What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Atlanta Falcons Thread (3 Viewers)

siffoin said:
It might take a couple more wins...but I think this is a pretty good football team that everyone continues to overlook.  As I've said for weeks...a fantastic offense and a defense that is a lot better than people give credit too.  This is fun!

RISING UP! 
Defense has started playing better for sure.  Would be nice to get some more takeaways but I'm not complaining - they've been solid.  

What are your thoughts on who we want to face?  My gut says we can beat both but something tells me Dallas would be easier, even on the road.  I don't think their D can stop us and I think the moment may be too big for Dak.  Will be interesting how it goes.  Would be cool to see the last game in the Dome be the NFCCG.

Defense has started playing better for sure.  Would be nice to get some more takeaways but I'm not complaining - they've been solid.  

What are your thoughts on who we want to face?  My gut says we can beat both but something tells me Dallas would be easier, even on the road.  I don't think their D can stop us and I think the moment may be too big for Dak.  Will be interesting how it goes.  Would be cool to see the last game in the Dome be the NFCCG.

It's a toss up, Dallas has a ball control offense that can score on long drives keeping the ball away from Ryan but I think the Cowboys won't be able to slow down the Falcons offense when they do get the ball. Packers can put up points but their defense also won't be able to stop Atlanta's offense. Put a gun to my head, I'll take Packers at home for the crowd noise advantage.

I don't really care who we face.  For this team and this season and the expectations I had...it's all house money at this point.  

Whichever team we face I feel like it will be an opportunity to avenge and exercise demons.  Against Green Bay it's the playoff game from 2011.  And if it's Dallas it the playoff loss in 1981 (I was so sure we were going to win the Super Bowl that year).

And I agree --It would be great to see one last game in the Georgia Dome.

Regardless, I think we'll be a tough out and glad we continue to be overlooked.

Someone posted this on a Falcons site.  The last 3 drafts have been crazy good providing for 11 starters and an additional 3 players who played a large number of snaps.  It's basically our entire back 7 except for Robert Alford (and the injured Trufant).

QB:
RB: Devonta Freeman, Tevin Coleman (353 snaps)
WR: Justin Hardy (291 snaps)
TE: Austin Hooper
OL: Jake Matthews

--
DL: Grady Jarrett, Rasheed Hageman (266 snaps)
LB: Vic Beasley, Deon Jones, Devondre Campbell
DB: Keanu Neal, Jalen Collins, Ricardo Allen, Brian Poole

The 2013 draft also gave us starters Trufant, Alford, DiMarco, and Shraeder along with role players Toilolo, Ishmael, and Worrilow. 

Someone posted this on a Falcons site.  The last 3 drafts have been crazy good providing for 11 starters and an additional 3 players who played a large number of snaps.  It's basically our entire back 7 except for Robert Alford (and the injured Trufant).

QB:

--

The 2013 draft also gave us starters Trufant, Alford, DiMarco, and Shraeder along with role players Toilolo, Ishmael, and Worrilow. 
That's also a very impressive ratio of drafted players to free agents, more so factoring in Julio and Ryan as drafted starters from other drafts.

Yet another example that building a championship-caliber team is best done by effective drafting.

QB:

--

This is awesome. The only problem is that they are nearing the end of their contracts the next 1-2 years. Great example of a team building through the draft and hitting on several draft picks and getting them to contribute heavily early. 

Was listening to Dave Archer on the postgame, and he mentioned that Matt Ryan cemented himself as possibly the greatest Atlanta athlete of all time tonight.  I was thinking through, and these were the handful of names I came up with...

Falcons: Ryan, Julio, Tuggle?

Hawks: Nique

Braves: Aaron or Chipper (not sure I could put one of the pitchers)

Other: Holyfield

--

Am I missing anyone?

Was listening to Dave Archer on the postgame, and he mentioned that Matt Ryan cemented himself as possibly the greatest Atlanta athlete of all time tonight.  I was thinking through, and these were the handful of names I came up with...

