What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (2 Viewers)

Final synopsis from my perspective.....

QB- obviously a disaster. Stranger things have happened....I guess. But they obviously need to proceed as if Wilson is a sunk cost and plan around getting him off the roster as soon as it is financially doable. Let him "reset" and compete in camp next year......but you need to bring in a viable NFL starting QB and pencil them in as a starter. Whether that's Carr or Jimmy G (the 2 most likely candidates, IMO), you need someone that you know can move the football at a league-average level. I'm going off the assumption that Lamar will not shake loose and that they wouldn't pursue someone like Rodgers or Brady if they became available. Would like to see them re-sign White at a reasonable number. But you can only spend so much $$ at QB.

RB- IMO, other than QB....the health of Breece Hall is going to define next season. And that's not a great bet. As someone (forgetting who it was) outlined earlier....RB's generally aren't 100% year 1 post ACL. Bam Knight looked great early and then fell off with the rest of the offense. Maybe a healthy/rebuilt offensive line is enough for a Knight/Carter/James Robinson/not 100% Breece committee to be productive. Sure hope so.

WR- If I'm going to say "I told you so" about ZACH Wilson, I have to eat some crow about Garrett Wilson. While I also liked him, I wanted Jameson Williams (knowing it would basically be a red shirt year. I believed and still believe he's a game breaking talent). Turns out Garrett is a potential top 5 stud who was incredibly productive year 1, so I was obviously wrong. So glad they have him. The rest of the crew is iffy. Corey Davis just isn't an elite pass catcher (great blocker) and isn't worth the $$. He'll have to be re-structured. They need to figure out what they have in Moore and whether he can be salvaged and properly utilized as a WR2. And then they need to determine if Mims is part of their plans and what they want to do with Berrios (thank God his deal was short and relatively cheap). Lots of decisions to make here

OL- again.....lots of unknowns here. I assume AVT comes back and resumes his all-pro trajectory. Becton is a total wild card. Brown could retire (or he could come back and give you one more really solid year with a repaired shoulder) Tomlinson was really bad this year (Michael Nania is posting some pretty shockingly bad reps on twitter) but they're stuck with him for 1 more year. McGovern is a FA, as is Fant. No idea what this unit looks like in September. And if they do move on from MLF, do they shift away from the SF zone blocking system to something more power based? Seems unlikely, but it would help get the most value out of Becton.

TE- Ruckert apparently was destroying dudes blocking yesterday. Hopefully they give him a chance to have a bigger role next year. Uzamah didn't do much at all this year but his contract is uncuttable. Conklin was productive most of the year but is pretty meh.

DL- decisions to make here too. Obviously you have to pay Q. Pay him whatever you need to pay him. He's elite and has earned it. Lawson was reasonably productive this year by the end (7 sacks) but not worth the $15.33M cap number. Re-structure (or cut) and use the $$ to pay Bryce Huff (who is a restricted FA). Gotta get Jermaine Johnson into a starting role and up the snaps for Clemmons. Both showed excellent potential. \

LB- Tough situation. Mosley is cuttable post June 1 and carries a $21.4M cap number. So that's a re-structure or cut situation. I'd bring back Alexander and Quincy williams (I believe both are UFA) but this is a spot I'd look to upgrade on day 2 of the draft if someone they like is there. This D needs a future leader/play caller in the middle once they move on from Mosley.

CB- Obviously the best part of the team. Sauce is everything they hoped for and more and Reed was great (and still just 26 years old) Michael Carter II is a good to very good slot guy and i guess Echols is a decent enough (and cheap) 4th guy. Would have been nice to extract some value from Hall via a trade (Seems like someone would have given up a pick for him prior to the year) but after a year of DNP's, that's not happening now. Feel bad for that due....seems like he's a startable NFL CB and his career is getting wrecked due to lack of opportunity. Hard to believe he kept his mouth shut all year while a guy like Moore popped off in a middle of a winning streak.

S- Joyner is bad. Whitehead is terrible in coverage. Davis was a bad pick compounded by a bad decision to keep him (instead of Pinnock). Just a total re-build back there again.

