What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amazed at people who know zero about sports (1 Viewer)

In a few minutes a night of NCAA basketball, cool.

What will the Cards do with Rosen?

NBA playoffs just around the corner.

Where will hurdler Grant Holloway be this time next month?

And my sex life is great, the family life, cool.  No problems with anything. Knowing sports just gives you more things to look forward to, more things to do.

Being an historian who can talk the origins of it all, very cool. A great way to get to know somebody is talking sports. Somebody will always....an historian huh, what have you ever wrote.....yep, must challenge that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve watched NE games with my wife for 20 years. She still thinks that when Tom Brady gets hit as he’s throwing that is BLATANT pass interference and demands a flag be thrown. Not everyone is well versed on even sports basics.

I am sure others will say he gets flags when he doesn’t get hit, and I won’t disagree with them. 
Are you trying to tell us she is wrong?

Are you trying to tell us she is wrong?
She wants "roughing the passer" to be called "pass interference" and what we know as "pass interference" to be called "receiving interference". And I am pretty sure when a runner gets tackled by the face mask that she thinks that should be designated as "running interference." She does have a point.

Our kids played on 13 teams over the years that I can remember (football, basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, lacrosse, field hockey, wrestling, golf, gymnastics, skiing, cross country, and track and field). Now imagine having to explain the rules and officiating, especially when there often are different rules for boys and girls (in addition to rules variations at the youth, high school, and professional levels). Can't tell you the number of times I've heard the line ""Well that's just dumb!"

I only watch football, but at the bar drinking by a 70 year old he was asking who Gonzola was told him it was Gonzaga, he said he never heard of them.  Even I've heard of them, so I was a little shocked.

I only watch football, but at the bar drinking by a 70 year old he was asking who Gonzola was told him it was Gonzaga, he said he never heard of them.  Even I've heard of them, so I was a little shocked.
I would have told him Gonzola was a brand of cooking oil.

This

And even more amazed by people who know zero about finances other than money buys stuff
Not to get on my soapbox and derail this thread, but you can blame our country's primary schooling curricula for that.

My wife has been an elementary school teacher for nigh-on 20 years and she's always used a "checkbook" system with credits and debits to keep track of rewards and punishments in class. Whether she's teaching 3rd graders or 6th, she's never had more than four kids in one incoming class who understood the concept of a bank balance. That's just criminal.

Not to get on my soapbox and derail this thread, but you can blame our country's primary schooling curricula for that.

My wife has been an elementary school teacher for nigh-on 20 years and she's always used a "checkbook" system with credits and debits to keep track of rewards and punishments in class. Whether she's teaching 3rd graders or 6th, she's never had more than four kids in one incoming class who understood the concept of a bank balance. That's just criminal.
Agreed.

I have always thought the school system is being paid off to NOT teach that stuff.  

Agreed.

I have always thought the school system is being paid off to NOT teach that stuff.  
My daughter has a class this year on this very topic.  And they have another one in High School that is mandatory.

She learned about budgets, credit, debit etc.  She doesn't understand all the nuances but has a general picture

My daughter has a class this year on this very topic.  And they have another one in High School that is mandatory.

She learned about budgets, credit, debit etc.  She doesn't understand all the nuances but has a general picture
Yes, but does she know who won the 1983 World Series? 

I had lunch yesterday with a guy who had no idea who won the world cup. Dude, it was just last summer, and is by far the biggest sporting event in the world!  He didn't even know where it was held or who played in the final.  Otherwise a totally normal, smart guy.  Unbelievable.    :crazy:

I had lunch yesterday with a guy who had no idea who won the world cup. Dude, it was just last summer, and is by far the biggest sporting event in the world!  He didn't even know where it was held or who played in the final.  Otherwise a totally normal, smart guy.  Unbelievable.    :crazy:
I dont know who won the world cup any year ever.  I don't care about soccer one tiny bit.  Never will.

Right.  What an idiot.  I mean, everyone knows Spain won.  Or Germany.  Or Brazil.  Maybe Portugal?  No.  France.  Wait, was it Italy? Whatever.  Not important.  What's important is that that guy's a jabroni.  What a palooka. 

Maybe some teachers going rogue

Just how much do you guys know about sports?

Bonafide Expert/Guru

Enought to get by

Not a whole hell of a lot.

I know who Babe Ruth was.

I think most have a couple favorites they can really talk then a few where it's....can hang sorta....then some...no clue.

Could I stump this entire board in a trivia contest Google or no Google?

I play soccer, watch MLS games and some Premier League on weekend mornings.  I’m pretty sure I watched most of the World Cup last summer.   I have no idea who won.  Think that is more of a reflection on my memory though. 

Just how much do you guys know about sports?

Bonafide Expert/Guru

Enought to get by

Not a whole hell of a lot.

I know who Babe Ruth was.

I think most have a couple favorites they can really talk then a few where it's....can hang sorta....then some...no clue.

Could I stump this entire board in a trivia contest Google or no Google?
Is this some sort of British spelling I'm not aware of?  :confused:

In a few minutes a night of NCAA basketball, cool.

What will the Cards do with Rosen?

NBA playoffs just around the corner.

Where will hurdler Grant Holloway be this time next month?

And my sex life is great, the family life, cool.  No problems with anything. Knowing sports just gives you more things to look forward to, more things to do.

Being an historian who can talk the origins of it all, very cool. A great way to get to know somebody is talking sports. Somebody will always....an historian huh, what have you ever wrote.....yep, must challenge that.
i'm putting this on my tombstone

it's like you're dreaming of gorGonzola cheese when it's clearly brie time, baby.

I doubt that was their criteria, but places like the UK, Canada, Australia and the US all seem to speak the same but spell words differently, in some cases.  It seems to be the behaviour of some white countries.
I never worry about spelling, simply don't care. Way too petty.

Users who are viewing this thread