What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ben Roethlisberger - initially didn't want Steelers QB Kenny Pickett to succeed (3 Viewers)

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Steelers are a "heck no" on benching Ben Roethlisberger. 

Fowler was echoing a report from colleague Adam Schefter. It is notable that the Steelers are only a "heck no" as opposed to "hell no" on benching their franchise player. As is often the case with aging franchise icons, Roethlisberger's health might end up making the Steelers' decision for them and sparing them the embarrassment of banishing him to the pine. Roethlisberger, who can truly barely move on the field, is dealing with hip and pectoral issues. Mason Rudolph should probably already be starting. 

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter 

Oct 7, 2021, 1:51 PM ET

Assuming Ben keeps playing at his current level and getting hit as much as he is, I'm guessing he'll retire.

I don't think they will go after Watson.  The asking price from Houston is way too high and his cap hit is too much.   They'll go in with Rudolph, Haskins and perhaps draft a QB.   IMO they need to fix the offensive line first.
Garoppolo would possibly be available. Bridgewater, Tyrod Taylor, Foles, Mariota, and Trubiski are all free agents. I would expect them to pick up one of these.

Garoppolo would possibly be available. Bridgewater, Tyrod Taylor, Foles, Mariota, and Trubiski are all free agents. I would expect them to pick up one of these.

I would be fine with Garoppolo as a stop gap measure behind an much improved o- line and having the offensive weapons the Steelers have and a healthy defense.   They may not be Super Bowl bound but they could be decent.

Some of the others, not so much

Offensive Player Rankings, Week 5: Could the Pittsburgh Steelers bench Ben Roethlisberger?

Excerpt:

"Good spaghetti sauce covers up bad noodles."

That's what my old Houston Texans offensive coordinator, Chris Palmer, used to tell me before games. The translation: Good quarterback play can mask offensive deficiencies. Unfortunately for the reeling Pittsburgh Steelers (1-3), they don't have good noodles or spaghetti sauce right now.

Let's start with the sauce, Ben Roethlisberger. The 18th-year veteran is more of a liability than an asset for Pittsburgh's offense right now. It's that simple. Through four games, the Steelers' offense ranks 28th in points, 27th in total yards, 16th in passing yards and dead last in rushing yards. Big Ben has registered some of his worst single-season marks ever in completion percentage (64.1), passing yards per attempt (6.1), TD-to-INT ratio (4:4) and passer rating (78.9). Several factors have led to his poor production, but the main one is he no longer brings a physical presence to the position. Roethlisberger has always been more of a reactionary quarterback than a pre-snap wiz, but immobility in the pocket has really hindered his play of late. He looks like he's going to fall over every time he has to move one or two steps off his intended dropback, and frankly, it's hard to watch. I always enjoyed watching Big Ben in his prime because, as a former NFL quarterback, I know how hard it is to shrug off defensive linemen and be almost untackleable in the pocket. But at age 39, Roethlisberger is clearly feeling the effects of Father Time. And Mike Tomlin says his quarterback is dealing with a hip issue, which could amplify a decline that's been ongoing for some time now.

During Pittsburgh's 11-0 start to the 2020 season, Big Ben completed 67.5 percent of his throws, while posting nice figures in TD-to-INT ratio (25:6) and passer rating (99.0). Coming off major elbow surgery, though, his arm strength was noticeably weakened. This appeared to catch up with him as the Steelers crumbled down the stretch -- and the struggles have carried over into the 2021 campaign. Over his last eight regular-season starts going back to last December, Roethlisberger's completion percentage (62.5), TD-to-INT ratio (12:8) and passer rating (80.6) have all plummeted. Most importantly, Pittsburgh has gone 2-6.

Of course, it's not all Ben's fault. Poor play from his supporting cast (the noodles) has accelerated Roethlisberger's deterioration in 2021. The offensive line is far from the dominant unit we're used to seeing in Pittsburgh, undermining the Steelers' efforts in the ground game and through the air. Meanwhile, after a splashy rookie campaign, wideout Chase Claypool is experiencing struggles similar to those JuJu Smith-Schuster encountered after Antonio Brown's departure: Opposing defenses are giving Claypool the attention of a No. 1 receiver, and nobody -- JuJu included -- is doing enough to take pressure off the second-year pro. Adding injury to insult, Claypool just missed a game with a balky hammy.

