What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ben Tate- This season aside, what's his dynasty value? (6 Viewers)

If he gets traded to most other teams he is the starter, I don't have a value on it, but I'm targeting him in my dynasty start up tomorrow.
i don't see as an improvement to many rb corps.And it will be more cost effective to draft a rookie rather than ink the unproven veteran.
This is his 3rd year, he has played exceptionally well in the league - behind Arian Foster.He has over 5 YPC on 240 carries in his two years.
YPC for cop backs are inflated. His issues staying on the field are more noteworthy imho
In Ben Tate's 3 games as Houston's primary ballcarrier, he has 63/316/2 rushing and 8/56/0 receiving. That's 5.01 ypc, nearly identical to his career average. I'd say he's done just fine outside of a CoP role, too.

Edit: Tate's going to be a 26-year-old free agent with a 5+ career YPC next season. Someone's already mentioned Michael Turner, but Chester Taylor and LaMont Jordan have also had great seasons after switching teams via free agency. Right now, I've got Tate in my top 24 dynasty RBs, and I think he makes a great investment for any team focusing on the future.
Lamont Jordan, there's a blast from the past. Not sure that's the best example. Looked up his stats. had 1 decent year where he scored 9 td's/1000 yds on a 3.8 yrd / carry, then was injured/ didn't do much.

ETA: and chester taylor's stats a little better, but not much.
I deliberately picked two underwhelming examples. LaMont Jordan had one season where he was RB8 (in 14 games). He basically produced 100 points of VBD. Then he fell off the cliff and was never heard from again. If that's all I get out of Ben Tate, I'm still pretty happy with it.

Tate could wind up being a bust, too. There's a broad spectrum of talented backups who have gone on to second teams, I was just trying to give a middle ground between Michael Turner and Michael Bush. As it stands, he's a 25-year-old former 2nd round pick with a 5.0+ career ypc and some success in limited action in the featured role. That's a pretty valuable mix, one well worth gambling on. Doesn't mean it's not a gamble, just means it's a good one.

Rotoworld:

Appearing on Sunday NFL Countdown, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Browns plan to pursue Texans free-agent-to-be Ben Tate in the offseason.

Tate is going to get paid by someone. After trading Trent Richardson away earlier this week, the Browns' running back of the future isn't on the roster. Willis McGahee is just a 2013 stop-gap, while Bobby Rainey and Chris Ogbonnaya are pure backups. Tate is averaging 8.2 YPC on 18 attempts this season. The Texans may not let him get away with Arian Foster showing signs of decline.

Related: Browns

Sep 22 - 11:07 AM

Rotoworld:

Coach Gary Kubiak said he still hopes to get Ben Tate 12-15 carries when he can.
Arian Foster is flashing his Pro Bowl form of late and Tate lost a critical fumble in Sunday's loss to the Seahawks. But Kubiak has no intention of bailing on his talented backup who is averaging 6.7 YPC on the season. "I want Ben, on a given day, I want Ben to get his 12 to 15 in there and Arian to get his 25 if things are going that way," Kubiak said. "I think Arian has stepped forward. I think Ben has continuously done his job." There won't be enough carries or production to go around in Week 5 against the Niners, but Tate will be on the flex radar against the Rams in Week 6.

Related: Arian Foster

Source: Houston Chronicle

Rotoworld:

Coach Gary Kubiak said he still hopes to get Ben Tate 12-15 carries when he can.
Arian Foster is flashing his Pro Bowl form of late and Tate lost a critical fumble in Sunday's loss to the Seahawks. But Kubiak has no intention of bailing on his talented backup who is averaging 6.7 YPC on the season. "I want Ben, on a given day, I want Ben to get his 12 to 15 in there and Arian to get his 25 if things are going that way," Kubiak said. "I think Arian has stepped forward. I think Ben has continuously done his job." There won't be enough carries or production to go around in Week 5 against the Niners, but Tate will be on the flex radar against the Rams in Week 6.

These quotes always make me laugh.

"I want Ben to get his 12 to 15 in there"

Well, then give it to him...you're the coach, it's not like you have to ask permission to someone else.

Rotoworld:

Appearing on Sunday NFL Countdown, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Browns plan to pursue Texans free-agent-to-be Ben Tate in the offseason.

