What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Back in China again - ask me anything (4 Viewers)

srsly, is your browser censored for certain sites, or can you surf to whatever you want there?
No New York Times, Google, Facebook, Youtube, Flipboard (wtf?) and I'm sure I'm missing some others. But that's what I remember not being able to access last month
If not for the language filter, you can bet your sweet ### that FBG would be banned too.

Did the fog roll in yet?

Last I was in Qingdao the drive from the airport was nothing like you describe, because it was so foggy yu couldn't see more than 50 ft in front of your car. Mind you, that didn't stop the driver from going at a pretty good clip...

I'm sure if you explore the city you'll find McDonalds

There's a pretty good English pub by the seaside that I liked. Apparently the hang out for the teams participating in the sailing events at the 2008 olympics.

London, Liverpool? It did have a Beatles vibe to it along with the maritime decor.
You sure it wasn't smog? American news make it sounds like it's China's national health epidemic.
Qingdao gets fog like you won't believe. And it rolls in from the ocean which is a big hint

PS China is big.
I'm sure it was fog, but I grew up in SoCal in the 80s when it was sometimes difficult to decipher between smog and fog.

I was more curious to find out if smog is a big problem in all major cities in China. Some American news portrays millions of Chinese city-dwellers walking around coughing and keeling over in the streets.
It's bad in most of the really large cities with lots of manufacturing. Like everything else reported on the news you only see the extreme cases.

I'd probably hesitate to take a job in Beijing, but probably not Shanghai

SIDA! said:
Seriously, how hot are the average women on the street?
depends on the street. i haven't had a chance to walk around a whole lot, but as one might expect there is much more talent in the big city than in the countryside.

msommer said:
Buttonhook said:
msommer said:
Buttonhook said:
msommer said:
Did the fog roll in yet?

Last I was in Qingdao the drive from the airport was nothing like you describe, because it was so foggy yu couldn't see more than 50 ft in front of your car. Mind you, that didn't stop the driver from going at a pretty good clip...

I'm sure if you explore the city you'll find McDonalds

There's a pretty good English pub by the seaside that I liked. Apparently the hang out for the teams participating in the sailing events at the 2008 olympics.

London, Liverpool? It did have a Beatles vibe to it along with the maritime decor.
You sure it wasn't smog? American news make it sounds like it's China's national health epidemic.
Qingdao gets fog like you won't believe. And it rolls in from the ocean which is a big hint

PS China is big.
I'm sure it was fog, but I grew up in SoCal in the 80s when it was sometimes difficult to decipher between smog and fog.

I was more curious to find out if smog is a big problem in all major cities in China. Some American news portrays millions of Chinese city-dwellers walking around coughing and keeling over in the streets.
It's bad in most of the really large cities with lots of manufacturing. Like everything else reported on the news you only see the extreme cases.

I'd probably hesitate to take a job in Beijing, but probably not Shanghai
it is very hazy. Its not fog, and I'm not sure if it's smog or just always hazy. I've never been to any part of China where it isn't hazy.

I'm more than a little upset I'm going to miss the Broncos this morning. Right at kickoff, I will be getting into the van to drive to the factory. For the rest of the day, I actually have #### I have to get done and won't be able to follow the game much at all.

I'm more than a little upset I'm going to miss the Broncos this morning. Right at kickoff, I will be getting into the van to drive to the factory. For the rest of the day, I actually have #### I have to get done and won't be able to follow the game much at all.
So what is it that you are doing ...I mean specifically at work today.

making sure my parts are right, fixing part quality issues, cycle testing some other parts and proposing solutions...you know, the usual.,

making sure my parts are right, fixing part quality issues, cycle testing some other parts and proposing solutions...you know, the usual.,
plastics is the future

Are there any dogs running around or being walked by owners?

How does the water taste?

Do you speak Chinese? How does communication work for your job and when you're out in public?

What's going on in the news there? Lots of weird stuff or is it sanitized by the government?

Do you run into any English-speaking people outside of your circle?

What's the factory worker's perspective on Americans?

What % of your factory employees are under 18? Under 16?

Is there nonstop service from CLT? How long was the flight?

What do they think of Trump? He says they love him but I have my doubts.

Are their ##### and ####### blurry in real life or just on the internet?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious how Americans are perceived over there - not just you, but the overall perception of us.

Do you feel really tall?

How's the beer?
up until today, the beer has been limited to local domestic light lager (not always cold). it tastes like MGD when warm, but not terrible when cold.

Tonight we went to Qingdao city - the old part of town, allegedly near the Tsingtao brewery. We had actual beer from the tap, and it wasn't bad at all. They had an amber something that was nice - a little nutty but not in a bad way. We had a dark beer that I think was a coconut porter, but can't be sure. Both were pretty damn good - best beers I've ever had in Asia.

