What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Philadelphia Eagles - Philly is now a CORNERback factory! (32 Viewers)

I understand 100% why Eagles fans want to be optimistic about Pickett. But if you haven't spent the last 2 to 3 years watching him, it's easy to blame Matt Canada. Fact is, Pickett himself was as much to blame as Canada was and it downright painful to watch. He's the exact opposite of someone Id want my team to roster as a backup... huge ego without the skill to back it up.

Awful vision, constantly missing wide open receivers and throwing to the wrong guy. Mossing wide open guys, which was even worse when the route trees weren't complicated. He only had 1 good college season... as a 5th year senior vs ACC competition, throwing around 30% of his yards and 40% of his TDs to the best WR in the country who was always open. He won't ever have that luxury in the NFL. Im a Pitt grad and fan, but Pickett was ridiculously fortunate to be in that situation that year.

Yes, Pickett threw for 278 yards in his first start after Canada was fired, which unfortunately was a huge step up. In that game vs the Bengals, the Steelers couldn't finish drives and they scored 16 points. A couple weeks later, Rudolph faced those same Bengals and put up 290 and 2 TDs with the team scoring 34. There are reasons for that.

Im thankful that the Steelers got anything of value for him, and Im even more thankful that I dont have to watch him anymore. He'll need to develop a lot to become a viable backup.

I understand 100% why Eagles fans want to be optimistic about Pickett. But if you haven't spent the last 2 to 3 years watching him, it's easy to blame Matt Canada. Fact is, Pickett himself was as much to blame as Canada was and it downright painful to watch. He's the exact opposite of someone Id want my team to roster as a backup... huge ego without the skill to back it up.

Awful vision, constantly missing wide open receivers and throwing to the wrong guy. Mossing wide open guys, which was even worse when the route trees weren't complicated. He only had 1 good college season... as a 5th year senior vs ACC competition, throwing around 30% of his yards and 40% of his TDs to the best WR in the country who was always open. He won't ever have that luxury in the NFL. Im a Pitt grad and fan, but Pickett was ridiculously fortunate to be in that situation that year.

Yes, Pickett threw for 278 yards in his first start after Canada was fired, which unfortunately was a huge step up. In that game vs the Bengals, the Steelers couldn't finish drives and they scored 16 points. A couple weeks later, Rudolph faced those same Bengals and put up 290 and 2 TDs with the team scoring 34. There are reasons for that.

Im thankful that the Steelers got anything of value for him, and Im even more thankful that I dont have to watch him anymore. He'll need to develop a lot to become a viable backup.

Have you seen the Eagles WRs? He might have that luxury.

So why didn’t the eagles just trade for fields?
Pickett is under contract for 2 more years.
Fields, just 1, then you have to decide if you want to pay your backup QB the 5th year option of $25M+
Pickett already has been labeled a bust, therefore fans won't start "Get Kenny In" or whatever the lame/loser minority of fans that will never accept Hurts as the starter.
Fields, while he *might* be a bust, there is more potential/chance for him to eventually become a starter.

Plus, Pickett is an Eagles fan, that goes a long way, doesn't it?

Trading for Pickett is a non-story. They needed a back-up and got value. All Eagles fans understand, if Pickett is starting 3-4 games, it’ll make last year’s collapse look like a Superb Owl win.

I wanna see:
Reddick get re-negotiated.
Smitty get a new contract extension
Justin Simmons signed for a 2-year deal, that is really a 1-year prove it
All of this right here. Its wild how much talk there is about trading for a backup QB and like, debating how good the backup QB is. This only happens in maybe 3 NFL teams.

I think Howie has some sneaky moves left, including (hopefully) re-signing Reddick.
Smitty will get his, not sure if it'll be this offseason though honestly.
Justin Simmons still not being signed is a good thing for us. I'm sure he was hoping to get a decent contract, but now that the first wave is over, maybe he'll go somewhere where he knows the system....Philadelphia.

If Pickett is good enough to go 2-2 in the middle of the season if Jalen Hurts goes down.....that's good enough for me. Nick Foles aside....I don't think there's many backup QBs that are coming in and taking their team to the playoffs. If Hurts goes down; the season is over.

That being said, with how cheap Justin Fields was moved for...is the Pickett signing an indicator of the O that Moore would like to run? In past years, Hurts and Fields were comprable in their skillset and it would have made sense that, if Hurts was to go down, you'd want his backup to be able to run a good portion of the playbook. With them prioritizing Pickett instead of Fields (and I don't know if they were in on Fields.....but I have to believe they could have gotten him if they wanted) I'd image their playbook is going to be not quite what we'd expect from a Jalen Hurts led offense.

