What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Song Draft - Alphabet thievery afoot - Thievery abounds, XTC and Queen popular. Starting Round 25. Chaos coming (1 Viewer)

There would have been more stealing if there had been more participants. There was enough Q, X and Z for everyone who made it to 26 rounds, but that may not have been the case if we had 5+ more people.

My strategy was to pick Q, X and Z artists that nobody else would probably want. :laugh:
I picked Warren Zevon. I thought someone would steal him for sure.
I was happy with The Zombies but when it was stolen, I would have taken Zevon if not for the availability of Hans Zimmer.

Hans Zimmer is always available.
I’ll keep that in mind if ever produce a movie.

As far as steals go, I didn't know that once we picked the letter we couldn't steal. That would have helped me understand the game a little better and I wouldn't have drafted "X" and the others so quickly into the game.

Actually, what am I saying? I took Big Star out the gate (but I had been listening to them for several days!).

My thoughts on steals: I think the 2 steal per drafter was fine, but maybe you could increase the cap on how many a person could be stolen from. With people getting frozen so quickly, it took lots of good groups off the market early.

For scarcity, I’d consider being stricter on the artists availability with duets or various band iterations. If Queen is taken, they then can’t be taken with David Bowie or the Muppets, or whoever. If Elvis Costello and the XYZs is taken, all other Elvis Costello iterations are off the board. (I’m fine if it’s completely different bands like Pearl Jam / Temple of the Dog or STP / Velvet Revolver)

I’m not complaining though. This was a fun change of pace. If all things were kept the same, I’d probably use my steals earlier before things got locked up or before I drafted other options.
I agree on the artists thing and think more stealing would have been ok though I think it was wise to be conservative about it the first time through. It’s a format we could do again with perhaps a 50 States draft or Songs that start with, etc

There would have been more stealing if there had been more participants. There was enough Q, X and Z for everyone who made it to 26 rounds, but that may not have been the case if we had 5+ more people.

My strategy was to pick Q, X and Z artists that nobody else would probably want. :laugh:
I picked Warren Zevon. I thought someone would steal him for sure.
I might have if I’d gotten desperate for Z. But I drafted Zebra in round 2 and no one cared.
I thought about stealing Zebra but was able to pivot elsewhere. Plus I’ve drafted them more than a few times over the years.

27.Bonus - The Smiths - Rusholme Ruffians​

Andy Rourke (17 January 1964 – 19 May 2023)

Any number of songs by morbid Moz could have fit my theme but I went instead with the first Smiths bassline that came to mind. It may not be his best but the bass carries the song.

As far as steals go, I didn't know that once we picked the letter we couldn't steal. That would have helped me understand the game a little better and I wouldn't have drafted "X" and the others so quickly into the game.

this, bolded ^

my initial pick of ? and the Mysterians were being "clever" with 'Q' i suppose, but were a dumb arse strategy to put out in the first rd, what with the scarcity.

that shoulda been the easiest steal of the gig, but nobody poached ...

:shrug:

this, bolded ^

my initial pick of ? and the Mysterians were being "clever" with 'Q' i suppose, but were a dumb arse strategy to put out in the first rd, what with the scarcity.

it was at the top of my "Q" list if I didn't get Queens of the Stone Age

good move - cause I would have grabbed it :hifive:

this, bolded ^

it was at the top of my "Q" list if I didn't get Queens of the Stone Age

good move - cause I would have grabbed it :hifive:

right ... but i put it out there as the second overall pick of the draft, leaving it exposed for the better part of 26 rds ... my "strategy" were horrendous.

but i'm a better player for it, so i got that going for me, at least.

Here we go.
I realized I don't know how to rename links, so bear with me.

A. Animal Logic - There's A Spy (In The House Of Love)
When I discovered this band, I started to appreciate Stewart Copeland's drumming much more than I did with The Police. I listened to The Police with different ears after that.

B. Badfinger - Baby Blue
I discovered Badfinger later than the British Invasion bands. Love the band and their tragic story. I renewed my love for vinyl in the last 4 years and finding original pressings of their albums was a challenge with a great payoff.
Lots of "B" acts to choose from. I almost went with Buzzcocks - Why Can't I Touch It https://youtu.be/L1G0jl0Vc64
when a recent Ted Lasso episode featured the song and reminded me how much I listened to them back in the day.

C. My friends would bet a lot of money that my pick here would be Crowded House. Most of the time they'd be right.
This time I make a different choice.
Charlyn Marie "Chan" Marshall. Cat Power was originally the name of her first band, but has become her stage name as a solo artist.
Cat Power (I'm going to count it as a "C" choice) - I Think Of Angels
Amazing voice.
“I Think of Angels” was composed by KK and performed in collaboration with his sister, Ellen Kristjánsdóttir. The song pays tribute to the siblings’ late sister, Inger, who died in a car crash in America in 1992. “I Think of Angels” was officially released in 1995 on the album Gleðifólkið. The song is often performed at funerals in Iceland.

D. The Darkness - One Way Ticket (To Hell And Back)
This song is just....fun.
The lead singer, Justin Hawkins, has a great YouTube channel entitled ‘Justin Hawkins Rides Again’.

Last edited:
I'm using Post #4 in this thread as my guide to what artists have already been claimed. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will point it out to me.

E. Walter Egan - Magnet & Steel
I didn't realize until recently that Lindsey Buckingham was a Producer on this record.

F. Flesh For Lulu - I Go Crazy
I first heard the song on the soundtrack to the John Hughes movie "Some Kind Of Wonderful". I was hooked and bought their albums.

G. Garbage- Only Happy When It Rains

Shirley Manson, Butch Vig. I'm sold.

H. Havana 3 a.m. - Reach The Rock

Paul Simonon after The Clash.

I. Jason Isbell - Elephant

If I read the rules correctly (and all the back and forth debates) his work with The 400 Unit has been claimed. But, the album "Southeastern" should be in play because it is credited to Jason Isbell. This is an amazing song that gets me every time.

At this point I don’t think anyone is going to scream at you for rulebreaking unless you try to take the Beatles or something like that.
I appreciate being indulged and making my picks. I still want to respect JML's rules. Guess I'll just avoid Queen and XTC.
Queen is MINE! MINE, i say.
Queen with Adam Lambert?

Nope.

Keep the Bad Man from my group.

(I have no idea what the answer is.)

At this point I don’t think anyone is going to scream at you for rulebreaking unless you try to take the Beatles or something like that.
I appreciate being indulged and making my picks. I still want to respect JML's rules. Guess I'll just avoid Queen and XTC.
Queen is MINE! MINE, i say.
Queen with Adam Lambert?

Nope.

Keep the Bad Man from my group.

(I have no idea what the answer is.)
No problem. I have a different artist for Q anyway.

More picks, but I was scolded by the Canadian government for not having enough Canadian content in my picks. This should rectify it.

J- JAHKOY - No Regrets

Canadian R&B artist Jahkoy Palmer. Talented young guy.

K- Michael Kiwanuka- Cold Little Heart

Not Canadian, he's British. Great song though.

L- lovelytheband- Broken

Not Canadian either, American ...sigh.
But, we all need a little Pop in our life. You're welcome.

M- Mother Mother - It's Alright

We are back on track with this Canadian Indie band.

N- The Northern Pikes - Believe

Canadian? You're damn right they are.
I couldn't be prouder of these guys. They are from the small city I grew up in. In the music world, it is the birthplace of Joni Mitchell and the hometown of The Sheepdogs. The Sheepdogs were the first unsigned band to make the cover of Rolling Stone magazine.
The Pikes? They used to play our high school dances (when they were known as The Ragtops). They were a big deal when I was in high school, University and still are to me today.

I'm back. Thanks for the likes. It seems most have gravitated towards the other music threads. I will finish this though because I'm stubborn.

O- Joan Osborne- One Of Us

I always liked this song. Then I saw her perform it at an outdoor venue under a night sky and it went to a whole other level for me.

P- Pixies - Where Is My Mind/ Catfish Kate

Did I miss it? This band wasn't chosen?
I'll give you a twofer then. One old,one new.

Q- Suzi Quatro & Chris Norman - Stumblin' In

Q was a tough one. I liked this song back in the day. Their voices work well together and they both have a touch of rasp in their voice.

R- Royal Blood - Figure It Out

These two got themselves in a little trouble recently at a gig. Still hard to believe it is only a duo. Bass player and drummer. All the guitar parts are done with a bass. Jimmy Page praised them, so if they are good enough for Jimmy...

S- Sweet - Love Is Like Oxygen

I loved Desolation Boulevard as a young music fan. Then they blew my mind with this song.

T- Tragically Hip- Locked In The Trunk Of A Car

As a Canadian, I'm obligated to pick these guys. I'm fine with it because it's a great song.

since we're just plunking things in here - I am not a "horns" guy ...but always thought Chicago overcame that ...even made it slightly cool

this live cut of 25 or 6 to 4 convinced me once again

we aren't going to see anything like this again until the current model is broken
The Tanglewood show is AMAZING. I will be linking its performances of every song from it that made my countdown.
So I went down the rabbit hole a bit more today on these guys. It seems that the main reason PC left Chicago was that he hated the horns, lol. He seems like a weird dude. On a side note, the first Journey record kinda reminds me of early Chicago, minus the horns. I like both alot fwiw.

since we're just plunking things in here - I am not a "horns" guy ...but always thought Chicago overcame that ...even made it slightly cool

this live cut of 25 or 6 to 4 convinced me once again

we aren't going to see anything like this again until the current model is broken
The Tanglewood show is AMAZING. I will be linking its performances of every song from it that made my countdown.
So I went down the rabbit hole a bit more today on these guys. It seems that the main reason PC left Chicago was that he hated the horns, lol. He seems like a weird dude. On a side note, the first Journey record kinda reminds me of early Chicago, minus the horns. I like both alot fwiw.
The main reason was that he wanted to do both solo albums and band albums (like Phil Collins with Genesis) but the other members were not down with that. But he was perfectly happy to sing synth ballads with little to no horns on them, whereas the other members only went along because their producer and label said that was what they needed to do to keep having hits.

