What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best lawnmower to buy (1 Viewer)

I mainly got it bc I hate winterizing and all the upkeep on the gas powered stuff. Plus they are light enough that my wife or kids can do the year if needed. 
There is like 10 minutes of maintenance per year on my self propelled push mower, and it uses maybe 2 gallons of gas per year on a 1/2 acre.   Wife and kid have no problem with it.  Self propelled and all.

What exactly is there to "winterize" anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:
ghostguy123 said:
There is like 10 minutes of maintenance per year on my self propelled push mower, and it uses maybe 2 gallons of gas per year on a 1/2 acre.   Wife and kid have no problem with it.  Self propelled and all.

Drain the gas, replace filters, oil, keeping gas jugs around.  Yea not the most daunting of chores, but it’s a lot of stuff i eliminated. Plus bc there is no liquid in the machine, I can fold it down and store it upright, like a suitcase, and it saves a ton of room in my shed.

When we had the gas trimmer, my wife would call me and be like “how do I start this thing??...do I hold the trigger and then crank? Or crack without? Do I need to prime it?”   With the electric, snap the battery in, and hit the trigger and it turns spins.  Release the trigger and it stops.  Simple.  Plus they are so quiet, I can cut the lawn at 7am and not wake up anyone in the house.   

ghostguy123 said:

Winterize:  Place in garage.   That about covers it for me

Basic process for me and my zero-turn Deere - nothing fancy.

• Use Stabil Marine in every tank (helps with Ethanol build-up AND gas doesn't have issues sitting over the winter)
When I'm done for the season:

• Use a leaf blower to blow off any grass clumps
  • Top off the tank so there's less airspace for condensation
  • Take the battery out and bring it inside (I leave it on a trickle charger)
That's it.  Above and beyond "normal" activities, maybe 10 minutes to take the battery out.  It starts up on the first turn every spring.

Has anybody purchased a robot mower?  Looking for one that is good for hill sides.
Not yet, but I'm fairly certain that will be my next mower purchase. I think Worx has a new version of the Landroid coming out soon. I'll probably wait a year or so for a couple updates/advances, but when I spend $1000 on a mower, it won't be for an entry level riding mower from a big box store. It'll be for a robot that I can drink beer and watch (and watch the dogs lose their damn minds). 

I’ll be the tree hugger here and vouch for the Ego battery operated one.   I bought their edger about a year ago and it kicks ### so I grabbed the mower last year on a display sale.  Used it for the first time last week and it cut really well.  It’s super quiet so I don’t need to have my headphones blasting.  

I mainly got it bc I hate winterizing and all the upkeep on the gas powered stuff. Plus they are light enough that my wife or kids can do the year if needed. 
Only 60 minute run time is a show stopper for me.

Are Honda engines still bulletproof on mowers? Had Honda in past and loved it then, my Briggs and Stratton current mower makes me want to murder someone. 

Going on year 15 (it was a hand me down from my dad, forget how long he had it, at least 3 that I know of. so 18 years at least) with my Honda mower and still running strong.  Never changed the oil in it.  Still the best piece of machinery I have ever owned, and it ain't close. At this point, it's a game I play, not doing any maintenance on it, just to see how long it goes.  It just cranks up year after year. If it lasts this year, I do actually plan on changing the oil and other maintenance things to it, to kinda reward it. Might give it a hug too.

Edit to add: it's a self propelled mower, and not one thing has ever broke on it.  Nothing.  *knocks on wood*

Not yet, but I'm fairly certain that will be my next mower purchase. I think Worx has a new version of the Landroid coming out soon. I'll probably wait a year or so for a couple updates/advances, but when I spend $1000 on a mower, it won't be for an entry level riding mower from a big box store. It'll be for a robot that I can drink beer and watch (and watch the dogs lose their damn minds). 
I like the idea, but I have a fenced backyard and an open front yard, so would I need TWO of them?

