What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ben Roethlisberger - initially didn't want Steelers QB Kenny Pickett to succeed (1 Viewer)

Assuming this is accurate, a "svelt" Ben with a suspect o-line doesn't fit his previous MO. He extended plays by being hard to take down. Can't imagine he's adding "mobile" to his repertoire this late in the game...
Past tense,  he did a 180 late career change which he's not given nearly enough credit for and transformed himself into a QB who I think led the league in getting rid of the ball the fastest.

BEN ROETHLISBERGER QB, PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Steelers offensive coordinator Matt Canada said he anticipates "growing pains" with the team's new offensive linemen. 

The Steelers have had a complete turnover of their offensive line since the end of last season. They released David DeCastro, Ramon Foster and Maurkice Pouncey retired, Marcus Gilbert was traded, and Alejandro Villanueva became a Raven after Pittsburgh didn't re-sign him. The team will head into the 2021 season with a far younger, more inexperienced offensive line tasked to protect 39-year-old Ben Roethlisberger and open running lanes for rookie RB Najee Harris. “There will be some growing pains as we all know,” said Canada, entering his first year as OC. With Roethlisberger under constant duress, the Steelers were forced into a quick-pass offense through much of the 2020 season. The statuesque Roethlisberger -- whose throwing arm reportedly feels better than it did at any point in 2020 -- will need solid protection if he's going to deliver longer passes to Diontae Johnson, Chase Claypool, JuJu Smith-Schuster, and the rest of the team's pass catchers. 

RELATED: 

Najee Harris

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jul 21, 2021, 8:34 AM ET

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking Tuesday, Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said the team is not thinking beyond 2021 with 39-year-old starting QB Ben Roethlisberger. 

“2021 is all we’re worried about with Ben," Colbert said. "Beyond that, none of us know.” Colbert is just stating the obvious after the team required Roethlisberger to take a pay cut following his shaky 2021. The Steelers seem to be pinning their hopes on Roethlisberger regaining some arm strength as he is another year removed from extensive elbow surgery. That would not be impossible — even for a 39-year-old, the human body does get better — but a major change compared to 2020 is highly unlikely. 

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter 

Jul 27, 2021, 1:36 PM ET

Ben Roethlisberger expressed displeasure with offensive coordinator Matt Canada after Pittsburgh's Week 2 loss to the Raiders. 

When asked about formations used in the Steelers' loss, Roethlisberger said, “You’ll have to ask Coach Canada that. That’s what he’s calling, what we’re going with. We got some really good football players that you want to get on the football field. So, if you don’t have them out there, they’re sitting on the bench doing nothing.” Reporters asked Roethlisberger about no-huddle usage this season. “We don’t really have a no-huddle,” he said. Roethlisberger thrived in the no-huddle offense during his most productive seasons, raising questions about Canada's handling of his veteran quarterback. The Steelers' offense looks as stale and predictable as ever, even as Canada was supposed to bring Pittsburgh's offense into the 21st century. Frustration will continue to mount unless the team's offensive line can improve and Roethlisberger can deliver more accurate, on-time throws to his excellent wideouts. 

RELATED: 

Matt Canada

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Sep 20, 2021, 9:40 AM ET

I am with Ben. The offense has often struggled until we go no huddle and then moves up and down the field with ease. The Steelers should never huddle and Ben should call a lot of the plays.

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said Ben Roethlisberger has a pectoral injury. 

Roethlisberger took a couple mammoth shots in the team's Week 2 loss to Vegas. Tomlin said the pec issue will affect Roethlisberger's practice participation head of Pittsburgh's Week 3 matchup against the Bengals. "We'd better be ready to be adjustable," Tomlin said. The always-dramatic Roethlisberger, 39, might miss practice all week and could still suit up against the Bengals. If he can't, Mason Rudolph would get the start. It's hard to say Rudolph would be a marked downgrade for the Steelers' struggling offense. 

RELATED: 

Mason Rudolph

SOURCE: Alex Kozora on Twitter 

Sep 21, 2021, 12:10 PM ET

Roethlisberger should look in the mirror. The biggest problem in the offense is him.

Ben hasn't been great but the biggest problem is the offensive line by a wide margin. Can't run block and pass protection has not been good.  The Raiders only had 2 sacks last week but Ben was under duress the entire game and took a lot of shots.

He didn't injure his Pec on his own.

Ben hasn't been great but the biggest problem is the offensive line by a wide margin. Can't run block and pass protection has not been good.  The Raiders only had 2 sacks last week but Ben was under duress the entire game and took a lot of shots.

He didn't injure his Pec on his own.

I think it happened with a brutal chest shot he took in the series right after the play where the Steelers DE rolled into Carr's ankle way after the throw. No call by the refs on the Carr incident, but the Raiders DL seemed extra fierce on the subsequent series, landing some of the biggest hits on Ben that day.

He's at that age where he needs outstanding pass protection. And just isn't getting that. 

I think of the receivers, this likely benefits Smith-Schuster the most with the shorter routes. And Harris for the short routes. 

