What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ben Tate- This season aside, what's his dynasty value? (5 Viewers)

Kerplunk! That sound was Tate's value hitting rock bottom. I am holding out hope he signs with the Colts and has some respectable production. Baring that scenario his value is barely above zero.

I am close to dropping him but will wait to see if a team signs him this week. If not, he is worthless.

Tate is probably the 35th most valuable RB or so, meaning he has a roster spot in any 12-team Dynasty league.

In terms of a Keeper league, he's worthless presuming you lose the draft slot where he was picked this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure the Vikings were only going to carry him as a long as they were playoff viable. He wasn't in their plans long term to begin with. Why think it's an indictment of him otherwise?
:shrug:

Houston let him walk, Cleveland cut him, the Vikings cut him before the end of the season even though they have no starter-quality RBs. All adds up to the guy isn't very good IMO.
He wanted and expected to be the starter somewhere. Cleveland can't name a starter if their future depended on it. He was frustrated and cut before he became a distraction. Likely Pettine thought they were doing him a favor. Vikes weren't going to keep him and he didn't want to be there. He's moving on to likely a considerably less bright NFL future. He has talent but can't seem to put it together. Ho-hum.

Pats signed Blount who was dropped.

Indy or San Diego or....I would imagine some playoff team could use an extra

Tate's problem is his knees aren't solid. He has plenty of talent and desire. He just can't cut and has lost burst.

Bri said:
Pats signed Blount who was dropped.

Indy or San Diego or....I would imagine some playoff team could use an extra
Blount was different in that he wasn't cut on performance.

Rotoworld take:

Ben Tate - RB - Steelers

Steelers signed RB Ben Tate.

It's a strong sign Le'Veon Bell (knee) will miss Saturday's game against the Ravens. Tate showed nothing as a runner this season, averaging 3.11 yards across 119 carries, but will offer a veteran presence behind greenhorns Josh Harris and Dri Archer. He could spend most of his time pass blocking, though he's never been sterling in protection. Tate is unlikely to see more than 5-6 touches in the Wild Card round.

Dec 30 - 2:34 PM

Is Ben Tate even worth a roster spot anymore in deep dynasty leagues? I have heard no news and I assume no news is bad news if you are an NFL RB.

Rotoworld:

Free agent RB Ben Tate is working out for the Cowboys Thursday.

Tate's 2014 season was draped in red flags as he was outplayed by Isaiah Crowell/Terrance West in Cleveland, complained about his role and was released. He then bounced to Minnesota and Pittsburgh, continuing to show zero burst. So it's highly unlikely he'd provide Dallas an upgrade on their current underwhelming stable of Joseph Randle, Darren McFadden, Ryan Williams and Lance Dunbar. Still, the Cowboys' desire to at least kick the tires on Tate suggests they're not done tinkering at the running back position.

Related: Cowboys

Source: Josina Anderson on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Free agent RB Ben Tate is working out for the Cowboys Thursday.

Tate's 2014 season was draped in red flags as he was outplayed by Isaiah Crowell/Terrance West in Cleveland, complained about his role and was released. He then bounced to Minnesota and Pittsburgh, continuing to show zero burst. So it's highly unlikely he'd provide Dallas an upgrade on their current underwhelming stable of Joseph Randle, Darren McFadden, Ryan Williams and Lance Dunbar. Still, the Cowboys' desire to at least kick the tires on Tate suggests they're not done tinkering at the running back position.

Related: Cowboys

I wouldn't waste my time with Tate. The player they currently have on their roster are better than this bum. He's available on the WW in several of my leagues and I could add him right now, but I'm not going to bother.

I'd say wait and see what happens. Tate looked rough last year after he got hurt, but in his 1st game in Cleveland he had 22 for 124. Then he was injured, yes, again. He's worth a free add to me for sure. He's looked like an NFL talent far more recently than McFadden has, I know that.

I'd say wait and see what happens. Tate looked rough last year after he got hurt, but in his 1st game in Cleveland he had 22 for 124. Then he was injured, yes, again. He's worth a free add to me for sure. He's looked like an NFL talent far more recently than McFadden has, I know that.
One blurb from the Rotoworld report - He then bounced to Minnesota and Pittsburgh, continuing to show zero burst.

That is telling.

One blurb from the Rotoworld report - He then bounced to Minnesota and Pittsburgh, continuing to show zero burst.

That is telling.
It is, but if you can pick him up for free, why not because the only thing that can happen is a +. He signs with Dallas and generates enough buzz you maybe trade him for something??

Like to see what he can behind that line.

JohnnyU said:
Holy Schneikes said:

That is telling.
Like I said, he was injured in game 1, so there is a good chance he wasn't really in top form at the end of the year. I'm not at all saying that if Dallas signs him he's guaranteed to be "the man". I'm saying stranger things have happened. He has a career 4.4 and has really only looked BAD in one year - a year in which we know he had a bad knee.

Actually, I was wrong about the stats earlier after looking at it again. In his 1st week he went out early, but was at 6 for 41 for 6.8 YPC. His first game BACK he had 22 for 124, with no huge runs inflating the average, just good solid running. Maybe he re-tweaked the knee a bit after that? Who knows, but he sucked the rest of the year for sure.

Obviously, he's had trouble staying healthy. And you never want to bet heavily on a guy in that category. IF (and it's a big one), he's fully healthy and stay that way, AND he gets signed, he COULD be the most talented guy there. A lot has to go right there, but I'm in for a lottery ticket.

JohnnyU said:
Holy Schneikes said:

That is telling.
Like I said, he was injured in game 1, so there is a good chance he wasn't really in top form at the end of the year. I'm not at all saying that if Dallas signs him he's guaranteed to be "the man". I'm saying stranger things have happened. He has a career 4.4 and has really only looked BAD in one year - a year in which we know he had a bad knee.

Actually, I was wrong about the stats earlier after looking at it again. In his 1st week he went out early, but was at 6 for 41 for 6.8 YPC. His first game BACK he had 22 for 124, with no huge runs inflating the average, just good solid running. Maybe he re-tweaked the knee a bit after that? Who knows, but he sucked the rest of the year for sure.

Obviously, he's had trouble staying healthy. And you never want to bet heavily on a guy in that category. IF (and it's a big one), he's fully healthy and stay that way, AND he gets signed, he COULD be the most talented guy there. A lot has to go right there, but I'm in for a lottery ticket.
They probably won't even sign him. I don't see him better than the RBs they currently have on their roster.

Tate sucked last year, but then, "better than Darren McFadden and Ryan Williams" isn't exactly a high bar to get over. Maybe the three of them can get some group deal on injury insurance if he signs...

No idea why Dallas hasn't kicked the tires on Chris Johnson -- yeah, he's a shell of his former self, but he at least has looked like he belongs in the NFL in the past three years. DMC and Williams not so much...

JohnnyU said:
Holy Schneikes said:

That is telling.

They probably won't even sign him. I don't see him better than the RBs they currently have on their roster.
You could easily be right.

But the current ostensible starters are:

Darren McFadden

Signed with a 200K guarantee. Could cut him today and no real risk to team.

Last time he broke 3.4 YPC was 4 years ago.

I put Tate above him in a heartbeat.

Then Randle is the other guy. Looked great last year with limited touches (behind an obviously amazing line). But here's an interesting note on Randle's brief career. In the 4 games he has carried the ball 10+ times he has averaged 2.54 yards per carry. No typo, 2.54. Despite his lofty overall YPC on 51 carries last year, I don't think that tells the whole story on this 3rd year 5th round guy. Oh, and by the way, he lost 2 fumbles on his 51 carries last year.

JohnnyU said:
Holy Schneikes said:

That is telling.

You could easily be right.

But the current ostensible starters are:

Darren McFadden

Signed with a 200K guarantee. Could cut him today and no real risk to team.

Last time he broke 3.4 YPC was 4 years ago.

I put Tate above him in a heartbeat.