This thread has me thinking about my mower, which I left outside all winter 

Came home from work, wheeled it around into the front yard and it fired right up 

Was hoping the old craftsman(10 years old)wouldn’t make it through the winter, really wanted to go out and buy a John Deere(maybe I’ll run over a water main or something). 

While electric stuff is fine, this particular item stands out to me as something that won't have a sustainable market.  
Why for this particular item?

I have a relatively large flat yard and would like to get something like this.  I hate gas engines and 2.5 hour run time would be long enough to get the whole thing done.

I'm on season three of a battery operated push mower.  We moved since I got this, much bigger yard now. My lazy ### may be going riding mower soon. 

I like the idea, but I have a fenced backyard and an open front yard, so would I need TWO of them?
Same here, and I'd think so. Though, I'd considered letting the robot deal with the backyard, while I continue to mow the front yard. Also, and I'm not proud to say this, I don't think I'd want my neighbors to see a little robot mowing my lawn. I'm still hanging on to one last shred of pride. 

But either way, if the thing works as intended, $2000 (plus ongoing life cycle replacement costs) to never hot have to mow anymore would be a fantastic investment.

Winterizing my mower consist of mowing every 2-3 weeks instead of every week. I look forward to that time of year.

I should have timed exactly how long it took me to mow last night.  My lawn is flat, but I think it still takes an hour when bagging.  I would love to go battery powered when my current mower dies, but not sure they run an hour on a single charge.  I like the idea of less maintenance and noise.  

I’ll be the tree hugger here and vouch for the Ego battery operated one.   I bought their edger about a year ago and it kicks ### so I grabbed the mower last year on a display sale.  Used it for the first time last week and it cut really well.  It’s super quiet so I don’t need to have my headphones blasting.  

Update?

mower died this weekend, looking to buy

the EGO looks awesome, but I could get a kick ### 4 in 1 for $100 less 

I’m tempted to buy a rider, but seems a little excessive for my yard( little less than 1/2 acre) 

Update?

I’m tempted to buy a rider, but seems a little excessive for my yard( little less than 1/2 acre) 
I too am curious on any updates

Update?

and @belljr

Still running great. Used it this weekend. Its a mower so, not a lot to write about other the like I said before, its quiet, easy to start (push button), folds up nice so it didnt take up much room in the shed. 

My only complaint is that it the suction isnt very strong, so it dosn't pick up dropped leaves like my old mowers. I could go over a small pile and there would be nothing left. 

What kinds of features does the kick ### 4 in 1 have? 

and @belljr

Still running great. Used it this weekend. Its a mower so, not a lot to write about other the like I said before, its quiet, easy to start (push button), folds up nice so it didnt take up much room in the shed. 

My only complaint is that it the suction isnt very strong, so it dosn't pick up dropped leaves like my old mowers. I could go over a small pile and there would be nothing left. 

What kinds of features does the kick ### 4 in 1 have? 
Bagging, side discharge, mulching, and leaf shredding 

I get a ton of leaves in the fall and use my mower to pick them up. Raking sucks 

I’d love to go green, but I need something that sucks .....looks like I’m buying a Honda 

My Honda self propelled is still ticking like 20-25 years later. First pull. Tried to kill it a few times but It just works. 

I pay $40/week and while I do miss mowing mine it’s nice to come home and it’s already done. The flip side is my lawn really should be mowed 2 times a week and I miss using mine to take care of the leaves in the fall. 

Considering getting a new one next spring. 

I really like Toro ride ons.

Honda doesn’t make mowers, only the engines. 

I pay $40/week and while I do miss mowing mine it’s nice to come home and it’s already done. The flip side is my lawn really should be mowed 2 times a week and I miss using mine to take care of the leaves in the fall. 

Considering getting a new one next spring. 

I really like Toro ride ons.

Honda doesn’t make mowers, only the engines.