So, where do Roethlisberger and the last-place Steelers go from here? In the next two weeks, Pittsburgh hosts the Broncos (3-1) and Seahawks (2-2) at Heinz Field, with the latter game being a Sunday Night Football affair. Then comes the Week 7 bye, followed by a road trip to Cleveland. If the aging QB doesn't play better and the Steelers continue to struggle, that bye week could be a dramatic one in the Steel City, with Tomlin forced to consider doing what was long unthinkable: benching Ben Roethlisberger.

Yes, I know Tomlin remains squarely in his quarterback's corner at the moment. Asked Tuesday if he still believes Roethlisberger is the best option for Pittsburgh's offense, the Steelers coach didn't stutter: "Absolutely. What he does and what he's done makes me really comfortable in saying that." But what if what he doescontinues to pale in comparison to what he's done? You can't just will a late-career renaissance into existence. And you can't go into that Browns game -- facing thatdefense -- with a quarterback who significantly limits your offense.

If the Steelers do eventually choose to make a quarterback change, they have two options: Mason Rudolph and Dwayne Haskins. Rudolph, a fourth-year pro who is 5-4 as a starter, has a big arm and looked improved during his preseason action in August. As the current QB2, there's a real chance he gets another opportunity to start. On the other hand, Haskins also showed promise in the preseason, managing the offense and making the right reads. The former No. 15 overall pick obviously wore out his welcome quickly in Washington, getting cut before the conclusion of his second season with the franchise. But the Steelers signed Haskins in January and took a liking to him. I had a conversation with Pittsburgh QBs coach Mike Sullivan this offseason, and he mentioned Haskins without me bringing him up, saying he thinks the former Ohio State star can be a starter again in the NFL. Neither backup has an established track record of excellence, obviously, but both at least offer the potential to help create more offense and play above the Xs and Os. That's a possibility that Roethlisberger, closing in on his 40th birthday, just no longer provides.

Coming into the season, it felt like 2021 could be Big Ben's swan song. Now, it seems like he might not even make it through the bye.

I would be fine with Garoppolo as a stop gap measure behind an much improved o- line and having the offensive weapons the Steelers have and a healthy defense.   They may not be Super Bowl bound but they could be decent.

Some of the others, not so much
I think the others would be solid stop gap measures. Garoppolo is a decent starting quarterback, I'd be cool with him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ben Roethlisberger completed 29-of-40 passes for 229 yards and a touchdown in the Steelers' Week 6 win over the Seahawks. 

Big Ben only averaged 5.7 yards per attempt, but that was enough to get it done on a night in which only 43 points were scored. Roethlisberger is nowhere near viable in most leagues right now, but he has been able to sustain Diontae Johnson, Najee Harris, and Chase Claypool, so he's doing his job for fantasy purposes. The Steelers have a bye in Week 7 before facing off against a tough Browns front in Week 8.

Oct 18, 2021, 12:57 AM ET

Ben Roethlisberger has completed 25.8 percent of his pass attempts of 20 yards or more, the second lowest rate in the league. 

Only Jared Goff has been worse on downfield throws through Week 8. Roethlisberger's long-deteriorating arm strength has produced some wobbly, inaccurate floaters on many of his 31 downfield throws this season in a Pittsburgh offense predicated on quick, short passes to Najee Harris, Diontae Johnson, and the team's tight ends. Roethlisberger's downfield passing woes have had an outsized impact on Chase Claypool, he has caught just three of 10 targets over 20 yards downfield for 99 yards and a touchdown through seven games. On Sunday against Cleveland, Claypool saw just one deep shot from Roethlisberger. The second-year wideout's fantasy ceiling is firmly capped with the aged veteran under center. Claypool profiles as a decent WR3 option in Week 9 against Chicago. 

RELATED: 

Chase Claypool

Nov 2, 2021, 8:23 AM ET

Ben Roethlisberger completed 21-of-30 passes for 205 yards and two touchdowns in the Steelers' 29-27, Week 9 win over the Bears.

Big Ben's 205 yards were his fewest since Week 1, but his 6.8 yards per attempt falls right in line with his season average. He just doesn't have any juice left in the arm and floats passes out there at 39 years old. Both of Ben's touchdowns were red-zone hookups with TE Pat Freiermuth from four and 10 yards out. Big Ben gets a tasty Week 10 home date with the Lions. It could be potential ceiling spot for this Pittsburgh offense as a whole.

Nov 9, 2021, 12:07 AM ET

Ben Roethlisberger told reporters that he's been dealing with a shoulder injury since September.

"It happened like Oakland or Cincinnati or something. We just don’t always tell y’all everything,” Roethlisberger said with a self-satisfied chuckle. The Steelers played Cincinnati in Week 3, after hosting the Raiders. So while the shoulder injury only popped up on the injury report last week, Roethlisberger has been dealing with it since September. Although technically, the Steelers last played Oakland in 2018, which would explain Roethlisberger's play over the last few seasons. Roethlisberger played through the injury against the Seahawks, and the Lions' defense should serve as a soothing balm for his ailing shoulder in Week 10.

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter

Nov 10, 2021, 11:12 AM ET

Ben Roethlisberger (pectoral/shoulder) missed his second straight practice on Thursday. 

Roethlisberger spoke to the media on Wednesday and there doesn't appear to be any concern about him not playing this week yet, but the injury reports are speaking another language. Make time for the Steelers Friday injury report. Roethlisberger isn't appealing in many matchups this year, but would be a mid-range QB2 against the Lions if healthy. 

Nov 11, 2021, 3:37 PM ET

It is typical for Ben to skip Wednesday practice, Thursdays not so much.    My guess it is because the Steelers played on MNF.

It will be a story if he doesn't practice tomorrow.

Steelers placed Ben Roethlisberger on the reserve/COVID list.

Roethlisberger recently claimed he's vaccinated, meaning he'll likely return for Week 11 against the Chargers. Mason Rudolph only completed 56.4% of his passes the last time he took the field in Pittsburgh's meaningless regular-season finale against the Browns last year but it's hard to argue he's a significant downgrade from Roethlisberger given how the latter has performed through eight games. Managers should assume Najee Harris will handle all that he can chew against Detroit's front-seven on Sunday.

SOURCE: Steelers PR on Twitter

Nov 13, 2021, 7:51 PM ET

Ben Roethlisberger (COVID-19) could miss the Steelers' Week 11 game against the Chargers. 

Pittsburgh head coach Mike Tomlin said Roethlisberger is dealing with COVID-19 symptoms after missing the team's Week 10 tie with the bottom-feeding Lions. Roethlisberger, who is vaccinated, will need to test negative for the virus twice, 24 hours apart, and display no COVID symptoms for 48 hours before returning to the team facility. Roethlisberger's best-case scenario would seem to be a late-week return, affording him a day or two of practice before the Steelers take on the Chargers. Mason Rudolph could draw another start after his subpar performance against Detroit, when he completed 30-of-50 passes for 242 yards, one touchdown, and one interception. The fantasy prospects for Dionate Johnson and Najee Harris don't change all that much with Rudolph under center. 

RELATED: 

Mason Rudolph

SOURCE: SI.com 

Nov 15, 2021, 10:18 AM ET

NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala said it "sounds like" Ben Roethlisberger (COVID-19) will play in Week 11 against the Chargers if he clears COVID protocols and "is physically fit enough to play."

The second qualifier leaves room for interpretation, but Mike Tomlin wasn't willing to say whether Roethlisberger will be able to suit up in Week 11. Mason Rudolph, terrible in his Week 10 start against Detroit, would draw another start against a much tougher opponent. Tomlin said the Steelers' offensive game plan doesn't change dramatically with Rudolph under center. That's good news for Najee Harris and Diontae Johnson. Neither Pittsburgh QB is a decent fantasy option against the Bolts. 

RELATED: 

Mason Rudolph

SOURCE: Aditi Kinkhabwala

Nov 16, 2021, 12:36 PM ET

Honestly, I thought Rudolph wasn't any worse than Roethlisberger had been, and he didn't have JuJu or Claypool to work with, so he was probably better than Big Ben would have been. Not his fault the defense suddenly forgot how to tackle. 

Unless Ben is 100%(not just fit enough to play) I'd go with Rudolph if I were Pittsburgh. 

Speaking Thursday, Steelers OC Matt Canada told reporters that Ben Roethlisberger (reserve/COVID-19 list) is preparing like he's going to play. 

The drumbeat around Pittsburgh is that there's little doubt that Roethlisberger will play if he clears COVID protocols, but he's now been on the list for five days and still needs two negative tests to return. Roethlisberger may be running out of days to keep Mason Rudolph off the field. If Rudolph plays it will be a healthy bump for the Chargers D/ST. 