Tate is going to get paid by someone. After trading Trent Richardson away earlier this week, the Browns' running back of the future isn't on the roster. Willis McGahee is just a 2013 stop-gap, while Bobby Rainey and Chris Ogbonnaya are pure backups. Tate is averaging 8.2 YPC on 18 attempts this season. The Texans may not let him get away with Arian Foster showing signs of decline.

if Ben continues to perform this yr the Texans are going to tag him and not let him leave

Rotoworld:

Appearing on Sunday NFL Countdown, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Browns plan to pursue Texans free-agent-to-be Ben Tate in the offseason.Tate is going to get paid by someone. After trading Trent Richardson away earlier this week, the Browns' running back of the future isn't on the roster. Willis McGahee is just a 2013 stop-gap, while Bobby Rainey and Chris Ogbonnaya are pure backups. Tate is averaging 8.2 YPC on 18 attempts this season. The Texans may not let him get away with Arian Foster showing signs of decline.Related: Browns

if Ben continues to perform this yr the Texans are going to tag him and not let him leave
Could they afford this?

Rotoworld:

Well, then give it to him...you're the coach, it's not like you have to ask permission to someone else.
I thought you were laughing for another reason :oldunsure:

Rotoworld:

Appearing on Sunday NFL Countdown, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Browns plan to pursue Texans free-agent-to-be Ben Tate in the offseason.Tate is going to get paid by someone. After trading Trent Richardson away earlier this week, the Browns' running back of the future isn't on the roster. Willis McGahee is just a 2013 stop-gap, while Bobby Rainey and Chris Ogbonnaya are pure backups. Tate is averaging 8.2 YPC on 18 attempts this season. The Texans may not let him get away with Arian Foster showing signs of decline.Related: Browns

Could they afford this?
Not a chance.

Rotoworld:

There is nearly a 0% chance of this happening. The tag was 7 or 8 million this year, depending on which one was used. Unless they trade Foster, they can't afford to pay their backup RB that kind of money.

Rotoworld:

I thought you were laughing for another reason :oldunsure:
:lmao:

I see him having a Michael Turner type effect wherever he goes. As long as he's the lead back, he should be successful.

as a browns fan, i think tate on this team would be money next year, especially if they can improve at all at QB

o-line looked much better this past week than they did with richardson in there...not sure how much of that was health and how much was richardson's fault but it's worth keeping an eye on for the rest of this season. they have the kind of defense that makes coaches want to grind it out with the run, and they have enough threats in the passing game to make that the primary focus of defenses. their division is softer than in years past as well - could be a real nice situation all around.

Rotoworld:

There is nearly a 0% chance of this happening. The tag was 7 or 8 million this year, depending on which one was used. Unless they trade Foster, they can't afford to pay their backup RB that kind of money.
depends on how much mileage they think they can squeeze out of Foster after this yr

Rotoworld:

depends on how much mileage they think they can squeeze out of Foster after this yr
The Texans have shown they can make anyone successful in their system. IMO Tate's future in Houston was sealed when they signed Foster to a long term deal. They are already on the hook for too much money with Foster for them to re-sign Tate at his expected asking price.

Ya never know what can happed the rest of this year. Maybe Foster completely dies, or gets hurt, and gets cut. Or FOster plays as usual and looks to be their RB next year, in which case tate is gone.

EIther way, Tate is starting somewhere next year, so once the offseason starts his value will quadruple.

Ok, I'm done with this guy. He is nothing but an enigma. He has been a tease the last 2 years. I'm sick of him and his lying *** coach. Yeah, sure you want to keep Foster 'fresh' and ready for the playoffs and go to more of an 'even' split. Whatever, Kubiak. Foster just got 27 carries, while averaging 3.8 YPC this season. Tate is averaging 6.7 YPC and has looked explosive. Same old Texans just don't learn. No wonder they are 2-2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I'm done with this guy. He is nothing but an enigma. He has been a tease the last 2 years. I'm sick of him and his lying *** coach. Yeah, sure you want to keep Foster 'fresh' and ready for the playoffs and go to more of an 'even' split. Whatever, Kubiak. Foster just got 27 carries, while averaging 3.8 YPC this season. Tate is averaging 6.7 YPC and has looked explosive. Same old Texans just don't learn. No wonder they are 2-2.
Ben Tate is an unrestricted free agent with a 5+ career YPC who is poised to make serious bank this offseason as some team pays him big money to be a featured back, and you're done with him in dynasty because Kubiak keeps saying he wants to give Tate 12 carries and then actually only giving him 6?

Tate got benched for a horrible fumble. Otherwise he would have gotten his 12-15 touches. The running game has nothing to do with why the Texans are 2-2.

Now is the time to give up on Tate................................................is what I would say on opposite day.

Given the likely outcomes, Tate's value is pretty strong.