ST's - Greg the Leg was mostly really good all year. Missed some long ones in tough spots, but given how bad our situation has been for so long, I think you have to bring him back. Mann will forever be known as the guy that cost us Lawrence and he is incredibly inconsistent (and cost them at least 1 game this year). Time to move on. They have Hardee under contract for 1 more year, which I dig. The guy is a leader and clearly cares deeply about his craft. Sucks to pay 2M for a guy that only plays specials, but he's worth it.

Coaching- I think Saleh should stay with a playoff mandate. Despite the late season swoon, Ulbrich should obviously stay. I want MLF gone. He occasionally breaks out something relatively creative in the passing game, but most of the time he seems to have no idea what he's doing. He did nothing to develop Zach and couldn't scrape together single TD the last 3 weeks. He's the obvious scapegoat and I hope they move on.

@NFLRookieWatch
Sauce Gardner’s final rookie season stats:

• 642 coverage snaps
• 73 targets
• 33 receptions allowed (344 yards)
• 20 passes defensed
• 2 INT

The Jets rookie CB put together a season that will NEVER be forgotten

Congrats on the likely Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Awesome rookie year for Garret Wilson as well.

Plus Breece Hall.

@NFLRookieWatch
Sauce Gardner’s final rookie season stats:

• 642 coverage snaps
• 73 targets
• 33 receptions allowed (344 yards)
• 20 passes defensed
• 2 INT

The Jets rookie CB put together a season that will NEVER be forgotten

Congrats on the likely Defensive Rookie of the Year.
Those are Revis numbers. Whew.

Q saying all the right things at his wrap up press conference.

He's a team guy, wants what's best for the team but "wants to be compensated for what I am" (which is a top 3 DT in the league, for sure).

Says he's done everything right on and off the field (which is 100% true other than the gun carry charge...which seemed like more of a not understanding the rules thing). Say's he'll let his agent handle everything but will skip the voluntary portion of the off-season program if he isn't extended by then (which is extremely reasonable and well within his rights)

Seems like a good kid who wants to be here. But he wants to be paid as the elite player that he is. So hopefully that happens. And hopefully once that happens (I'm confident it WILL get done) lets just pray we dont get another Mo Wilkerson situation (where he totally mailed it in and immedietely became a problem) I would think we're ok on that front, but Wilkerson was a model citizen too and it flipped as soon as the check cleared.

Get it done Joe.

Q saying all the right things at his wrap up press conference.

He's a team guy, wants what's best for the team but "wants to be compensated for what I am" (which is a top 3 DT in the league, for sure).

Says he's done everything right on and off the field (which is 100% true other than the gun carry charge...which seemed like more of a not understanding the rules thing). Say's he'll let his agent handle everything but will skip the voluntary portion of the off-season program if he isn't extended by then (which is extremely reasonable and well within his rights)

Seems like a good kid who wants to be here. But he wants to be paid as the elite player that he is. So hopefully that happens. And hopefully once that happens (I'm confident it WILL get done) lets just pray we dont get another Mo Wilkerson situation (where he totally mailed it in and immedietely became a problem) I would think we're ok on that front, but Wilkerson was a model citizen too and it flipped as soon as the check cleared.

Get it done Joe.
been a long time since a Jets 1st rder earned a second contract - Q did and then some. Saleh talks about wanting current Jets to get paid if they earn it - no better than Q. I dont think he'll go the way of Mo - the guy has been a beast and has a drive to keep getting better. D will be anchored for years with him and Sauce

Jets could do damage with even a mediocre QB. Miami couldn't cover Wilson and that was with an over the hill Flacco throwing him the ball. Top defense, some young playmakers, etc, etc. But as a Miami fan, I know that you can't do anything without fixing the QB position.

What a tale of 2 seasons. The first half of the season was one of the best in many years. The second half was one of the worst considering how the first half went.

Saleh won't be fired and deserves another season to improve, but he looked in over his head plenty of times this year. His use or lack-of use of timeouts, certain in-game decisions , and team coming out flat in the second half of the season deserves some scrutiny. These are all things that he can improve. At some point though, the bs in press conferences and gimmicks like t-shirts gets old. Let's see how he handles his staff decisions as the heat gets turned up.

