What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ben Tate- This season aside, what's his dynasty value? (5 Viewers)

Free agent Ben Tate: 'I'm an elite running back' in NFLBy Kevin Patra

Around the League writer

Ben Tate will hit free agency as the most sought-after running back on the open market. The 25-year-old plans on becoming a top-shelf NFL runner.

"I think I can bring you an elite running back," Tate told Fox 26 in Houston on Friday. "I've learned a lot being behind Arian (Foster). Definitely, when I'm healthy I think I'm an elite running back in this league, and I feel like I can show my abilities and my numbers and my play will speak for itself, and guys will be able to see that I am a guy who is a top-five running back in this league, which I believe once I get out there and get to show that on a consistent basis."

In a Facebook update posted Friday, Tate railed against those who diminish the running back position.

"I'm tired of people acting like RBs aren't really that important anymore," he wrote, citing the Seattle Seahawks' Super Bowl championship among his evidence to the contrary.

Tate is the top-rated running back in Around The League's top 101 free-agent list and No. 35 overall. His youth, power-running style and blocking ability will get him paid. In some eyes, he might get overpaid.

Tate reiterated that his time with the Houston Texans is over.

"I'm very grateful for the Texans selecting me and giving me an opportunity coming out of college," he said. "Without a doubt I'm very grateful for that. I just see it as a chapter closing in my life and opening a new chapter."

After sitting out what would have been his rookie year (2010) with a broken ankle, Tate had 421 carries for 1,992 yards (4.7 yards per carry) and 10 touchdowns in three seasons with the Texans.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" picks the biggest free agent bargains and plays the revolutionary game: "Get my lunch."

Rotoworld:

The Nashville Tennessean's Jim Wyatt "wouldn't be surprised" if the Titans "poked around" free agents Donald Brown and Ben Tate.
Both Tate and Brown have spent the past four years in the Titans' division. Brown shredded Tennessee in two games with the Colts last season, and would be a more logical committee partner for Shonn Greene. Tate would figure to become the Titans' clear feature back. He has far more talent than Greene.

Related: Titans

Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

The Nashville Tennessean's Jim Wyatt "wouldn't be surprised" if the Titans "poked around" free agents Donald Brown and Ben Tate.
Both Tate and Brown have spent the past four years in the Titans' division. Brown shredded Tennessee in two games with the Colts last season, and would be a more logical committee partner for Shonn Greene. Tate would figure to become the Titans' clear feature back. He has far more talent than Greene.

Related: Titans

Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter
Brown has a nice burst to the hole, but apart from that he's not a very talented back. He's been in the league for five years with minimal competition for touches and he's never able to assert himself as "the guy" for the Colts. Kinda says it all. He's more dynamic than Shonn Greene, but Greene brings more power and can handle a heavy workload. He has far more career rushing yards than Brown and is probably the better overall RB.

If Tennessee were to sign Brown then I would envision that becoming a truly ugly Lamar Miller/Daniel Thomas style RBBC where neither player has real value.

Faust said:
Free agent Ben Tate: 'I'm an elite running back' in NFL

By Kevin Patra

Around the League writer

Ben Tate will hit free agency as the most sought-after running back on the open market. The 25-year-old plans on becoming a top-shelf NFL runner.

"I think I can bring you an elite running back," Tate told Fox 26 in Houston on Friday. "I've learned a lot being behind Arian (Foster). Definitely, when I'm healthy I think I'm an elite running back in this league, and I feel like I can show my abilities and my numbers and my play will speak for itself, and guys will be able to see that I am a guy who is a top-five running back in this league, which I believe once I get out there and get to show that on a consistent basis."

In a Facebook update posted Friday, Tate railed against those who diminish the running back position.

"I'm tired of people acting like RBs aren't really that important anymore," he wrote, citing the Seattle Seahawks' Super Bowl championship among his evidence to the contrary.

Tate is the top-rated running back in Around The League's top 101 free-agent list and No. 35 overall. His youth, power-running style and blocking ability will get him paid. In some eyes, he might get overpaid.

Tate reiterated that his time with the Houston Texans is over.

"I'm very grateful for the Texans selecting me and giving me an opportunity coming out of college," he said. "Without a doubt I'm very grateful for that. I just see it as a chapter closing in my life and opening a new chapter."

After sitting out what would have been his rookie year (2010) with a broken ankle, Tate had 421 carries for 1,992 yards (4.7 yards per carry) and 10 touchdowns in three seasons with the Texans.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" picks the biggest free agent bargains and plays the revolutionary game: "Get my lunch."
The "when I am healthy" things is nothing to be ignored...As a Texans ' fan all I know is that offense functioned better consistently when Foster was in the line-up versus Tate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Browns are hosting Ben Tate for a free agent visit.
The free agent market has been established for running backs at three years, $10.5 million -- or at least that's what Toby Gerhart (Jaguars) and Donald Brown (Chargers) both received. Tate is still only 25 years old, and could be more willing to play on a one-year, "prove it" deal as a feature back in Cleveland. He needs to "prove" to teams that he can stay healthy for 16 games. Kyle Shanahan's rushing attack would be an excellent fit for his running skills.

Related: Browns

Source: Nate Ulrich on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Free agent Ben Tate is in Cleveland on Thursday for his Browns visit.
The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports Tate's visit, originally scheduled for Wednesday, was delayed by weather. There's still a chance Tate signs on his first visit. Tate is our top free agent running back still available, followed by Andre Brown, Knowshon Moreno, Maurice Jones-Drew, James Starks, LeGarrette Blount, and Anthony Dixon. It's not a good year to be a free agent back.

Related: Browns

Source: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter

Ben Tate - RB - Texans
Free agent Ben Tate will sign with Cleveland today if he passes his physical.
The proposed contract is performance-based, meaning Tate will have to stay on the field to get paid. That has been a problem for Tate in his career. He already has two IR stints in four years and struggled through several nagging injuries in 2013. When healthy, Tate has the talent to make a difference in an improving Browns' offense. He is on the RB2 radar for 2014.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer
Mar 15 - 9:29 AM

I think Tate will prove to be a nice high end RB2 this year, especially in PPR. I have always liked him, and he seems motivated to show he can play.

Ben Tate - RB - Browns

Browns agreed to terms with RB Ben Tate, formerly of the Texans, on a two-year contract.

Related: Texans

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Mar 15 - 2:38 PM

Ben Tate - RB - Browns

Browns agreed to terms with RB Ben Tate, formerly of the Texans, on a two-year contract.

Tate was the best running back on the market, but the Browns were the only team to make a public run. Extremely injury prone through the first four years of his career, Tate's contract is expected to be incentive-based. Coming from the Texans' zone-blocking scheme, Tate is a fit for fellow ZBS OC Kyle Shanahan, but will have to prove he can stay on the field before anything else. Although Tate has impressive burst, his game lacks wiggle. He's a downhill runner who will need his blocking to click to have the breakout year many have long expected. Despite the question marks, Tate and his career 4.7 YPC have definite RB2 potential in 2014.

Related: Texans

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Mar 15 - 2:38 PM

I could easily see him being a higher producing back then any rookie this year. His value should reflect that, early to mid 1st IMO, like 1.3-1.5 range.

Good one, lol.

However, get your digs in while ya can. We will be a much less easy target when we are a 500 team this year, because we are NOT taking a QB at pick 4. Instead we will draft a player who can actually help the team.

I am not sure what rookie pick I would take/give for Tate right now. I can see easily giving a top 5 pick if you need a RB.

As for trading him away, other than a couple rookies, none of them look to be clearly more valuable.

Obviously some will be, but who?

Exactly. I think trading a rookie RB now - prior I the landing spots - seems reasonable if you are getting Tate. After the draft, depending on who and where, Tate might be worth more or less than any number of backs. It really depends.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Cleveland says the Browns' concerns about Ben Tate's durability led to a team-friendly two-year deal.
Tate has missed 24 games in his four-year career, battling ankle, hamstring, foot and rib issues. So he had to watch as far less talented backs such as Donald Brown and Toby Gerhart inked deals worth $10.5 million over three years. Tate got two years and "up to" $7 million. If healthy, he'll be a strong bet to outperform that contract as an ideal one-cut, downhill fit for the Shanny & Son zone-blocking scheme.

Source: ESPN Cleveland

Rotoworld:

Ben Tate's contract with the Browns contains $750,000 in per-game roster bonuses.
Due to durability concerns, the Browns structured the deal in a way that will keep Tate highly motivated to stay on the field. He got a $1.5 million signing bonus and a $1 million guaranteed base salary in 2014, and then will earn $46,875 for every game he's active. Those per-game bonuses are also in the contract for 2015. Tate has missed 24 games in his four-year career due to ankle, hamstring, foot and rib injuries.

Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

Ben Tate's contract with the Browns contains $750,000 in per-game roster bonuses.
Due to durability concerns, the Browns structured the deal in a way that will keep Tate highly motivated to stay on the field. He got a $1.5 million signing bonus and a $1 million guaranteed base salary in 2014, and then will earn $46,875 for every game he's active. Those per-game bonuses are also in the contract for 2015. Tate has missed 24 games in his four-year career due to ankle, hamstring, foot and rib injuries.

Source: ESPN.com
Wow, you can't beat that for the Browns.

I assume Tate is thinking he'll be a top RB and in the offseason sign a big extension ?
It's a 2-year contract.

Honestly, 2-3 year contracts for small salaries are the worst contracts you can possibly sign. If you play poorly, they'll cut you after a year. If you play well, they control your rights for another year or two on the cheap. It's all of the downsides of a 1-year contract paired with all of the downsides of a long-term contract. Or, alternately, it's none of the benefits of a long-term contract paired with none of the upside of a 1-year "prove it" deal. Look at Terrance Knighton in Denver- he came on like gangbusters and was one of their best defensive players to end the season, and Denver gets to keep him for another year for peanuts. If he'd been hitting the market right now, he'd be making a lot more money right now.

If Tate took a 2-year contract, it really shows just how soft the market for RBs was.

I assume Tate is thinking he'll be a top RB and in the offseason sign a big extension ?
It's a 2-year contract.

Honestly, 2-3 year contracts for small salaries are the worst contracts you can possibly sign. If you play poorly, they'll cut you after a year. If you play well, they control your rights for another year or two on the cheap. It's all of the downsides of a 1-year contract paired with all of the downsides of a long-term contract. Or, alternately, it's none of the benefits of a long-term contract paired with none of the upside of a 1-year "prove it" deal. Look at Terrance Knighton in Denver- he came on like gangbusters and was one of their best defensive players to end the season, and Denver gets to keep him for another year for peanuts. If he'd been hitting the market right now, he'd be making a lot more money right now.

If Tate took a 2-year contract, it really shows just how soft the market for RBs was.
From a legal contract perspective this is all accurate. But I suspect that Tate may have been able to go elsewhere for more years and/or money, but he really wanted to play where he thinks he has the best chance of success (Zone block scheme and the featured guy). To me this is a good sign that he is serious about performing. The fact that the contract pays him a certain amount for each game played is also a good thing--it shows me that HE thinks he will be healthy and he doesn't think he has an injury prone issue. It also incentivizes him to play if he has a minor injury.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a 2-year contract.

From a legal contract perspective this is all accurate. But I suspect that Tate may have been able to go elsewhere for more years and/or money, but he really wanted to play where he thinks he has the best chance of success (Zone block scheme and the featured guy). To me this is a good sign that he is serious about performing. The fact that the contract pays him a certain amount for each game played is also a good thing--it shows me that HE thinks he will be healthy and he doesn't think he has an injury prone issue. It also incentivizes him to play if he has a minor injury.
Sure, there are reasons for Tate to sign with Cleveland. It was pretty much the best possible landing spot on the market, and I think Tate will perform better than if he'd accepted a contract somewhere else. Doesn't change the fact that Ben Tate was the top available RB, and he just signed an absolute woofer of a contract. It's almost hard to fathom just how soft the market is for RBs right now. It's even harder to fathom that Trent Richardson managed to command a 1st round pick just a few months ago, because apparently the entire league is treating FA RBs as if they're equivalent in value to 4th receivers and utility backup OLs.

It's a 2-year contract.

Sure, there are reasons for Tate to sign with Cleveland. It was pretty much the best possible landing spot on the market, and I think Tate will perform better than if he'd accepted a contract somewhere else. Doesn't change the fact that Ben Tate was the top available RB, and he just signed an absolute woofer of a contract. It's almost hard to fathom just how soft the market is for RBs right now. It's even harder to fathom that Trent Richardson managed to command a 1st round pick just a few months ago, because apparently the entire league is treating FA RBs as if they're equivalent in value to 4th receivers and utility backup OLs.
Donald Brown and Toby Gerhart both got paid more.

It's a 2-year contract.

They both got longer contracts, which at the crappy rate might actually be less desirable IMO. If Tate has two good years in Cleveland he'll get to test the market again -- and the market for RBs really can't get much worse than it is right now.

That said, the Donald Brown deal just looks like a dumb decision to me. Brown sucks, and Gerhart and Tate are at least serviceable, if not better.