-If he stays in Houston somehow that almost certainly means Foster is out (can't see that being the case barring a Hernandez type personal issue).

-If he goes somewhere, he is certainly picking a place where he is believing he is THE man. He is not going to go sign in Minny and backup ADP or even Denver and "compete" for a job.

With that ebing said, I don't think he is talented to a point to where we can say situaiton isn't a big factor. For instance, if he signs with the Niners and the Niners say "Gore is out and Lattimore just isnt going to be able to do it" then he skyrockets. If he goes to the Browns or the Jags, its different. So, overall, I think you really have to say "definite value" but watch it closely.

If you want him next year, you need to have him now or get him before the end of the season because once he is in that range where he is a FA, the rumors and people's imaginations will inflate his perceived value.

Now is the time to give up on Tate................................................is what I would say on opposite day.
how long did you think about that witty comment before posting? 10 sec? 30 sec? been sitting on it for days?

To try and compare his value with a trade offer, I offered Amendola straight up for Tate to a guy who could use a better WR4 (currently it is Roddy who isn't himself) and got denied almost instantly. When I thought of the idea to try and do that (2 weeks ago maybe?), I thought it would be close but apparently not.

Maybe I'll try again when Amendola strings together a couple nice games.

GeeYouknit said:
To try and compare his value with a trade offer, I offered Amendola straight up for Tate to a guy who could use a better WR4 (currently it is Roddy who isn't himself) and got denied almost instantly. When I thought of the idea to try and do that (2 weeks ago maybe?), I thought it would be close but apparently not.

Maybe I'll try again when Amendola strings together a couple nice games.
I wouldn't take that either. Amendola is always hurt. If it was dynasty I probably would have called you names.

Houston Texans' Ben Tate auditioning for his next jobBy Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

With Texans bell cow Arian Foster out for the rest of the season and facing back surgery, the spotlight in Houston now falls on running back Ben Tate.

Playing through the pain of four cracked ribs, Tate will be running for more than just yardage and touchdowns over the next eight games. In the final year of his rookie contract, Foster's understudy is auditioning for his next job.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport noted Sunday that Houston can't afford both backs, meaning Tate -- pining for a lead role -- likely is headed elsewhere in 2014.

Just 25 years old, Tate has the talent and track record to net a major contract from a team in search of a foundation back. One possible suitor? How about the Cleveland Browns, who reportedly have coveted Tate as a potential free-agent addition since shipping Trent Richardson to the Indianapolis Colts in September.

Tate displayed brute toughness playing through the rib injury in last week's tight loss to the Colts. His 4.5 yards per carry on the ground in 34 career appearances suggests the potential and raw materials for a larger role, but the Browns will have competition for Tate's services if he takes off down the stretch.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" previews every Week 10 game, including the heavyweight battle between the Carolina Panthers and San Francisco 49ers.

FWIW, in 12 team PPR dynasty, this week I traded Witten to acquire Tate. I like what he has shown so far and I am expecting him to get a shot to start next year.

I am wondering if the Shark Pool is cooling off on Tate's long term dynasty value.

Rotoworld:

Ben Tate rushed seven times for one yard in Houston's Week 12 loss to the Jaguars, adding five catches for 26 yards.

Monumentally ineffective as a runner, Tate was benched for Dennis Johnson midway through the second quarter, though he did manage to notch three receptions after halftime. The five grabs somewhat mitigated the damage in PPR leagues, but it was an unmitigated disaster of an afternoon for standard-format purposes. Tate ran stiff, losing yards on three of his seven carries. It was an inexcusable effort against a run defense that entered Week 12 allowing the most yards in the league. It's unlikely Tate will be out-right benched for Johnson in Week 13 against the Patriots, but he can't be trusted as more than a FLEX option.

Nov 24 - 5:02 PM
Coach Gary Kubiak said he stuck with Dennis Johnson in Sunday's loss to the Jags because "when he went in he just looked so good running the ball."

Kubiak planned to just spell Ben Tate with Johnson, but that plan went out the window as Tate managed a mere one yard on seven carries. Johnson ended up with 13 carries for 74 yards. Tate will start next week's game against the Patriots, but we can no longer assume he'll be a workhorse. Johnson has earned a committee type role. Both backs will be weak fantasy plays in a game the Texans project to be trailing in.

Related: Ben Tate

Source: ESPN.com
I know he was playing with the broken ribs and that certainly could have had an impact, but I thought that he was feeling dramatically better then he did a few weeks ago.

Rotoworld:

Coach Gary Kubiak said he'll continue to rely on Ben Tate as the Texans' No. 1 running back.