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter

Nov 18, 2021, 2:25 PM ET

Ben Roethlisberger (reserve/COVID-19) has been cleared to play in Week 11 against the Chargers.

Roethlisberger won't travel with the team but has been activated ahead of Sunday night. This wasn't a lock with Roethlisberger testing positive last Saturday and having eight days to get cleared. Roethlisberger took part in virtual meetings this week despite not practicing and is expected to start. The Steelers’ offense struggled with Mason Rudolph under center in Week 10's tie with the Lions. Roethlisberger's return likely means fewer carries for Najee Harris but upgrades Diontae Johnson's matchup.

SOURCE: steelers.com

Nov 20, 2021, 9:44 AM ET

Ben Roethlisberger completed 28-of-44 passes for 273 yards and three touchdowns in the Steelers' Week 11 loss to the Chargers.

Roethlisberger's return was a welcome sight for Steelers fans who had to watch Mason Rudolph play football last week. Although Pittsburgh couldn't close it out in the end, Roethlisberger mounted an admirable second-half comeback and threw three touchdowns. His best pass came on a beautiful goal-line fade to Diontae Johnson, who made a spectacular play in his own right to reel it in and stay inbounds. Despite the strong performance in primetime, fantasy managers can likely do better than Roethlisberger for Week 12 and beyond.

Nov 22, 2021, 12:11 AM ET

Ben Roethlisberger completed 24-of-41 attempts for 263 yards, one touchdown, and two interceptions in the Steelers' Week 12 loss to the Bengals. 

Roethlisberger saved his statistical day -- and that of his pass catchers -- with a fourth quarter drive while down 38 points to Cincy. He seemed to be out of sync with Chase Claypool throughout the game, resulting in a first quarter interception on a pass to the sideline while Claypool streaked downfield. Roethlisberger's weak throwing arm wreaked havoc at the end of the first half when he tried a late throw to the boundary that was picked off for a touchdown, essentially ending the game in the second quarter. Roethlisberger was sacked thrice and pressured on nearly every drop back. Fantasy managers should treat him as a mid-range QB2 next week against the pass-funnel Ravens defense.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Ben Roethlisberger (shoulder) did not practice Wednesday. 

Roethlisberger has been limited with his shoulder injury for a while. Perhaps this DNP means he has suffered a setback, but it is more likely he is just getting some rest. If healthy, Roethlisberger will be nothing more than a QB2 this week against the Ravens. 

Dec 1, 2021, 3:58 PM ET

Roethlisberger has been limited with his shoulder injury for a while. Perhaps this DNP means he has suffered a setback, but it is more likely he is just getting some rest.   If healthy, Roethlisberger will be nothing more than a QB2 this week against the Ravens. 
Ben never practices on Wednesday so this is nothing unusual.

Aside from a few flashes (LA Chargers game) Ben hasn't been very good this year, fantasy or reality.   However the Steelers defense is putrid right now, especially without Watt, and the Steelers running game is non-existent.   They're likely going to be playing from behind so Ben should be throwing the ball a lot.

Of course all of that was true and you saw how that worked out...

Ben never practices on Wednesday so this is nothing unusual.

Aside from a few flashes (LA Chargers game) Ben hasn't been very good this year, fantasy or reality.   However the Steelers defense is putrid right now, especially without Watt, and the Steelers running game is non-existent.   They're likely going to be playing from behind so Ben should be throwing the ball a lot.

Of course all of that was true and you saw how that worked out...
I was really hoping the changes Tomlin promised would be firing Canada, but if not maybe he can force him to start letting Ben do things he does well. 

I'm struggling to find what Ben does well at this point.
Gets the ball out fast, does not make a lot of mistakes.

I'd put this another way and say the only thing he does not do at least ok is move. That's a huge thing combined with a poor OL but I see a guy who can still quickly process and make throws but when things break down and he has no quick release guy to throw it to then it's ugly but that's far from just being on him.

I continue to believe in light of his contract and his restructure bringing him back was the right move. 

I'd put this another way and say the only thing he does not do at least ok is move. That's a huge thing combined with a poor OL but I see a guy who can still quickly process and make throws but when things break down and he has no quick release guy to throw it to then it's ugly but that's far from just being on him.

I continue to believe in light of his contract and his restructure bringing him back was the right move. 

I agreed with it at the time but I also thought the Steelers had a top 5 defense.   Unfortunately the team has been besieged with injuries, especially on defense but also on the offensive line which we knew as a work in progress and now is just in shambles.

Had the defense stayed relatively healthy and the offensive line stayed together and improved even a little the Steelers would be sitting pretty good in this AFC.   

However as they say "If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, blah blah blah".  Knowing what we know now it would have been better to part ways with Ben and eat his contract this year.

He's not worse than Mason Rudolph, so in that sense, I agree it was right to bring him back.  His arm is a shadow of what it used to be though.

Ben also can't throw deep anymore.   Chase Claypool's numbers have suffered as a result of Ben's declining arm strength.

Ben also can't throw deep anymore.   Chase Claypool's numbers have suffered as a result of Ben's declining arm strength.
He's old so I'm sure he's lost some arm talent but I don't agree he can't throw it deep anymore and have seen him toss several nice deep throws this year.

Now what I would say he is he does not throw it deep consistently but I don't think his arm is the primary culprit. IMO it's a combo of lack of lower body moblity and poor OL that does not allow him to be comfortable or step up when needed and he just can't make those throws anymore on just arm talent, needs to be able to set himself in the pocket and that's been an issue.

I was thinking of this last week when he thought he had a lane and got taken down that I legit can't think of the last time I saw a QB with less mobility. I was thinking of old guys on last year or two and struggled to remember someone who moved as poorly as Ben does now. Combine that with a bad OL and it's a terrible formula that I just personally think from what I've seen is the issue, not his arm. But I guess it does not really matter, the result is the result.

He's not worse than Mason Rudolph, so in that sense, I agree it was right to bring him back.  His arm is a shadow of what it used to be though.
Meant to quote you as well on my last response but in the post up I say how I feel about this.

Ben Roethlisberger (shoulder) practiced in full Thursday.

Roethlisberger put up a DNP on Wednesday, but it is now clear that was just a rest day for the banged-up veteran. He will likely continue to miss practice time the rest of the way, but barring a setback, Roethlisberger should be out there on Sundays to deliver underwhelming performances and QB2 numbers. 

Dec 2, 2021, 6:44 PM ET

As underwhelming as Roethlisberger has been for most of the season, the running game sucks and the defense is awful which leaves Big Ben as the Steelers only hope of beating the Ravens this week.   

As underwhelming as Roethlisberger has been for most of the season, the running game sucks and the defense is awful which leaves Big Ben as the Steelers only hope of beating the Ravens this week.   
I never thought in a million years I would have to start Roethlisberger, but here I am.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Ben Roethlisberger "privately has told former teammates and some within the organization that he expects this to be his final season playing quarterback for the Steelers."

The rapidly declining Roethlisberger was never likely to play another season for the Steelers after he took a pay cut to come back for one more run at a championship this year. Schefter's reporting insinuates Roethlisberger might not retire but seek to continue his NFL career with another (quarterback-needy) franchise. With zero mobility and fledgling arm strength at 39 years old, Roethlisberger would do well to call it a career, even if the Steelers make the postseason. His last home game could be January 3 against the Browns. Roethlisberger's heir apparent likely isn't on the Steelers roster today. 

-Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Ben Roethlisberger completed 28-of-40 passes for 308 yards, three touchdowns, and one interception in Pittsburgh's 38-26 Week 14 loss to Minnesota.

This was a drastic turnaround from a ghastly half. Roethlisberger was sacked four times and completed just four passes in the final 17 minutes of the first half. Roethlisberger was very irritated on the sidelines, even letting Mike Tomlin hear some of it as the half ended. The Steelers finally got going as Roethlisberger went deep to the sidelines against Minnesota's corners, resulting in a couple of simultaneous catch rulings by officials. Roethlisberger had the ball at the Vikings 12 and a chance to move Pittsburgh within two with three seconds left in the game, but Pat Freiermuth couldn't hold on to a tightly-contested catch over the middle. Pittsburgh has the Titans in Week 15, Roethlisberger will again probably be down in QB2 territory.  

Dec 10, 2021, 12:22 AM ET

He performed heroics last night (just like against the Chargers).  My goodness this is a 2 win team next year with Rudolph at the helm.  

He performed heroics last night (just like against the Chargers).  My goodness this is a 2 win team next year with Rudolph at the helm.  

Steelers need to use the draft and spend heavily in FA to fix both lines and ILB.   Until they do that it don't even think about QB.

Users who are viewing this thread