What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Acer's Top 100 Hardcore Songs of all Time: Top 10 Time. Drumroll (1 Viewer)

Anxiously awaiting No Redeeming Social Value's appearance on this list.  Bad Luck 13 Riot Extravaganza as well, but I have a feeling we'll be waiting a while for them  :whistle:

Anxiously awaiting No Redeeming Social Value's appearance on this list.  Bad Luck 13 Riot Extravaganza as well, but I have a feeling we'll be waiting a while for them  :whistle:
We don't kill children around here, guy.

ETA: Bats on the dance floor are fair game though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one album by Bad Luck 13. Worst piece of garbage Ive ever heard.

No Redeeming make an appearance though

One of my all time favorite shows included Marauder.  Earth Crisis was headlining a tour with Madball and Marauder which would have been fun enough on it's own, but Mushmouth (Out To Win) was the opener and absolutely stole the show.  Mushmouth became one of my all time favorite bands as a result, and I actually recently found their demo cassette I bought at that show. 

One of my all time favorite shows included Marauder.  Earth Crisis was headlining a tour with Madball and Marauder which would have been fun enough on it's own, but Mushmouth (Out To Win) was the opener and absolutely stole the show.  Mushmouth became one of my all time favorite bands as a result, and I actually recently found their demo cassette I bought at that show. 
Never heard of mushmouth. They from Philly?

Madball will obviously make an appearance. But it will be a while. Might go to 3 picks a day. At least until Im at the good stuff 

99 Biohazard- We're only gonna die

This is the only cover song that I plan on including (at least that I know of. Until Tim posted the metro in new wave countdown, I didnt know Alkaline Trio covered it)

Biohazard was a Brooklyn band who was already on the scene when I got into it. They are OK. More memorable for making songs with Onyx than anything else. 

I was at a Social Distortion show at Irving Plaza and Evan was married to Tera Patrick at the time. they werw both there and all I can say is wow. Stood next to her for a second. very good looking girl. 
Quick intro since Sheer Terror summoned me.  I was one of the early death metal guys in NYC in the early 80s. I had a fanzine and record label. I still write for metal magazines from time to time. I'm pretty well known in the metal scene, but I also saw quite a bit of hardcore shows back in the day.

To be honest though, a hardcore show wasn't the safest place for a long-hair guy to attend. We were always getting maced and attacked by the skins. I was at a show one time when a skinhead stabbed a guy in the heart that was standing next to me. I was at L'Amours the night a bunch of skins attacked a metal guy and broke his neck by giving him a piledriver. I've seen it all. One time at Club Bene in NJ, I was in the middle of about a 200 person riot between skins and metalheads. Anyway, I digress.

I'll add some comments to this thread for any bands I might know.

Biohazard - My friends from Pittsburgh, Eviction (crossover thash/hardcore band) wanted to play in NY.  I booked them with Biohazard at one of those Sunday matinee shows at CBGBs. I'll be honest, I hated the Biohazard guys personally. They attended some parties that I went to in NJ. I thought they were very cocky and douchey. Anyway, they had a good following, so I booked them. I never liked their music, but holy hell Tera Patrick was hot, especially in person.

A bunch of years ago on VH1,  there was that reality supergroup with Evan, Sebastian Bach, Ted Nugent, Scott Ian and Jason Bonham called Damnocracy. The band wasn’t very good, but there was a lot of gratuitous footage of Tera.
When I worked for Atlantic Records, I used to babysit Sebastian's kid, Paris,whenever he brought him into the office. The little kid used to travel with drum sticks. I wonder if he ended up playing when he was older. I couldn't stand Skid Row and that kind of music. The kid was cool though. 

Led Zeppelin was on Atlantic Records. I never met John's kid, Jason, so I don't know if he was cool or not, but holy hell, the rest of that Damnocracy band are full of some douchers. Some really annoying outgoing characters. I wonder how they tolerated each other. 

When I worked for Atlantic Records, I used to babysit Sebastian's kid, Paris,whenever he brought him into the office. The little kid used to travel with drum sticks. I wonder if he ended up playing when he was older. I couldn't stand Skid Row and that kind of music. The kid was cool though. 

Led Zeppelin was on Atlantic Records. I never met John's kid, Jason, so I don't know if he was cool or not, but holy hell, the rest of that Damnocracy band are full of some douchers. Some really annoying outgoing characters. I wonder how they tolerated each other. 
Nice.

As for Damnocracy, they sure didn't seem to like each other even on screen. But money talks, so I'm sure that did it for them. IIRC, Jason seemed to be the only non-doosh of the bunch.

97 Leeway- Be Loud

Definitely one of those crossover bands. Are they thrash, are the HC?

Despite being active during my time in the scene, Leeway is a band I never went to see live. A quick look on youtube shows that they are still playing. So I still have a shot. 
Mark of the Squealer.  Snitches get stitches!  Leeway was from neighborhood, Astoria Queens.  My friend was part of their Leeway crew. I saw them plenty of times back in the day.  I'm playing their record right now and my puppy is barking like crazy, so two paws up? Or it's irritating him. One or the other.

Nice.

As for Damnocracy, they sure didn't seem to like each other even on screen. But money talks, so I'm sure that did it for them. IIRC, Jason seemed to be the only non-doosh of the bunch.
I'm not surprised. I've already mentioned that I hated Evan. Sebastian Bach was brash and annoying. Those Anthrax guys were really annoying in person, too. I've never met Ted, but I am definitely not a fan of the guy.

I hope the CroMags and Agnostic Front are on this top 100 list.

I'm not surprised. I've already mentioned that I hated Evan. Sebastian Bach was brash and annoying. Those Anthrax guys were really annoying in person, too. I've never met Ted, but I am definitely not a fan of the guy.

I hope the CroMags and Agnostic Front are on this top 100 list.
Not a huge hardcore fan but The Age of Quarrel is one of my favorite albums. 

Not a huge hardcore fan but The Age of Quarrel is one of my favorite albums. 
It's one of my favorite albums, too.  I got to see the CroMags so many times in NY and even a few times here in Texas.

One day I hopped on a train in Queens to go to work in the city and I saw Doug Holland of the CroMags get on the train. He had been partying all night and I think he was still a little tipsy. We started talking and he asked me if I was going to see them in Long Island that night opening up for Destruction (thrash band from Germany). I said yes and that I was planning to interview Destruction for my fanzine. He said that he would put me on the guest list.

I thought he would never remember me, but there I was on the guest list that night. I interviewed both the CroMags and Destruction. Doug was a super nice guy. So was their singer John Joseph. I hung out with John after a show in Houston recently. Harley on the other hand was kind of scary back in the day. He had a reputation for hanging out with some scary people (some scary rumors about them). I used to see Harley often at the Atlantic Records building. He used to hang out with Mike Alago, the A&R guy that signed Metallica to Elektra records. Mike was full out of the closet and had a crush on me, but that's a whole other story (I used to work in the royalties department and Mike would request that I specifically bring up their million dollar checks).

Not sure if this will work, but here is a pic of me and Doug that night of the show in 1989

https://ibb.co/M8QGwvT

It's one of my favorite albums, too.  I got to see the CroMags so many times in NY and even a few times here in Texas.

One day I hopped on a train in Queens to go to work in the city and I saw Doug Holland of the CroMags get on the train. He had been partying all night and I think he was still a little tipsy. We started talking and he asked me if I was going to see them in Long Island that night opening up for Destruction (thrash band from Germany). I said yes and that I was planning to interview Destruction for my fanzine. He said that he would put me on the guest list.

I thought he would never remember me, but there I was on the guest list that night. I interviewed both the CroMags and Destruction. Doug was a super nice guy. So was their singer John Joseph. I hung out with John after a show in Houston recently. Harley on the other hand was kind of scary back in the day. He had a reputation for hanging out with some scary people (some scary rumors about them). I used to see Harley often at the Atlantic Records building. He used to hang out with Mike Alago, the A&R guy that signed Metallica to Elektra records. Mike was full out of the closet and had a crush on me, but that's a whole other story (I used to work in the royalties department and Mike would request that I specifically bring up their million dollar checks).

