producers are responsible not only for disposal and recycling, but paying for it upfront. 

Absolute worst case is that when the U.S. coal industry inevitably goes out of business...we can use the 1,500 square miles of Powder River Basin coal mining area for solar panel landfill.  You know, since they've done us the favor of digging it up already.

http://www.solarwaste.eu/pv-waste-legislation/producers/
Hey now, I grew up in Wyoming.

I have fished and hunted on reclaimed mine land in Wyoming and the environment is better after the mining than before. They create wetlands and ponds where there were none. Many of the coal miners hunt and fish and these companies let the families of workers hunt and fish the land after the mining is done. They do an excellent job making sure that the land supports wildlife. I have personally both hunted and fished on at least 5 coal mines in the powder river basin area.

You can bash coal, but the workers care about the environment since they are the ones that use it.

:edit:

I will add the caveat that my college internship had me design and oversee mine reclamation projects for a bentonite mine in Wyoming. This was in the Bighorn basin and not the powder river basin though.

Hey now, I grew up in Wyoming.

I have fished and hunted on reclaimed mine land in Wyoming and the environment is better after the mining than before. They create wetlands and ponds where there were none. Many of the coal miners hunt and fish and these mines let the families of workers hunt and fish the land after the mining is done. They do an excellent job making sure that the land supports wildlife.
Sorry, man!  Was trying to be good-natured tongue-in-cheek. The grasslands up Powder River way are a true national treasure...and agree coal generally doing a good job with reclamation. 

Main point is no new technology is going to be impact-free. We can only look at the relative cost/benefit. Too many renewables opponents (most funded by fossil fuel) spread misinformation that these new technologies are blanket "bad" (birds in the windmills, anyone?) just because the industry is young and hasn't yet fully worked out the solutions...when invariably those environmental impacts pale in comparison to the status quo.

It's a common tactic in all mature industries. They know they ultimately can't compete with the challengers so try to kill them while still in the nest.

Sorry, man!  Was trying to be good-natured tongue-in-cheek. The grasslands up Powder River way are a true national treasure...and agree coal generally doing a good job with reclamation. 

Main point is no new technology is going to be impact-free. We can only look at the relative cost/benefit. Too many renewables opponents (most funded by fossil fuel) spread misinformation that these new technologies are blanket "bad" (birds in the windmills, anyone?) just because the industry is young and hasn't yet fully worked out the solutions...when invariably those environmental impacts pale in comparison to the status quo.

It's a common tactic in all mature industries. They know they ultimately can't compete with the challengers so try to kill them while still in the nest.

I would not go that far. I love Wyoming, but Powder River area is about as boring as you can get and is easily the worst part of Wyoming. I just wanted to defend mine reclamation. It gets a bad rap by people who have not spent much time on mines.

I understand there are pictures of old reclamation projects, ie berkely pit. Prior to the late 60's we did not do a good job, but the modern mines do a great job. This is good because even after we stop coal mining there are still many other mines that will exist.

The 1970s energy crisis occurred when the Western world, particularly the United States, Canada, Western Europe, Australia, and New Zealand, faced substantial petroleum shortages, real and perceived, as well as elevated prices. The two worst crises of this period were the 1973 oil crisis and the 1979 energy crisis, when the Yom Kippur War and the Iranian Revolution triggered interruptions in Middle Eastern oil exports.

The crisis began to unfold as petroleum production in the United States and some other parts of the world peaked in the late 1960s and early 1970s.  World oil production per capita began a long-term decline after 1979.

The major industrial centers of the world were forced to contend with escalating issues related to petroleum supply. Western countries relied on the resources of countries in the Middle East and other parts of the world.

The crisis led to stagnant economic growth in many countries as oil prices surged.  Although there were genuine concerns with supply, part of the run-up in prices resulted from the perception of a crisis. The combination of stagnant growth and price inflation during this era led to the coinage of the term stagflation.

Users who are viewing this thread