I think fields is also not good so I don't mind not getting him. It's all about the money. Pickett will be cheaper over the next 2 years. Which is most likely the major reason we got him. I'm betting both will be out of the league in 3 years or so.

No chance, guys like Blaine Gabbert, Josh Johnson,Chad Henne, and Brian Hoyer had long careers as back ups. I would bet everything I own they are both still in the league in 3 years unless they have a career ending injury.
Especially Pickett. He's the kind of guy we see as the 2nd or 3rd string for a decade on most teams.

from what I’ve heard Eagles talked to Chi but it was nothing more then seeing what the cost was and didn’t go further. Fields also got to choose after awhile which team he went too. When eagles found out fields intentions to start they clearly had zero interest as they didn’t want another QB controversy. When Pickett became available Eagles jumped at the opportunity to get him. Less cost effective move on contract

Thank Steelers PR team

Fields, just 1, then you have to decide if you want to pay your backup QB the 5th year option of $25M+
Pickett already has been labeled a bust, therefore fans won't start "Get Kenny In" or whatever the lame/loser minority of fans that will never accept Hurts as the starter.
Fields, while he *might* be a bust, there is more potential/chance for him to eventually become a starter.

I do find it funny how Steelers fans are trying to cope here after the Steelers totally messed up their Franchise QB. A lot of the stuff coming out of Pittsburgh sounds like Steelers PR trying to not hold accountability for it. Outside of Pickens and Harris the Steelers didn’t do a good job surrounding him with talent. The TE they got is decent but always seems like he’s hurt. Outside of Pickens, terrible WRs. The OL needs some rebuilding. They also didn’t do anything by giving him a bad OC.

The desperation here by defending the move with getting a QB with attitude and lockerroom issues that one team who paid a fortune in assets and money to get not 2 yrs ago let him walk and willing to pay 35 mil for him to play elsewhere, plus another former 1st round QB who’s barely played starter level football is even more astounding to me. I’d get it if any of the QBs Pittsburg got were better but they really aren’t replacing them with better players at all at this point.

It’s just really weird. I’ve watched enough Steelers games I think I can give an informed enough opinion given my one HS buddy is a huge Steelers fan. I heard him complain more about the OC and not giving KP any help then about Pickett

Last edited:
Trading for Pickett is a non-story. They needed a back-up and got value. All Eagles fans understand, if Pickett is starting 3-4 games, it’ll make last year’s collapse look like a Superb Owl win.

I wanna see:
Reddick get re-negotiated.
Smitty get a new contract extension
Justin Simmons signed for a 2-year deal, that is really a 1-year prove it
All of this right here. Its wild how much talk there is about trading for a backup QB and like, debating how good the backup QB is. This only happens in maybe 3 NFL teams.

I think Howie has some sneaky moves left, including (hopefully) re-signing Reddick.
Smitty will get his, not sure if it'll be this offseason though honestly.
Justin Simmons still not being signed is a good thing for us. I'm sure he was hoping to get a decent contract, but now that the first wave is over, maybe he'll go somewhere where he knows the system....Philadelphia.
The back up QB here always seems to be more popular than the starter. Haas been for yrs, especially with idiots on the radio.

I do find it funny how Steelers fans are trying to cope here after the Steelers totally messed up their Franchise QB. A lot of the stuff coming out of Pittsburgh sounds like Steelers PR trying to not hold accountability for it. Outside of Pickens and Harris the Steelers didn’t do a good job surrounding him with talent. The TE they got is decent but always seems like he’s hurt. Outside of Pickens, terrible WRs. The OL needs some rebuilding. They also didn’t do anything by giving him a bad OC.

The desperation here by defending the move with getting a QB with attitude and lockerroom issues that one team who paid a fortune in assets and money to get not 2 yrs ago let him walk and willing to pay 35 mil for him to play elsewhere, plus another former 1st round QB who’s barely played starter level football is even more astounding to me. I’d get it if any of the QBs Pittsburg got were better but they really aren’t replacing them with better players at all at this point.