Lookin' old... lookin' fragile... completely immobile (can't even slide around the pocket)... probably should have retired... and I probably wrote this same thing every year for the last 3-4 years. 😆

Joe Bryant said:
He's at that age where he needs outstanding pass protection. And just isn't getting that. 

I think of the receivers, this likely benefits Smith-Schuster the most with the shorter routes. And Harris for the short routes. 
Hit 10 times last week and several of them were brutal.

Joe Bryant said:

exactly what I was thinking, Joe.

then again, DD told me to draft both in my main league (😉) so I might just be trying to tell myself a story.

That's my take too. I don't think Roethlisberger is the problem. They have to get better O-Line play. 

The odds of that happening, dramatically, over ROS are pretty slim.

The O-line is a problem, no doubt... but at this point Ben simply cannot avoid anything. He has no lateral movement... no sliding around the pocket... and probably hearing footsteps due to a combination of all the above. He's cooked... has been cooked.

Ben Roethlisberger (pectoral) may still play on Sunday but his throws are causing pain.

Roethlisberger injured his pectoral in Week 2. He seems likely to suit up this week, but his status will need to be monitored. If the 39 year-old quarterback does play, fantasy managers should expect even less deep passing this week, despite the fact that Roethlisberger has already attempted less deep throws than Jared Goff this season. Facing the Bengals Sunday, the Steelers offense is shaping up to be a painful experience for everyone.

SOURCE: Gerry Dulac on Twitter

Sep 22, 2021, 9:54 AM ET

The odds of that happening, dramatically, over ROS are pretty slim.

The O-line is a problem, no doubt... but at this point Ben simply cannot avoid anything. He has no lateral movement... no sliding around the pocket... and probably hearing footsteps due to a combination of all the above. He's cooked... has been cooked.
This certainly doesn't match the film from last week 

Ben Roethlisberger (pectoral) was upgraded to "limited" in Thursday's practice

Roethlisberger threw a bit in front of reporters today after missing Wednesday's practice. All signs seem to point to him trying to gut it out on Sunday against the Bengals. Roethlisberger is a shaky fantasy option even when healthy, and at his advanced age we don't see healthy all that often. He'll be a QB2 option at best, even with a fairly decent matchup against Cincinnati. 

Sep 23, 2021, 4:19 PM ET

That's my take too. I don't think Roethlisberger is the problem. They have to get better O-Line play. 
Sure.  Probably.

Has he fixed the problem yet where he has a “tell” that lets the defense know if it is a run play or a pass play?   Last I read, that was still an issue…..which could certainly hamper the O-line.

Sure.  Probably.

Has he fixed the problem yet where he has a “tell” that lets the defense know if it is a run play or a pass play?   Last I read, that was still an issue…..which could certainly hamper the O-line.
I do t know but if he is smart he could use it to his advantage 

Ben Roethlisberger completed 38-of-58 passes for 318 yards, one touchdown, and two interceptions in the Steelers' 24-10, Week 3 loss to the Bengals.

Roethlisberger's counting stats mask how atrocious he looked and it shows in his efficiency numbers. He averaged just 5.5 yards per attempt and was unable to dial in his deep ball, overthrowing James Washington early in the game for what could have been a long touchdown. He also opted to check down to Najee Harris on a fourth-down near the end of the game when he needed 10 yards for a first down. The Steelers entered the week without Diontae Johnson, lost JuJu Smith-Schuster early in the game, and were without Chase Claypool for a handful of plays as well. While those losses are difficult to overcome, Roethlisberger didn't look capable of connecting with them for big plays even if they were healthy. The passing volume may prop up Roethlisberger from a fantasy perspective but his days of producing ceiling weeks appear to be gone. He should only be rostered in 2QB and Superflex formats.

BEN ROETHLISBERGER QB, PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Steelers offensive coordinator Matt Canada said the team will "stick with what we're doing" headed into their Week 4 game against the Packers. 

Canada, under siege in his first year as Pittsburgh's OC, conceded that sticking to what the offense is doing is "not the sexy answer but we believe we're on the right track." Ben Roethlisberger has somehow looked more washed up than he did in 2020 and Pittsburgh's offense is among the worst, least efficient units in the league through three weeks. The Steelers have the fifth fewest points in the NFL and are dead last in rushing yards after using their first round draft pick on Najee Harris. Roethlisberger's 6.16 yards per attempt is the NFL's eighth lowest. There's little hope the Steelers can turn it around this year. They're much closer to a total rebuild than a Super Bowl run. Harris and Diontae Johnson should be able to keep their fantasy value intact due to pass volume in a lost season. 

RELATED: 

Najee Harris

, Diontae Johnson

, Chase Claypool

, JuJu Smith-Schuster

SOURCE: NFL.com 

Oct 1, 2021, 9:51 AM ET

Ben's done (has been done... but even Stevie Wonder can see it now).

Steelers are done.

And if Tomlin is leaving his wagon hitched to this spent mayfly... he might be done too.

Use the rest of the season to let Haskins sink or swim.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anybody as washed as this man is. They gotta get him outta there. 

Hi first TD pass yesterday was a thing of beauty.  He then proceeded to either overthrow or throw behind his receivers the rest of the afternoon.

I don't know if Rudolph or Haskins would be an improvement but I don't think they could be any worse.  If the Steelers have any hope to get back into the race they need to make a change.

Heard bagpipes playing Amazing Grace in the background while Ben was on the field. Was that just my imagination?

Hi first TD pass yesterday was a thing of beauty.  He then proceeded to either overthrow or throw behind his receivers the rest of the afternoon.

I don't know if Rudolph or Haskins would be an improvement but I don't think they could be any worse.  If the Steelers have any hope to get back into the race they need to make a change.

Not about that anymore. Ben is shot (was shot in 2020... came back to cash a big check)... no sense in playing Rudolph (he is a back-up QB - at best). May as well spend this time finding out if Haskins can develop, or if its a completely new search for a QB.

Tomlin''s biggest challenge will be creating a graceful exit for Big Ben.

Looking at his contract history, it seems likely the problem is the 2 year $68m deal he signed in 2019. He had a 4 year deal that ran through 2019 that looks reasonable, then threw for over 5,000 yards in 2018 (not that it was an MVP year or anything, but he threw a ton of passes for crazy stats). So they had a decision to make with Ben being 36 years old, and decided to  stick with him and extend his contract for $34m per year, pro-rated out with a few dead years.  But all that mortgaging meant his cap hit was going to be over $40m this season.  They pretty much had to bring him back on a restructured deal. His cap is now about $25m this year and another $10m of dead cap money next season.  I assume he'll go quietly because they obviously treated him right.  At least they didn't draft his replacement or begin preparing for the future while he was still on the roster - a big no-no for a guy who won a few Lombardis and has been the face of the franchise for so long.

Looking at his contract history, it seems likely the problem is the 2 year $68m deal he signed in 2019. He had a 4 year deal that ran through 2019 that looks reasonable, then threw for over 5,000 yards in 2018 (not that it was an MVP year or anything, but he threw a ton of passes for crazy stats). So they had a decision to make with Ben being 36 years old, and decided to  stick with him and extend his contract for $34m per year, pro-rated out with a few dead years.  But all that mortgaging meant his cap hit was going to be over $40m this season.  They pretty much had to bring him back on a restructured deal. His cap is now about $25m this year and another $10m of dead cap money next season.  I assume he'll go quietly because they obviously treated him right.  At least they didn't draft his replacement or begin preparing for the future while he was still on the roster - a big no-no for a guy who won a few Lombardis and has been the face of the franchise for so long.
That is some A1 poor management back in 2019 imo.  Even a casual fan could see the demise.  I can't even...ugh.

They should put there money where their mouth is.  Ben is benched - don't like it - have a seat over there.

Start Mason - he'll make it a game or 2 - then get Haskins 3-4 games before the season is over.  You'll at least have a full view of what they can and cannot do which helps in drafting/free agency etc.  What I can't watch is Claypool, DJ, Najee and Friermuth getting hammered chasing butterflies.

Not about that anymore. Ben is shot (was shot in 2020... came back to cash a big check)... no sense in playing Rudolph (he is a back-up QB - at best). May as well spend this time finding out if Haskins can develop, or if its a completely new search for a QB.

You and I may believe that but I can assure you the Steelers don't.   

The Steelers (or at least those that matter in the organization) still believe that Ben gives them the best chance of winning and until that changes they're going to start him.   They don't care about seeing what Rudolph or Haskins can do or tanking the season to get a better draft pick or hurting anyone's feelings.   They're only concerned about trying to win the next game and at this point they think Ben is the best QB to do that.

Again you and I may disagree with that assessment but that is the way it is.

You and I may believe that but I can assure you the Steelers don't.   

The Steelers (or at least those that matter in the organization) still believe that Ben gives them the best chance of winning and until that changes they're going to start him.   They don't care about seeing what Rudolph or Haskins can do or tanking the season to get a better draft pick or hurting anyone's feelings.   They're only concerned about trying to win the next game and at this point they think Ben is the best QB to do that.

Again you and I may disagree with that assessment but that is the way it is.

Fully agree with you. I don't agree with the overall approach (no immediate, or long term good will come from this), but do believe this is what will happen... watch a withering Roethlisberger flounder his way to a 4-5 win finish and call it a career.

Nailed it.  It is time to assess Haskins and get him some on the job training.  

They should go after Watson for next season if he can get cleared of his troubles, then cut Ben.

Assuming Ben keeps playing at his current level and getting hit as much as he is, I'm guessing he'll retire.

I don't think they will go after Watson.  The asking price from Houston is way too high and his cap hit is too much.   They'll go in with Rudolph, Haskins and perhaps draft a QB.   IMO they need to fix the offensive line first.

Assuming Ben keeps playing at his current level and getting hit as much as he is, I'm guessing he'll retire.

I don't think they will go after Watson.  The asking price from Houston is way too high and his cap hit is too much.   They'll go in with Rudolph, Haskins and perhaps draft a QB.   IMO they need to fix the offensive line first.
Four years late for this take. 

Users who are viewing this thread