What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are we old? How long ago was cheatsheets.net? (1 Viewer)

One league that I have been in with a bunch of other RSFF veterans is heading into season 24. I'm definitely old.

I came here from there.  I think |I was early 20s.  Gonna be 50 soon ⏳

Tick tock homies

Same and same.  I think my first online fantasy league was a yahoo one at work in 1999 or 2000 and that's when I found cheatsheets.  Won a lot of leagues back then just having more up to date information while everyone else was bringing magazines to the draft. 

I came from the cheatsheets.net era as well. It was so long ago that I don’t think I quite figured out how time zones worked yet (east coast bias) and I missed all the double digit user numbers.

Story of my life, either too early or too late.

Last edited by a moderator:
i was thinking of doing a ff timeline documenting the different 'eras' and some major events.  should prolly start a separate thread for that.

94 was my first league.  was commish by 96 and using the newspaper for stats.

found the huddle, geek club, ffwarroom, cheatsheats, sidelines, and was #99 on old yeller.  

I was doing some cleaning in my office and found a 3-ring binder with some FF stuff from the ‘90s … one year I did stats from my league using MS Works. We used to leave lineups on an answering machine each Sunday morning.

I’d be willing to bet I can find a cheatsheets.net printout or two in that goldmine somewhere.

I really miss the early days of the FFA. Was never the same after Shick! stopped moderating. 

First year 1993. Did everything on paper and stats from the Louisville Courier Journal. Then moved onto cheatsheets.net.

First year with a website-based league was 1998 myfantasyleague.com

In high school we'd share our weekly lineups for our NBA league on notebook paper, then I'd pull the stats from the Wednesday USA Today and track everything on pen and paper.  Trades and drops were the worst.

By college the process was the same except I had Lotus123.  Soooo much easier.

Here's the earliest snapshot that the wayback machine has for cheatsheets.net, from August 16th, 2000:  https://web.archive.org/web/20000816094737/http://www.cheatsheets.net/

cap'n grunge said:
My first league, newspaper and paper. 1992.
Same.  My first draft pick ever was Jerry Rice.  1992 was the first year of that league, this year will be the 31st

I wasn't here for cheatsheets.net but I probably arrived shortly after it became FBG. The Huddle put a paywall on its message boards and the commish of one of my leagues (who still has an account here) suggested this place as an alternative. So, whatever year that was. I think my original member # was in the low 4 digits. A few years later, the member numbers were reset and people were making a big deal about getting the lowest number possible. (I-was-here-first-ism was common in the early days of the internet.) I thought that was dumb and reset mine whenever I felt like it. 

1990 was our first year. I didn't have excel....hell, I didn't even have a computer. All rosters were hand drawn. Cut & paste (roster changes) was literally cutting with scissors and taping on top of the old player. Used either USA Today or The Sporting News for our Monday morning official stats and either mailed or faxed the results. Oh boy, those were the days when being commish was hard work. Year 33 and still going strong!

Pretty advanced - my 1st league (and still going) commish used the newspaper & Excel.  Luckily he was an accountant.
My first league was using USA today for stats and a sheet put out my Miller Lite. Oh and a calculator

My first FF league was in '85. It was run by a sports bar in Jax- Glory Days. All of the materials were provided by Miller Lite including a huge league scoreboard that was fastened to a wall. The commish (bar owner) had to manually add up scores for each team and write them down with a sharpie on the scoreboard. It was a huge undertaking by the bar owner.

Everyone wanted the first pick to draft Marino after his '84 season with 48 td passes. I think the guy with the first pick took him and came in last.

First year I ever played fantasy football was 1993. I had no idea what I was doing. Loved football and a friend in high school convinced me to join the “league”. When we did the draft, I honestly didn’t know how the whole thing worked and only vaguely understood the rules. The league had fixed lineups (basically drafted your team and that was that). Each week each guy in the 8 team league pitched in $5 and the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place teams split the money. Apparently nobody else really knew what they were doing either because I ended up with Emmitt Smith, Thurman Thomas and Jerry Rice. The league folded after 4 weeks when it became clear I was going to win every week, lol.

Different league started 2 years later and is still running.

Spent a lot of time at FFToday until the first big board crash and ended up sticking around here as it was a better personality fit for me. It’s crazy how much of an advantage fantasy football ball sites were back in the early days over guys who were still using magazines and Sportscenter as their info sources:

Users who are viewing this thread