It’s just really weird. I’ve watched enough Steelers games I think I can give an informed enough opinion given my one HS buddy is a huge Steelers fan. I heard him complain more about the OC and not giving KP any help then about Pickett
A high percentage of us Steelers fans hated the selection of Pickett at the time. I just hoped that I was wrong. We are ecstatic that the Steelers moved on now, rather than dragging this out -- so instead of setting us back 5 years, it was 2.

A high percentage of us Steelers fans hated the selection of Pickett at the time. I just hoped that I was wrong. We are ecstatic that the Steelers moved on now, rather than dragging this out -- so instead of setting us back 5 years, it was 2.
One man's trash is another man's treasure and all. I'm happy to have him as a backup. Totally different expectations.

On the flip side though, no worries at all replacing him with a guy another team paid like $80M to NOT be on the team?

One man's trash is another man's treasure and all. I'm happy to have him as a backup. Totally different expectations.

On the flip side though, no worries at all replacing him with a guy another team paid like $80M to NOT be on the team?

No worries from me, especially at the price. Pickett's TD numbers are historically bad.

It doesn't sound like you've watched nearly enough games to have an informed opinion. Lots of people complained about Matt Canada and for good reason. But the noise about Pickett was just as loud - he just had a following from his days at Pitt who really, REALLY wanted him to be something he's just not. Canada didn't have the benefit of having that history.

Pickett should have been a 3rd or 4th round pick, not a 1st round pick. That was a historically bad QB draft and the Steelers reached for a guy they were familiar with from college. That would've made expectations on him realistic and kept his ego in check. Throwing 13 TDs in 25 games as an NFL QB in ANY offense doesn't afford someone the right to be handed anything. Fact is, he wouldn't have beaten out Wilson on talent, even at this stage. He probably knew it, too.

I've watched every Pickett snap as the Steelers QB and most of his snaps from his last year at Pitt. Anyone else like me would tell you the same thing. You can believe what you want of course, but Pickett was never good enough to be a franchise QB or anything close to it. Aside from your HS buddy, you'd find that most in Pittsburgh complained just as much about Pickett as they did Canada. Canada's offense was basic, and Pickett couldn't identify the right person to throw to.... lots and lots of video evidence out there of that. The rumors around midseason were that Tomlin wanted to bench Pickett but ownership didn't allow that, which in part led to Canada's firing.

I'm not going to turn this into a Pickett/Fields comparison, not the right thread for that. But when one of them has been far more productive and shown more improvement while being in a lesser organization and with far less supporting talent, it's not really fair to anyways. No matter what Wilson/Fields turns into, Steelers fans are excited because that QB room has 2 QBs who are both better than anyone we've had the last two years.

I'm not a Steelers homer. Kenny Pickett stinks like microwaved shellfish. Good thing he's only being asked to backup Hurts. The problem y'all have is that Hurts generally (not last year) misses a game or two a year. Enjoy Kenny in those moments. You'll be pulling your hair out.

The problem y'all have is that Hurts generally (not last year) misses a game or two a year.
That's not a very accurate statement...at all. Throw out his rookie year and he's started 15, 15, and 17 games. And in 2022, he COULD have played in the games he missed but Philly needed just one win in their last three to secure home field, and justifiably went conservative. With more pressure on the team to win, he likely misses just 1 of those games that year, maybe none.
Nobody is going to claim he's super durable, but it's probably more absurd to claim the opposite

That's not a very accurate statement.

I said he "misses a game or two a year." Three out of four years he's missed a game and one year he missed two. That actually sounds like exactly what I said. I already qualified it by saying he didn't miss one last year, which leaves him "miss[ing] a game or two a year" otherwise.

Sheesh. I never said the guy was injury-prone. Not even close to it.

You’ll be set back 4 yrs. Like I said you have Russ and Fields now. Wilson will get hurt or benched Fields plays just well enough for the Steelers to give him a full year after only to realize he’s not the guy either.

At the same time you didn’t replace any of your QBs with better options. Ok you want to replace a guy? That’s all and good. But you replaced them with similiar or worse options and acting like that’s a win when it’s not

This is what I’m confused about no Steelers fan wants to talk about this part

I said he "misses a game or two a year." Three out of four years he's missed a game and one year he missed two. That actually sounds like exactly what I said. I already qualified it by saying he didn't miss one last year, which leaves him "miss[ing] a game or two a year" otherwise.

Yeah, I'm just not gonna worry too much about the backup QB. Whether Pickett is Backup QB #10 or Backup QB #20, not really a big difference. They aren't going to be good, generally speaking. The cheaper, the better, usually is my take. And Pickett is about as cheap as it comes. I've seen many a non-Eagles fan on here tell me the reason Hurts is good is "Bc Super Team" so I would hope the Super Team can pick up the slack, should he miss a game or 2.

