What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Back in China again - ask me anything (3 Viewers)

Ever read Mr. China?

Mr. China tells the rollicking story of a young man who goes to China with the misguided notion that he will help bring the Chinese into the modern world, only to be schooled by the most resourceful and creative operators he would ever meet. Part memoir, part parable, Mr. China is one man's coming-of-age story where he learns to respect and admire the nation he sought to conquer.
is that some sort of book? I don't need no book learning.

How's the beer?
up until today, the beer has been limited to local domestic light lager (not always cold). it tastes like MGD when warm, but not terrible when cold.

Tonight we went to Qingdao city - the old part of town, allegedly near the Tsingtao brewery. We had actual beer from the tap, and it wasn't bad at all. They had an amber something that was nice - a little nutty but not in a bad way. We had a dark beer that I think was a coconut porter, but can't be sure. Both were pretty damn good - best beers I've ever had in Asia.
:thumbup:

moleculo said:
Ditkaless Wonders said:
Will you bring me back a female Olympic ice dancer or synchronized diver. They have so many they are just going to waste, and I have need of one.
sure. meet me for delivery at baggage claim carousel 3 in Charlotte next Wednesday night.
I'll be there. And thanks.

Do all Chinese made cars look like warped-through-a-looking-glass ripoffs of cars from other countries?

What is the hottest thing you have eaten?

Sorry, no funny schtick here... :(

I really enjoy these kinds of threads. I dig business travel and learning about other places. Unfortunately I just get to go to places like Phoenix, Santa Maria, CA and Vero Beach FL. :gang1:

:coffee: so, interesting read...

Ever drive by any rivers or lakes? Are people fishing? Does the water look contaminated or colored weird?

Any military presence that you've seen?

Despite the poverty is there still lots of cell phone use?

Anything in your travels there strike you as an entrepreneurial opportunity? A problem that needs a solution?

Ever drive by any rivers or lakes? Are people fishing? Does the water look contaminated or colored weird?

haven't noticed anything odd about the color of the water. We went by the beach - seemed to be ok :shrug:

Any military presence that you've seen?

nope

Despite the poverty is there still lots of cell phone use?

I think so. I don't really spend any time in the rural area outside of the factory - we mostly just drive thru. In the city, it's far from poor.

Anything in your travels there strike you as an entrepreneurial opportunity? A problem that needs a solution?

they could use more boob jobs, I think.

Slacker, get up and take questions!

What are you doing for the weekend?
 today (Saturday), we visited two suppliers. The second one was the downtown office of the first one out in the sticks. They gave us parting gifts (as seems to be the custom) - RC helicopters. I guess that's something that these guys also manufacture, so that's pretty cool.

After that, we got on a plane and headed to Shanghai, which is where I am right now.

tomorrow, I don't think we have anything planned. I have a friend MMA fighting Saturday night (or, Sunday AM for me) in Greensboro - I'm planning on watching that via https://www.periscope.tv/. Hopefully we can find some football on TV. I also need to find some souvenirs for my kids.

just went out shopping for some souvenirs for my kids. Got each of them those little cat statues that wave their paws. Also picked up a watch for myself, and wouldn't you know it, they had authentic Von Miller jerseys too - negotiated down to <$25.

Have you seen any huge super-fireball explosions from your window?

Thanks for writing about your trip, it's interesting reading.

Have you seen any huge super-fireball explosions from your window?

Thanks for writing about your trip, it's interesting reading.
I have not, but I'll keep an eye open.

Thanks, it's been fun. This is actually a pretty good outlet for me to document what I do/see. I know that trips like this, while not unheard of in my industry, are pretty rare for most folks so I'm happy to share .

also, if anyone cares, my friend won her fight midway through the 2nd with a Von Flue choke. I couldn't be happier for her.

Thanks for sharing. Good read. When is your next trip back?
no idea. I actually don't travel very often. I traveled to Germany in April, but outside of that, the last time I went anywhere notable was 2012 (Shanghai, Qingdao, Chingdu, Hong Kong). Before that, I went to Singapore a couple of times in the early 00's.

I actually don't mind traveling, and wouldn't mind doing it a little more. it sucks being away from the wife and the kids and home, but it is fun seeing different cultures and trying to understand how things work.

Well, I'm back. Sitting in Detroit airport, ready for the final leap that takes me home. Been gone just over a week but feels waaay longer than that.

Today's flight left at 4:30 PM China time, so I worked a 1/2 day this morning, hopped on a 14 hr flight. 2 hour layover in DET, 2 hour flight to Charlotte. I tried not to sleep on that flight so I can sleep at home and get un-jetlagged as fast as possible. Basically, I've been up since 6:30PM yesterday.

Now that you are back can we still ask you questions?

What is your go to order at Bojangles?

Which is the real Carolina, UNC or USC?

How hot were the women walking around CLT?

Have you ever sat in one of those rocking chairs?

headed back to China tomorrow morning.  I will be there all week, returning to Charlotte next Saturday.  For those keeping score at home, I am with a different company now than previous. 

for this trip, I am working with an OEM who is designing and manufacturing a product for us, which isn't something I'm all that comfortable with.  Basically, they do the design, send it to me, I tell them what's wrong and what needs to be fixed, repeat.  This trip is to review the first prototype and for me to explain on greater detail what they need to fix for next time.

I will be flying into Hong Kong.  I will spend one night there, and then taking a ferry to Zhongshan.  I will spend 3 days in Zhongshan, returning to Hong Kong Thursday night and flying home on Friday.  I'll be back in Charlotte early Saturday.   I specifically timed my flights to be free Friday morning (Thursday night here) so I have a shot at watching Broncos/Panthers.  I will be observing Labor day some time later this year.

I've been to Hong Kong before - it's a cool, but pricy, town. Think of what NYC would be like if it was 100% Chinatown.  I can do Hong Kong, but I'm not really looking forward to Zhongshan, which, from what I can tell, is a pure Chinese industrial town.  I probably won't leave the hotel except to go to the factory.

I will be sleeping and/or traveling for the next day or so, so don't be offended if I don't answer - I'm technically not there yet, just loading up the que.  I will be answering at maybe 7:00-9:00AM on Sunday (US Eastern).

headed back to China tomorrow morning.  I will be there all week, returning to Charlotte next Saturday.  For those keeping score at home, I am with a different company now than previous. 

for this trip, I am working with an OEM who is designing and manufacturing a product for us, which isn't something I'm all that comfortable with.  Basically, they do the design, send it to me, I tell them what's wrong and what needs to be fixed, repeat.  This trip is to review the first prototype and for me to explain on greater detail what they need to fix for next time.

I will be flying into Hong Kong.  I will spend one night there, and then taking a ferry to Zhongshan.  I will spend 3 days in Zhongshan, returning to Hong Kong Thursday night and flying home on Friday.  I'll be back in Charlotte early Saturday.   I specifically timed my flights to be free Friday morning (Thursday night here) so I have a shot at watching Broncos/Panthers.  I will be observing Labor day some time later this year.

I've been to Hong Kong before - it's a cool, but pricy, town. Think of what NYC would be like if it was 100% Chinatown.  I can do Hong Kong, but I'm not really looking forward to Zhongshan, which, from what I can tell, is a pure Chinese industrial town.  I probably won't leave the hotel except to go to the factory.

Please eat at a couple of restaurants outside of the hotel in Zhongshan.

Stay safe.  this is why I got out of your industry.  F the Broncos..  I hope they lose by twice as much on Friday morning.

Last edited by a moderator:

I just read today that there is a craft beer boom going on in China now, Specifically about Shenzhen , maybe there is something going on in Zhongshan as well

So report back on that

He's probably safer anywhere in mainland China than big cities in the US 
Maybe from assault or gun shot, but statistically speaking you're more likely to die driving here and even more likely there where they average 300 vehicular deaths per day.

Maybe from assault or gun shot, but statistically speaking you're more likely to die driving here and even more likely there where they average 300 vehicular deaths per day.
They have about four times the inhabitants of the US. The US is close to 100 vehicular deaths a day.

No cigar

Users who are viewing this thread