What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amazed at people who know zero about sports (1 Viewer)

Unless you are a monk or live in a tent if you live in the US you know who is playing in the Super Bowl. Doesn’t matter if you don’t follow sports.
Not true. Most of my company are people from other countries who largely live outside the US pop culture bubble. I'd be surprised if half of them knew. I know our owner couldn't tell you anything about any US sports at all. She thinks we're all morons. She doesn't get it. Of the Dave Letterman "what good does it do you?" school of thought when it comes to sports fandom. She makes a slight exception for soccer.

I tried to do a bracket pool a couple years ago and the responses were pretty funny. They're like wtf is that?

I had a friend (50 years old) that had never seen a Star Wars movie until very recently. Sure, the majority of people are mainstreamed and knowledgeable about things like sports and entertainment, but there are outliers.

I had a friend (50 years old) that had never seen a Star Wars movie until very recently. Sure, the majority of people are mainstreamed and knowledgeable about things like sports and entertainment, but there are outliers.
Of course there are outliers.  But you can be amazed by those outliers.  My best friend of 40 years and the best man at my wedding also has never seen Star Wars.  And not just never seen them, but knows zero about them.  If you say something even like "May the force be with you", he'll look at you with a blank stare and be like, "Should I know what you're talking about?"

That amazes me, too.  It doesn't mean I think less of him or think he's stupid.  Outliers should amaze most people.  

"Everyone in our office eats with their hands except Joe.  He uses his elbows to eat."

"Really?  That's amazing!"

"Is it?  Just because he's not like the rest of us?  Lots of people do things outside the norm.  Not sure why you would think Joe eating with his elbows is amazing." :shrug:

BTW last Sunday afternoon on TV, opposite the NCAA tournament, ABC was broadcasting an Overwatch tournament. ABC, not TNT or USA or GeekTV. A freaking BC.

Complete with blow-by-blow analysis, color commentary, multiple angles, dropping in on first person perspective to top down views.

Not a joke.

I had no idea what was going on but I had trouble turning away.

Also not a joke.
Overwatch isn't even that great of a spectator game. Some company is going to create the right game and then esports will really take off.

Of course there are outliers.  But you can be amazed by those outliers.  My best friend of 40 years and the best man at my wedding also has never seen Star Wars.  And not just never seen them, but knows zero about them.  If you say something even like "May the force be with you", he'll look at you with a blank stare and be like, "Should I know what you're talking about?"

That amazes me, too.  It doesn't mean I think less of him or think he's stupid.  Outliers should amaze most people.  

"Everyone in our office eats with their hands except Joe.  He uses his elbows to eat."

"Is it?  Just because he's not like the rest of us?  Lots of people do things outside the norm.  Not sure why you would think Joe eating with his elbows is amazing." :shrug:
People remaining clueless on things is always something that will spark curiosity and interest. Last year, I mentioned something about the Las Vegas shooting a month after the fact to my daughter, who had no idea what I was talking about. None whatsoever.

You brought up The Beatles. I remember when my kids were younger, one of them went up to his grandmother and said he never knew Paul McCartney was in a band. And the band was called Wings. But he had never heard of the Beatles.

I've never seen any of the Star Wars, but I am aware of its existence and high level references.  There's a substantial difference between lack of knowledge and blissful unawareness.

I've never seen any of the Star Wars, but I am aware of its existence and high level references.  There's a substantial difference between lack of knowledge and blissful unawareness.
My friend only knew that the movies existed. He knew nothing about plot, dialogue, characters, etc. We was not into sci fi and had no interest or desire to watch any of the films.

So on the sports front, I think a lot of people may have knowledge of a game called the Super Bowl but a lot of folks may have no idea who was playing in it in any given year.

My friend only knew that the movies existed. He knew nothing about plot, dialogue, characters, etc. We was not into sci fi and had no interest or desire to watch any of the films.

So on the sports front, I think a lot of people may have knowledge of a game called the Super Bowl but a lot of folks may have no idea who was playing in it in any given year.
Being unaware of who is playing in the game is a totally different (non) issue than having no idea when the game is going on and what sport it is affiliated with.