What do you mean?

https://powerequipment.honda.com/lawn-mowers

My Honda self propelled is still ticking like 20-25 years later. First pull. Tried to kill it a few times but It just works. 
same here - really mistreated it (I stopped mowing my yard about 21 years ago), let it sit for about 10 years and then my son started using it ...I don't recall emptying the oil chamber that entire time.  It started and he is still using it - and beats the hell out of it.  

Last Fall, he said it was crapping out in high grass and he had broken the ball/stick that engages the wheels and controls the speed.  Had him take it into the Honda dealership - $230 later had it top top shape again - including sharpened blades.  

I love my Honda mower, I think mine is 11 or 12 years old now.  So far I've had to replace the transmission in it (I think I paid like $80 at my local Honda shop installed) and I had the same shop replace the original carburetor this winter for $25 and I replaced one of the cables for $30.  Honestly, the most expensive thing on it are wheels which I really don't get.  I replace the wheels every 2-3 years.  Other than that I change the oil every year at the end of the year, replace the air filter every other year, adjust the self propelled cable and I run the gas out right before winter and drain the carburetor, all in maybe $30-$40 and 20 minutes of my time, maybe I take a couple of minutes to clean it with a rag and whatever cleaner I have laying around (purple power or whatever).  Oh, I have two sets of blades for it, I change them out ever other year, it generally doesn't need it but it's another 10 minute job.

Bagging, side discharge, mulching, and leaf shredding 

I get a ton of leaves in the fall and use my mower to pick them up. Raking sucks 

I’d love to go green, but I need something that sucks .....looks like I’m buying a Honda 
yea, if you are looking for leaf pick up, the Ego is not your mower. Its the one thing I do miss a bout my old mower. 

Yeah my Honda is about 20 years old. It's starting to show its age. But I use it for everything, leaves also.  I stopped getting it serviced every year because around here it's like $75.   So it has the same oil for about 3 years now.    I'll sharpen the blades myself. I just have no where to take the oil, that I know of.  I usually service it once every few years now

I never replaced the battery for the electric start either :)

Yeah my Honda is about 20 years old. It's starting to show its age. But I use it for everything, leaves also.  I stopped getting it serviced every year because around here it's like $75.   So it has the same oil for about 3 years now.    I'll sharpen the blades myself. I just have no where to take the oil, that I know of.  I usually service it once every few years now

I never replaced the battery for the electric start either :)
You can take your oil to most auto parts stores. 

I love my Honda mower, I think mine is 11 or 12 years old now.  So far I've had to replace the transmission in it (I think I paid like $80 at my local Honda shop installed) and I had the same shop replace the original carburetor this winter for $25 and I replaced one of the cables for $30.  Honestly, the most expensive thing on it are wheels which I really don't get.  I replace the wheels every 2-3 years.  Other than that I change the oil every year at the end of the year, replace the air filter every other year, adjust the self propelled cable and I run the gas out right before winter and drain the carburetor, all in maybe $30-$40 and 20 minutes of my time, maybe I take a couple of minutes to clean it with a rag and whatever cleaner I have laying around (purple power or whatever).  Oh, I have two sets of blades for it, I change them out ever other year, it generally doesn't need it but it's another 10 minute job.
Wait you are supposed to do maintainance on these things? I had the plug changed and blade sharpened once about a decade ago. :lol:  

I'm cutting my own lawn again after hiring it out for a number of years.  I bought the Kobalt 80 volt lawnmower along with the snow blower.  Each came with its own 6.0 Ah battery.  So far, the lawnmower does a pretty good job.  One battery only lasts about 1.5 hours, which is fine, but I'm glad I have the two.  It will be interesting to see how the mower and the batteries hold up in five years.

I only used the snowblower once, and it did fine.  Three inches of wet snow that I was glad I didn't have to shovel by hand.  

Thought my Honda died.  Started smoking real bad.  Cleaned the filter, put a touch of oil in it and back to running!!!

I think it's approaching 20 years

Might be time for a riding mower for me.  No clue what to get.  Dont wanna spend more than 2 grand with a bagger and at least 42 inch deck.  

Suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread