What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (4 Viewers)

Ok boys .. somewhat of an underdog this week, up against the CLE DEF tonight (18pts and counting)

I don’t have great options, but options nonetheless.

DEN V LAC (don’t know what to think about this game at all)

LV @ IND (Vegas on a defensive tear, but going on the road - Indy offense should be healthy. This game scares me. I feel like either team “should win” and there will be a lot of points)

CHI V ATL (constipated offense meets a good defense in a soggy field)

LFG brahs. Championship week. Give me your thoughts

Ok boys .. somewhat of an underdog this week, up against the CLE DEF tonight (18pts and counting)

LV @ IND (Vegas on a defensive tear, but going on the road - Indy offense should be healthy. This game scares me. I feel like either team “should win” and there will be a lot of points)

I’ve spent way more time on this question over the past few days than I should admit to anyone, but everything’s on the line this week and I can have a life again in the offseason. What I’ve come up with is that there’s a real log jam of a half dozen or so DSTs with almost identical value, and no clear cut obvious choice.

Rams, Chicago, Jacksonville, Broncos, Houston, Vegas seemed like a close tier to me until I gave it more thought. The advantages are slight, but I currently rank them:

Chicago
Vegas
Houston
Rams

Tier break

Jacksonville
Broncos

They all have question marks, but any one of them could go off. If Will Anderson and Cashman come back, then I would place Houston at the top of this list. I don’t think Anderson will be back in time though.

Hate that Vegas is on the road against a team that gets hot. Hate that Chicago is eliminated from the playoffs and playing against a run first ball control offense with a scrappy game manager at qb.

I’d move the Broncos off the list due to the uncertainties at QB and Jacksonville’s too banged up on offense to keep their defense off the field.

I have the same choices. Keep flip flopping.

Like you I have no feel for the DEN D at home vs. LAC. LAC played well against BUF and I wonder if the whole R. Wilson thing sends that team into the tank. Probably ranking that option at the bottom.

Love how LV is playing. Don't live the high O/U and the fact that LV is an underdog. Also looks like Taylor and Moss will be back. If Pittman is also active, that concerns me.

Chicago had been quite disruptive on D and then laid an egg last week. CHI is tough against the run, but is one of the worst at giving up receptions to RBs. Who is coming to town? Bijan Robinson.

Will be going back and forth until Sunday until there is a true nugget of insight I can put a stake in the ground on.

I’ve spent way more time on this question over the past few days than I should admit to anyone, but everything’s on the line this week and I can have a life again in the offseason. What I’ve come up with is that there’s a real log jam of a half dozen or so DSTs with almost identical value, and no clear cut obvious choice.

Rams, Chicago, Jacksonville, Broncos, Houston, Vegas seemed like a close tier to me until I gave it more thought. The advantages are slight, but I currently rank them:

Chicago
Vegas
Houston
Rams

Tier break

Jacksonville
Broncos

They all have question marks, but any one of them could go off. If Will Anderson and Cashman come back, then I would place Houston at the top of this list. I don’t think Anderson will be back in time though.

Hate that Vegas is on the road against a team that gets hot. Hate that Chicago is eliminated from the playoffs and playing against a run first ball control offense with a scrappy game manager at qb.

I’d move the Broncos off the list due to the uncertainties at QB and Jacksonville’s too banged up on offense to keep their defense off the field.

Yeah, if LV was home it would be a no brainer. I always pick Minshew games wrong too. He has looked horrible lately, but at home and with Pittman back, watch him throw for 300.

Chicago
Vegas
Houston
Rams

Tier break

Jacksonville
Broncos

Yeah, if LV was home it would be a no brainer. I always pick Minshew games wrong too. He has looked horrible lately, but at home and with Pittman back, watch him throw for 300.
Could completely see that scenario happening. My current plan is to start Las Vegas if Pittman is not playing and to start Chicago if he is playing.

I think Pittman is going to play, so Chicago is currently in my DST slot.

Like you I have no feel for the DEN D at home vs. LAC. LAC played well against BUF and I wonder if the whole R. Wilson thing sends that team into the tank. Probably ranking that option at the bottom.