Last one. More Canadian content here! Some of these letters were a real challenge.
U- USS (Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker)- Yo Hello Hooray (Everyday)

Great band name. They are Canadian, but the band broke up.

V - The Vapors - Turning Japanese

Loved this song when it first came out. Rediscovered it when I found it in a bunch of lps I bought at a Garage Sale.

W- Donovan Woods - Great Escape

Why yes, he is Canadian. Great storyteller.

X - X Ambassadors - Renegades

X was a tough one. Had to land on this song. Probably best known from a Jeep commercial.

Y - Dwight Yoakam - A Thousand Miles From Nowhere

Apparently Country is frowned upon in these drafts. I'm not a big Country fan,but I won't apologize for liking Mr. Yoakam (and a few others). It was difficult for me to narrow it down to just one song.

Z- Zedd, Maren Morris, Grey - The Middle

Another really tough letter. I think I did it though.

I'm surprised to hear Pixies weren't taken. I took "Where Is My Mind" in the worldwide dummies countdown, and shuke had it as his 31-pointer!
I checked post #4 in the thread where JML recapped the chosen artists by letter. I also checked his round summary posts and some of the posts on page 30+ and didn't see them. I expect to be called out if someone already drafted them.

I'm surprised to hear Pixies weren't taken. I took "Where Is My Mind" in the worldwide dummies countdown, and shuke had it as his 31-pointer!
I checked post #4 in the thread where JML recapped the chosen artists by letter. I also checked his round summary posts and some of the posts on page 30+ and didn't see them. I expect to be called out if someone already drafted them.
I wasn’t questioning whether they were taken; I was expressing surprise.

Bonus Round 27!
C. The Clash - London Calling

Obvious choice for the band, but very meaningful to me.
My best friend Russell's older brother bought this album. We knew we had to listen to it. We snuck in his brother's room and took it with us. When the needle hit the vinyl and this song started,we were mesmerized.

We had to get it to our high school and get it on our radio station that was on during lunch hour. Our Principal was strict. It was a public high school, but he wanted to introduce school uniforms. He also ruled our radio airwaves with an iron fist.
We were only Freshmen so how could we get it on the air? Only kids in Grade 11 and 12 got to be "DJs" so we had to bribe our way on the air.
We gave the guy $10 and he said as long as we stuck to the approved Playlist we were fine and he left for a smoke.

We had patter and we had practiced. So during the intro to the song we introduced ourselves. Russell went "Ring,ring. Ring, ring. We have an important call coming in." I said "Who is it?" Joe Strummer answered with "London Calling." Then we shut up and let the song play. We were so lame.

If this was a John Hughes movie we would have ruled the school for the rest of our time there and never paid for anything in the cafeteria. Instead we had a week of "fame". But.....what a week it was.

I wasn’t questioning whether they were taken; I was expressing surprise.
I was surprised too. Shocked really.

Last one. More Canadian content here! Some of these letters were a real challenge.

Loved this song when it first came out. Rediscovered it when I found it in a bunch of lps I bought at a Garage Sale.

X was a tough one. Had to land on this song. Probably best known from a Jeep commercial.

Apparently Country is frowned upon in these drafts. I'm not a big Country fan,but I won't apologize for liking Mr. Yoakam (and a few others). It was difficult for me to narrow it down to just one song.

I took Zedd, but I’m not sure if this is different due to the features/co-artists

Obvious choice for the band, but very meaningful to me.
My best friend Russell's older brother bought this album. We knew we had to listen to it. We snuck in his brother's room and took it with us. When the needle hit the vinyl and this song started,we were mesmerized.

We had to get it to our high school and get it on our radio station that was on during lunch hour. Our Principal was strict. It was a public high school, but he wanted to introduce school uniforms. He also ruled our radio airwaves with an iron fist.
We were only Freshmen so how could we get it on the air? Only kids in Grade 11 and 12 got to be "DJs" so we had to bribe our way on the air.
We gave the guy $10 and he said as long as we stuck to the approved Playlist we were fine and he left for a smoke.

We had patter and we had practiced. So during the intro to the song we introduced ourselves. Russell went "Ring,ring. Ring, ring. We have an important call coming in." I said "Who is it?" Joe Strummer answered with "London Calling." Then we shut up and let the song play. We were so lame.

If this was a John Hughes movie we would have ruled the school for the rest of our time there and never paid for anything in the cafeteria. Instead we had a week of "fame". But.....what a week it was.

RULES.

I took Zedd, but I’m not sure if this is different due to the features/co-artists
If I can't use this one, I'll have to scratch a Z choice because I can't think of another one. Sorry, I missed your pick.

If I can't use this one, I'll have to scratch a Z choice because I can't think of another one. Sorry, I missed your pick.
We counted Neil Young separate from Neil Young and Crazy Horse, Tom Petty separate from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Queen and David Bowie different from Queen, etc., so you're good.

Users who are viewing this thread