What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (2 Viewers)

Sorry guys. Injuries suck.
I second this, sorry guys
That sucks for all NFL fans
Yeah it sucks. Legit SB contender with AR.
We don't know that. Rodgers might have sucked this year. We'll never know.
Get out.
Didn't mean that disrespectfully, my apologies. The situation sucks, I wouldn't wish that upon any team/player.

Just didn't see them as sb contenders and thought Rodgers looked average last year.

Either way, brutal situation for you guys and I feel for you.

Not one person thinks the bigger, overarching story here is the Zach Wilson rise from the ashes?

The mentor is killed off and the unlikely hero and must go on a journey to show the world he's transformed?
I hope last night wasn't a sneak peek at his transformation, but in his defense they weren't prepared for him to be the QB last night. I wonder what level of confidence the staff has in Wilson throwing the ball. They have two big talents in Hall and Garrett Wilson, and a good surrounding cast. They need a QB that can make them a balanced offense. Can Zach do that? Can he get Garrett the ball and will the OC give him the opportunity to do so? If he can't, the Jets should bring in someone that can. Their D is great, and if they have a QB that can steer the O, they can still have a great season.

Last edited:
Just brutal Jets fans.

All they need is competent QB play and not sure Wilson will give them that.

Curious to see who they bring in.

He wont. He's horrendous. He was horrendous 2 years ago and he's horrendous now.

The rest of the roster is so good (I mean....they won 7 games last year without Hall, AVT, Becton and all the other guys they've added) that they may still squeeze out close to a .500 record. But its over. The curse continues.

I want to believe he can be competent. I really do. What I see though... he's better than he was, but that's not saying much, and every drop back is an adventure.

Get out.
Didn't mean that disrespectfully, my apologies. The situation sucks, I wouldn't wish that upon any team/player.

Just didn't see them as sb contenders and thought Rodgers looked average last year.

Get out.

Get out.

Get out.
lol what? I literally apologized and said it's a brutal situation and I feel bad for you lol

Even if the Titans are willing to move on from Tannehill, they're not going to do so at this point after week 1 and not seeming to have much faith in Willis or Levis yet. By the time the Titans are willing to move on, it might be too late for the Jets to even consider it (if they are even interested).
You seem to be suggesting that the Titans are all in & perhaps you're right. I don't think they are, which is why I believe Tannehill is expendable. They've already been to the pinnacle of where this particular game manager is going to take them. The Jets got a huge win last night, warranting their investment. Even though that investment had nothing to do with the win, they're still in the win now situation they created. They need to go a little further & go get a guy.

Even if the Titans are willing to move on from Tannehill, they're not going to do so at this point after week 1 and not seeming to have much faith in Willis or Levis yet. By the time the Titans are willing to move on, it might be too late for the Jets to even consider it (if they are even interested).
You seem to be suggesting that the Titans are all in & perhaps you're right. I don't think they are, which is why I believe Tannehill is expendable. They've already been to the pinnacle of where this particular game manager is going to take them.
Maybe, but no team is going to give up after week 1, nor should they. Things change quickly in the NFL and they just missed the playoffs last year with Josh Dobbs at the end.

While it doesn't help to re-hash (but that's what we Jets fans do), what didn't seem to get mentioned much - if at all - was 38-year-old Duane Brown at LT falling down and enabling that sack on Rodgers.

To be sure, sacks happen all the time, guys fall down and get hurt, but in hindsight it seems like a disaster was waiting to happen relying on the (formerly great) Brown at that most critical position.

That position is something that still needs to be addressed if Zach and the passing offense is going to have any shred of hope.

The idea that the Jets would be looking for a backup QB to start SHOULD give cause to any team who thinks that they're still in this after week 1 to not trade their backup QB. MAYBE a team like PHI would move on from Mariotta because he can't throw and they like what they saw in rookie Tanner McKee.....but any established backup probably isn't available....at least until halfway thru the season.

