What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Aquaman movie (1 Viewer)

prosopis

Arizona Chupacabra
I did a search and did not see a thread for the Aquaman movie. 

I went in with low expectations but my kid really wanted to see it. It was better then I thought it was going to be but I thought it was about 30 minutes to long. I do have some questions/problems with it but I will save those as I dont want to spoil anything for those who care.

I will say Nicole Kidman is doing a fantastic job aging. Makes me wonder if she and Tom Cruise made a deal with the devil. How are those two still looking so good?

I went in with low expectations but my kid really wanted to see it. It was better then I thought it was going to be but I thought it was about 30 minutes to long. I do have some questions/problems with it but I will save those as I dont want to spoil anything for those who care.

I will say Nicole Kidman is doing a fantastic job aging. Makes me wonder if she and Tom Cruise made a deal with the devil. How are those two still looking so good?
Metric tons of plastic surgery, Botox and control over lighting and makeup.

I love AQM he’s always been my favorite character.  I went in today not expecting much but really enjoyed it.  Last 20 were typical cheese but overall pretty good.  7/10

and yes, Kidman WOW!  The redhead...very good skills as well

Last edited by a moderator:
My first question and I dont feel this is spoiler territory is- Do the Atlantians at some point stop ageing ? 

Husband doing the dock walk every morning obviously aged while Kidman other then some hair change did not. 

My older son wanted to see the PG-13 Deadpool movie but it wasn't being shown around here. I offered this as a substitute and we both enjoyed it. Whomever said it's not a Marvel class movie was right, but it was probably one of DC's better offerings.

Family deciding to go to a movie tonight. Deciding between this and Bumblebee. Both getting great reviews. My son and I don't care which one. Asked the wife and she strongly suggested this. I wonder why...
My wife was pissed when we went to see the spiderman movie on friday over this. :lmao:

I was just coming in to post that I hope Adrian Grenier gets a cameo, but I see that's been covered. 

Speaking of which, where has Mandy Moore been? That's a career that sort of faded...

Thanks Guys. I'd seen a few tweets about it from non movie critic types that were destroying the movie. Like walk out in the middle of it bad. But hadn't seen much else. 

I was just coming in to post that I hope Adrian Grenier gets a cameo, but I see that's been covered. 

Speaking of which, where has Mandy Moore been? That's a career that sort of faded...
She's a main character on one of the biggest hit shows on tv

There was definitely a level of corniness to it but I don't know how you can do without that in a movie about a guy who talks to fish. Despite that I really enjoyed the movie. Parts Thor, parts Star Wars, and parts National Treasure it definitely felt familiar but the storytelling was the best DC ever did and up there with some marvel movies. Plus Amber Heard was incredibly hot in this movie. A definite 10. Black Manta was cool too. Also stay for the mid credits scene. 

It was pretty good.  Very ambitious movie.  Momoa was very good as was Heard overall.  DC has to stop with the splash pages shots.  Storywise I think hes a comparable character to Thor - and it was better than the Thor movies.

Thanks Guys. I'd seen a few tweets about it from non movie critic types that were destroying the movie. Like walk out in the middle of it bad. But hadn't seen much else. 
It’s nowhere near that bad.  It was decent/entertaining.

It would be lower tier MCU (though not the worst) but it’s probably the 2nd or 3rd best of this round of DC Universe movies, behind Wonder Woman, comparable to Justice League, way ahead of the others.

DC is slowly figuring things out to make their Universe at least not embarrassing 

It was okay. I really like superhero movies. I’ve even been tolerable of DC movies (And very much enjoyed WW).  This one was just boring and super cheesy.  Maybe deep down I unconsciously hate AM. Maybe I wasn’t in the mood for a superhero movie. I dunno but I slogged through it and wish I’d went to see Bumblebee. 

Thankfully Amber is hot. 