Love how LV is playing. Don't live the high O/U and the fact that LV is an underdog. Also looks like Taylor and Moss will be back. If Pittman is also active, that concerns me.

Chicago had been quite disruptive on D and then laid an egg last week. CHI is tough against the run, but is one of the worst at giving up receptions to RBs. Who is coming to town? Bijan Robinson.

Will be going back and forth until Sunday until there is a true nugget of insight I can put a stake in the ground on.
DEN just became more attractive. Both K. Allen and J. Power are OUT.

I don't know what effect benching Wilson will have on the Broncos psyche. At least last year he seemed to be pretty unpopular on the team, not sure if that continued this year or not. So if you didn't like Russ then you probably are glad to see him go. Plus if you want to have a future in Denver, pleasing the HC that will be there next year is more important than any concern about missing the playoffs this year - since it's pretty much a foregone conclusion they won't make it even if they do win their final two games.

Reactions: J R

Chicago
Vegas
Houston
Rams

Tier break

Jacksonville
Broncos

I'm looking at a similar list of choices and bullish on Chicago (trending up since the Sweat trade) but a little concerned about their injuries on offense.

I'm not sure Wilson getting benched hurts Denver.

CHI or DEN :wall:
Here's a nice little nugget on the CHI D:

The Bears traded for Montez Sweat on 10/31. He had less than a week to get acclimated for Week 10.From Week 11 on the Bears defense has ranked:- 1st in EPA/play- 1st in Dropback EPA- 9th in Rush EPAThey get the Falcons offense in Chicago this week with an o/u of 38 pts.

The one weakness I see is Bijan receptions out of the backfield. However, this is an indoor team playing in near freezing temps.

The Bears traded for Montez Sweat on 10/31. He had less than a week to get acclimated for Week 10.From Week 11 on the Bears defense has ranked:- 1st in EPA/play- 1st in Dropback EPA- 9th in Rush EPAThey get the Falcons offense in Chicago this week with an o/u of 38 pts.

The one weakness I see is Bijan receptions out of the backfield. However, this is an indoor team playing in near freezing temps.
Don’t worry, Arthur Smith will find a way to keep Bijan off of the field, as he usually does, which will minimize that strength.

Your post made me put Chicago back into my starting DST slot, which I change multiple times a day because I just can’t make up my mind. Currently between Chicago and Denver, after the news of Keenan and Palmer both being ruled out of the Denver/chargers game. That game looks much more appealing now, and who knows, Stidham might be a net positive for the broncos field position.

Don’t worry, Arthur Smith will find a way to keep Bijan off of the field, as he usually does, which will minimize that strength.

Your post made me put Chicago back into my starting DST slot, which I change multiple times a day because I just can’t make up my mind. Currently between Chicago and Denver, after the news of Keenan and Palmer both being ruled out of the Denver/chargers game. That game looks much more appealing now, and who knows, Stidham might be a net positive for the broncos field position.
I can’t get over what they let the Patriots do to them. Last week.

Bailey Zappe and friends dropped 26 on them? I just can’t do it. Leaning Vegas. Chicago just got scooped up.

I can’t get over what they let the Patriots do to them. Last week.

Bailey Zappe and friends dropped 26 on them? I just can’t do it. Leaning Vegas. Chicago just got scooped up.
That and what just came out tonight on R. Wilson. DEN asked him to adjust contract in October or they may bench him.

I'd think that locker room is a tad annoyed with ownership at this point. Not sure I'd want to give 110% Sunday.

Like so many here, I have been debating Denver or the Bears (I also considered the Colts), and I had settled on the Bears at home on a messy field. However , now I am considering the Panthers if Lawrence doesn’t play. That may be a stretch though, but something to think about.