Tate rushed seven times for a pitiful one yard against the Jaguars on Sunday, while Dennis Johnson carried it 13 times for 74 yards. "There were a couple of times where there really wasn't any room for (Tate). I don’t know if he ever got in a rhythm with what he's doing," Kubiak said. "We know what he’s battling through. He’s not practicing during the week; he’s just playing on Sundays. So I know that’s tough from that standpoint. I think Ben will bounce back." Look for the two backs to split the load a bit more down the stretch, with Tate remaining the starter. Tate won't be anything more than a flex play in Week 13.

Related: Dennis Johnson

I am wondering if the Shark Pool is cooling off on Tate's long term dynasty value.
Honestly, it's always depended on who signs him next year. He's not Adrian Peterson where he'll tear up any situation, but he's good enough to make some noise if an RB needy team decides to give him a shot. As an owner in a one of my dynasty leagues, I wish he was playing better right now... but it's always been a question of where he winds up. That hasn't really changed.

Honestly, it's always depended on who signs him next year. He's not Adrian Peterson where he'll tear up any situation, but he's good enough to make some noise if an RB needy team decides to give him a shot. As an owner in a one of my dynasty leagues, I wish he was playing better right now... but it's always been a question of where he winds up. That hasn't really changed.
well yeah. but he's clearly not running as well as he has previously. whether it's the OL or injuries, it seems like his value is on the decline. Some teams may look through that and take a shot but it seems less likely that he'll be a stud rb next year - which i think some people were thinking at the beginning of the year - and more likely he ends up in a committee type role - which could still be valuable on the right team.

well yeah. but he's clearly not running as well as he has previously. whether it's the OL or injuries, it seems like his value is on the decline. Some teams may look through that and take a shot but it seems less likely that he'll be a stud rb next year - which i think some people were thinking at the beginning of the year - and more likely he ends up in a committee type role - which could still be valuable on the right team.
Fantasy players tend to look at the short term. What have you done for me lately? I would hope that GMs look a broader spectrum of player performance. As Adam said, he is not elite. But he has been good. At 25, he is still young and there is no way that he is declining. I said this in another thread--but I like backs who can play when hurt. I suspect GMs do too. I doubt he is going to be handed a job without any competition, but I expect him to get an opportunity similar to what Ivory got. And I think he will do better with it than Ivory because he won't go down with a hamstring before the season even starts.

Fantasy players tend to look at the short term. What have you done for me lately? I would hope that GMs look a broader spectrum of player performance. As Adam said, he is not elite. But he has been good. At 25, he is still young and there is no way that he is declining. I said this in another thread--but I like backs who can play when hurt. I suspect GMs do too. I doubt he is going to be handed a job without any competition, but I expect him to get an opportunity similar to what Ivory got. And I think he will do better with it than Ivory because he won't go down with a hamstring before the season even starts.
i hear you and i think his value is probably higher than some have it at. But you also have to look at the system and how good the line was when we was putting up such good #'s a couple years back. But if he gets back in the right system he should still have value. In dynasty leagues it could be a good time to buy if you can get him cheap.

I agree with Adam. I think that situation is how it is. Only thing I will add is I think he will be looking for a spot where he is the clear cut lead back and not sharing time again so if a team signs him and appears to be a team where no big time share is imminent, it will probably be just that.

A few months from now people will forget about how he only got me 5 points last week and people will be talking in terms of his young age, how he played through a big injury, etc and the outlook will be positive.

say he goes to Cleveland next year. where do you rank him?
I see him in Oakland. And looking damn good doing it. Around #12 in non ppr if that were the case - without considering other moves and rookies..

*I am not a Tate owner.

I believe he still leads the league in yards after contact per carry. He played very well early in the year, and has played very well in each of the past two years. I think when he hits free agency, teams will look at 2.5 years of strong play, and they'll look at 0.5 years of crappy play after breaking his ribs, and they'll take a chance on him anyway.

Like I said, all else being equal, it'd be better if Ben Tate was playing out of his freaking gourd right now... but in the end, I don't think his recent levels of suck are having a dramatic impact on what kind of action he's going to see on the open market.

say he goes to Cleveland next year. where do you rank him?
Assuming they don't draft anybody? I've got him at RB18 in my rankings right now, assuming a variety of possible landing spots. Cleveland would be one of the better ones that I'd expect, maybe enough to bump him up to RB15 or RB16.

