What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are Romo's days of being a viable starter gone? (1 Viewer)

unckeyherb

Footballguy
I haven't had him on my team in years, but with that horrible defense, throwing to Dez a ton and an OC that will throw 60% of the game, I thought he may be a steal. Watching that cluster fudge of a game against SF I'm wondering if it was just "week one" stuff or if there's something else there. He looked like he couldn't care less.

I'd be a little concerned considering that he's coming off back surgery but he's a proven vet, it was week 1 and he played a solid defense on the road. I wouldn't hit the panic button yet but I'd certainly keep an eye on it and definitely look to solidify your backup situation in the event that this smoke turns into a fire.

Personally, I think it may be a great time to buy him if you can get him for a song. His schedule is great, historically he's been productive, they have good weapons and a horrible defense.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be a little concerned considering that he's coming off back surgery but he's a proven vet, it was week 1 and he played a solid defense on the road. I wouldn't hit the panic button yet but I'd certainly keep an eye on it and definitely look to solidify your backup situation in the event that this smoke turns into a fire.

Personally, I think it may be a great time to buy him if you can get him for a song. His schedule is great, historically he's been productive, they have good weapons and a horrible defense.
It was actually a home game. I've got Romo in two leagues, but playing Russell Wilson unless both prove they deserve to have their roles reversed.

Not concerned at all here.

The things to keep in mind are that:

-He has some rust to knock off because he did miss some time due to the back issues. However, he appeared fine, took hits, and there have been no reports of pain or anything this week following the game.

-He has a new OC and that takes some adjustment. And he doesn't seem to be having the same challenges Eli Manning has :)

-San Fran is still a good team. No, they weren't playing against Seattle, but this is still one of the better teams.

What I saw was just "one of those games". Lots of big name FNL players didn't look their best Week one and that happens every year. I expect Romo to settle in and for the new OC to do his thing in getting lots of opportunities. The Cowboys don't really figure to be a team that can dictate unto their opponents much this year so there will be passes made and some in catch-up and garbage time.

Not concerned at all here.

The things to keep in mind are that:

-He has some rust to knock off because he did miss some time due to the back issues. However, he appeared fine, took hits, and there have been no reports of pain or anything this week following the game.

-He has a new OC and that takes some adjustment. And he doesn't seem to be having the same challenges Eli Manning has :)

-San Fran is still a good team. No, they weren't playing against Seattle, but this is still one of the better teams.

What I saw was just "one of those games". Lots of big name FNL players didn't look their best Week one and that happens every year. I expect Romo to settle in and for the new OC to do his thing in getting lots of opportunities. The Cowboys don't really figure to be a team that can dictate unto their opponents much this year so there will be passes made and some in catch-up and garbage time.
ya....I think if he threw up a dud in week 7, like happens to all players, it's a non-event but in week 1 everything is magnified. It's understandable to try and figure out what the new reality is but it's early.

Love the fact that the defense stinks, they should be behind alot.

He makes mistakes and he will throw up these clunkers against good D'd from time to time

its one week, lets all have some perspective

In my league he had more points than Rogers / Brady / Rivers and Griffin last week. Give him time and his schedule will improve later on. But for now, Dalton is in my lineup. :sadbanana:

In my league he had more points than Rogers / Brady / Rivers and Griffin last week. Give him time and his schedule will improve later on. But for now, Dalton is in my lineup. :sadbanana:
Good perspective. Nobody is throwing the towel in on your list and shouldn't on Romo either.

It was actually a home game. I've got Romo in two leagues, but playing Russell Wilson unless both prove they deserve to have their roles reversed.
I don't know what game you were watching, but that was hardly a home game. Jerry World is neutral territory at best for the Cowboys.

I dropped him for Jake Locker this week because TEN D >>>> DAL D.....

I may go back if he can put up a couple TDs vs TEN D without a turnover.

He had a first bad game. He isn't the only QB that had a shaky start. I didn't think Brady looked that good against the Dolphins, and Foles started out terrible in the first half.

Haha from seeing the amount of red in the stands and how loud it got when the cowboys were on offense you'd have thought otherwise...

I was surprised by his performance last week. Not by the first Q, but once they got behind 21-3, I thought it'd be one of those games where he throws for 380 yards and three scores as a Cowboys comeback falls short and they lose 38-31 or something like that.

Was he ever?
First time FF player?

Was he ever?
Yes, absolutely.

It amazes me that he is almost singularly judged for the bobbled snap on the FG vs Seattle in 2007 and not for the incredible numbers he puts up every single year.

[SIZE=14.2857141494751px]270+ yards 1.9 TDs and .95 INT per game with 7.8 Y/A in 109 starts and a 63-46 record are ridiculously good numbers. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning wouldn't win any more games than Romo has if they had to play under they dysfunction Jerry Jones creates.[/SIZE]

To be fair to Romo, when the cowboys went down 21-3 in the first quarter, Romo had only one INT. Up until his 1st INT, the cowboys offense didn't look too bad. It was only when he felt the need to press that things got disastrous. Pretty strange game overall with the crazy start and phantom penalties in the 2nd half.