Still got other holes to fill that I'm more concerned with at this point to include: CB, LB, Slot WR, TE2

Still got other holes to fill that I'm more concerned with at this point to include: CB, LB, Slot WR, TE2

Oh yeah. I agree with this. If it's a zero-sum game, then you want those positions settled and they're more worrisome than who your backup QB is. At least you're not stuck with Zach Wilson.

This is what I’m confused about no Steelers fan wants to talk about this part
It's very simple. Even at this stage of his career, Russell Wilson is a more talented QB than Kenny Pickett is and probably ever will be. In an awful year, Wilson threw 26 TDs and 8 INTs in less than a full season. Pickett has thrown 13 TDs in his entire career so far. Wilson doesn't have to be what he used to be, but he raises the bar in Pittsburgh for less than $2M.

Pickett consistently made drive altering bad decisions and his decision making is infinitely worse in the red zone when the game speeds up. His ability to go through progressions is nonexistent just like it was at Pitt. That's why he missed so many open receivers.

Justin Fields has been far better in a far worse situation than Pickett has been in, and he's a year younger despite being drafted a year earlier. He has a better arm than Pickett, better legs than Pickett, and by all accounts a better attitude than Pickett. I mean, the Bears had to trade for Chase Claypool from the Steelers just to try and improve FIelds' weapons lol.

If someone wants to say it's all Canada's fault, so be it. No one has ever said Canada gets no blame. But anyone who has a high opinion of Pickett hasn't watched enough Steelers football to have a worthwhile opinion on him. Regardless of the OC, Rudolph made better and quicker decisions and threw a better ball than Pickett by far, but neither of them were going to last.

It doesn't sound like you've watched nearly enough games to have an informed opinion. Lots of people complained about Matt Canada and for good reason. But the noise about Pickett was just as loud - he just had a following from his days at Pitt who really, REALLY wanted him to be something he's just not. Canada didn't have the benefit of having that history.

Pickett should have been a 3rd or 4th round pick, not a 1st round pick. That was a historically bad QB draft and the Steelers reached for a guy they were familiar with from college. That would've made expectations on him realistic and kept his ego in check. Throwing 13 TDs in 25 games as an NFL QB in ANY offense doesn't afford someone the right to be handed anything. Fact is, he wouldn't have beaten out Wilson on talent, even at this stage. He probably knew it, too.

I've watched every Pickett snap as the Steelers QB and most of his snaps from his last year at Pitt. Anyone else like me would tell you the same thing. You can believe what you want of course, but Pickett was never good enough to be a franchise QB or anything close to it. Aside from your HS buddy, you'd find that most in Pittsburgh complained just as much about Pickett as they did Canada. Canada's offense was basic, and Pickett couldn't identify the right person to throw to.... lots and lots of video evidence out there of that. The rumors around midseason were that Tomlin wanted to bench Pickett but ownership didn't allow that, which in part led to Canada's firing.

I'm not going to turn this into a Pickett/Fields comparison, not the right thread for that. But when one of them has been far more productive and shown more improvement while being in a lesser organization and with far less supporting talent, it's not really fair to anyways. No matter what Wilson/Fields turns into, Steelers fans are excited because that QB room has 2 QBs who are both better than anyone we've had the last two years.
So you think a guy who was just dumped by a team and are ok paying him 5 figure salary because he was a poor teammate and poor player is better for your QB room right now? The other guy who you just got has led the league in TOs since coming into the league.

Look I agree the KP pick was a reach. But to try and defend what the Steelers did to replace KP and the other 2 just doesn’t look right. If Howie Roseman and Jeffrey Lurie just did what the Steelers did much of this fanbase wouldn’t be defending it. They’d being wanting heads on a plate.

Again if you had replaced the former with better options say you added Cousins and maybe a Jacoby Brisset or something I could see an arguement of getting better. But you replaced them with a starter who’s 35yrs old, injury prone and Indy looked at like a good lockerroom guy (something Steelers fans said about Picket mind you), and his former team zero issue paying him 35m to play elsewhere. The other guy only 5 games with more then 250yds passing and 1 over 300 that came this season in 40 games and has missed 11 of possible 51 games to start his career. He has one of the highest fumbling rates of any QB since he came into the league as well.