MLF - was a disaster this year. No tds the last 3 games? I get that the QB situation was bad, but it goes beyond that. Forget the fans for a second, look at how the players talked about the offense at the end of the season. "We were predictable. They knew what we were doing once they had film on us". Clearly the frustration went beyond the QB position. Look at E. Moore earlier this season. He didn't handle it well, but he wasn't totally wrong either. Does Saleh get rid of his buddy? Not sure. Maybe he settles for getting him some help.

Ulbrich - He probably squeezed the most out of that defense as possible considering that his safeties were terrible, he didn't have a run-stopper, and his LBs were average at best.

QB - Groundhog day. Maybe it's time to get a veteran QB that can be average. We can't have the worst statistical QB year after year.

O-line: Injuries killed the o-line. Draft a couple of guys early this year. It has to be fixed.

Mann - Get lost! He killed us this year. How does he go from best in college to bottom 2 in the pros? Get someone new in here.

Q -Pay the man. He deserves it. Hell of a season.

Breece Hall and AVT - We really missed these guys. That Denver game was brutal.

Wilson: On what happens if the Jets sign a veteran QB: "I'm going to make that dude's life hell in practice every day". I believe him. He's great at making people's life hell. Finally something he is good at.

Wilson: On what happens if the Jets sign a veteran QB: "I'm going to make that dude's life hell in practice every day". I believe him. He's great at making people's life hell. Finally something he is good at.
Tell me he didn’t really say that.

Every time Saleh was given a chance to say MLF was definitely coming back he didnt take the bait. I think hes either gone or a vet is commin in to work with him - im ok with both.

Interesting offseason for JD - not a ton of cap room to work with at $18M....could free up around $40M more by cutting Lawson, Davis, Whitehead, Berrios and Brown. They have a ton of cap room in 2024 ($116M with a lot more with some easy cuts) so may be able to be creative with FAs (incl Q) and push most of the $ to next year.

Im not sold that carr would want to play in NY - I see Jimmy G as too good a match - I think he comes in along with White to be the backup, a big Q contract and mostly depth signings in FA. They need the injured Becton, AVT and Hall to come back and this is a much better team without even splurging in FA. Draft another OL and LB/S and this should be a playoff team next yr.

Mock draft season is upon us, and I've seen a few recent ones by the larger sites suggesting the Raiders take Levis at 1.07.

I've also seen one with the Raiders trading up to 4 (after the Bears trade with INDY) to take Young or Stroud at 4, which IMO would be a much better idea.

I suspect Raiders fans would rather have Stroud, but IMO either would be a nice fit.

Carr to NYJ is the flip-side to this. That said, he's been a pretty poor bad weather QB, historically. NY isn't exactly dry & warm during much of the NFL season, so.....yeah.

Mock draft season is upon us, and I've seen a few recent ones by the larger sites suggesting the Raiders take Levis at 1.07.

I've also seen one with the Raiders trading up to 4 (after the Bears trade with INDY) to take Young or Stroud at 4, which IMO would be a much better idea.

I suspect Raiders fans would rather have Stroud, but IMO either would be a nice fit.

Carr to NYJ is the flip-side to this. That said, he's been a pretty poor bad weather QB, historically. NY isn't exactly dry & warm during much of the NFL season, so.....yeah.
I have a feeling Vegas goes with Brady and takes one of the 3 QBs to develop for a year.

Carr will be much more expensive than Jimmy G. His contract is $34M if traded - which im still not sold JD would do. If he's cut he's going to command a much bigger payday than Jimmy G and lastly Im not convinced he would even come to the JEts.

Jimmy G made $13M last year and got hurt again - cant see him getting more than $15-20M on the open market. Also the familiarity is huge - if you are Saleh and you have a win or fired season coming up I dont see how he doesnt bring in a QB that he knows can run the system. Cover your bets by bringing White back and ZW in development hell for a year.

As for Whitehead - he's $10M - like Lawson thats way too much for the production - hopefully they renegotiate it if Saleh is a fan -

I have a feeling Vegas goes with Brady and takes one of the 3 QBs to develop for a year.