Wentz has the ability to not be a statue behind a porus line. He played well enough in INDY before completely pooping the bed in WAS. I'd also imagine that he's not a backup QB...not because someone wouldn't want him....but because he doesn't want to be a backup QB.

While it doesn't help to re-hash (but that's what we Jets fans do), what didn't seem to get mentioned much - if at all - was 38-year-old Duane Brown at LT falling down and enabling that sack on Rodgers.

To be sure, sacks happen all the time, guys fall down and get hurt, but in hindsight it seems like a disaster was waiting to happen relying on the (formerly great) Brown at that most critical position.

That position is something that still needs to be addressed if Zach and the passing offense is going to have any shred of hope.

I dont think he technically "fell down". I THINK he was going for a cut block (based on the play design) which went very poorly. Rodgers was supposed to throw it out right away to the left and didnt.

That being said.....LT's dont grow on trees. Can't imagine a competent one is gonna fall in their lab. Best case scenario is some sort of re-shuffle either moving Becton or AVT to LT. But they really want to keep AVT on RG this year, so I dont see it happening at this point.

Admittedly it's from my couch, but I see no chance Wilson gets the Jets where they want go. He's not on the same level as Dilfer and Flacco, who led teams with incredible defenses. He did not look good last night. Teams will stack the box and dare them to throw. He has incredibly happy feet and doesn't look like he has the capacity to recognize coverages, or look off defenders. Brissett would be a huge upgrade in my opinion.

" In 2022, Wilson became the first quarterback since Ed Brown in 1957-58 to record the worst passer rating in the NFL in back-to-back seasons."

I dont think he technically "fell down". I THINK he was going for a cut block (based on the play design) which went very poorly. Rodgers was supposed to throw it out right away to the left and didnt.

That being said.....LT's dont grow on trees. Can't imagine a competent one is gonna fall in their lab. Best case scenario is some sort of re-shuffle either moving Becton or AVT to LT. But they really want to keep AVT on RG this year, so I dont see it happening at this point.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking - you just can't find one, but might have to do some reshuffling. If Zach is nervous on his blind side every drop back, he's just going to just keep getting rid of the ball quickly and throw worm burners.

Rodgers held onto the ball forever on the play he was hurt.

That's true - a lot of it was on him. But still think Brown was/is still a big risk at LT - we probably just didn't think too much of it at the time.

Wentz, Bridgewater, Flacco, Ryan, all these names being thrown around.

Guys…(Jets fans).

It’s over this year.

None of these QB’s are taking this team to the promised land. Be real.

The OL is average at best and that’s being nice. None of these “veteran” QB’s can have any semblance of the performance you need.

My Dolphins are also “all in” this year.

If Tua goes down again….it’s over.

So start sobering up…..it’s over.

To me the best option is already on your roster. Zach “Milf Hunter” Wilson. Let him play and ride it.

If he stinks you can draft another QB in 2024.

Injuries are part of football…..are we really blaming Aaron Rodgers for getting hurt?

Rodgers is a QB who has always extended the play….it was one of his signature attributes……this is an unfortunate thing that happened to a guy who has a ton of milage and is turning 40 in December.

Thanks for keeping the discussion as positive as it can be.

Tough night for Jets fans as they finally seemed to have all the pieces. Great outcome with the Win of course but we've all seen how important a good QB is.

I think Wilson may be better than we think and this team is loaded in other positions. They'll still be a problem for the league if they can get good play from the QB.

Maybe, but no team is going to give up after week 1, nor should they. Things change quickly in the NFL and they just missed the playoffs last year with Josh Dobbs at the end.
The part about the LT I agree with TLEF316, he was trying to initiate a cut block, get the defenders hands down. Which he did accomplish, but that's all it did. If it was by design, Rodgers' response seems odd. The draft capital your team invested to get him, they have that back!! Go get your guy, Tannehill has a lot of experience, has won in the playoffs!!

Thanks for keeping the discussion as positive as it can be.

