What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Las Vegas Raiders - RIP Jack - one of the greatest Super Bowl moments ever (2 Viewers)

Indy seems like a trap game. Coming off a huge win then have the Broncos after Indy. Hope this level of intensity remains and if AP can pull that off will be very hard not to keep him at HC
I think as Raiders fans we will always expect the worst until shown otherwise . Call it a feel good vibe i get from this team , but i think that shutout vs the Vikings was the last trap game this season . If scoring 63 points wasnt a mental trap before going on the road to KC than nothing is a trap :-)

I think the team is going to find a way to win the rest of this season.

Interesting idea, assuming Cousin is available. The big question is what kind of money would Cousin want. What is your comfort level with paying a 35 yo QB that lacks mobility $35 per year guaranteed for 2 or 3 years? If they upgrade the oline, it might make sense.
No thanks. I like him, but that’s too much money coming off injury. if he’s willing to take a deal, than yes.

Watching baker mayfield play makes me wish they had rolled the dice with him instead of the dreamboat. Next year is probably going to be journeyman qb or a rookie at the helm. Super trooper ain’t it
I think Bakers resurgence has more to do with his QB coach, same guy who was with Geno and Lock last year. We need that guy
I just like the energy. Plays like a raider. Dude is a little off
Bring them both in

Indy seems like a trap game. Coming off a huge win then have the Broncos after Indy. Hope this level of intensity remains and if AP can pull that off will be very hard not to keep him at HC
I think we will really get a good test of AP's leadership.

He has shown he can get the team up for rival games, come back from a bad game, and going in against what is supposed to be one of the premier teams in the leauge. Now, does he keep them up and fighting coming off a win like that to a team that they should beat or do they come down from the high and lay down.

I have full confidence that THIS Raider team will come in and fight. Any given Sunday of course but what I do not expect to happen is for them to come into the game without ready to leave it all on the field.

Imagine coach AP with a functional offense and unbiased officiating. The latter will never happen, but the former could.

I love the similarities between John Maddens rise to coaching the Raiders and AP`s rise .

This could be true fate in action.

Imagine coach AP with a functional offense and unbiased officiating. The latter will never happen, but the former could.
I dunno.... the Raiders could be a story line that the league would want to push. Assuming Champ and AP get the jobs, that is a black President, black GM, black HC and black DC. If they moved on from Bo and hired a black OC that would be every major job held by an African American. Now, me personally, I don't care... I just want the right people in. Sandra Douglas seemed well qualified, very smart and not to forget gorgeous. I am on record from when we hired Champ that that was a great get that I was surprised we pulled off and that he should get the GM role. I have been singing AP's praises here and Graham has finally turned this defense around that has been recently playing the best defensive football in the NFL. I don't think any of them are diversity hires but the reality is that is the kind of thing that the league would want to push out into the forefront for PR and interest purposes.

It would sure be a change for the league to actively push the Raiders out in front.

I think as Raiders fans we will always expect the worst until shown otherwise . Call it a feel good vibe i get from this team , but i think that shutout vs the Vikings was the last trap game this season . If scoring 63 points wasnt a mental trap before going on the road to KC than nothing is a trap :-)

The offense needs to move the ball and score some points. The D can’t win games by itself like they did Sunday.

The offense needs to move the ball and score some points. The D can’t win games by itself like they did Sunday.
the Offense is really bad. Even with that charger game they’ve averaged 16.1 ppg since the bye. Upside is the D is nearly averaging 9 points a game in the same span. 😂. It’s obviously not sustainable.

Broncos pull a Raiders/Carr/benching move with Russell Wilson.
I’ve never heard of a team doing this kind of this over all the years watching this game, and now it’s twice in 2 years. Weird.
also strange that, at 7-8 and not mathematically eliminated, the Broncos basically throw in the towel. Not a good message to send, and we know that because it didn’t work out well at all for the Raiders last regime.

hopefully we go into a meaningful week 18 game with the playoffs on the line and we destroy the broncos.

I’ve never heard of a team doing this kind of this over all the years watching this game, and now it’s twice in 2 years. Weird.
also strange that, at 7-8 and not mathematically eliminated, the Broncos basically throw in the towel. Not a good message to send, and we know that because it didn’t work out well at all for the Raiders last regime.

hopefully we go into a meaningful week 18 game with the playoffs on the line and we destroy the broncos.
I think the message it sends is that Russ is not in Denver's future plans and they don't want to risk paying him any more than they have to eating up valuable cap space that would be better spent elsewhere. It's been discussed a ton already, but I still don't see how the Carr benching hurt the Raiders. They moved on from a mediocre QB that was getting paid way too much of the salary cap. The Jimmy G signing was also a mistake, but that's separate from the Carr benching. Think New Orleans would like a redo with the Carr signing?

still don't see how the Carr benching hurt the Raiders

Difference is Carr could've netted the Raiders some decent draft capital had they played the game and not benched him - evidenced by the contract he received from NO.

Russ has zero trade value.

Difference is Carr could've netted the Raiders some decent draft capital had they played the game and not benched him - evidenced by the contract he received from NO.