Are there any dogs running around or being walked by owners?

yup, more than a few.

How does the water taste?

don't think I've tried non-bottled water.

Do you speak Chinese? How does communication work for your job and when you're out in public?

not a bit for me. at the company, we have one guy who works with us - his English is OK. in public - we are basically at the mercy of our hosts. In general, I don't think the average man on the street understands English.

What's going on in the news there? Lots of weird stuff or is it sanitized by the government?

since I don't speak Chinese, the only news I watch is CNN. Hard to say how much is sanitized. The guys I work with - they were complaining about the gov't manipulating the housing market, so there is some distrust of the gov't if that's what you are getting at.

Do you run into any English-speaking people outside of your circle?

no, not that I'm aware of. so far, my factory is in a very rural area so I really dont think many of the locals speak english. At restaraunts, no one has tried, so I'd say no.

What's the factory worker's perspective on Americans?

factory workers keep their heads down and work. as far as my contacts - hard to say. We give them work, occasionally come over and talk a bunch of crap and rarely deliver on our promises. Honestly, I think most Chinese folk are more interested in survival than geo-politics.
answers above in bold

For those keeping track at home, my co-worker has a password for sunday ticket. he figured out how to log in with about 5 minutes left in the game, so I did get to see the ending. It was glorious.

For those keeping track at home, my co-worker has a password for sunday ticket. he figured out how to log in with about 5 minutes left in the game, so I did get to see the ending. It was glorious.
Maybe that's just the ending they showed in China?

yesterday, I asked for a part to be improved. The part is a cable - think telephone coiled cable. While driving to the factory this morning, our driver stopped in the middle of the road on a bridge and waited for 5 minutes or so... this road was a 4 lane busy road, and bridges aren't where people usually stop.

The driver got out of the van and returned with new cable samples for me to test, right there. My guy had the sub-contractor make new parts over night and arranged a drop-off location between my hotel and the factory, and had new parts ready to go. I didn't even see the hand-off.

Maybe that's just the ending they showed in China?
don't toy with my emotions like that.

yesterday, I asked for a part to be improved. The part is a cable - think telephone coiled cable. While driving to the factory this morning, our driver stopped in the middle of the road on a bridge and waited for 5 minutes or so... this road was a 4 lane busy road, and bridges aren't where people usually stop.

The driver got out of the van and returned with new cable samples for me to test, right there. My guy had the sub-contractor make new parts over night and arranged a drop-off location between my hotel and the factory, and had new parts ready to go. I didn't even see the hand-off.
You really a spy?

What % of your factory employees are under 18? Under 16?

no idea. I can't judge age of Asians anyways...they go from looking 16 to 61 almost overnight.

Is there nonstop service from CLT? How long was the flight?

it went like this: CLT>DET, leaving at 6:00AM. That was a 2 hour flight. 4 hour layover in Detroit. 14 hour flight to Shanghai. 4 hour layover. 2 hour flight to Qingdao. All told, Ieft my house at 3:30AM EDT, arrived here at 10:00PM EDT, roughly 30 hours door to door.

What do they think of Trump? He says they love him but I have my doubts.

haven't asked. I'll ask around but really doubt anyone cares.

Are their ##### and ####### blurry in real life or just on the internet?

you are thinking of Japan.
replies in bold

You really a spy?
maybe?

You really a spy?
maybe?
If you're really Jason Bourne, don't reply to this post. If you're not Jason Bourne, don't reply to this post.

And that is why their economy has been growing leaps and bounds for the lastcouple of decades.

And that is why their economy has been growing leaps and bounds for the lastcouple of decades.
that's true. beyond that, I believe their culture is uniquely suited to manual, repetitive labor. creative, original thought is not encouraged because in a country of 2 billion, getting along is most important.

I know that we in the States like to bolivate about income inequality. The difference between the haves and have-nots here is much, much more dramatic. I mentioned previously that our factory is in the country-side. When driving there, you like to imagine that the residents are enjoying an idyllic lifestyle, free from the encumbrances of modern life like traffic and modern soul-killing factories and the like. In reality, these people are subsistence farmers, and if they don't harvest enough peanuts (for example), they could starve as there is no social safety net (as far as I know). Meanwhile, senior management drives past in their Mercedes and BMW's. One has to wonder how this system can last, but this system has worked here (more or less) for thousands of years.

The wealthy here are just as, if not more than, wealthy as American wealthy, but the poor are much, much more poor. We in the states have forgotten what it means to be poor.

Ever read Mr. China?

Mr. China tells the rollicking story of a young man who goes to China with the misguided notion that he will help bring the Chinese into the modern world, only to be schooled by the most resourceful and creative operators he would ever meet. Part memoir, part parable, Mr. China is one man's coming-of-age story where he learns to respect and admire the nation he sought to conquer.

Users who are viewing this thread