It's a 2-year contract.

They both got longer contracts, which at the crappy rate might actually be less desirable IMO. If Tate has two good years in Cleveland he'll get to test the market again -- and the market for RBs really can't get much worse than it is right now.

That said, the Donald Brown deal just looks like a dumb decision to me. Brown sucks, and Gerhart and Tate are at least serviceable, if not better.
He'll be 28 then and on the downside of his career.

It's a 2-year contract.

They both got longer contracts, which at the crappy rate might actually be less desirable IMO. If Tate has two good years in Cleveland he'll get to test the market again -- and the market for RBs really can't get much worse than it is right now.That said, the Donald Brown deal just looks like a dumb decision to me. Brown sucks, and Gerhart and Tate are at least serviceable, if not better.
He'll be 28 then and on the downside of his career.
So? Just last offseason Steven Jackson was 29 and got 3 / $12 million, and Reggie Bush was 28 and got 4 / $16 million. If Tate thinks that he can perform in Cleveland, it's completely reasonable for him to prefer 2 years over 3 given the low $3.5 million / year he's getting. Who knows what the market will look like in 2016?

He landed exactly where a lot of people had him pegged many months ago to land and, still it's hard to get excited about.

He is probably just a it better in fantasy than what he was in houston and that's sad but realistic. For him to be effective and put up big fantasy numbers the browns have to stay on the field a lot and score better than they have. I can see them scoring more but they still aren't a team that is going to stay on the field a lot and that

S where Tate shines. He came in after Foster and wore on people. As a starter, he had some physicality but the difference between him as a starter and him as a 1-2 punch is noticeable.

Good player but not a big jump fantasy player.

If he manages to stay healthy, he will pretty easily produce in the top 15 for PPR RB with upside to be top 10.

Big if I realize since he hasnt shown a full season of health yet, let alone doing it while being a starter.

for the same reason Cameron got a huge bump last year due to coaching change, I think we can expect the same for Tate. He is going to a system that is PERFECT for his running style and skill set. Its a big factor in why I think he's in a great spot and a great buy low.

If he manages to stay healthy, he will pretty easily produce in the top 15 for PPR RB with upside to be top 10.

Big if I realize since he hasnt shown a full season of health yet, let alone doing it while being a starter.
Agree with this. The Browns ran for almost 1400 yards @ 4 YPC last year using a bunch of RBs that would barely play for a decent NCAA program. If Tate stays healthy, he's going to have a pretty good year.

He landed exactly where a lot of people had him pegged many months ago to land and, still it's hard to get excited about.

He is probably just a it better in fantasy than what he was in houston and that's sad but realistic. For him to be effective and put up big fantasy numbers the browns have to stay on the field a lot and score better than they have. I can see them scoring more but they still aren't a team that is going to stay on the field a lot and that

S where Tate shines. He came in after Foster and wore on people. As a starter, he had some physicality but the difference between him as a starter and him as a 1-2 punch is noticeable.

Good player but not a big jump fantasy player.
Good post. But it is March and things can happen.

The Browns have already snagged Hawkins , who was really good in 2012 (hurt last year). There are a lot of ifs, but they can possibly get Watkins to go across from Gordon. They already have Cameron. Hoyer looked decent in a brief stretch last year.

Can't wait for September.

Rotoworld:

Ben Tate - RB - Browns

Browns RB Ben Tate was "a little nicked up" during minicamp, but "took reps when he could."

It's not at all a concern for Tate's training camp or Week 1 status, but a reminder that this is a player who has spent the majority of his career a "little nicked up." Tate has big-time RB2 upside in OC Kyle Shanahan's zone-blocking rushing attack, but is an obvious injury risk. Fantasy owners need to handcuff Tate with third-rounder Terrance West.

Source: Nate Ulrich on Twitter

Jun 12 - 1:44 PM

Rotoworld:

Ben Tate - RB - Browns

Browns RB Ben Tate said he does not see third-round pick Terrance West as a threat to his job.

"I’m not worried about that because I know when I’m on my game," Tate said, "there’s no one that can really touch me or that’s close to what I do." Tate probably is the best running back on the team when healthy, but the when healthy part has always been a problem. He has missed 24 games through his four-year career, and he ceded first-team carries to West during minicamp because he was "a little nicked up." Tate is the starter right now, but he will have to stay healthy to hold off the oncoming freight train named Terrance West.

Source: Akron Beacon-Journal

Jun 12 - 7:51 PM

Users who are viewing this thread