So please enlighten me how the QB room improved for the Steelers?

Yeah, I'm just not gonna worry too much about the backup QB. Whether Pickett is Backup QB #10 or Backup QB #20, not really a big difference. They aren't going to be good, generally speaking. The cheaper, the better, usually is my take. And Pickett is about as cheap as it comes. I've seen many a non-Eagles fan on here tell me the reason Hurts is good is "Bc Super Team" so I would hope the Super Team can pick up the slack, should he miss a game or 2.

I agree Pickett is also now playing for his childhood team that should be extra motivation to improve. Said all the right things today as well. We still need DB, Safety, #3 WR. #2 TE and a #2 RB help that are more concerning.

I wouldn't call going from Pickett to Wilson/Fields as a step in the right direction. The Steelers still don't have a Superbowl caliber QB on their roster. They seem happy to win 8 or 9 games, and pick in the 15-20 range in draft. Maybe they can get lucky with a QB there. Really, your clock hasn't even started yet, you basically took a step to the side, only now instead of hoping Pickett pans out, you're hoping Fields does and that's where it gets tricky because Fields is the shiny new toy so if he show a flash here or there (which he probably will), then you're left thinking maybe you can develop him (which you probably can't). So there's a better chance you've extended the set back by doing these moves than just sticking with Pickett, sucking bad next year, getting a high pick, drafting a QB and starting over.

So you think a guy who was just dumped by a team and are ok paying him 5 figure salary because he was a poor teammate and poor player is better for your QB room right now? The other guy who you just got has led the league in TOs since coming into the league.

Look I agree the KP pick was a reach. But to try and defend what the Steelers did to replace KP and the other 2 just doesn’t look right. If Howie Roseman and Jeffrey Lurie just did what the Steelers did much of this fanbase wouldn’t be defending it. They’d being wanting heads on a plate.

Again if you had replaced the former with better options say you added Cousins and maybe a Jacoby Brisset or something I could see an arguement of getting better. But you replaced them with a starter who’s 35yrs old, injury prone and Indy looked at like a good lockerroom guy (something Steelers fans said about Picket mind you), and his former team zero issue paying him 35m to play elsewhere. The other guy only 5 games with more then 250yds passing and 1 over 300 that came this season in 40 games and has missed 11 of possible 51 games to start his career. He has one of the highest fumbling rates of any QB since he came into the league as well.

So please enlighten me how the QB room improved for the Steelers?
Yes. I believe that, most of Pittsburgh believes that, and a very stable Pittsburgh front office believes that too. So does damn near everyone you can listen to in the media, anywhere. You don't have to agree.

Wilson is a better short term player than Pickett. Fields has shown a TON more talent and is a much more likely fit long term than Pickett. Fields can be coached to become better with the ball and would be in a situation where he doesn't have to do it all himself. You can't coach Pickett to have arm talent and a football IQ he just doesn't have and has never really shown. Not even at Pitt. Again, you don't have to agree.

It's not about how good/bad WIlson/Fields are or could be. It's about how utterly terrible Pickett has been as both a player and locker room presence. The team responded when Rudolph became the starter. Even Pickett's "good" game after the OC switch wasn't nearly as good as what Rudolph did to the same defense a couple weeks later.

Considering the coaching staff and (lack of) weapons in Chicago, I think Fields needs a year to sit back and watch. He's in a great spot to do that. Pickett probably needs to do that too, but he just doesn't have the same level of talent.

I wouldn't call going from Pickett to Wilson/Fields as a step in the right direction. The Steelers still don't have a Superbowl caliber QB on their roster. They seem happy to win 8 or 9 games, and pick in the 15-20 range in draft. Maybe they can get lucky with a QB there. Really, your clock hasn't even started yet, you basically took a step to the side, only now instead of hoping Pickett pans out, you're hoping Fields does and that's where it gets tricky because Fields is the shiny new toy so if he show a flash here or there (which he probably will), then you're left thinking maybe you can develop him (which you probably can't). So there's a better chance you've extended the set back by doing these moves than just sticking with Pickett, sucking bad next year, getting a high pick, drafting a QB and starting over.
This is a good point. Most of us are not delusional to think that Wilson or Fields are going to win them a Super Bowl. But honestly their defense is probably too good for them to “suck bad” next year regardless of the QB. Fields and Wilson are probably not great long term options but they are both an upgrade to Pickett. Perhaps this does set the franchise back a little but at least now we have hope for next year . That’s worth something.

ETA - anyways going down a rabbit hole in the wrong thread. I’ll stop now.

adding some context, this may have been mentioned already but I read it on two sources this morning, that Howie had interest in drafting Pickett in 2022 (in a later round I assume) and did his research on him extensively back then. so there is a connection there and at least we can be comfortable he is very familiar with Pickett's game. between that and the contract price in the long term, seems understandable why Pickett.

It's a huge step in the right direction whether it works out or not. With Pickett, there's no upside. There's zero chance he's an NFL starting QB. With Fields, he's shown the arm and leg talent to be one, but he needs to develop in a better environment than Chicago. The biggest issue is that the Steelers didn't address Roethlisberger's successor until he was gone, and that year was the worst QB draft in recent memory.

The Steelers have too much talent aside from the QB to have a pick early enough to draft a high end QB. Hoping for a rebound from Wilson for a year is a smart play, because it's not like he showed nothing last year. They had a really nice win streak around midseason and Wilson was being talked up. He sounds like a bit of a douche, and who knows what level of humility the situation in Denver brings out of him during his year in Pittsburgh. If he doesn't pan out, they throw Fields out there to see what kind of talent they can see in him with better coaching and more weapons than he's ever had.

Given how little they're paying the QB room THIS year, it's not a bad investment to run with Fields next year if he shows flashes and improvement this year.

In 2 years, Pickett has shown absolutely nothing. He wasn't worth investing another year of development into.

I would guess (and hope) the White contract is only in the $2-$4M guaranteed range, with plenty of incentives needed to get anywhere hear $7.5M.

White contract details: $4M base ($3.5 guaranteed), the rest is incentives. Reasonable contract to take a shot on him being able to contribute to improved LB play.

It's a huge step in the right direction whether it works out or not. With Pickett, there's no upside. There's zero chance he's an NFL starting QB. With Fields, he's shown the arm and leg talent to be one, but he needs to develop in a better environment than Chicago. The biggest issue is that the Steelers didn't address Roethlisberger's successor until he was gone, and that year was the worst QB draft in recent memory.

The Steelers have too much talent aside from the QB to have a pick early enough to draft a high end QB. Hoping for a rebound from Wilson for a year is a smart play, because it's not like he showed nothing last year. They had a really nice win streak around midseason and Wilson was being talked up. He sounds like a bit of a douche, and who knows what level of humility the situation in Denver brings out of him during his year in Pittsburgh. If he doesn't pan out, they throw Fields out there to see what kind of talent they can see in him with better coaching and more weapons than he's ever had.

Given how little they're paying the QB room THIS year, it's not a bad investment to run with Fields next year if he shows flashes and improvement this year.

In 2 years, Pickett has shown absolutely nothing. He wasn't worth investing another year of development into.

You've already fallen for the shiny new toy.

Hypothetical for you. You're the PIT GM. Russell Wilson starts all 17 games, the Steelers go 9-8. Fields plays maybe 50 plays in mop up duty, puts up similar numbers to his career numbers and a per play basis. What does your QB room look like in 2025?

Both can be true though. Steelers can get out from a bad starter and we can get a cheap backup.

You've already fallen for the shiny new toy.

Hypothetical for you. You're the PIT GM. Russell Wilson starts all 17 games, the Steelers go 9-8. Fields plays maybe 50 plays in mop up duty, puts up similar numbers to his career numbers and a per play basis. What does your QB room look like in 2025?
No, it's not about him being the shiny new toy. New isn't always better, but the bar is so low with Pickett that in this case, it's a LOT better. It's about the fact that Fields has been a much better player in a much worse situation and has shown a lot more ability as both a passer and a runner despite being in an unstable environment with almost no help. And by all accounts, he still showed improvement. There's a reason why 99% of Pittsburgh is happy to see Pickett gone, and it's not because of what they've brought in. It's because of what they got rid of.

In your specific example, it likely depends on what I've seen out of Fields in meetings and on the practice field and what I think his potential would be in 2025. If Wilson starts all year in 2024 and they only finish 9-8, I don't bring WIlson back in 2025 as anything more than an inexpensive veteran backup in that case, but since our entire QB room costs around $5M in 2024, I don't mind investing a year into Fields learning on the sideline and then a year with him leading the offense in 2025 if he shows further development in 2024. Worst case scenario, they're still in a better spot than they would be with Pickett.

But, if the Steelers are scraping by around .500 or eliminated from the playoffs, I'd expect Fields to get some run in the 2nd half of the year or down the stretch. Only way Wilson starts every game is if they're in contention for the playoffs and he's a reason why. He's only a $1.2M sunk cost at that point.

That situation is still a better situation than anything I would expect from dedicating another year of development into Kenny Pickett, He simply doesn't have the skilset, which is painfully obvious to anyone who's actually watched him play.

If I want opinions or reliable information about a player from a certain team, I tend to go to knowledgeable fans of that team to help me form an opinion. I don't assume I know more than someone who's watched them play 100x more than I have. But, this is the time for Eagles fans to be optimistic on Pickett being a serviceable backup. Maybe he will be someday, but as a backup, I'd much rather have a proven veteran I know I can trust. He refused to dress as a backup in week 17, so it's not like the Steelers didn't know what his reaction would be when he was told WIlson was being brought in. They just didn't care.

Seeing quite a few teams get into "salary cap hell" really makes it luxury to have a guy like Howie and the salary cap guy in place. Kind of crazy how other teams don't mirror it.

My question is, who do you think will be on the team in 2 years? Not asking anyone to be Nostradamus, but the idea is do we think there is any potential guy on the team that will have a contract dispute or an issue with the team that will effect them overall? I think the worst case was last off-season, and really the Eagles got out of that one pretty well.

Just trying to predict what potential issues may come to this team (outside of players not playing to what we anticipate, etc.) in the next 2-5 year window

ETA: or some funny practice like this: https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-nfl-draft-pick-in-2025-due-to-payroll-errors

Seeing quite a few teams get into "salary cap hell" really makes it luxury to have a guy like Howie and the salary cap guy in place. Kind of crazy how other teams don't mirror it.
Your QB is on a rookie deal. That helps a tiny bit with cap space

ETA: I feel like he’s had QBs on a rookie deal most of the time he’s been there but I could be wrong

Last edited:
1. Kenny Pickett has the worst passing touchdown percentage by a quarterback when throwing 500+ pass attempts, at 1.8 percent.
2. Kenny Pickett has the smallest hands in the NFL.
3. Needs to be more consistent in the pocket presence and response to pressure. Instead of stepping up into the pocket he tends to turn his back in spin move sack.
4. According to Kurt Warner, Kenny struggles recognizing coverages.
5. Statistical decline between 1st and 2nd year.
6. 291 rushing yards over 2 years.
7. Injury prone
8. Refused to dress for a late season game in year 2. Came off an entitled baby.

adding some context, this may have been mentioned already but I read it on two sources this morning, that Howie had interest in drafting Pickett in 2022 (in a later round I assume) and did his research on him extensively back then. so there is a connection there and at least we can be comfortable he is very familiar with Pickett's game. between that and the contract price in the long term, seems understandable why Pickett.
Roseman went to Puckets game vs NCST the OT win. It was howie’s first college game he personally attended in 3 yrs

The Eagles are moving Haason Reddick roster bonus to April 1 according to Jeremy Fowler of ESPN. That allows more time to see if the Eagles will trade Haason or agreed to a restructured contract.

Bingo 💯

So you think a guy who was just dumped by a team and are ok paying him 5 figure salary because he was a poor teammate and poor player is better for your QB room right now?
First the answer to the question. Yes, by quite a bit. But to the point of the Broncos "dumping" Wilson; that has as much or more to do with Payton and his huge ego than it does with Wilson's abilities. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCDv1QbUfSE

There’s been issues with Wilson before he went to Den. In the Eagles thread or Wilson thread I specifically stated talking to people in the Know Payton would give Wilson the year to shape up but if he wasn’t going to play ball don’t be surprised if he’s benched and eventually cut. I also said Wilson had issues from what I was told with authority (coaches management). Payton was brought it because other players were like this and Elway figured they needed a hard *** as the coach. Wilson didn’t like being held accountable so the drama Queen got cut.

The Eagles are moving Haason Reddick roster bonus to April 1 according to Jeremy Fowler of ESPN. That allows more time to see if the Eagles will trade Haason or agreed to a restructured contract.

Howie *really* needs to get this Reddick extension done. If Brian Burns is only worth a 2 and a 5, gotta figure the best they are getting offered for Reddick is maybe a 4th. Reports are they are "still far apart, Reddick has a number he wants, but the Eagles are not willing to go "that" far"

Get it done Howie!

Users who are viewing this thread