Like so many here, I have been debating Denver or the Bears (I also considered the Colts), and I had settled on the Bears at home on a messy field. However , now I am considering the Panthers if Lawrence doesn’t play. That may be a stretch though, but something to think about.
Sometimes with defenses we overthink the circumstances and don't look at the facts. We create a narrative to make us feel good. I am far from anyone that should be giving advise, but the Panthers defense just isn't good for fantasy purposes. They have hit double digits once and been less then 5 points in 10 of 15 games. Week 17 is on the road? Pass

Sometimes with defenses we overthink the circumstances and don't look at the facts. We create a narrative to make us feel good. I am far from anyone that should be giving advise, but the Panthers defense just isn't good for fantasy purposes. They have hit double digits once and been less then 5 points in 10 of 15 games. Week 17 is on the road? Pass
Big agree. I get that the Jags are in a major injury situation on offense, and that was before the Lawrence being out news, but starting the DST of the team with the lowest number of wins in the NFL in your fantasy final is the definition of “getting cute.” I could see it with even a slightly below average team against the depleted Jags, but this is the worst team in the league.

Anyone who starts the fricken’ Panthers tomorrow is really asking for trouble.

I'm in the same Defense boat. Have had my lineup set all week except which Defense to start. Trying to decide between

Phil vs Arizona. When I picked up the Philly D last week, figured they were a slam dunk against the Giants and Devito. Huge disappointment, not sure I trust them even against Arizona, their Defense has not been impressive this year. Still, Philly playing at home, looking to hold onto the NFC East title, against the Cards, could be a contender.

Jax vs Carolina. Thought this was a decent matchup originally. But after Bryce Young went off last week, and with Lawrence out, and the Jags Defense in a downward spiral the 2nd half of the season, I'm having 2nd thoughts. This game scares me the most, especially because so many people are picking the Jags D.

LVR @ Indy - Raiders D has been on fire the last 2 weeks. But Indy has both Taylor and Pittman back, and is at home. Still kind of tempting going against Minshew.

Houston vs Tenn - Houston D was impressive 2 weeks ago against the Titans. They have a good run D, and were able to stop Henry in his tracks. Houston playing for a playoff spot, with CJ Stroud back on Offense...could be a good play.

For next week. I preemptively picked up Green Bay for their NYG matchup and have them paired with the Jets.

But it all might be for nought, as if I don’t win tonight with a little offensive production I will be out of the playoff race.

Other notable defenses that may be available.

I have Atlanta and Pitt in a league I’m in the playoffs and Pitt has NE Thursday

NE has Pitt on Thursday and plays good defense

Minnesota @ LV

New Orleans @ Car if they were dropped for the Detroit game

Houston @ NYJ for reasons mentioned above.

Detroit has been flailing defensively but playing for it all lately to smash the division. Could be a bounce back against Chicago.
Pburgh D should dominate in what should be a low scoring game.
NE D may not be so bad either. Three straight games of < 10 points.

Raiders on Fire Yes. But Rams have something to play for. Everything is set but my D (And of course I got here with Gibbs/Montgomery and Goff so we'll see what tonight brings

Anyone: Rams or Raiders?

Leaning CHI D in some snow and cold against ATL.
Me too, in both of my championship matchups. Settled on Chicago by a hair over Houston and Denver, which feel like the three best of the widely available ones. We ride together!
Not feeling super confident but can't start DEN D after the Wilson mess and have a hard time starting the LV D on the road with Indy having Pittman and J. Taylor back.

Just hoping for some sloppy stupidness from ATL away from the dome.

Me too, in both of my championship matchups. Settled on Chicago by a hair over Houston and Denver, which feel like the three best of the widely available ones. We ride together!
Leaning Chicago as well over Houston...
Houston seems to be a good play now that Will Anderson Jr. is back.

Cashman is back too and a star player. But is that enough to overcome their other injuries, especially on the DLine? How much will Greenard’s and Collin’s absences hold this DST back?

I just like Chicago a little more.

Cashman is back too and a star player. But is that enough to overcome their other injuries, especially on the DLine? How much will Greenard’s and Collin’s absences hold this DST back?

Chi over Jax?

Started Houston via a coin flip... :pickle:

Had Jacksonville in all week until this morning. Decided Denver at home was better. Arguably my worst year ever in regards to fantasy defense. It's just been a brutal season for me.

Started Houston via a coin flip... :pickle:
Nice job! You should keep that coin because it’s now a lucky coin, since Houston scored double Chicago’s total. I watched them blow up on my bench, but it all worked out in the end since I won both of my leagues in blowouts.

Cheers to all of you in this thread who help me to figure out defenses to stream year after year. See you all next season!

Users who are viewing this thread