Tough night for Jets fans as they finally seemed to have all the pieces. Great outcome with the Win of course but we've all seen how important a good QB is.

I think Wilson may be better than we think and this team is loaded in other positions. They'll still be a problem for the league if they can get good play from the QB.
I feel that is the play for this team. Get behind your #2 and move forward.

Im still processing - but some quick thoughts.

Stadium was as electric as Ive seen in decades as a season ticket holder.

When Vinny was announced as honorary I must admit I thought it was a jinx type move before the injury - once it happened I was completely irrationally screaming about the Vinny jinx lol

When Rodgers went down - the entire stadium was silent. Closest thing I remember is the eerily similar Vinny injury. People were not even watching the game for a while - just crushing twitter for updates

I watched the play and listened to a few in the know and it seems that it was a designed chop block and Rodgers just held the ball a second to long and took and awkward hit/fall. Hes had that calf injury earlier in camp - I recall Durant having a similar issue before he tore his achilles - not sure if it was a fluke or bound to happen - not that it matters

Once the shock wore off - people got back into the game and took out frustration on Buffalo - what a performance by the defense. Loved to see the kid run it back and watching Saleh be one of the 1st to jump on him was awesome. Fantastic win and they now beat Buffalo twice with a mediocre to lousy Zach

Where to go from here? So many questions and possiblities

I am convinced this team is ready to win it all now more than ever which is why the injury is so devastating. I give Zach credit for going out there and not losing the game but he looked the same old Zach to me. Ill give him a break as it couldnt be easy to come off the bench into that mess. Im giving him a few games where he is the focal point before even considering moving on. Hoping Rodgers is on the sidelines in coach mode

As for whats out there - yuck. Nothing really moves the needle - only one that doesnt make me completely sick is Wentz as he is still somewhat young and has shown talent. Id bring him in to kick the tires and if cheap why not

As for Rodgers - who knows what he is thinking right now. Guy poured his heart and soul into this franchise and it just is brutal. He could easily say forget it - not commin back or be determined to not go out like that. I may be crazy but I think he comes back. Small silver lining is they keep their 1st rder thx to the conditions.

Dallas is going to be a very tall order to even be competitive let alone win - huge test for Zach and that O to keep them in it.

Still feels like a funeral - we all thought this would be a season to remember - maybe it still is - as Parcells said when Vinny went down - They arent cancelling the rest of the season - Nobody is going to cry for the team. Hopefully they find a way to move forward- the talent is there

Still feels like a funeral - we all thought this would be a season to remember - maybe it still is - as Parcells said when Vinny went down - They arent cancelling the rest of the season - Nobody is going to cry for the team. Hopefully they find a way to move forward- the talent is there

Feel for you guys. I was with everyone else on that intro. https://x.com/Football_Guys/status/1701388423557263631?s=20

But you're 100% right. As was Parcells. They're not canceling the season. Part of what I think people love about Football is how it mirrors life. Jets fans and this team just had the rug pulled out on at the very beginning. But nobody is crying for them as they'll be expected to compete. And I think they'll compete well. This isn't the Cardinals losing Kyler Murray. This is a team that's loaded with talent. With just adequate QB play they can be a true problem for teams.

Guys…(Jets fans).

It’s over this year.

The OL is average at best and that’s being nice. None of these “veteran” QB’s can have any semblance of the performance you need.

To me the best option is already on your roster. Zach “Milf Hunter” Wilson. Let him play and ride it.

the jets were decent last year with Mike white and others playing QB. They beat the bills. With competent to good QB play they’re possibly among the best in the league. Maybe they just ride Wilson but it seems way too pessimistic to just think it’s over for this crew. Saleh can’t believe that.

Not one person thinks the bigger, overarching story here is the Zach Wilson rise from the ashes?

The mentor is killed off and the unlikely hero and must go on a journey to show the world he's transformed?

I have to think most everyone thinks that. That's the logical move.

Now whether or not he can truly rise up is the question. But if I'm the Jets, he's 10x the best choice of the realistic possible choices out there it seems.