• Since his 40.9 point QB1 performance vs DEN wk 5 in '13, Tony Romo has been inside the top 10 scorers only once with avg QB finish of 17.1.
  • In terms of points per game over that stretch, he's at 14.4. Which is roughly QB16 seasonal numbers.

2013 league avg. was 17.1 ppg allowed to QB

• Since his 40.9 point QB1 performance vs DEN wk 5 in '13, Tony Romo has been inside the top 10 scorers only once with avg QB finish of 17.1.
  • In terms of points per game over that stretch, he's at 14.4. Which is roughly QB16 seasonal numbers.
  • 2013 league avg. was 17.1 ppg allowed to QB
Did something happen to him or the cowboys during/after that game to change his performance? If not then this feels more like a cherrypicked statistic. I could also say something like: If you throw out Romo's first game in each season, his stats and scoring are... and it would be no less relevant.

Shutout said:
djjosee said:
Good perspective. Nobody is throwing the towel in on your list and shouldn't on Romo either.
Sort of agree, but aside from RGIII those guys didn't have many ??? Around them. The RGIII owners I know are definitely panicking.

Romo hasn't produced much since week 5 (Denver) last season. I owned him in '13, and he was terribly medicore after that game, except one week where he was decent. His schedule was just as awesome last year as it allegedly is this year. Let's just say I let Romo pass me by & I took Cutler instead. THAT is how disinterested I was in grabbing Romo this year, and I am not exactly a Cutler fan.

So if we magically exclude Romo's game vs Denver he averaged 237 yards, 1.9 TDs and 0.6 INTs per game.

Yeah, he's terrible.

Which other games should we magically exclude to prove the Anti Romo opinion?

Romo was under pressure just 22.5% of the time v. SF..SF finished week 1as the 17th ranked defense..

his WR's didn't drop a single pass yet his accuracy % was 6th worst in the league.

source: PFF

I think it's time to sell Romo..

the fact that Romo couldn't do anything,at home, against a mediocre defense, means (very) bad things going forward - and they play Seattle in a few weeks..

Apologies to all those starting him this week, but personally I'm hoping he throws up one more dud so that I can go get him everywhere for pennies on the dollar.

Here are Romo's positional fantasy finishes by season since 2007: 2, 12, 5, 7 (prorated due to injury), 7, 8, 10. Meaning that for the cost of your 9th-round pick you're basically guaranteeing yourself mid-tier QB1-level performance, plus the significant upside that having two future Hall-of-Fame pass-catchers and a historically bad defense adds.

Yes, he plays the Seahawks and Cards this year. You know who else he plays? The teams ranked #29, 30 (twice), 31 (twice), and 32 by FO in total defense.

If you want to believe that he suddenly stopped knowing how to play QB midway through last season, go right ahead. I'll gladly take him off your hands.

(FD: I own Romo in exactly zero leagues this year. And I'm an Eagles fan.)

I think people are over-reacting to Romo's first game. Just looking back at that game--he threw an int in the end zone that was sheer rust--Dwayne Harris was wide open and somehow Romo missed him. If he's not rusty--I easily see that interception being replaced with a dallas touchdown. That would have put his day at approximately 290 passing yards, 2 tds, 2 ints---which is not a horrible fantasy day. My bet is that Romo will be a far better fantasy qb in fantasy than he will in reality this season. I understand if people are hesitant to start him--but I certainly can't understand dropping him at this point.

Love the fact that the defense stinks, they should be behind alot.

He makes mistakes and he will throw up these clunkers against good D'd from time to time

its one week, lets all have some perspective
Exactly. He finished 31:10 TD to INT ratio last year. He had two "clunkers" last year and had a 2:1 ratio in those games combined.

I don't know what game you were watching, but that was hardly a home game. Jerry World is neutral territory at best for the Cowboys.
Does that change the fact that the game was played in Dallas? Was it a raucus home crowd rooting for all things Cowboys? No. But you can't deny it was a home game, which is what I was referring to in correcting Banger's comment.

After week 1...not exactly hitting the panic button here.

Romo has been very consistent as a top10-ish QB so I think one game I will take with a grain of salt.

• 2013 league avg. was 17.1 ppg allowed to QB
Incredible. I appreciate the post, all you're pointing out is that the majority of the time over the last 8-10 FF weeks dating back to last year, Romo has been mediocre at best. Others back this up by saying he had a soft schedule last year, SF wasn't that great, no dropped passes...how much better will things get?

He looked as bad as I have ever seen him. He made some awful reads and passed on some open guys, things I never saw him do before. Something was off, it was either rust from nit playing a lot or the back is limiting him from being the QB he has been in the past.