Carr will be much more expensive than Jimmy G. His contract is $34M if traded - which im still not sold JD would do. If he's cut he's going to command a much bigger payday than Jimmy G and lastly Im not convinced he would even come to the JEts.

Jimmy G made $13M last year and got hurt again - cant see him getting more than $15-20M on the open market. Also the familiarity is huge - if you are Saleh and you have a win or fired season coming up I dont see how he doesnt bring in a QB that he knows can run the system. Cover your bets by bringing White back and ZW in development hell for a year.

As for Whitehead - he's $10M - like Lawson thats way too much for the production - hopefully they renegotiate it if Saleh is a fan -

Carr is light years better than anything we have, but so are probably you and Dr. Octopus. I don't like him for what he would cost and I certainly don't want to trade for him. I watched just about every game he played this season and he missed a ton of throws. He also made some great ones. I don't think he's worth the money. The outdoor stats like you mentioned are troubling, too.

I don't think Jimmy G is that great either, but for I rather have him than Carr for half the price.

Even Brissett is better than what we have.

As much as I trashed the kid this summer....I have to be fair. Becton looks to be in very good shape right now. Clearly the lightest he's been since he was drafted.

Obviously football shape and a healthy knee is another matter, but it looks like he's on the right path. Hopefully becoming a dad and seeing his career in limbo after 2 lost years has scares him straight

As much as I trashed the kid this summer....I have to be fair. Becton looks to be in very good shape right now. Clearly the lightest he's been since he was drafted.

Obviously football shape and a healthy knee is another matter, but it looks like he's on the right path. Hopefully becoming a dad and seeing his career in limbo after 2 lost years has scares him straight
it would be a huge plus if Becton comes in healthy and nails down one of the tackle spot at above avg play. Id still consider drafting a LT - with AVT back OL would be much improved.

Oh my heck!

So...just for fun....if the Bears fall hard for Bryce Young and start up a Justin Fields derby do you have interest and if so at what price in return?

-QG

Oh my heck!

So...just for fun....if the Bears fall hard for Bryce Young and start up a Justin Fields derby do you have interest and if so at what price in return?

-QG
Fields is still very much a raw project - Saleh is win now.....I just dont see them going for a rookie/young QB as the starter.

I love Fields for fantasy - but he hasnt shown much as an NFL QB in my opinion - not his fault as he didnt have much to work with. I dont see the Bears getting a huge haul for him - maybe 1 1st rder and a mid rd. dont think it will be the jets tho if he is avalable

Put him in a plastic bubble like John Travolta in that 70s movie. Maybe we can have him at the start of camp.

Oh my heck!

-QG

I rather have Fields than WIlson, but I don't feel like spending draft picks on QBs right now. So Senator, here is my offer:

Oh my heck!

-QG

I rather have Fields than WIlson, but I don't feel like spending draft picks on QBs right now. So Senator, here is my offer:

Agreed, although if Poles put up the fee for a seat license personally, I might be swayed.

Oh my heck!

-QG

I wanted Fields over Wilson in the draft - but agree it would be too painful to give up assets now and to be honest he’s still not a great passer in Year 2 (but did show improvement). Obviously he’s an elite runner and it would be exciting - but not sure it’s the best fit in this offense. even if MLF* is fired, I don’t think the offense scheme changes.

I don’t think the Bears are trading Fields anyway though.

*first time I ever used it and now will. I don’t take kindly to weirdos telling me what to do.

How do you explain MLF getting huge fantasy days out of Flacco, White, and Johnson in 2021, without GW, BH, or Conklin?

How do you explain MLF getting huge fantasy days out of Flacco, White, and Johnson in 2021, without GW, BH, or Conklin?
Personally unlike the rest in here, I’m ok with MLF for the reasons you state. I’m not sure how we can judge an offense when your QB can’t complete screen passes. I thought the rushing attack was pretty creative - and at the end of 2022 the Jets o-line was in such complete shambles and the QBs were just not good.
I won’t shed any tears if he’s let go though - the main thing I care about this off-season is adding a QB and drafting some OL. This team is talented and the offense will work as long as the team has a capable QB.