Rotoworld:

Impending free agent Ben Tate (ribs, injured reserve) believes he's "probably" played his last snap for the Texans.
"But we'll see," Tate added more diplomatically. "You never know what will happen. New coaches come in, some different things could happen." The Texans owe Arian Foster $18.25 million through 2016, making it extremely unlikely Tate will be back. Tate's walk year went far from swimmingly, but he still managed 4.3 yards per carry on 181 totes, even as he played through a painful ribs issue. Teams will be cautious with Tate on the open market, but it's unlikely he'll be limited to one-year offers.

Source: ESPN.com
The Houston Chronicle believes impending free agent Ben Tate has played his last snap with the Texans.

Tate was placed on injured reserve Wednesday, leaving Dennis Johnson to start the final two games. It's his audition for the 2014 backup role. The Texans gave Arian Foster a five-year, $43.5 million contract before the 2012 season, making it highly unlikely they give Tate a competitive offer.

Dec 19 - 11:01 AM

I think he's looking at a contract around Michael Bush/Shonn Greene/S-Jax (Falcons)

I can see someone like Miami/Jax/Cleveland taking a look.

Agree with the above. I don't think he goes to a place where he is "locked in at a starter". He might be the "lead back in a committee" type of role.

I said a year ago I thought he was destined for San Fran. But the drafting of Lattimore really put a damper on that. I said recently that Cleveland might be it. But today, I am sitting here wondering if he OR Foster, depending on what decision is made, ends up in Atlanta.

I said a year ago I thought he was destined for San Fran. But the drafting of Lattimore really put a damper on that. I said recently that Cleveland might be it. But today, I am sitting here wondering if he OR Foster, depending on what decision is made, ends up in Atlanta.
Atlanta's said they want to bring back SJax

I would like for him to resemble Michael Turner going to Atlanta years ago.

A new team needs to commit to him and I'm not sure that he's the sure bet some think he is. Someone recently told me how he and Arian are friends, close etc. Foster is worn down and he does get opportunity in Houston. They'll surely offer him a backup salary to stay.

I think next year we're going to say how come (some team) didn't just sign Tate and he'll stay in Houston.

I have no doubt teams like TEN, Indy and Jax respect his game playing in the same division and all, but why leave to share with MJD, TRich, or Green?

Him getting hurt as a backup is concerning toward his durability as a starter.

I'm not sure Foster has many 350 carry seasons left in him. Houston really needs to consider paying him

A new team needs to commit to him and I'm not sure that he's the sure bet some think he is. Someone recently told me how he and Arian are friends, close etc. Foster is worn down and he does get opportunity in Houston. They'll surely offer him a backup salary to stay.

I think next year we're going to say how come (some team) didn't just sign Tate and he'll stay in Houston.
The only way he's returning to Houston is if they cut Foster and decide to pay him instead.

Key points from this article:http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/12/ben-tate-houston-texans-acupuncture/

At the beginning, Tate says he got into shouting matches with Foster, who went undrafted out of Tennessee in 2009 and was on a minimum contract.

“When I first got here he wouldn’t help me with none of the plays,” Tate says. “I was a second-rounder and he was undrafted, so he wasn’t really trying to help me. Despite all that, all the arguments, all the times I wanted to beat him up, we have become friends.”

Tate’s relationship with Johnson is different. He sees potential in the younger, smaller back from Arkansas. Tate says he tutors him on the playbook, but when it’s game time he’s not coming out, no matter what.

Do you want to be a Texan?

“That’s a tough question to answer. I can’t say, ‘No, I don’t want to be here.’ But I can’t say I do want to be here, because they invested in Arian,” Tate says. “I feel as though I’m just as talented, I can do the same things he does, so where do I fit in?

“My time in this game is limited. I’m 25. I’m in my prime for the next three years. So I want to be somewhere where I can utilize that. I’ve said it before, I don’t work this hard to be anyone’s backup. That’s just not why I play this game.”

Rotoworld:

Browns GM Mike Lombardi was high on impending free agent Ben Tate when Tate came out of Auburn in 2010.

We have special insight into Lombardi's past thinking because he wrote for National Football Post before working at NFL Network, and eventually resurfacing in the NFL with Cleveland. Of Tate, Lombardi wrote "He has an ability to hit the hole with a burst and is a one-cut runner," going so far as to predict Tate would win 2010 Rookie of the Year. Lombardi also liked fellow impending free agent Anthony Dixon, whom he called a "good back ... who can run the power play effectively ... and has the ability to break tackles." The Browns need a running back.

Related: Browns, Anthony Dixon

Source: National Football Post

Users who are viewing this thread