--

Am I missing anyone?
I think the answer is Chipper.  Some others:

- Murphy, Maddux, Glavine, Bartkowski, Rafael Belliard

ETA - I could make a strong argument for Maddux I think 

Last edited by a moderator:

--

Am I missing anyone?
I opened this up to my family...  they've decided to add Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz and Bobby Jones to the list.

I think the answer is Chipper.  Some other:

- Murphy, Maddux, Glavine, Bartkowski, Rafael Belliard
I think I'd probably give to Aaron at this moment.  We beat the Pats, Ryan probably jumps to the top.  I mentioned in a group text and they added a few more (mentioned in post above this).

I think I'd probably give to Aaron at this moment.  We beat the Pats, Ryan probably jumps to the top.  I mentioned in a group text and they added a few more (mentioned in post above this).
How many years did Aaron play in Milwaukee?  He's definitely the best in the list (maybe by far) - I guess because it was before my time and he played in Milwaukee I didn't give him enough consideration. 

How many years did Aaron play in Milwaukee?  He's definitely the best in the list (maybe by far) - I guess because it was before my time and he played in Milwaukee I didn't give him enough consideration. 
That's a good point - had to look and its 9/22 seasons in Atlanta.  I guess I more associate with him here since he broke the home run record and stuck around after his career.  It was before my time too.

Maddux was remarkable and I think if it wasn't for his Cubs years I'd put him above everyone.

As for Ryan - it's hard to argue with moving him up if they win but I still have some of the previous disappointments from past seasons in the back of my mind.  Don't get me wrong - he's been outstanding but since we are talking careers I think he still has more to prove.  The good thing is I think the team is setup to win for the next several years while he's in his prime.  

10% of the country lives in the New England area?
Actually, a bit generous on my part. About 14.3 million. So roughly 4.7%. That's even assuming they are all fans. But then add in more fans randomly spread throughout the country, with a dash of frontrunners and a pinch of bandwagoners, and my unscientific estimate comes to about 10%.  :D

--

Am I missing anyone?
Tommy Nobis was a flat out stud who should be in the NFL Hall of Fame.

Smoltz was incredible.  Not only did he win the Cy Young as a starter- he became a dominant relief pitcher afterwards.  213 ML Wins and 154 ML Saves.  No other pitcher has ever done that.

I've got to say - WOW!  Far Exceeding Expectations. 

I've seen this team improving throughout the year.  The offense was unstoppable, but what was impressing me was how the defense was coming together and was much better than anyone was giving credit to.  I'm not sure what the impression is now - but I think some people are beginning to see this team as tough, fast and violent.   It may take one more game and one more win.  I think we can do it.  Rising Way Up!

Side note:  I've got to say that the way Green Bay ended the game last night in the final 2 minutes was all class and great sportsmanship. 

--

Am I missing anyone?
Interesting question.  As a life long Braves fan, the Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz era was very special.  If the question was most famous athlete of all time, Hammerin' Hank would probably be the call.  Maddux and Smoltz were imports, although Smoltz came in as a young pitcher.  I like that Glavine and Chipper came up from within.  Best athlete, I may go Chipper.

Having said that, when Ryan wins this superbowl, He may begin to launch himself up on that Atlanta Mount Rushmore very quickly.  

Good luck guys, please don't let the cheaters win another!
What's particularly funny about this comment is that this particular Falcons Super Bowl team doesn't exist without "the cheaters" and their past success.

The two leaders in the front office for Atlanta (Dimitroff and Pioli) both came from the Patriots.  Even their #3 guy, Director of Pro Personnel Joel Collier coached under Belichick.  Dan Quinn's assistant?  Steve Scarnecchia, son of Dante (long time Pats coach).

What's particularly funny about this comment is that this particular Falcons Super Bowl team doesn't exist without "the cheaters" and their past success.

