What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Atlanta Falcons Thread (2 Viewers)

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Falcons will attend North Dakota State QB Trey Lance's second Pro Day and are "thoroughly evaluating" their options at No. 4.

The Falcons will send the same trio of non-coordinator-level coaches that they sent to Ohio State QB Justin Field's second Pro Day. Their coordinators and HC Arthur Smith attended both passers' initial Pro Days. Matt Ryan's contract almost certainly keeps him in Atlanta for two more seasons. If the Falcons do take a quarterback, he will likely be tasked with holding a clipboard for a season or more. Because of that, a trade back would be ideal for Atlanta. They are in a spot to get one of the final top-tier passers and that should hold a tremendous amount of value for another franchise. If they can't find a trade partner, expect to see TE Kyle Pitts or WR Jamar Chase come off the board at No. 4.

RELATED: 

Matt Ryan

, Justin Fields

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Apr 18, 2021, 4:13 PM ET

Chad Forbes @NFLDraftBites

Julio Jones Trade Chatter. Unless it’s the Ravens, hard to see a logical fit. Big Money, durability & regression concerns. 

It’s a weak Defensive Tackle Class. You’d expect teams calling on Grady Jarrett. There’s a reason team hasn’t restructured his contract yet...
https://twitter.com/nfldraftbites/status/1386642907075989511?s=21

Chad Forbes @NFLDraftBites

#Falcons New GM & Head are frustrated. Due to cap situation, had legitimately no opportunity to improve roster via FA. Instead, they lost key players. Robust trade market never emerged on their pricey players. Now can’t trade out of 4. 

At least they got 6 yr contracts?
https://twitter.com/nfldraftbites/status/1386649423883776002?s=21

The Falcons have let it be known they will field offers and I think it simply comes down to which 2 QBs are on the board when they go to pick at 4. Odds are high they will get calls at that point from teams like New England possibly, LAChargers might want to make a move for Pitts, Arizona might want a top flight WR prospect to go with what they have, Washington and Chicago might have needs at QB. They should field offers and focus on how to enhance what they have. Also might want to shore up that secondary. 

I love Pitts but don't see Atlanta as a great fit. By the time they get him worked into that offense, Ryan will be ready to retire. If I'm Atl, I'm trading down.

They may be able to trade down twice and have 3 first rounders in 21.

Miami could move up to guarantee pitts or chase.  Then atl might be able to do so again for somebody looking for qb.

They may be able to trade down twice and have 3 first rounders in 21.

Miami could move up to guarantee pitts or chase.  Then atl might be able to do so again for somebody looking for qb.
Chase is the best WR this year but he's no sure lock physical specimen like Calvin or Andre Johnson. I doubt if Miami gives up draft capital for a player who may not be full-time in 2021 if Parker, Fuller and Gesicki are healthy. I could see a team trading up to 4 for a QB.

Falcons general manager Terry Fontenot said the team understands "we have to add quarterbacks to the roster.”

What that means is anyone's guess. The Falcons are the only team in the league with one quarterback on the roster. As of early April, Fontenot and head coach Arthur Smith were reportedly split on using the No. 4 pick on North Dakota State QB Trey Lance. What Atlanta does with its first round pick with have reverberations across the league. But if they pass on a high-end quarterback prospect with the fourth pick, the Falcons could select a signal caller in the second or third round -- someone who could sit behind Matt Ryan for a year or two before taking over the offense. A QB like Kyle Trask or Davis Mills could end up on Atlanta's roster as Ryan's 2021 backup. Trask in 2020 was first in the nation with 43 touchdown passes and second in passing yards, behind Mac Jones. 

RELATED: 

Trey Lance

, Kyle Trask

SOURCE: Mike Rothstein on Twitter 

Apr 28, 2021, 10:33 AM ET

Cannot see atlanta deciding they need a QB and letting it be settled in the second or third round, especially since that extra year under contract for first rounders will matter.  If Atlanta punts on the QB, they are likely going to go the Indy route of older QBs after Ryan is done.

Bridgewater just traded to the Bronos for a 6th round pick. Trade down is less likely now. Maybe Carolina takes Fields or Lance.

Bridgewater just traded to the Bronos for a 6th round pick. Trade down is less likely now. Maybe Carolina takes Fields or Lance.
Not sure Teddy changes anything for Denver, he costed nothing to acquire, and costs nothing to keep.

I think it actually may make Denver more likely to trade up, as Teddy profiles more as a bridge/backup than Lock does.

What about this idea:

Broncos get #4

Falcons get #9, #40, 2022 2nd and Drew Lock(young cheap backup, and maybe a change of scenery helps) 

Not sure Teddy changes anything for Denver, he costed nothing to acquire, and costs nothing to keep.

I think it actually may make Denver more likely to trade up, as Teddy profiles more as a bridge/backup than Lock does.

What about this idea:

Broncos get #4

Falcons get #9, #40, 2022 2nd and Drew Lock(young cheap backup, and maybe a change of scenery helps) 
Makes sense for Atlanta to get more picks, especially on the defensive side. And Denver gets their QB of the future, Fields or Lance, with a good bridge QB.

What about this idea:

Broncos get #4

I like it, but would the Broncos really part with 2 extra 2nds to get the QB they can possibly still get at pick 9?

I like it, but would the Broncos really part with 2 extra 2nds to get the QB they can possibly still get at pick 9?
I'd be shocked if a QB makes it 9, and if 1 does, you have basically no say in who it is, so you'd have to be happy with any of them.

Boils down to a game of chicken.  Maybe not 4 because the move is too much, but you can't count on Miami at 6 or Detroit at 7 playing ball for your QB.  Cinci could also trade back to 9 bc Sewell or Slater would be there, so the question for Atlanta is Still "Pitts, a QB, or a reasonable trade down?"  Maybe Miami gives them the 6 and the 3rd rounder from SF in 2022?  

Personally, I think Atlanta is almost stuck having to make the pick.  As a Dolphin fan I hope they go QB

ESPN's Jordan Raanan hears that the Atlanta Falcons are seriously considering selecting North Dakota State QB Trey Lance with the No. 4 pick.

Raanan's source has apparently been in touch with the Falcons throughout the evaluating process, but this little note goes against pre-draft trends in a major way. Momentum has been steadily building toward a selection of Florida TE Kyle Pitts at the No. 4 position, with multiple evaluators of the belief that Atlanta will not be pulling the trigger on a signal-caller come Thursday evening. If Lance goes to Atlanta it would completely open the draft up, as it would cause a domino effect of dropping Pitts down and likewise for every subsequent prospect, opening up options that would not have been available prior.

SOURCE: Jordan Raanan on Twitter

Apr 29, 2021, 12:39 PM ET

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports that "as of now," Florida TE Kyle Pitts would be the Falcons' selection at No. 4 overall. 

Per Russini, the Falcons have "taken calls from just about everyone," but that "there hasn't been an offer good enough to trade back." Russini reports they are "willing to keep listening." This would seem to be the Falcons begging for better offers for a spot that's the highest anyone could move up for on Thursday. Although a special talent, Pitts would be a luxury pick for a roster with massive holes on both sides of the ball. 

RELATED: 

Atlanta Falcons

SOURCE: Dianna Russini on Twitter 

Apr 29, 2021, 1:22 PM ET

I realize the Falcons not playing their starters on offense but the offensive linemen they are playing are really bad.

Worst offense I have seen by far this preseason. Cant block anything and tons of penalties as well

This performance so bad it's making me leery of Mike Davis being set up for success and if Ryan gets hurt oh man it's going to be bad.

I realize the Falcons not playing their starters on offense but the offensive linemen they are playing are really bad.

Worst offense I have seen by far this preseason. Cant block anything and tons of penalties as well

This performance so bad it's making me leery of Mike Davis being set up for success and if Ryan gets hurt oh man it's going to be bad.

Mike Davis is a dice roll.  Really hard to know with any certainty how effective the running game will be.

Falcons DC Dean Pees had to be backboarded and carted following a pre-game collision before Atlanta's Week 15 game against the Saints.​

A Saints player attempting to field a punt accidentally ran into the 73-year-old Falcons coordinator. He had to have his neck stabilized before being loaded onto a stretcher. The Falcons have now lost their defensive play-caller an hour before the game.
SOURCE: Nick Underhill on Twitter
Dec 18, 2022, 12:29 PM ET

NFL Rookie Watch
@NFLRookieWatxh
Nolan Smith said in a recent interview that it seems to him that the Falcons “really” want to keep him in Georgia. Both Terry Fontenot (Falcons GM) and Arthur Smith (Falcons HC) were in attendance at Georgia’s Pro Day last week.
Several scouts also believe Smith has “solidified” himself as being worthy of a Top-15 pick after his performance at the NFL Combine.
The Falcons currently hold the 8th overall pick in the NFL Draft 1f440.png
-----------------
FIRST ROUND MOCK
@firstroundmock
Micah who? That's what everyone is going to be saying after they see Nolan Smith. #NFL
@MicahhParsons11
-----------------
Nolan Smith Has More Upside Than Micah Parsons

Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski

The Atlanta Falcons' defensive front is looking pretty stout with Grady Jarrett, David Onyemata and now Calais Campbell. Prioritized the trenches this offseason by also re-signing RT Kaleb McGary and giving RG Chris Lindstrom a massive extension. Smart way to build a roster.

Brent Sobleski@brentsobleski
Fascinated by Falcons' approach. 3 straight top-10 picks:
- TE Kyle Pitts
- WR Drake London
- RB Bijan Robinson
Granted, I'm a Desmond Ridder fan. But he's still a 3rd rounder.
Either ATL changes how we look at roster building or this implodes w/o a solution behind center.

Users who are viewing this thread