I personally would not trade for him. I have always been a big Romo advocate, always thought he received more blame than he should over the years but I am a big skeptic going forward. Bad backs are no joke. If you don't have your back under you, you just aren't yourself. I hope I am wrong and he earns comeback player of the year.

Romo has these games at least two or three times a year.

He will never get the Cowboys to the playoffs again but he will score fantasy points.

At this point, we're all speculating until we see him play more games this season.

SF's D is one of the better ones in the NFL.

On the flip side, The Cowboys have a solid O-line, and offensive weapons o'plenty......Along with a defense that on paper, looks to be as bad or worse than last years......which was historically bad. This led us to believe the Cowboys will put up big offensive stats.

My gut tells me Romo will be ok this season. But he's taken a beating over his tenure as Cowboys QB, and has the back thing. And, he's not getting any younger, or fleet of foot, which is a big part of his ability to improvise.......The main reason I think he will be ok, is the talent around him on offense. I think we'll see him get in a groove at some point.....hopefully soon!

He looked as bad as I have ever seen him. He made some awful reads and passed on some open guys, things I never saw him do before. Something was off, it was either rust from nit playing a lot or the back is limiting him from being the QB he has been in the past.

I personally would not trade for him. I have always been a big Romo advocate, always thought he received more blame than he should over the years but I am a big skeptic going forward. Bad backs are no joke. If you don't have your back under you, you just aren't yourself. I hope I am wrong and he earns comeback player of the year.
I targeted him in the draft and missed out. After week 1 I am glad I did. He was horrific. You can chalk up all of it to rust if you want to. He was missing guys by 5 yards. He'll improve, but there's going to be some rough outings for sure.

He was just late on the throws...and only 1/2 second or so.

Small margin for error and he barely played in camp and pre-season. It will just take more work for him to get that down.

Still not worried about him and he is my QB in 5 or 6 leagues

Last week was bad, but that happens from time to time with Romo. I would for sure hold onto him as he will have some great games this year.

Ex-Green Bay/Philly/Dallas scout Bryan Broaddus thinks Romo is physically unable to make throws he routinely made before.

I didn't want to believe that there was something physically wrong with Romo and the way that he was throwing the ball, but there is. He took the early sacks in the game, and that might have effected him, but there were several throws where I have seen him complete those passes with his eyes closed, but he was badly off target here. He is really having to fight through these series, which is to his credit, but I am now concerned.

Romo thinks he's better than ever.

Cowboys QB Tony Romo: “I can throw it better than I ever have.”

Observers insist Tony Romo doesn’t look right in the first two weeks of the regular season. The consensus is that he doesn’t have the same zip on his passes.

Romo answered repeated questions on his health and arm strength in the wake of the team’s 26-10 victory over Tennessee.

“Listen, I’m telling you guys, the reason I’m excited is because of the way I’m throwing the football,’’ Romo said. “Physically just piercing it when I want to.

“I can throw it better than I ever have. The rest of it is part of the game and footwork and your hips. Did you find the guy at the right time, or are you working here and throwing it over there so it’s like you don’t get anything on it?’’

Romo concedes the subtle aspects of his set-up and delivery are coming along slowly since his back surgery nearly nine months ago. But he said he feels better with each week that goes by and is throwing the ball well down the field.

He said this even though he had only one completion that went for more than 20 yards against the Titans. While he had no interceptions, a sideline out to Jason Witten near the end of the first half would have been intercepted if the tight end hadn’t knocked the ball away from safety Bernard Pollard.

“How about that same route I threw to Cole Beasley on the third down at the end of the game,’’ Romo countered. “It’s actually a tougher route than what I threw to Wit.’’

On third-and-seven early in the fourth quarter, Romo hit Beasley for 10 yards on a comparable pattern to extend what would be the team’s final field goal drive. Owner Jerry Jones, who acknowledged some of Romo’s throws lacked energy, cited that completion to Beasley after the game to express his confidence in the quarterback.

Romo broke down the difference in the throws to Witten and Beasley and why he was able to get more velocity on his throw to Beasley later in the game.

“It’s the end of the half so you’re trying to make the corner go high, because you’ve got to get out of bounds,’’ Romo said of the throw to Witten. “Its 14 seconds, no timeouts. So what you’re going to try to is hold yourself up high so the corner drives up and then at the last second throw it here.

“Your body’s not turned, so it’s really hard. You don’t want to just open up and turn, or the corner comes off.

“So that throw has nothing to do with arm or any of that stuff. It’s more body and getting yourself in position. That’s always a hard throw at the end of the half. It looks easy. It’s just not.’’

And the pass to Beasley?

“I’m just right in here and he breaks out and you throw it and it’s right on target,’’ Romo said as he displayed how he moved his feet and positioned his body to make the throw.

“If I’m able to just drop back and throw the ball, I’ve never thrown it as well as I am. But you’re going to be looking for more stuff, and then the little things that come up, that you guys will find.’’

Users who are viewing this thread