Reactions: LBH

Oh my heck!

-QG

I wanted Fields over Wilson in the draft - but agree it would be too painful to give up assets now and to be honest he’s still not a great passer in Year 2 (but did show improvement). Obviously he’s an elite runner and it would be exciting - but not sure it’s the best fit in this offense. even if MLF* is fired, I don’t think the offense scheme changes.

I don’t think the Bears are trading Fields anyway though.

*first time I ever used it and now will. I don’t take kindly to weirdos telling me what to do.
Yes, I think Fields would change the whole structure of the offense and not one that this team has built around. A dynamic running QB would be nice, but with their running game and defense, they just need a game manager that can move the offense and limit turnovers.

Listening to some podcasts - lots of chatter about a possible Arod trade...the more I think about it the more it makes sense to me - definitely a longshot but its a shot.

Certainly looks like a restart in GB

Love needs a shot at some point - Jets connection with MLF/Saleh - if traded Jets could send a 1st for him - GB would want to send him out of the conference. 2 yr window for both Jets and ARod - and Arod is close to ZW so he could help "develop" him.

Jets went down this road before -looked good until injury.

Certainly something to watch

I like fields and certainly wish they had drafted him. But trading multiple picks for him now seems unlikely.

At this point, building up the o line and getting a solid veteran game manager (Unless something crazy happens with Lamar becoming available) is the move

Did you see how many points the defense gave up last year? Lots of garbage points.

In Mike White's 4 games, the defense gave up 54, 31, 45, and 45. Johnson took over for White when he got injured when they gave up 45 to Indy.

Also, E Moore was ridiculous during that stretch of garbage points. He had 140 yards in Flacco's game against Miami (24-17 loss).

MLF did have that one nice gadget play vs Indy. I'll give him that one.

Wow...surprised he actually did it/allowed it to happen. LaFleur is out, per twitter

Edit: Aaron Wilson may have jumped the gun. Rosenblatt says it's not true (at least not yet)

Last edited:
I tend to think he’s a scapegoat but I suppose sometimes that’ something that’s necessary. Once it happens I won’t think about MLF again, and I will be excited for what almost has to be a better offense next season.

I tend to think he’s a scapegoat but I suppose sometimes that’ something that’s necessary. Once it happens I won’t think about MLF again, and I will be excited for what almost has to be a better offense next season.

Well, his job was to run the offense and also develop it. We were 29th in points. We scored less than the prior year. We're regressing, not improving/developing. Those are facts. I'm sure we can all agree that circumstances leading to those results were not in his favor, but it's a bottom line business and he wasn't producing. Wilson stinks and has gotten worse. It might have been different with AVT, Hall, and an average QB. We know that he couldn't produce under current circumstances. Bring in the next miracle worker for Groundhog Day: The Jets.

Sounds like other teams are looking to hire him. For what role, we don't know yet, but it sounds like he won't be out of work for too long.

He could be a very good coach at some level a few years from now. And maybe that comes back to bite us. But right now, I don't think he's very good at all.

And they couldn't afford to wait and see. I get it

I get that they struggled to develop Wilson, and Flacco/White aren’t exactly Montana/Young, plus Hall got hurt.

I’m inclined to agree that it wasn’t all on Lafleur.

But when you’re the OC, you’re going to be judged by 1 thing, and for better or worse (mostly worse) they were 29th in points.

Makes him an easy target.

Well, his job was to run the offense and also develop it. We were 29th in points. We scored less than the prior year. We're regressing, not improving/developing. Those are facts. I'm sure we can all agree that circumstances leading to tho
Yes, I get it and have no real issue with him going. I have faith in Douglas and Saleh deciding what direction to go at QB and Douglas to further shore up the line.

I think either way the offense was going to get much better - but understand that you can’t take the chance by sticking with MLF. Some one does have to pay the price.

Woody's finger prints all over this one. First you have Saleh throwing support just 2 weeks ago about bringing him back - now he is leaving due to "interest from other teams" - as what? Hes not going to get another OC job - so obviously Saleh was forced to decide to fire him or be fired and MLF took his buddy off the hook. I dont have an issue with it - but they better get someone obviously better and not a tired retread. Not sure who would take this job with Saleh in a win or out year.