The two leaders in the front office for Atlanta (Dimitroff and Pioli) both came from the Patriots.  Even their #3 guy, Director of Pro Personnel Joel Collier coached under Belichick.  Dan Quinn's assistant?  Steve Scarnecchia, son of Dante (long time Pats coach).
Kick Brady's a$*!

@SaintsInDome2006 - suggestions on titles that will be an improvement?
Ha, truly thanks for asking, but hey man, I already deleted one comment because it was rude to the falcs fans, if you want an appropriate falcs thread title, I'm not sure you're asking the right guy..... anything without the words 'Super' and 'Bowl' in would please anyone in the 504....

Ha, truly thanks for asking, but hey man, I already deleted one comment because it was rude to the falcs fans, if you want an appropriate falcs thread title, I'm not sure you're asking the right guy..... anything without the words 'Super' and 'Bowl' in would please anyone in the 504....

:lmao:

Gotcha!

Quinn quoted yesterday that he's worried about Mack's injury.  I hope that's just a smokescreen,  not having him play every snap would be a disaster. 

I honestly have a hard time reconciling the coaching staff's actions last night.  I know that's reactionary, and I don't want Quinn or his staff fired or anything, but I don't view them in the same light anymore. The second half was like watching a bad HS team who didn't prep for the game.  Bad playcall after bad playcall.  

If you give me a 15 year old Asian kid playing Madden football who has little to no understanding of the game, he'd still understand the concept of running clock and when to use timeouts. To watch Quinn/Shanahan last night, you'd think this is tougher than sending someone to the moon.  

They without a doubt cost Atlanta a Super Bowl.  Yes, Brady scored a bunch of points but he was playing guys who'd been chasing his team around for 80+ plays at that point. There was no gas left in the tank, but our offense didn't seem to care.  

Honestly, its unforgivable.  Professionals don't lose when they're up 28-3 in the second half. 

bigmarc27 said:
I honestly have a hard time reconciling the coaching staff's actions last night.  I know that's reactionary, and I don't want Quinn or his staff fired or anything, but I don't view them in the same light anymore. The second half was like watching a bad HS team who didn't prep for the game.  Bad playcall after bad playcall.  

If you give me a 15 year old Asian kid playing Madden football who has little to no understanding of the game, he'd still understand the concept of running clock and when to use timeouts. To watch Quinn/Shanahan last night, you'd think this is tougher than sending someone to the moon.  

They without a doubt cost Atlanta a Super Bowl.  Yes, Brady scored a bunch of points but he was playing guys who'd been chasing his team around for 80+ plays at that point. There was no gas left in the tank, but our offense didn't seem to care.  

Honestly, its unforgivable.  Professionals don't lose when they're up 28-3 in the second half. 
Yep - hard one to take - I was walking around downtown today during lunch it was odd - hardly anybody out and the ones that were seemed in a daze.  Not sure how they overcome this one - I thought Ryan was ordinary and we wouldn't win one with him ever.  Then this year he and Shanahan had them rolling - I was in shock when it was 28-3 but never felt it was over.  When they got the ball back I was resigned to losing tbh - been burned too many times.  Despite that I'm still in shock and definitely angry with Shanahan/Ryan.

Well, after 45 years of rooting for Redskins #1, Falcons #2 I am going to start participating more in the Falcons board.  While I was born in DC, my family is all from GA, from my parents back to about 8 generations worth.  I'm moving back to the family farm in 5 years (in that vast metropolis known as South Georgia), and with the Redskins a total and utter embarrassment for the last 20 years, might as well make the full jump now.  I have pulled my Bartkowski jersey out of the closet, only to find my neck can't fit into the darn thing.  My son can wear it and the Julio jersey he got for Christmas.

So, what are we looking at in the draft?  A little more DL talent?  Maybe a guard?

DL and G sounds about right. 

We we did just restructure some of Ryan's Shraeder's bonus money for a little extra cap.  That could be part of the inevitable re-signing of Trufant, but some are speculating it's for a FA DL - maybe Poe, maybe Hankins.  Who knows. 

Users who are viewing this thread