Overwatch isn't even that great of a spectator game. Some company is going to create the right game and then esports will really take off.

I cant stress this enough. Esports will be far bigger than the real stuff eventually. The only thing that will stop it is an asteroid hitting us.

Being unaware of who is playing in the game is a totally different (non) issue than having no idea when the game is going on and what sport it is affiliated with.
if I had to guess, nearly every American alive over ten years old could tell you that the Super Bowl was something related to football.

But once you get to items even as simple as "who is playing" the numbers will drop dramatically. 

I bet if you asked a month after the Super Bowl, "who played", even for people who "watched it", there will be a decent number who can't answer the question.  I think most of us have been to Super Bowl parties where people are not paying any attention to the game and are just there for the social gathering.

As a side note, the Super Bowl is arguably the biggest event in America every year and even then 50% of the US population doesn't  watch the game.

I work with a guy like this - He's a gym rat and work-out warrior who fought MMA in Bellator for a few years.  He knows MMA - that's literally it.  No interest in any other sport and couldn't tell you much of anything about any of them.  Very odd IMO, but to each their own.

An outside consultant came into our office today.  I could hear him talking with a co-worker in the break room.  

We have a big NCAA bracket in there showing the results of the office pool so far.  Consultant said, "What's this for?"

Co-worker - "It's for the brackets.  Company pool.  Are you in any brackets?"

Consultant - "Me?  No.  I don't follow football and couldn't even tell you who's playing in the Super Bowl."

:confused:

I literally had to get up from my desk and go into the break room to pretend I was getting something just so I could see the guy.  I mean, maybe he just worded his response weird?  But it sure sounded like he thought the "bracket pool" was for the Super Bowl.  My 15 year old daughter doesn't follow the NFL but knows when the Super Bowl is played.  WTH?
What a boob

Some people take great pride in not being part of the mainstream.

Others, a smaller % IMO, simply and sincerely don't care about that stuff.

My personal opinion is that most of them are gluten free hipsters that have compost pits at home, have eliminated plastic from their lives and have beards so impeccably groomed they don't need to style it even after getting out of bed in the morning.

I cant stress this enough. Esports will be far bigger than the real stuff eventually. The only thing that will stop it is an asteroid hitting us.
So are there really that many dorks with no girlfriends in the world, that's disturbing.

Last edited by a moderator:
irish eyes said:
So are there really that many dorks with no girlfriends in the world, that's disturbing.

:lmao:  Youre out of touch my man. This sounds like something somebody would say in a 1988 movie. 

Also, I bet those nerds make quadruple your annual salary. But hey, you continue to be super cool and judgmental. 

Chaka said:
BTW last Sunday afternoon on TV, opposite the NCAA tournament, ABC was broadcasting an Overwatch tournament. ABC, not TNT or USA or GeekTV. A freaking BC.

Complete with blow-by-blow analysis, color commentary, multiple angles, dropping in on first person perspective to top down views.

Not a joke.

Also not a joke.
Unfortunately, looking at the ratings from this weekend, ABC (or more specifically ESPN) did them no favors putting them up against the NCAA tournament.

I think eSports has a bright future but it is far from a sure thing.   Any one who has followed any "new" sport or league in the US knows how hard it is to break through.   The competition is monumental and becoming more diverse all the time.

Two key things for eSports to watch over the next ten years is will latino's support it and will the current 20-30 year olds watch once they have families of their own when 30-45ish.

Anarchy99 said:
I’m pretty sure on other message boards people are having similar discussions on their preferred hobbies and interests. Music buffs will wonder why someone never heard of a band. Book clubs will be aghast that someone had never read a popular book. TV viewers will be shocked that someone never watched a particular show from the 90’s. Physicists somewhere will shoot down common folk with no knowledge of basic scientific principles. I think it might be interesting to hear what they have to say about the stupid sports fans. 
Of all the major hobbies, spectator sports is probably tied with reality show enthusiasts as comprising of the dumbest people. I can say this because I enjoy both.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
Effin kids these days....They like this fake sports crap and a guy pretending to play instruments on his laptop...and they pay big money for it. Come on asteroid....and get the eff off my lawn.