Boys want to go watch this tonight.  Will likely take them, but expectations are really low.  Plus, I despise Nicole Kidman.  Put me in the group that doesn't find her attractive, and seems to kill/disrupt every movie she's in.

it gives away that shes not actually dead
Agreed, but I don't consider that a spoiler in that it was obviously going to happen, just a question of when and how.  The outfit she had on - with the bones sticking out - was one of the better laugh out loud moments in the movie.

I thought the flick was outstanding. My only complaint is Momoa doesn't quite have the range for a couple of the scenes, but that's not really why he was cast and there weren't many of them.

I keep telling people, that DC finally has a movie that is on par with some of the Marvel movies. It's not in the top tier of the MCU, but it is up there with some of them. I was as surprised at how good this was as I was with the Spiderverse flick. Both movies I took my boys to thinking they would dig it and I would have to tolerate. Both were outstanding. 

shadyridr said:
I actually wondered this too.

the answer is underwater flares do exist
I believe standard road side flares work under water, they just don't light underwater. But once lit they will burn under water. Underwater flares, the kinds you would keep on boats do light underwater. 

It wasn't the worst DC movie, but it wasn't great either.  Kind of cheesy and predictable.  I was sitting next to my 10yr old and said the "pee" line outl oud before it was on the screen.  He looked at me and said "gross", then after Mamoa said it, he turned to me in shock and awe like I could read minds!  Funniest part of the movie for me.

It's probably the closest movie DC has made that could rival some of the Marvel movies.  A lot of action and good graphics.  But still not on par with the top of the Marvel line.  Even the 10yr old asked me "why are these movies always so dark?  Marvel movies aren't dark.  They have a lot of light and I can see better."  He's not wrong, on either the lighting or the "darkness" of their films.  He wasn't discussing the tone of the film, but he nailed it regardless.

It wasn't the worst DC movie, but it wasn't great either.  Kind of cheesy and predictable.  I was sitting next to my 10yr old and said the "pee" line outl oud before it was on the screen.  He looked at me and said "gross", then after Mamoa said it, he turned to me in shock and awe like I could read minds!  Funniest part of the movie for me.

It's probably the closest movie DC has made that could rival some of the Marvel movies.  A lot of action and good graphics.  But still not on par with the top of the Marvel line.  Even the 10yr old asked me "why are these movies always so dark?  Marvel movies aren't dark.  They have a lot of light and I can see better."  He's not wrong, on either the lighting or the "darkness" of their films.  He wasn't discussing the tone of the film, but he nailed it regardless.
Uh, because most of the movie was underwater? When they were bopping around the desert it wasn't dark. Even inside that ruin, it wasn't all that dark, which is weird considering it was underneath a sand dune. 

shadyridr said:
There was definitely a level of corniness to it but I don't know how you can do without that in a movie about a guy who talks to fish. Despite that I really enjoyed the movie. Parts Thor, parts Star Wars, and parts National Treasure it definitely felt familiar but the storytelling was the best DC ever did and up there with some marvel movies. Plus Amber Heard was incredibly hot in this movie. A definite 10. Black Manta was cool too. Also stay for the mid credits scene. 
This will sound lame but this may get me to go see the movie - how much is Black Manta in it?  He was always one of my favorite bad guys.

Ugh.  It was a DC movie not named Wonder Woman, basically.  Had some good action, a lot of really "eh" plot moments for me though.

Such as (paraphrased):

Henchman on sub: "We secured the captain."
Captain: You won't get away with this.
Head bad guy kills Captain.

Really needed the Henchman at that point to ask, "WTF did you have us bother securing the captain alive and bringing him to you alive if you're just going to kill him the moment he says anything!?"

I can't believe some of you guys liked this movie.  I thought it was terrible. Bad plot, bad sub-plots, poor CGI, predictable dialogue, unbelievable action, growling sharks, etc.  I mean, Atlantis sinks and instead of drowning, the inhabitants adapt to breathe under water?  Come on.

It reminded me of the GI Joe movies but with the plot of the Barbie/mermaid movie my daughter's watched a thousand times when they were 5.

Easily the worst of DCU/MCU movies, with possible exceptions of Hulk.

Users who are viewing this thread