What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should I buy a $1000 BBQ Grill? (1 Viewer)

For those touting Weber, what is your normal cleaning routine? I have a very basic Weber grill and it is on it's last leg. You already have me convinced that, next large item pickup the city has, it will go out and the Weber II is in. But end of the day, I just never really knew how to clean the darn thing, what I should be doing between grills or every once in a great while. Would like to hear y'alls "routines" if you have one.

DallasDMac said:
For those touting Weber, what is your normal cleaning routine? I have a very basic Weber grill and it is on it's last leg. You already have me convinced that, next large item pickup the city has, it will go out and the Weber II is in. But end of the day, I just never really knew how to clean the darn thing, what I should be doing between grills or every once in a great while. Would like to hear y'alls "routines" if you have one.
Not a ton here...I clean off the side shelves every now and then.  On the grates...sometimes while it is still hot I will brush them off while the food rests.  Sometimes I just shut it down and don't do that til I heat it up again for the next cook.  Really hit or miss.

A few times a year I pull the grates and flavorizer bars out...and get all the bits and pieces and clean the dripped grease a bit off into the pull out bin in the bottom and clean it out.  Thats about it.  After about 8 years now...my only issues have been I have replaced the flavorizer bars at least once as they do corrode...and just replaced the grill grates for the first time this spring.  I use the coated cast iron ones.  Now the grey plastic stuff is starting to chip off my knobs but not too bad.  And I don't typically cover it...I did at first and went through a few covers and just sort of quit doing that.  It sits outside in the TN heat and humidity and is still humming along.  Im much more careful right now with my new Kamado Joe.  Hoping by fall we get the new patio built and have it covered.

DallasDMac said:
Not a whole lot honestly. 

I try to keep the grate somewhat clean after grilling, am just using a regular brush I replace probably twice a year. Some times this is hard to keep totally clean just after grilling if what I grilled was too fatty or there was some sauce and I have to leave some of that stuff on the grate. 

Before I grill. I turn it on for about 5 minutes or so all the way up let it heat up and then am easily able to scrap anything off from last time.

I prep the grill with some Vegetable Oil to help with stuff sticking.

I completely clean it about once a year which is taking the grates off, cleaning the pieces underneath, soapy water and a brush do the trick. Takes about 30-45 mins. Have had no issues with the igniters or the flame components so have never touched them.

I haven’t had to replace any part on this. 5 years old, lights up like a champ every time.

My area isn’t covered so I always make sure to cover it after it has cooled down. Have to replace that once a year.

Cook on it probably 100 times a year.

Weber 22” charcoal grill. I have two for the few times a year when I have a ton of people over. But I can easily feed our family of 5 on the basic kettle. I think I spent $89 for it about 15 years ago. It has at least another 10 years left on it. The second one my neighbor gave to me because he bought a new gas grill about 5 years ago. He is now shopping for a new gas grill.

I can have charcoal ready in about 30 minutes. During that time I get to sit out back and drink beer because my wife thinks I am “cooking”.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent 150 on a 3 burner grill 7 years ago and 300 on a blackstone griddle 4 years ago. Use them both a lot, including once a week or so in the winter. The cheap grill is on its last legs but I will get one more year out of it. The griddle is showing no wear. I will likely replace the grill with a similar cheapo next year during the fall clearances.

Thanks Sho Nuff and General. That's pretty much exactly what I've been doing. Guess it is just Father Time that has done my old Weber in.

Not a whole lot honestly. 

I try to keep the grate somewhat clean after grilling, am just using a regular brush I replace probably twice a year. Some times this is hard to keep totally clean just after grilling if what I grilled was too fatty or there was some sauce and I have to leave some of that stuff on the grate. 

Before I grill. I turn it on for about 5 minutes or so all the way up let it heat up and then am easily able to scrap anything off from last time.

I prep the grill with some Vegetable Oil to help with stuff sticking.

I completely clean it about once a year which is taking the grates off, cleaning the pieces underneath, soapy water and a brush do the trick. Takes about 30-45 mins. Have had no issues with the igniters or the flame components so have never touched them.

I haven’t had to replace any part on this. 5 years old, lights up like a champ every time.

My area isn’t covered so I always make sure to cover it after it has cooled down. Have to replace that once a year.

