What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (3 Viewers)

I'm currently holding the Browns and Chiefs, but I have to admit I'm not feeling super-confident.

Considering picking up some combination of Bucs, Jets, Saints, Colts (and/or keeping one of mine)

Dunno if I'm overthinking it or what; really in a must-win matchup this week. Maybe I'm just too accustomed to streaming DSTs.

I'm currently holding the Browns and Chiefs, but I have to admit I'm not feeling super-confident.

Considering picking up some combination of Bucs, Jets, Saints, Colts (and/or keeping one of mine)

Dunno if I'm overthinking it or what; really in a must-win matchup this week. Maybe I'm just too accustomed to streaming DSTs.
Have the same dilemma and you're not crazy. I think the issue is that there are so many bad QBs that you probably can stream ROS based on who's playing the Browns, Jets, Giants, Pats, Panthers, Bengals and maybe the Cards, Vikings, Bears and Commanders. That's nearly a third of the entire league!

Have the same dilemma and you're not crazy. I think the issue is that there are so many bad QBs that you probably can stream ROS based on who's playing the Browns, Jets, Giants, Pats, Panthers, Bengals and maybe the Cards, Vikings, Bears and Commanders. That's nearly a third of the entire league!
I’ve never seen a season in the more than two decades I’ve been playing fantasy where there were so many streaming options on a weekly basis so late in the year. Didn’t seem to be the case a month ago, but QBs went down or flamed out and here we are.

You said it really well: there’s a ton of back up QBs to pick up a DST to tee off against. A couple of weeks ago I was really sweating playoff stashes or ROS combos, but now I’m not as concerned and realize it will be extremely hard to get wrong down the stretch. I guess the only negative is that your playoff opponents are all but guaranteed to get a good DST too.

Personally, I’m doing what I have to do to target the Giants, Jets and Carolina as many times as possible (in that order of priority).

I’ve never seen a season in the more than two decades I’ve been playing fantasy where there were so many streaming options on a weekly basis so late in the year. Didn’t seem to be the case a month ago, but QBs went down or flamed out and here we are.

You said it really well: there’s a ton of back up QBs to pick up a DST to tee off against. A couple of weeks ago I was really sweating playoff stashes or ROS combos, but now I’m not as concerned and realize it will be extremely hard to get wrong down the stretch. I guess the only negative is that your playoff opponents are all but guaranteed to get a good DST too.

Personally, I’m doing what I have to do to target the Giants, Jets and Carolina as many times as possible (in that order of priority).
Saints have Carolina week 14 and Giants week 15, both @ home fwiw.

Playing the odds and QB matchups, this week I got Jax at home vs Cincinnati and Tampa at home vs Carolina.
Picked up Jags for week 17 at home against Panthers. Didn't plan on starting them until then. This week at home against Browning is tempting. Monday night. Dolphins against Washington in lineup but Howell can put points up. I might flip a coin.

Struggling with holding the CLE D.

Not starting them this week (I'm starting MIA) and next week they face JAX.

I'd like to hold them for matchups in week 15 (CHI) and 17 (NYJ). However, Miami satisfies the week 15 need (vs NYJ) and I see D's on the waiver wire in PHI (vs AZ) and CHI (vs ATL) that could work there.

I'd like to drop the CLE D to help me clinch the #1 seed next week and GB D (@NYG) is sitting there. Also, tempted to pick up D'Ernest Johnson as well with Etienne banged up.

Ugh.

Really considering the Bears defense for its recent success and intriguing playoff schedule (@CLE,ARI,ATL). For guys who know defenses, are they legit enough to start over Dallas and their brutal playoff schedule (@BUF,@MIA,DET)

With the upcoming schedule combined with last night’s stinker, is it time to drop the Cowboys Defense?
I was thinking that too, but our league combines DST with kicker and that Dallas combo is too good to pass up.
Yeah, never heard of this either. Interesting.

I'd rather not clog up a roster spot with a defense that I'm not gonna use. The only week I can see using them is Week 17 against the Lions and even that coould easily go the other way seeing what Seattle did last night.

There are too many bad QBs this year so the matchup plays are plentiful. I also have Houston rostered with their nice playoff schedule.

A few owners wanted to ditch kickers entirely and a few still wanted them so we decided to just blend them with the D since that's the other somewhat of a crap shoot position that people don't spend time and effort researching. It's actually been kind of fun to not have to juggle two starting positions and bench spots.

Juggling between Atlanta versus the hapless Jets offenses and Pittsburgh who is now healthy and showed some life last week versus Arizona.

Pitt has NE next week which is a plus.

