What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Year-end Song Draft - Ends Thursday Jan 25 (1 Viewer)

5. Wednesday — Bull Believer

In the mid-year draft I almost picked this song. I didn’t because I was hesitant to force you all to listen to an eight minute song with a lot of screaming in it. I ended up picking a different song on the album.

Almost every time I hear this song since then it runs through my mind that I should have picked it. It’s easily a top five of the year song for me. So I’m now correcting that wrong. Everyone who likes to hear female screaming or has played the video game Mortal Combat should especially like this.

Round 5 Evangeline - Stephen Sanchez

Nice song. On my 2023 playlist but didn't make the cut for the Top 20.

Fun Fact: This song contains a sample from Bobby Goldsboro's atrocious 1968 hit "Honey" (which mercifully is not that obvious to the listener).

Here is a live version.

Stephen Sanchez - Evangeline (Live Vevo 2023)

5. Slowdive - prayer remembered

Another band I caught on tour this year (at the Palace Theatre). After thoroughly enjoying the Saint Paul Hotel's lobby bar, my wife and I headed out to do some record shopping down the street. On the way out a couple of older gentlemen were walking in front of us, one in a nice, but extremely wrinkled suit and wearing bright red sneakers. I didn't think much of it other than it being an interesting/brave stylistic choice. As they turned to go left up the street (we were headed right) I heard his voice...turns out it was Garrison Keillor. The guy has gotten old.

Last edited:
6. English Teacher — The World’s Biggest Paving Slab

My favorite “new” band who hasn’t yet released an LP. I struggled picking which single. Ended up picking the one that is the catchiest.

3.ee - Middle Kids - Highland

I'm surprised this song didn't make @Northern Voice list because I know he's a big fan.

I confess that this was one of my favourite 100 songs of the year but I punted it to 2024 because the album will be out then and I had too tough a decision getting to my final 100.

Same goes for the IDLES/LCD song that Floppo picked.

Round 6 (#15)

Kamobii - 'Til The Morning

🎶
Stay
Won't you stay with me 'til the morning'
Til the morning
🎶

"Combining a relaxed hip-hop beat and a catchy piano melody, the track exudes a captivating chorus"

Last edited:
5. Gregory Alan Isakov - Watchman
He was on my list - might have to repeat some artists already selected in the later rounds. Pretty sure you selected the Isbell song also. I’m fond of that album.

Yard Act - Dream Job

Funky retro New Wave with a touch of Cake and a suitably distorted guitar solo.

Good tune, added to my playlist.

5. Gregory Alan Isakov - Watchman
He was on my list - might have to repeat some artists already selected in the later rounds. Pretty sure you selected the Isbell song also. I’m fond of that album.
Pretty sure Weathervanes was my most listened to album last year. Might be my favorite from him.

5. Slowdive - prayer remembered

Another band I caught on tour this year (at the Palace Theatre). After thoroughly enjoying the Saint Paul Hotel's lobby bar, my wife and I headed out to do some record shopping down the street. On the way out a couple of older gentlemen were walking in front of us, one in a nice, but extremely wrinkled suit and wearing bright red sneakers. I didn't think much of it other than it being an interesting/brave stylistic choice. As they turned to go left up the street (we were headed right) I heard his voice...turns out it was Garrison Keillor. The guy has gotten old.

This is not what I’m used to listening to, but recent MAD Artist Playlists and now this song has got me appreciating and squeezing in electronic/ambient music to my listening time.

Really liked this song and will throw the album on when I’m in the mood.

6. Califone - mcmansions

6. Blue Flame Ford - Truly

Yes, this song was really released this year even thought it sounds like it’s from about 1996.
Fast Stories... From Kid Coma was released in 1995. And it's a great album. An under-appreciated classic. @Pip's Invitation is another big fan.
I was trying to figure out what the hell was going on with this because I could have sworn that this was not new but it was in my release radar and seemed like it was released this year…so, yeah I screwed up

6. Blue Flame Ford - Truly

Yes, this song was really released this year even thought it sounds like it’s from about 1996.
Fast Stories... From Kid Coma was released in 1995. And it's a great album. An under-appreciated classic. @Pip's Invitation is another big fan.
Yep. So typical of Spotify to call it 2023 because that's when it finally showed up on their platform.

On the 1995 CD (remember those?), the first track is actually listed as "Intro/Blue Flame Ford".

Anyway, this record is basically the perfect fusion of grunge, prog and stoner rock. It is one of my favorite records of the '90s and I would put it up against most anything from that era.

7. Good Good Things - DRAIN

Where were you when I was in so much trouble with myself
And do you still believe in me like I believe

A bunch of hardcore guys from Santa Cruz cover The Descendents from '85 or so. This is later Descendents, and it shows, but it's still cool.

Last edited:
5.ee - Micky Dolenz - Radio Free Europe

Not great enough to be one of my 31 favorite covers of all time but a fun Powerpop/Psychedelic version of R.E.M.'s first single.

@simey because I know she's a Monkees fan.

I like this version, and it's good to hear Micky still having fun with music. I can make out the lyrics better in Micky's version, and he has always had a psychedelic side to him.

Round 7 - (#14 counting down from #20)

The Forensics - By My Side

A banger from this Lancashire UK indie guitar pop band.

Users who are viewing this thread