Cook on it probably 100 times a year.
Very similar to this except I turn the grill on high for several minutes after I cook and then scrap the cooking grate. Use it at least 3 times a week. Its a built in unit four years old. We bought the house a year ago. I need to replace the grates because previous owners never cleaned them when they cooked. 

Very similar to this except I turn the grill on high for several minutes after I cook and then scrap the cooking grate. Use it at least 3 times a week. Its a built in unit four years old. We bought the house a year ago. I need to replace the grates because previous owners never cleaned them when they cooked. 
Can prolly grill almost year round down there...jealous.

If you didn't already buy.  One of my best friends from childhood owns a company that sells high end grills.

His name is Jim G.

Weber 22” charcoal grill. I have two for the few times a year when I have a ton of people over. But I can easily feed our family of 5 on the basic kettle. I think I spent $89 for it about 15 years ago. It has at least another 10 years left on it. The second one my neighbor gave to me because he bought a new gas grill about 5 years ago. He is now shopping for a new gas grill.

I can have charcoal ready in about 30 minutes. During that time I get to sit out back and drink beer because my wife thinks I am “cooking”.
Preach on brother. The extra beer while coals get started is such a nice benefit. 

I've somehow ended up with 4 (only one bought new). I should give a couple away, but like rehoming a pet, I'd want to incredible vetting to make sure the Kettle would be cared for and properly appreciated. All the people I know for sure that would, of course, already have a Kettle. 

I'm especially envious of a buddy that has an old 3-vent model that he found, abandoned, on the side of the road 15 years ago. It's a wonderful daily driver, and he has no plans on another grill anytime soon.

I think the Kettle is a lot like a cast iron skillet (I have too many of those too, for similar reasons, I have to vet before I'll rehome). Simple, reliable, and cheap. Most importantly, produces outstanding results. Yet, both are so often overlooked and/or discarded for some fancy thing that with bells and whistles that will be garbage in a few years. 

I guess I have to give a disclaimer that I realize I go overboard with cleaning my grill.  Having said that, I pretty much kind of follow the ‘cleaning for performance’ instructions I read for the grill.  It’s not necessary between meals, but I got in the habit of doing it anyway and have stuck to it.  I have a Weber Spirit S210 and I grill maybe every other weekend when it’s not winter?  After I am done cooking on the grill I don’t do anything except let it cool off, close the lid, then cover it.  I keep it outside exposed to all elements, no umbrella, no overhang, it just sits on my patio.

BEFORE I cook the next time I clean it.  I use a plastic scraper to start.  Sometimes I use a generic paint / spackle 2 ½” plastic scraper.   I have also used a Lodge cast iron skillet scraper.  I scrape the top of the grates, then pull them up and scrape anything hanging from the bottom of the grates.  I pull out the flavorizer bars and sometimes give them a little bit of a scrap if they have something big on them, but for the most part I leave them alone.  I scrape the sides and bottom edge of the grill and just send it all down into bottom of the grill (the grease tray).  Finally, I take the scraper and send all the ‘stuff’ sitting in the bottom of the grill through the little hole so it drops down into the catch pan.  If the catch pan is full, I’ll empty it.  If not, I’ll leave it.

After I scrape out all surfaces I start the grill, close the lid, leave it on high for 10 / 15 minutes and let it burn off any other leftover bits.  After the grill reaches 500 according to the lid thermometer I open it up and scrape the grates with a brush while it is hot.  After that I am ready to grill. 

Sometimes I’ll go through this routine early and just turn the burners off to get the cleaning out of the way.  Sometimes I’ll do it and start cooking on it right away.  I’ve only had my grill for 4 years so I can’t contest that this will make it last a really long time, but I will say that it is still in excellent condition.

This times ten.  I see the couple years old Genesis (version prior to the II) pop up on CL for under $150/200 all the time.  Now that the version II has been out for a couple of years, I have seen those for $350ish.

I would check CL and get a used one in great condition.  Your brand new one will look just like that after a few months use.
This is the only thing I would change about my Weber Genesis, should have gone CL for slightly used instead of new. These things are great and last forever.