Was going to hold them both but have a questionable player for Sunday so may have to drop one.

My gut says to just roll with Atlanta against the jets who give up points and worry about next week next week.

With the upcoming schedule combined with last night’s stinker, is it time to drop the Cowboys Defense?
I was thinking that too, but our league combines DST with kicker and that Dallas combo is too good to pass up.
Yeah, never heard of this either. Interesting.

I'd rather not clog up a roster spot with a defense that I'm not gonna use. The only week I can see using them is Week 17 against the Lions and even that coould easily go the other way seeing what Seattle did last night.

There are too many bad QBs this year so the matchup plays are plentiful. I also have Houston rostered with their nice playoff schedule.
Agreed mostly about defense clogging up roster. This is the time of year I'll roster up to 3 defenses to prepare for playoffs.

Juggling between Atlanta versus the hapless Jets offenses and Pittsburgh who is now healthy and showed some life last week versus Arizona.

Was going to hold them both but have a questionable player for Sunday so may have to drop one.

My gut says to just roll with Atlanta against the jets who give up points and worry about next week next week.
I'd lean Atlanta. Murray is actually capable of something while the NY Jets QB is not.

and don't forget..... Atlanta defense plays Carolina in Week 15 and Chicago week 17!

Have Baltimore on bye with Tampa currently in my lineup. Also have Miami, Atlanta and the Chargers available to pick up.

Really struggling in a must win game for me.

Have Baltimore on bye with Tampa currently in my lineup. Also have Miami, Atlanta and the Chargers available to pick up.

Really struggling in a must win game for me.
Have Baltimore and put a bid in for Atlanta. Got them. Dropped them for Indy. Dropped Indy for TB. And now I’m back starting Atlanta vs my jets like my original plan. Atlanta has a fairly good upcoming schedule. Hope that’s helpful lol.

and don't forget..... Atlanta defense plays Carolina in Week 15 and Chicago week 17!
I’m just happy I finally played a defense that scored double digits in quite some time.

Scored 18.5 in my scoring.

Think I'll use the Rams DST for the first time this week. The Browns stayed out West and Joe Flacco is getting the start with DTR in the protocol.

This was pretty bleak most of the day but back to back sacks + a safety put them into double digits

had Colts in earlier in the week and swapped them with the Packers on the roster bc of next week's matchup

i am a 40-50 year jet fan and 2-3 weeks ago i recognized that grabbing every defense that plays the jets the rest of the way is worth a rb pretty much. i made some tough rooster decisions, but have miami, washington, houston and atlanta roostered. falcons scored 15 this week. think miami was 22 last week with the fail mary. just an fyi if you are trying to pre plan for the playoffs.

Who are people targeting for Week 14? I had been thinking GB vs NYG, but news that Tyrod might be back has me reconsidering, though it's not like they were the '07 Pats (or even the '07 Giants) with him under center.

Houston (NYJ) is the obvious other candidate. Not as good a D as GB, but per @Chemical X, hard to bet against any team playing the Jets no matter which of their crappy QBs is under center

Who are people targeting for Week 14? I had been thinking GB vs NYG, but news that Tyrod might be back has me reconsidering, though it's not like they were the '07 Pats (or even the '07 Giants) with him under center.

Houston (NYJ) is the obvious other candidate. Not as good a D as GB, but per @Chemical X, hard to bet against any team playing the Jets no matter which of their crappy QBs is under center
Seems like any D playing the Jets is a good choice.

Houston has been pretty up and down. They did well vs the Broncos this week and a decent 2/3 before that so I'd probably trust them vs the Jets.

I picked up the Saints as they have weeks 14/Car and 15/NYG, but it seems like the Saints have been pretty meh for a while now so I may pivot. I'd probably go Houston or Indy.

Last edited:
Struggling with holding the CLE D.

Not starting them this week (I'm starting MIA) and next week they face JAX.

I'd like to hold them for matchups in week 15 (CHI) and 17 (NYJ). However, Miami satisfies the week 15 need (vs NYJ) and I see D's on the waiver wire in PHI (vs AZ) and CHI (vs ATL) that could work there.

I'd like to drop the CLE D to help me clinch the #1 seed next week and GB D (@NYG) is sitting there. Also, tempted to pick up D'Ernest Johnson as well with Etienne banged up.

Ugh.

Dropped CLE.

And now have no regret.

I don't know if it's injuries or what, but the once dominant CLE D isn't so dominant anymore.

For next week. I preemptively picked up Green Bay for their NYG matchup and have them paired with the Jets.