:lmao:  Youre out of touch my man. This sounds like something somebody would say in a 1988 movie. 

Also, I bet those nerds make quadruple your annual salary. But hey, you continue to be super cool and judgmental. 
Yeah ok quadruple my annual salary, not likely. I wasn't aware you had my complete work bio. And I was just pointing out how stupid it is to watch someone play a video game. These are actually people that play video games 23 hours day that arent good enough to be in a so called competition, so they watch other people play video games. 

Yeah ok quadruple my annual salary, not likely. I wasn't aware you had my complete work bio. And I was just pointing out how stupid it is to watch someone play a video game. These are actually people that play video games 23 hours day that arent good enough to be in a so called competition, so they watch other people play video games. 
To be fair, that's why I watch sports.  I mean if I was good enough to play, I wouldn't need to watch.  Right?

Chaka said:

Not a joke.

Also not a joke.
Well, I have no idea what Overwatch even is - so there.

Look, Im a fellow curmudgeon like yourself, so I normally agree with you on most topics so it pains me to disagree with you here.

Esports is no dumber than regular sports, its just different. 

As far as salary goes....

Many North American Pros Now Make An Average Of $320,000 Playing League of Legends

this is pretty much what every MMA and soccer fan sounds like as well.  I use that comment all the time :)

The country is changing but it is a slow change and won't come easy.   
Isn't the situation that even with the "fall of" boxing that MMA revenue is stil something like 100x lower than boxing.  And the gap was as far as I knew still getting bigger, though I have no idea how.

Isn't the situation that even with the "fall of" boxing that MMA revenue is stil something like 100x lower than boxing.  And the gap was as far as I knew still getting bigger, though I have no idea how.
it is a strange situation.  Boxing thrives on one or two GINORMOUS events a year for the vast majority of the revenue. 

But MMA continues its slow and steady growth.  MMA highs are SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than boxing highs, but its steady state is as popular or more popular than boxing, imo.

even with NFL a decade ago I could probably name Winner-Loser-MVP of every super bowl since the 70s.  I hardly remember who lost to the Patriots anymore.  The games themselves have been good at the time but forgettable, with exception of the Atlanta meltdown and the head catch I can't remember any particular interesting moments this decade.  

My dad was involved with several different professional sports leagues. I use to know every player and most of the stats, for baseball, football, hockey and basketball. Now, I'm not sure I can even name all the teams in each league. 

Look, Im a fellow curmudgeon like yourself, so I normally agree with you on most topics so it pains me to disagree with you here.

Esports is no dumber than regular sports, its just different. 

As far as salary goes....

Many North American Pros Now Make An Average Of $320,000 Playing League of Legends
Well color me shocked, that's insane. Now how do I go about getting into this arena, lol.

Are you on the "spectrum"?  

Because if not you have no chance. 

TheIronSheik said:
Also, I don't think I called the guy stupid.  I just said I was amazed at how people don't know anything about sports.
I have a super-intelligent/successful buddy who knows absolutely nothing about sports. Referencing prior posts, I doubt he knew who was in the Super Bowl... unless he went to a Super Bowl party just to be social, which I highly doubt.  Even then I bet he's long since forgotten.  

He is super-active in cycling and is an in-shape sort of dude but has no interest in sports.  Back in grammar school I called him a "waste of height" (he was taller than most dudes our age) since I was an avid basketballer.  I finally got him to play and he lasted through freshman year of HS, where he scored on our own basket.  :lol:  

I follow both NFL (duh) and college football, both NBA and college hoops, and will moderately track baseball just because I'm in one fantasy league.  Ask me about hockey, though, and I'm clueless.  

Anarchy99 said:

I bet he knows that Darth Vader is a thing though, and gets the reference when people say "Luke, I am your father" (even if that's not the actual quote).

Users who are viewing this thread