Cant echo enough the calls for getting a cover either. I’ve had mine 8 years in terrible weather (Houston for rain and humidity, Denver for sun damage) and it still looks almost new when I take the cover off.

About 13 years in with my Weber Spirit E-310 and going strong. I’m a casual griller. Burgers, brats, hotdogs, etc.

In 2014 I spent $950 for a Weber Genesis II grill. 8 years later the heat shield / liner inside the lid is starting to deteriorate. I sent weber pictures of the inside and submitted a warranty claim. They just sent me out a replacement lid under warranty. I read online in some forums you could just cut that liner off, not REALLY necessary, but they are replacing the lid no questions asked. 

In 8 years I've had to replace the igniters once. Because I forgot to turn the grill off one time and that sucker got up over 800 degrees long enough to melt the igniter wiring. 😄

Totally don't regret buying this grill. Live in northeast Ohio so we get all 4 seasons here. 100% worth it.

About 20 years ago (I think?) I traded my old co-worker a 7 or 8 year old John Deere push mower I had for an old Weber Grill he had.  He's a huge Weber grill guy and he had 2 or 3 of them.  Back then, I tore it apart, repainted the bottom half of it black (it's a special grill paint), I power washed it, replaced what needed to be replaced and it looked and ran like new.  Over the years, I've repainted the bottom, replaced a rusty piece of square tubing on the bottom frame, replaced ignitors here and there, etc.

So, last year, at about this time, I go to fire up my trusty old Weber grill and it needed a BUNCH of work (flavorizer bars were rusted out, gas burners were rusted out causing a big hot spot and giant flame, ignitor was bad and one of the brass valves was bad.)  I thought "okay, it's time to replace it." So, I shopped around, I wanted a 3 burner Weber grill and I knew it was gonna cost about $1,000 for what I wanted, at least that seemed like the going rate, give or take, depending on colors, options, etc.  I put the thought in the back of my mind for reference.  

So, I'm at Home Depot, I'm shopping for something else and my wife says "Hey Honey, look at this, weren't you shopping for a new grill?"  And it's an assembled, brand new, Weber Genesis, 3 burner, with a side burner, sitting in the RETURNED area with a sticker price of $1,169 but marked down to $650 (I think it was) and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it.  I thought "wifey gave me the go ahead, the price is unreal, I would be an absolute MORON to pass up on this deal!"  

I am an absolute MORON, I passed up on it and bought all the parts I needed and I'm pretty sure I spent north of $300 in parts, which I know full well is beyond idiotic but I love my old weber grill so I just had to fix it!  Honest to God, hand to heart, the thought of giving up on my old Weber just seemed stupid and wasteful, I couldn't do it.  So I totally rebuilt my old Weber last year and she's still going strong, hopefully, for another 10 or 15 years! 

I'm currently looking for a new propane grill for the family cabin at the Oregon coast.  It's about 30 yards from the beach, so rust is an issue for everything out there.  I'm thinking one of the Weber, stainless, three burner models, and as we have a large propane tank behind the house for heat I might need an adapter to hook up to that.  A good cover is obvious, although with the current one we typically pull it in to the house when we leave (cabin gets used 12-15 times/year).  Anything else I should be considering given the environment?

I'm currently looking for a new propane grill for the family cabin at the Oregon coast.  It's about 30 yards from the beach, so rust is an issue for everything out there.  I'm thinking one of the Weber, stainless, three burner models, and as we have a large propane tank behind the house for heat I might need an adapter to hook up to that.  A good cover is obvious, although with the current one we typically pull it in to the house when we leave (cabin gets used 12-15 times/year).  Anything else I should be considering given the environment?

anyway to wheel it somewhere inside when you leave? (garage/shack, etc.)

anyway to wheel it somewhere inside when you leave? (garage/shack, etc.)

Yeah we do that today, which obviously helps.  But at the coast even stuff in the house rusts eventually!  So just want to be sure we're considering everything to extend it's useful life as much as possible.

Oh, by the way, I'm 100% a shade tree / backyard / DIY / non-professional type of repair guy, I just work in IT.  I love Youtube for this kind of thing and even for the mildly curious and average to below average DIYer, such as myself, I gotta be honest - I find old Weber gas grills to be like old Jeeps or old Toyota Landcruiser's or something.  They're ingeniously simple, everything comes apart with a few basic tools and a lot of it comes apart without any tools at all and it goes back together logically.  I feel like a bunch of ingenious engineers got together and said "let's build gas grills for cavemen" because it's pretty basic.