Guys…(Jets fans).

It’s over this year.

the jets were decent last year with Mike white and others playing QB. They beat the bills. With competent to good QB play they’re possibly among the best in the league. Maybe they just ride Wilson but it seems way too pessimistic to just think it’s over for this crew. Saleh can’t believe that.
The cap probably doesn’t work but Kyler would be interesting if the cards wanted to officially move on (and he can get back on the field) - but that’s probably just FF / madden GM.
I think their defense is top 3 no question.

But once you get into the post season….it really becomes about what QB is able to make plays consistently. So it’s a tough mountain to climb.

I just know this first hand from last years Dolphins. It always comes down to QB play 95% of the time in the post season.

Now whether or not he can truly rise up is the question. But if I'm the Jets, he's 10x the best choice of the realistic possible choices out there it seems.

You have to give him a few weeks anyway, and give him a real gameplan too. The second part is what I fear the most - they will stack the box against Hall and Cook, but if all they let him do are conservative screens and quick outs/etc (which he hasn't shown to be very good at anyway), that's not going to work.

Also @Dr. Octopus on the thread title with "it ends". What are you saying has ended?

Sure, they'd much rather have Rodgers as QB than Wilson or someone else. But their season is far from over.
Because it was “It Begins” right before kickoff and I changed it right after Rodgers went down.

Seems like an update is in order. Or maybe clarity that you mean the Rodgers season has ended. But this is the Jets thread, not the Rodgers thread. And the Jets season is off to 1-0 start with a big win over a Super Bowl contender. Now facing huge questions about how they move forward for Week 2.

You have to give him a few weeks anyway, and give him a real gameplan too. The second part is what I fear the most - they will stack the box against Hall and Cook, but if all they let him do are conservative screens and quick outs/etc (which he hasn't shown to be very good at anyway), that's not going to work.
Part of the reason they were even in the game was a crucial 3rd and 9 where with pressure in his face, Zach threw a dart to Wilson.

And then there was the off-script conversion under pressure where he found a dude on the outside throwing off-balance.

Two good plays that helped the jets win. If Wilson can make plays like that more consistently, this team will win more games.

Let the redemption arc continue! 🚀

Reactions: jwb
And while I was clearly half-joking, I have to point to point out that I totally predicted this.

I just didn’t think it would happen after 4 plays.

Oh yeah, and now he has to take them to the SB and lose to the 49ers for the entire prediction to come true.

But I’m off to a good start!

And on a more serious note, it could be argued in good faith that Zach Wilson was better than Josh Allen last night.

Allen’s reckless play resulted in 3 interceptions.

Reactions: jwb
We really have no choice but to rally behind Zach and maybe somehow see the possible good.

He was better than we've ever seen him last night. No doubt about that. Was it great and inspring? No. Can it get better, especially now that he's certainly the #1 again and will get #1 reps after a training camp working with Rodgers and hopefully still having him around? It almost has to. That has to be the hope anyway.

I'm a fan. I still have hope. I always do. I paid for the sunday ticket mainly to watch and root for the Jets here in NC, so that's what I'm gonna do.

We really have no choice but to rally behind Zach and maybe somehow see the possible good.

He was better than we've ever seen him last night. No doubt about that. Was it great and inspring? No. Can it get better, especially now that he's certainly the #1 again and will get #1 reps after a training camp working with Rodgers and hopefully still having him around? It almost has to. That has to be the hope anyway.

I'm a fan. I still have hope. I always do. I paid for the sunday ticket mainly to watch and root for the Jets here in NC, so that's what I'm gonna do.
He was accurate on his short passes at least. What I’ve noticed is he drops back like 15 yards on every play to throw it for five yards - hope they start getting a little more creative with him.

Sept 12, 1999
Vinny Testaverde tears his Achilles to open the season, think the Jets played the Broncos prior year in the AFCC
Rich Eisen mentioned Testaverde was in the building last night during the pregame festivities

Users who are viewing this thread