Not sure if this will work, but here is a pic of me and Doug that night of the show in 1989

https://ibb.co/M8QGwvT
Um, Harley IS a scary dude. 

75 Mouthpiece- Face Tomorrow

74 Heckle- Ashes

Funny Heckle story: First off, the garage show that featured Good Riddance and Creep Division also had Heckle. With good reason. It was the drummer of Heckles garage, lol. One more band played that night but they come in at 14 so it will be a long wait. 

My dad brought me to California and Arizona after my sophomore year of college. While in Az The offspring were playing and group number 14 was on tour with Heckle, BUT got a call to open for Offspring which of course they took. A friend of mine was friends with Steve, lead singer of Heckle so I drop his name and we start talking. I was alone, figured it would be nice to chat with someone. 

Anyway, once the music starts, we start dancing NY HC style. What we didnt know was that the bouncers were in the pit. I look over and the drummer from Heckle is being put in a sleeper hold by one bouncer. So since I consider these guys buddies now, I run up and clock the bouncer in the face. 2 guys that must have played offensive line for ASU pretty much body slam me on my head and then use my head to open the doors to throw me out. Ive been in the show for 2 minutes and tossed. Steve, the singer comes out right after me. He has credentials, I dont. 

He tells me to follow him. Some old dude was taking tickets. He shows his credentials and says Im with him. We run in before anyone is able to check. I didnt want the bouncers to see me again so I spent the rest of the night in the back. 

75 Mouthpiece- Face Tomorrow

74 Heckle- Ashes

Funny Heckle story: First off, the garage show that featured Good Riddance and Creep Division also had Heckle. With good reason. It was the drummer of Heckles garage, lol. One more band played that night but they come in at 14 so it will be a long wait. 

My dad brought me to California and Arizona after my sophomore year of college. While in Az The offspring were playing and group number 14 was on tour with Heckle, BUT got a call to open for Offspring which of course they took. A friend of mine was friends with Steve, lead singer of Heckle so I drop his name and we start talking. I was alone, figured it would be nice to chat with someone. 

Anyway, once the music starts, we start dancing NY HC style. What we didnt know was that the bouncers were in the pit. I look over and the drummer from Heckle is being put in a sleeper hold by one bouncer. So since I consider these guys buddies now, I run up and clock the bouncer in the face. 2 guys that must have played offensive line for ASU pretty much body slam me on my head and then use my head to open the doors to throw me out. Ive been in the show for 2 minutes and tossed. Steve, the singer comes out right after me. He has credentials, I dont. 

He tells me to follow him. Some old dude was taking tickets. He shows his credentials and says Im with him. We run in before anyone is able to check. I didnt want the bouncers to see me again so I spent the rest of the night in the back. 
That's funny. Reminds me of a time my friend got tossed not at L'Amours not even 2 minutes into a CroMags show opening for Slayer. He had never been to a real metal show and got into a fight with some skins when they slammed him. The bouncers literally threw him out the door the same way. I didn't dare hit the bouncers, but I threatened them like a fool and got tossed, too.  Luckily I known at the club and they let me back in. I would have cried if I had missed Slayer during the Reign In Blood tour.

rockaction said:
f'in longhair. 

Jeebus. :lmao:

Christmas! :thumbup:

This thread needs more fanfare like this.

Get it? Fan, oh...I'll show my way izzout. 

By the way, Fates Warning from SPFLD, MA, would have rawked all ya New Yourkers faces off.

I kid, I kid.
I just started growing it at that point. It went down halfway down my back at one point.

Ha, I saw Fates Warning with both John Arch and Ray Alder singing back in those days. Good band.

I just started growing it at that point. It went down halfway down my back at one point.

Ha, I saw Fates Warning with both John Arch and Ray Alder singing back in those days. Good band.
Nice, bud. I didn't know you wrote for the metal scene and created fanzines and whatnot. That's awesome. 

I remember the skin/metal divide sharpening a bit when hardcore got close to metal and vice-versa. Actually, it's a development that would probably take too long for my admittedly limited understanding to describe here. I sort of come of hardcore age around 1988-onward, and always stayed on the punk/glam/trash/thrash metal side of the fence. Liked crossover a bit -- not my favorite, though. I'd rate hardcore last of all those, actually. Thinking about what you wrote a bit upthread -- come to think of it, you're probably one of the guys that got the Cro-Mags reviewed in all of my favorite metal mags.

"Who are these guys?" 

Nice, bud. I didn't know you wrote for the metal scene and created fanzines and whatnot. That's awesome. 

I remember the skin/metal divide sharpening a bit when hardcore got close to metal and vice-versa. Actually, it's a development that would probably take too long for my admittedly limited understanding to describe here. I sort of come of hardcore age around 1988-onward, and always stayed on the punk/glam/trash/thrash metal side of the fence. Liked crossover a bit -- not my favorite, though. I'd rate hardcore last of all those, actually. Thinking about what you wrote a bit upthread -- come to think of it, you're probably one of the guys that got the Cro-Mags reviewed in all of my favorite metal mags.

"Who are these guys?" 
I started a zine because I wanted to know more about the bands I liked. Zines were the only way to get info on underground bands at the time because mainstream mags wouldn't include them.  I also did a lot of tape trading at the time that was another way to get the buzz going. Starting a zine changed my life at the time. I basically got to know every underground band, I never had to pay for records again, and I got into almost every show for free. Soon I became friends with a lot of the bands and I would get advanced copies of a ton of a lot of records..

I then asked my friend if he wanted to give up his zine and start a record label with me. He agreed. We were the same size as Relapse back then. You could call them a rival. In our prime, we got close to becoming the American partner to a couple of big European labels, but it fell through. We had the rep, but not the capital. In fact, I was working for Atlantic Records at the same time. I got called into my boss's office one day and was warned not do any work on my label on Atlantic's time. That seemed fair, but they didn't like that we were charting higher on many of the college stations and that some in the company would consider my label to be a conflict of interest. Anyway, a year later I having some weird life crisis at 27 and decided to give up my label and job at Atlantic to go back to school for an accounting degree. I also gave up on some freelance writing for European magazines like Hard Rock and Metal Hammer.

I still write for a couple of metal magazines in my spare time. I do it for free. I published a book, too, about the metal scene in the 80s and 90s.  I have a million stories about those days. Any time I go to a show, people come up to me and ask me to tell them stories. It's pretty funny, I have had people ask me for autographs. I took this one girl to a show in Austin a few years ago and I had a some people people come up to me and ask are you the guy that used to run that label? Then they would buy me drinks and just want to talk. The girl asked me, does this happen all of the time? I said, yeah, kind of. For the most part, I enjoy it, but sometimes it can be a bit awkward.

As far as crossover bands go, I wasn't a huge fan per se, but I saw Suicidal a bunch of times. Corrosion of Conformity. The Crumbsuckers, Sick of it All. Cryptic Slaughter. DRI, etc. I was more of a death metal guy although I did appreciate hardcore. It just wasn't that welcoming of a genre for metalheads. The skins used to go to the metal shows to start fights with us. They would also wait for us outside after shows. On a few occasions, I would have to sprint out the door after shows to avoid beatings. Crazy times. The movie SLC Punk reminds me a bit of those days.

I started a zine because I wanted to know more about the bands I liked. Zines were the only way to get info on underground bands at the time because mainstream mags wouldn't include them.  I also did a lot of tape trading at the time that was another way to get the buzz going. Starting a zine changed my life at the time. I basically got to know every underground band, I never had to pay for records again, and I got into almost every show for free. Soon I became friends with a lot of the bands and I would get advanced copies of a ton of a lot of records..