I'm almost (ALMOST) to the point of being "that guy" that picks up discarded Weber grills off the side of the road, fixes them up and sells them.  I'm way too lazy for all that but the thought has crossed my mind.

This video describes most of the work I did last year and I so, so badly want to create that Hockey Stick work table. . . God I love that!  And then, this video, shows you how to clean and lubricate your brass, gas grill, valves.  I tried that with mine but it was no use, mine was too far gone and if I'm being 100% honest, it was never quite right from 20 years ago, I just didn't use the 3rd burner, like ever, so I thought "oh what the hell let's just fix that too while I'm in here."  

And that was a bit of a fiasco in that I ordered the wrong valves so pay attention and get the correct parts in the first place.  I assumed that they were all the same but they're not, they make different size gas burner manifolds, different size valves, etc. I found they changed, ever so slightly, year to year.  The old Weber grills all look a lot alike but they're not exactly alike so grab your make and model number and hopefully you still have your factory serial number plate.  Unfortunately, mine rusted off/was replaced before I got it so I had to kind of figure it out on my own, still worth it even with the returns and odd pieces I bought off e-bay laying around.

That's a pretty nice grill to use only 12 times a year, but if you're looking for something to withstand the elements, that'll do it.  

For perspective, we have spent vacation time on Lake Huron a handful of times and there's a cheap gas grill outdoors we can use.  It is beat to hell and the mere act of cleaning the grates makes me feel like the thing is about to crumble.  A covered Weber will do you right for years to come.  They're like grilling with cast iron.  Just sturdy and strong and I'd argue perhaps the greatest product the USA manufactures.  

I have an old Weber spirit that had some rust and needed a new burner tube, igniter, and TLC......or get a new BBQ.  When I started looking around and saw how much it was to replace what I had, I got the parts I needed, and can of Rust-Oleum high temp paint.  I re-habbed that son of a gun and it works better than ever!  Also, you want a cast iron grill grate, imo.  Keep it clean and rub it with avocado oil before and after grilling.  Cast iron is the way.

I also got an A-MAZE-N smoker tube that I use with wood chips.....My spirits has 3 burners so I can run one and do indirect heat .....very happy with the results, and I didn't need to go buy a traeger or one of the other super expensive smokers.

Anyway, prolly way more info than u wanted, but my overall point is Webers are great, and you can find parts easily to re-hab.

I have this one I think...the Genesis I think it is called. Sits on a patio with a nice cover on it that I am diligent about replacing every year but the spot it sits is uncovered. I live in up in Seattle so wet like you will get.

8 years old or so. Just cleaned it for the start of the season, was a complete mess, it started on the 1st button push and got up to 600+ degrees in 5 minutes. 

This  is my go to now.  You will find some negative comments but most of those are related to having Lowe's put them together.  I put mine together in under 3 hours and not one issue yet since last spring/early summer and I am not very good at putting stuff like this together.

I have an old Weber spirit that had some rust and needed a new burner tube, igniter, and TLC......or get a new BBQ.  When I started looking around and saw how much it was to replace what I had, I got the parts I needed, and can of Rust-Oleum high temp paint.  I re-habbed that son of a gun and it works better than ever!  Also, you want a cast iron grill grate, imo.  Keep it clean and rub it with avocado oil before and after grilling.  Cast iron is the way.

I also got an A-MAZE-N smoker tube that I use with word chips.....My spirits has 3 burners so I can run one and do indirect heat .....very happy with the results, and I didn't need to go buy a traeger or one of the other super expensive smokers.

Anyway, prolly way more info than u wanted, but my overall point is Webers are great, and you can find parts easily to re-hab.
There are never too many words when describing a man-tool like a grill or smoker.  I'm going to drink a cold beer in your and everyone else's honor tonight. Especially that @Sullie guy. He might be the Weber Whisperer around here.

:banned:

I am still rocking my Big Green Egg and Weber Genesis for the past 14+ years now.  Both are still going strong and would highly recommend them to anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread