What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club - DotM: George Miller (1 Viewer)

Two sazarecs in, and fired up the original Mad Max. If I’ve never seen any, should I skip over this for one of the sequels?

(About 20 minutes in and these car chases are just boring the heck out of me. Is this what these movies are?)

Two sazarecs in, and fired up the original Mad Max. If I’ve never seen any, should I skip over this for one of the sequels?

(About 20 minutes in and these car chases are just boring the heck out of me. Is this what these movies are?)

Basically yes with increasingly more elaborate production values and some mythological mumbo jumbo.

Basically yes with increasingly more elaborate production values and some mythological mumbo jumbo.
Alright. Gave it another 15 minutes or so after my post before flipping on American Fiction. More my speed.

Alright. Gave it another 15 minutes or so after my post before flipping on American Fiction. More my speed.
I think you will enjoy some of next month, August, and Sept a bit more.

Imo Fury Road is one of the best action movies ever. The rest of the series is ok. There’s no doubt Fury Road is the one to start with. You don’t need any backstory at all

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985)

I saw this one during its original theatrical run and I'm pretty sure this is my first viewing since. I remember being disappointed by it back then but couldn't remember exactly why. The only scene that really stuck in my consciousness was the fight in Thunderdome. I was surprised that this took place within the first half hour of the movie; its the first action sequence after Max arrives in Bartertown.

By the high standards of the series, Beyond Thunderdome is the lightest on action and heaviest on mythological mumbo jumbo. The movie bogs down a bit after Max is sent to the wastelands. Max's reaction to being worshiped by the child tribe is fun and in line with the character we've known. But there's a lot of exposition about the Captain Walker legend in the flabby middle of the film, delivered in dialect no less. Miller is an always an inventive visual director so these scenes are still interesting to watch but the pacing suffers. The long-awaited vehicular mayhem doesn't happen until the final half hour. It's typically awesome but the setup is very reminiscent of the climactic chase of MM3 except the tanker is now on rails.

The train chase was mostly worth the wait but I think my favorite parts of the movie took place in Bartertown; I wish Miller would have explored more of it. It's a cool set and it was a shame it had to be blown up but Auntie Tina can rebuild civilization again.

Last edited:
40,000 Years of Dreaming (aka White Fellas Dreaming: A Century of Australian Cinema) (1997)

MIller wrote and directed this one hour documentary for the British Film Institute as part of their Century of Cinema series. You may remember Scorsese also participated in this series with a four-hour personal history of American film.

Miller's contribution is just over an hour in length because there just aren't as many Australian movies as American. He bemoans the fact that the local film industry was virtually inactive during the quarter century after the end of WWII which were also the formative years of Miller's love for the art form. Where Scorsese's film took the now standard auteurist view using his favorite directors, Miller takes an approach equating the medium of film as the white fellas' version of aboriginal songlines and oral history. Rather than focusing on filmmakers or genres, Miller organizes his taxonomy using a set of typically Australian character types such as bushmen and diggers to show how film and culture influenced each other. Some of these categories like black fellas and wogs wouldn't fly today but Miller strives to be inclusive to show how the nation grew from boatloads of convicts to today's multi-cultural society.

It's an interesting thesis but one that's hampered by the unfamiliarity of most of the film clips he uses. I did get a few new films to my never ending queue. Miller is an enthusiastic and engaging guide though, coming off more like a guru than Scorsese's cool professor persona. There are certainly worse ways to spend an hour although this print is a VHS rip.

Not sure if this is covered but Sergio Leone has to be a massive influence on Miller. So let's go to the desert and check out this new 4K restoration of Once Upon a Time in the West. This is a movie that has grown on me over time and I am guessing will continue to with this viewing. I didn't always get it at first but I now love and appreciate Leone's patience.

Right off the bat, this movie is screaming "I love you John Ford" and wow, the story is by "Sergio Leone, Dario Argento and Bernardo Bertolucci". NDB.

Last edited:
I took a dystopian side step in my viewings, but it fits with the themes and another movie new in the theaters - Planet of the Apes. I might stick with this and watch more in the series. I'm not in the mood for going down the kids movie rabbit hole and I think watching all the Mad Max movies was good coverage for Miller.

There is a clear throughline from Ford to Lean to Leone but I am not sure where it goes from there. Anyone? Connect the next dot for me.

Miller borrowed heavily but I do not believe he is the lineal chamo so to speak here.

Ok, I just read the synopsis for Three Thousand Years of Longing. WTF? I just found what I am watching tonight.

It's absolutely gorgeous but the story didn't connect with me at all.

It was good for Miller to try his hand on non-franchise IP for the first time in 30 years.

There is a clear throughline from Ford to Lean to Leone but I am not sure where it goes from there. Anyone? Connect the next dot for me.

Miller borrowed heavily but I do not believe he is the lineal chamo so to speak here.

@Ilov80s have you ever expanded before on your Ford-Lean-Leone lineage? I don't understand what you're getting at. Even though they're on the same page of the phone book, there's a gap between Lean and Leone

I think Miller and a bunch of other modern filmmakers (e.g. Tarantino, Carpenter, the Coens) were influenced by Leone's films, both in visual style and their postmodernist twists on genre.

My name is Max. My world is fire and blood.

Time to get ready for Furiosa with this 4K- probably one of the best looking and sounding discs ever

Miller borrowed heavily but I do not believe he is the lineal champ so to speak here.

@Ilov80s have you ever expanded before on your Ford-Lean-Leone lineage? I don't understand what you're getting at. Even though they're on the same page of the phone book, there's a gap between Lean and Leone

I think Miller and a bunch of other modern filmmakers (e.g. Tarantino, Carpenter, the Coens) were influenced by Leone's films, both in visual style and their postmodernist twists on genre.
So much of it is in the use of landscapes. The landscapes often dwarf the people themselves. Movies about people in worlds harsh lanscapes, forced to go to great extremes to survive and find meaning. An incredible patience in their storytelling. Always very deliberate with a way of being technically advanced visually without ever coming off as flashy. They aren't showboats but their films are so technically perfect, so visaully obsessed. Yet never soulless. Tarantino is too showy and too obsessed with pastiche (shout out to Wikkid). Carpenter is more Hawks to me and like QT, he's also very obsessed with genre/B movies. The Coens bring so much humor into their films. To me they are so much Preston Sturges- an truly American sense of humor but like the previous directors, they seemed to want to tap into so many past forms from Busby Berkley to The Big Sleep. Ford, Lean and Leone seem far more singular and foused to me.

Miller brings those landscapes into his films. He sets his characters against impossible menacing natural worlds. But something is different. Perhaps it's just the energy?

Users who are viewing this thread