I then asked my friend if he wanted to give up his zine and start a record label with me. He agreed. We were the same size as Relapse back then. You could call them a rival. In our prime, we got close to becoming the American partner to a couple of big European labels, but it fell through. We had the rep, but not the capital. In fact, I was working for Atlantic Records at the same time. I got called into my boss's office one day and was warned not do any work on my label on Atlantic's time. That seemed fair, but they didn't like that we were charting higher on many of the college stations and that some in the company would consider my label to be a conflict of interest. Anyway, a year later I having some weird life crisis at 27 and decided to give up my label and job at Atlantic to go back to school for an accounting degree. I also gave up on some freelance writing for European magazines like Hard Rock and Metal Hammer.

I still write for a couple of metal magazines in my spare time. I do it for free. I published a book, too, about the metal scene in the 80s and 90s.  I have a million stories about those days. Any time I go to a show, people come up to me and ask me to tell them stories. It's pretty funny, I have had people ask me for autographs. I took this one girl to a show in Austin a few years ago and I had a some people people come up to me and ask are you the guy that used to run that label? Then they would buy me drinks and just want to talk. The girl asked me, does this happen all of the time? I said, yeah, kind of. For the most part, I enjoy it, but sometimes it can be a bit awkward.

As far as crossover bands go, I wasn't a huge fan per se, but I saw Suicidal a bunch of times. Corrosion of Conformity. The Crumbsuckers, Sick of it All. Cryptic Slaughter. DRI, etc. I was more of a death metal guy although I did appreciate hardcore. It just wasn't that welcoming of a genre for metalheads. The skins used to go to the metal shows to start fights with us. They would also wait for us outside after shows. On a few occasions, I would have to sprint out the door after shows to avoid beatings. Crazy times. The movie SLC Punk reminds me a bit of those days.
yeah, but how long is your hair now?

73 Unwritten Law- WW 3

I know UL is not a hardcore band. But dont tell me this is not a hardcore song. UL was great on this album and Oz Factor. Then they changed. So much that they have their own 20th century best of album. Never thought I would see a punk band with that. 

He is a peloton riding accountant . How long do you think it is
Retired accountant, but after this market meltdown, I might have to go back to working.  Btw, It's pretty damn short, but we'll see after this stay-in-shelter order is over. I might come out looking like Tom Hanks in Cast Away.

You ever cross paths with Anthony Martini from E Town Concrete?  HUGE ETC fan (expecting at least top 25 here, but IDK Acer's tastes yet) and I didn't realize that basically since E Town stopped making music, he got heavily involved on the management side - mostly with rappers, and has since shifted to having his own label.  He's apparently pretty successful, just listened to him on Jamey Jasta's podcast recently.

You ever cross paths with Anthony Martini from E Town Concrete?  HUGE ETC fan (expecting at least top 25 here, but IDK Acer's tastes yet) and I didn't realize that basically since E Town stopped making music, he got heavily involved on the management side - mostly with rappers, and has since shifted to having his own label.  He's apparently pretty successful, just listened to him on Jamey Jasta's podcast recently.
I just watch their "This is Hardcore" set the other day after the Bad Luck 13 chat  ;)   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_uhS1Z4TAw

@AcerFC there is a Mushmouth set from that show too...

No, I left I NY in 94 (the day after the Rangers parade). I think his records came out in the mid-90s.

On the list. Unfortunate for you, they come sooner rather than later. 

I had their demo. Got it at a show in asbury Park. I liked the demo better than anything else they did

My all time favorite hardcore album is from an LINY band that was one and done with albums... every song was a banger and the album has held up very well.  I am not going to spotlight them here, but I am very curious if they make your list. 

ETA:  :popcorn:

My all time favorite hardcore album is from an LINY band that was one and done with albums... every song was a banger and the album has held up very well.  I am not going to spotlight them here, but I am very curious if they make your list. 

ETA:  :popcorn:
Just took a look at my list. Few LI bands, but none that only put out 1 album. I feel bad now that I missed your favorite album. 

Users who are viewing this thread