Then Randle is the other guy. Looked great last year with limited touches (behind an obviously amazing line). But here's an interesting note on Randle's brief career. In the 4 games he has carried the ball 10+ times he has averaged 2.54 yards per carry. No typo, 2.54. Despite his lofty overall YPC on 51 carries last year, I don't think that tells the whole story on this 3rd year 5th round guy. Oh, and by the way, he lost 2 fumbles on his 51 carries last year.
I wouldn't worry so much about who he is competing against and just look at Tate himself. He doesn't appear to be very good.

The funny thing about Tate is we all are experiencing the "recenct effect" with him because of a truly wasted 2014 but it was just literally a year ago when he had A)shown to very capable when he played (he did have injury questions but there was no doubt he could be a power RB in the NFl when he played) and B) was at that age where he was considered to be talented+low-mileage. Now, one year of bad injuries later, we perceive him as a broken down low-talent bum.

I'm sure the truth is in the middle: He's a low-mileage guy that has shown he can play but has legit concerns about durability.

If they signed him, I would not be one bit shocked to look up Week 5 and see him as a top 5 fantasy RB. The way he plays, he gets yards, he can score in the redzone, he can carry the ball 20+ times a game. I also wouldn't be shocked to see him as part of a slap-stick rbbc.

Like I said earlier today, I like his name out there in Dallas because he will create some value. I don't want to rely on him for my ff team if he's signed. he's not a savior, he's a "saver" (you send him to a buyer and get some value off something in players, picks, etc.

If healthy could be a good fit because of running style but the probability of good health is near 0%, imo

If healthy could be a good fit because of running style but the probability of good health is near 0%, imo
Agreed, and getting cut by two teams is not a good sign.
Yeah, that is certainly not a good endorsement for Tate. While I have never been particularly sold on Tate as an NFL runner, the Dallas situation presents an opportunity, so any back getting a workout in Dallas will pique my interest. Dallas may continue to due their due diligence by kicking the tires on the likes of Ray Rice, Chris Johnson, Pierre Thomas, Ahmad Bradshaw, Knowshon Moreno . . . (who am I forgetting?)

Who are potential trade targets for Dallas or possible camp casualties who could land with the Cowboys? Adrian Peterson? (Been discussed to death) Alfred Morris? (seems unlikely that Washington would part with Morris, especially within the NFC East) Bryce Brown? (Not endearing himself to the new coaching staff in Buf, but is there anything to see?) Ronnie Hillman? (perhaps a roster casualty?) Tre Mason? (intriguing, but with Zac Stacy already moved, Mason seems certain to remain in StL) Knile Davis? (I know, this is a pointless exercise, but is is May)

Dallas bringing in Felix Jones and Ben Tate shows Dallas is at least willing to look.

McFadden is far removed from looking like a quality back; Randle cannot stay out of trouble; Dunbar lacks the size of a feature back; Williams has never put it together in the NFL. I think we all agree the situation is at least intriguing.

Tate bashed on rotoworld, but 5 carries for 19 yards behind the Steelers line isn't awful. Have to see him practice to see if explosion is gone as Roto said.

Rotoworld:

Ben Tate - RB - Free Agent

Free agent RB Ben Tate will work out for the Lions on Tuesday.

It's Tate's second workout in the past couple weeks after he tried out for the running back-needy Cowboys late last month. Tate has garnered little interest since flopping badly with the Browns and Vikings last season. He's still just 28 (in August) and was viewed as the top free-agent runner last offseason. In Detroit, this could be a sign that Joique Bell (Achilles', knee) isn't yet 100 percent.

Related: Lions

Jun 8 - 6:20 PM

Rotoworld:

Ben Tate - RB - Free Agent

Free agent RB Ben Tate will work out for the Lions on Tuesday.It's Tate's second workout in the past couple weeks after he tried out for the running back-needy Cowboys late last month. Tate has garnered little interest since flopping badly with the Browns and Vikings last season. He's still just 28 (in August) and was viewed as the top free-agent runner last offseason. In Detroit, this could be a sign that Joique Bell (Achilles', knee) isn't yet 100 percent.

Related: Lions

Jun 8 - 6:20 PM
Tate was born 8-21-88, so is 26, and turns 27 in August of 2015.

Users who are viewing this thread