What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amazon Prime Video "Watch Instantly" Gems: FBG's Recommend (4 Viewers)

The Expanse (sci-fi channel) season 1 is on Amazon.  I'm through the first 5 episodes and it gets a big thumbs up.

I'm new to Amazon Prime. 
Over the weekend we completed Season 1 of Sneaky Pete.

Last night I started Goliath....and after two episodes:

Goliath >>>  Sneaky Pete
I liked Goliath... Not tip-top, but enjoyable.

I saw the Pete pilot and found it cliched, so didn't follow up with the rest of the season in spot of a good cast.

We really didn't want to like Amazon video since we're big time Netflix fans, but we've been pretty overwhelmed at how much quality stuff is on there.  We started watching Hand of God on Sunday and are already 6 episodes in.  It's dark and visceral, very good.

Here's a good list of the shows we've watched so far:

Curb your Enthusiasm 

Boardwalk Empire

Eastbound & Down

Man in the High Castle 

Mr. Robot 

Justified

On The Rocks said:
I'm new to Amazon Prime. 
Over the weekend we completed Season 1 of Sneaky Pete.

Last night I started Goliath....and after two episodes:

Goliath >>>  Sneaky Pete

Looking forward to seeing the aggressive little attorney getting nekkid.  

Our last episode was where Hurt weirdly got her to his office late a night and was nekkid ...thankfully in the cover of darkness.  

We finished watching Goliath last night.  Really liked the series, but thought the final court scene with closing arguments was a bit of a let down.  It was ok, but it was no Paul Newman in The Verdict. 

The overall season was really good.  BBT was great!  Here's something I thought was interesting.  I don't typically take note of great female characters but this show has bunch of great ones! (with the exception of the Maria Bello :yawn: ). 

Not a big fan of William Hurt but really liked him in this.

dgreen said:
One of my least favorite characters in any show ever. Absolutely horrible. 
he was a credible leading man for a time but, yes, he's not cut out for character actor work. he doesn't have the range for it.

Bone Tomahawk - great mashup of Western+ Horror. Reminded me of an older Tarantino type flick. Really good cast as well...Kurt Russell, Patrick Wilson, Matthew Fox and Richard Jenkins have a nice on screen dynamic.  Once they make it to the cave, many  :X  scenes

7.7/10

Bosch

A few familiar actors from The Wire, and other cop shows in this.  A lot of really bad acting as well.  :(

This past week or so, we completed binge watching the first two seasons.  The story lines were just good enough to keep me watching, but not sure I will bother checking in for season 3.  Some of the scenes are so slow and boring....and then they mix in jazz music for background and you want to slap the show in the back to get it moving to the next higher gear.

I can't recommend this, but if you're bored and desperate for something new, it's worth giving it a try.  Just don't blame me if you hate it.

Bosch

A few familiar actors from The Wire, and other cop shows in this.  A lot of really bad acting as well.  :(

This past week or so, we completed binge watching the first two seasons.  The story lines were just good enough to keep me watching, but not sure I will bother checking in for season 3.  Some of the scenes are so slow and boring....and then they mix in jazz music for background and you want to slap the show in the back to get it moving to the next higher gear.

I can't recommend this, but if you're bored and desperate for something new, it's worth giving it a try.  Just don't blame me if you hate it.
:lol:

We're all-in after seeing the pilot earlier this week. Hoping to find the time to binge a few episodes this weekend.
teh wife has given up on it after 3 episodes... too "guy". I'll have to watch on my own after she's gone to sleep... so far really liking it.

teh wife has given up on it after 3 episodes... too "guy". I'll have to watch on my own after she's gone to sleep... so far really liking it.
I enjoyed it, couldn't stop watching in a strange way, but can't recommend it to others as a worthwhile use of their time.  Seemed like two or three different show concepts mashed together. The music is good.

my wife also dropped out early.

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed it, couldn't stop watching in a strange way, but can't recommend it to others as a worthwhile use of their time.  Seemed like two or three different show concepts mashed together. The music is good.

my wife also dropped out early.
I binged it. Really enjoyed it, but agree that it's a tough sell to recommend.

Felt like there wasn't enough plot-wise to warrant 8 or 10 episodes. Also felt like the leads ennuie needed a bit more progress, even if it was amusing. I think if people hate Wes Anderson, there's enough of that quirkiness here that, even though different, it will turn them off.

That said, I really enjoyed the writing, acting and overall visual approach. And if the lead was actually singing... nice chops.. kind of a Johnny Cash vibe.

Eta. There's a moment in Raising Arizona when Cage is trying to steal Huggies and everything goes wrong... The camera captures a looking of absolute despair and acceptance in his eyes. That split second perfectly captures the tenor of Patriot

Watched both seasons of The Man in the High Castle. Started off really intriguing but by the end of season 2, it lost some of its luster.

About to finish up Good Girls Revolt and it sucks that they cancelled it. I'm ready for more.

Watched both seasons of The Man in the High Castle. Started off really intriguing but by the end of season 2, it lost some of its luster.

About to finish up Good Girls Revolt and it sucks that they cancelled it. I'm ready for more.
Damn not what I wanted to hear about mithc. Was going to try it after Fargo.

Watching the Hugh Hefner stuff. Finishing up episode 3 and it's definitely interesting that see what Playboy was back in the day. 

Had started Castle then stopped.  No real reason, just watched other stuff and didn't get back to it.

Started Wynona Earp (netflix) but will probably binge watch Castle after that's over. 

Anyone watch The Lobster?  I hadn't heard of it until seeing it on a "best on Amazon" list.  Very funny but a dry humor based on the absurdity of the premise. It's about a society that requires single people to get married or they turn them into an animal of their choice. Certainly not for everyone but I'd think you'd know one way or the other within the first 5 minutes. 

Anyone watch The Lobster?  I hadn't heard of it until seeing it on a "best on Amazon" list.  Very funny but a dry humor based on the absurdity of the premise. It's about a society that requires single people to get married or they turn them into an animal of their choice. Certainly not for everyone but I'd think you'd know one way or the other within the first 5 minutes. 
Awesome movie, second this

:thumbup:

Awesome movie, second this

Love it!

On 2/2/2016 at 0:50 PM, Quez said:

Any endorsements for Fortitude, Transparent, or Suits?

not a perfect ending, but a decent watch.
season 2 is completely nuts. a bit silly- but a pretty fun ride so far.  I mentioned it in the Netflix thread... is anybody watching this?
just posted this in the netflix thread too...

sunnava... the season finale is such a litany of nonsensical wtfs- super frustrating after what was a really good run. the wife seemed to like it, so I might be flying solo on that opinion. anybody else watching this? I'll discuss further if so. 

The four hour Grateful Dead documentary "Long Strange Trip" comes out on Amazon Prime Video on June 2nd. It will be shown in theaters in LA and NYC May 26th. A friend of mine saw a screening of it about 3 weeks ago, and she said it is great. I'm looking forward to see it.

Any endorsements for Fortitude, Transparent, or Suits?
I'm into season 4 of Suits.  Loved the first 3 seasons a lot.  Current season is trending in the wrong direction IMO, but I'm guessing it'll correct based on the fact that I know there are many more seasons left. :oldunsure:  

Long Strange Trip. Grateful Dead documentary.  2 episodes in so far and it's good.  

Users who are viewing this thread