But it all might be for nought, as if I don’t win tonight with a little offensive production I will be out of the playoff race.

Other notable defenses that may be available.

I have Atlanta and Pitt in a league I’m in the playoffs and Pitt has NE Thursday

NE has Pitt on Thursday and plays good defense

Minnesota @ LV

New Orleans @ Car if they were dropped for the Detroit game

Houston @ NYJ for reasons mentioned above.

Detroit has been flailing defensively but playing for it all lately to smash the division. Could be a bounce back against Chicago.

Didn't the Colts D/STs have two blocked punts? MFL showing only one, but I swear there were two.
Yeah. I wasn’t watching the game per se… just the gamecast in the yahoo app.

But I remember it was two blocked punts in a row… because I was upset about it because I was going against Minshew and Moss and knew it put them in good field position.

Yahoo only showing one as well. The first one for a TD.

Looks like the second one was changed to a fumble by the punter that was recovered by a colt (Segun Olubi) so it must have been counted as a fumble recovery.

But it’s odd because this highlight calls it a second blocked punt… and very much looks like a blocked punt.

Either way… it seems the two points are there as a fumble recovery unless your league has different settings for fumbles and punt blocks.

Didn't the Colts D/STs have two blocked punts? MFL showing only one, but I swear there were two.
Yeah. I wasn’t watching the game per se… just the gamecast in the yahoo app.

But I remember it was two blocked punts in a row… because I was upset about it because I was going against Minshew and Moss and knew it put them in good field position.

Yahoo only showing one as well. The first one for a TD.

Looks like the second one was changed to a fumble by the punter that was recovered by a colt (Segun Olubi) so it must have been counted as a fumble recovery.

But it’s odd because this highlight calls it a second blocked punt… and very much looks like a blocked punt.

Either way… it seems the two points are there as a fumble recovery unless your league has different settings for fumbles and punt blocks.
If you watch in slow motion the defender blocked the ball before it hit the punters leg. Crazy

Yeah, blocked punt is 4pts FR is 1
If you watch that clip in slow motion, the rusher literally bats the ball out of the punters hand. So I guess technically it was scored correct.

Hope that doesn’t bite you. Bad luck that the punt blocker was too good.

Wolf of Roto Street
Spent the last hour studying Fantasy Defense (D/ST) Playoff Schedules to prepare for Weeks 15-17

Lots of solid options, but one clear cheat-code, Must-Add, Answer-to-the-Test:

Indianapolis Colts (31%)👇

Literally no Fantasy Defense is hotter that the Colts

In their last four games:

-26, 16, 11, 18 FPs
-17.5 FPPG = most by +5 next closest (MIA)
-21 sacks (!)
-9 takeaways
-3 Def TDs

Incredible... and then look at the schedule & QBs they face🤯

The Colts DST will face:

Week 15 = home vs. Pit (Mitch Trubisky)
Week 16 = in ATL vs. Desmond Ridder
Week 17 = home vs. LV (Aiden O'Connell)

As a cherry on top, Colts = great Week 14 Streamer in Cincy vs. Jake Browning

Zero exaggeration, Colts = league-winning playoff DST

Holding CLE for Week 17 but probably rolling with GB this week and the first two weeks of the playoffs:

14@NYG (1st)Mon 8:15 PM11.86
15TB (19th)1:00 PM11.65
16@Car (3rd)1:00 PM10.95

They've played well the last 5 weeks as a unit, especially when you adjust for the offenses they have faced. Playing great complimentary football and they have a clear path to a Wild Card berth.

DeVito, Mayfield and Young are all susceptible to subpar performances when facing tough defenses who bring pressure. GB has 8 sacks, 5 turnovers and a def TD in their last 3.

I'm locked in to the same position whether I win or lose this week so looking ahead to 15-16-17 I like Layne's Packers pick but I also like the Rams. Playing better in the recent playoff push and after Baltimore in week 14 they have Washington - New Orleans -Giants for the playoffs

For next week. I preemptively picked up Green Bay for their NYG matchup and have them paired with the Jets.

But it all might be for nought, as if I don’t win tonight with a little offensive production I will be out of the playoff race.

Other notable defenses that may be available.

I have Atlanta and Pitt in a league I’m in the playoffs and Pitt has NE Thursday

NE has Pitt on Thursday and plays good defense

Minnesota @ LV

New Orleans @ Car if they were dropped for the Detroit game

Houston @ NYJ for reasons mentioned above.

Detroit has been flailing defensively but playing for it all lately to smash the division. Could be a bounce back against Chicago.
Pburgh D should dominate in what should be a low scoring game.

Users who are viewing this thread