Woody's finger prints all over this one. First you have Saleh throwing support just 2 weeks ago about bringing him back - now he is leaving due to "interest from other teams" - as what? Hes not going to get another OC job - so obviously Saleh was forced to decide to fire him or be fired and MLF took his buddy off the hook. I dont have an issue with it - but they better get someone obviously better and not a tired retread. Not sure who would take this job with Saleh in a win or out year.

According to Tony Pauline, it was JD that wanted him gone for not developing Wilson.

According to Tony Pauline, it was JD that wanted him gone for not developing Wilson.

That's just. . .that doesn't bode well for the Jets in the future. Wilson's done. Kaput. He's over. No reclamation on this one. This is Hackenberg own up to it bad. If he's still upset that LaFleur didn't develop Wilson, you've got major problems.

That's just. . .that doesn't bode well for the Jets in the future. Wilson's done. Kaput. He's over. No reclamation on this one. This is Hackenberg own up to it bad. If he's still upset that LaFleur didn't develop Wilson, you've got major problems.

He can be upset that MLF (weird hill to die on by our buddy) didn't develop the QB, but it doesn't necessarily mean that he believes Wilson can still be salvaged. I'm guessing he probably does, but regardless, he probably wants a coordinator that can develop players.

The other related tidbit in that podcast is that MLF is very strict about keeping to his system and the specific types of players that fit his system. He doesn't mold it around the capabilities and strengths of his players. The point he was making was that when our starters got hurt, the back-ups were not perfect fits for his system and he wasn't able to work around that.

Confirms scapegoating here because JD is the one who drafted him.

The other related tidbit in that podcast is that MLF is very strict about keeping to his system and the specific types of players that fit his system. He doesn't mold it around the capabilities and strengths of his players. The point he was making was that when our starters got hurt, the back-ups were not perfect fits for his system and he wasn't able to work around that.

Yeah, that's a big problem with this crew. They don't match the system to the talent, they want their own guys for the system. That can't happen in the NFL. Just doesn't work that way where you can run that system. There's already a team out West that has first dibs on all those system guys. We stand in line for those guys. Need to adapt.

They were barely adapting to Breece's patient running style until it proved too much for them to keep him off the field. I remember Saleh effusively complimenting Bam Knight about how he fit their system. Well, Bam is a UDFA, fella, and we saw what happened as other teams adjusted.

I don't know. I've never liked that element of this crew. It started with Mims, too. He had to work his way out of a long doghouse and he's a dachshund anyway. It's why I don't defend Saleh too much. He's really not that great of a coach. He just deserves another year.

Yeah, that's a big problem with this crew. They don't match the system to the talent, they want their own guys for the system. That can't happen in the NFL. Just doesn't work that way where you can run that system. There's already a team out West that has first dibs on all those system guys. We stand in line for those guys. Need to adapt.

They were barely adapting to Breece's patient running style until it proved too much for them to keep him off the field. I remember Saleh effusively complimenting Bam Knight about how he fit their system. Well, Bam is a UDFA, fella, and we saw what happened as other teams adjusted.

I don't know. I've never liked that element of this crew. It started with Mims, too. He had to work his way out of a long doghouse and he's a dachshund anyway. It's why I don't defend Saleh too much. He's really not that great of a coach. He just deserves another year.

I'm not a fan of our coaches, but then part of me wonders would we ever be happy with our coaches unless we start winning? My feeling is that we get less out of players than other teams, particularly on offense. Maybe not the defense this year.

Gotta wonder what we could have done with Daboll. Daniel Jones is not an all-star, but he looks so much better. Look at the no-name receivers that are doing well. BB's teams always seem to get more out of his players. He always turns guys into high dollar free agents that don't replicate the same success elsewhere. SF can make Purdy look decent.

A part of a problem is that we don't get established coaches here. We get failure retreads like Gase or we get first time coaches and coordinators. Always learning on the job.

Users who are viewing this thread