Carr still had the no trade clause and the early guarantee deadline. I just don't see how benching him impacted the ability to trade him with no trade clause and the early guaranteed money deadline. They could have gotten draft capital if they let the guarantee deadline pass, but benching him had no impact on the ability to trade him. Benching him only avoided the worst case scenario where he gets hurt and now he gets paid and counts against the cap and still can't get traded cause no one is trading for him if he's injured.

Last edited:

Here are the details: Wilson is currently signed through 2028, but he's only guaranteed money through 2024. That said, his entire 2025 salary ($37M) will be guaranteed if he remains on the Broncos' roster at the start of the next league year (March 17), per Over the Cap. So it's probable Denver will make a decision on the QB's future before then.

The options: The Broncos can outright release Wilson by March 17, but doing so would actually result in a loss of $49.6M in 2024. Denver is already projected to be at least $18M over the 2024 cap, so cutting him straight-up wouldn't be logical. Designating him a post-June 1 release, however, is a distinct possibility. In that scenario, Denver would eat Wilson's 2024 salary ($35.4M) but actually avoid any financial blow to the 2024 cap. In other words, they'd save nothing immediately, but millions beyond 2024.

Carr still had the no trade clause and the early guarantee deadline. I just don't see how benching him impacted the ability to trade him with no trade clause and the early guaranteed money deadline. They could have gotten draft capital if they let the guarantee deadline pass, but benching him had no impact on the ability to trade him. Benching him only avoided the worst case scenario where he gets hurt and now he gets paid and counts against the cap and still can't get traded cause no one is trading for him if he's injured.
Icon is correct here. Carr has a hell of an agent.

Am I the only one who sees the irony in facing Jarrett Stidham in the final game of the year, under very similar circumstances he was in last year for the Raiders? I think Jarrett has found a nice little niche for himself in the NFL. The guy basically makes $1mil per start. Not bad…

Sorry, didn’t mean to have us rehash the pros and cons of the Carr situation.
My main overall point was more about enjoying the Broncos being in a (familiar) crappy situation and I kinda like it when they struggle. ;)

#4 on chiefs is on the list. That dust up with 18 was because he ripped his mouthpiece off and then threw it as far as he could. Raiders than took a time out to get 18 a new mouthpiece

Give me one good reason why AP shouldn't be named our permanent HC.
The uncertainty of being able to build an offense in an NFL geared toward offense.
That is why you have OC's.

Mark Davis Hints at a New Position in the Organization the Raiders Might Soon Create

“That’s a missing piece to the puzzle, so to speak, is a solid football mind that isn’t the GM or the head coach. And I think that’s a piece that’s probably going to be necessary somewhere down the line is bringing in somebody that understands that football that’s above the day-to-day work.”

Normally, a GM is hired to be the “great football mind” of an organization, but Davis seems to have a different twist in mind for the Raiders going forward.

If interim GM Champ Kelly is ultimately hired, it sounds like an additional “football mind” could be a part of the Raiders’ power structure sooner than later.

The uncertainty of being able to build an offense in an NFL geared toward offense.

Mark Davis Hints at a New Position in the Organization the Raiders Might Soon Create

“That’s a missing piece to the puzzle, so to speak, is a solid football mind that isn’t the GM or the head coach. And I think that’s a piece that’s probably going to be necessary somewhere down the line is bringing in somebody that understands that football that’s above the day-to-day work.”

Normally, a GM is hired to be the “great football mind” of an organization, but Davis seems to have a different twist in mind for the Raiders going forward.

If interim GM Champ Kelly is ultimately hired, it sounds like an additional “football mind” could be a part of the Raiders’ power structure sooner than later.

Brady

Brady
You beat me to it by only 59 minutes ;)

One thing that I think should be learned is patience. Too often, expectations drive the deeming of value rather than the actual value and understanding that most players coming into the NFL need time to develop.

Koonce is a great example. A third year player that was a third round selection. He showed some glimpses but the first two years were not much more than a light rotation guy. He has really come on and is now entrenched as our 1A opposite of Maxx.

Wilson has been a target many times of criticism. He is not only a rookie but a rookie coming off of a major foot injury. They have been playing him in multiple spots which indicates he is getting more comfortable in the defense. Stat wise, he is starting to show the potential that got him picked so high. In the last three games, he has 11 pressures and 10 hurries. A lot of that has been from working on the inside. Something I have harped on as being crucial for our defense to really be able to play effectively. (should be noted, guys like Butler, Tillery, Jenkins, Nichols... have also been playing well).

Graham is another example. When we hired McD the one coaching add that I got excited about was Graham. I was not impressed early on but he has shown that with time, he can get his team to play good defense.

Trey Brown. Remember that name

So after the Jack Jones pick 6 i was distracted and only saw a part of what seemed like a skirmish after the play was over and the game resumed , something that involved Jack Jones. He looked heated and i saw AP trying to calm him down , can anyone fill in the blanks?
If you watch as he crosses the goal line he’s talking some major trash to Mahomes. I’m guessing they didn’t appreciate that. Apparently the Chiefs don’t like getting beat up especially at home.
Yea, they cut to him and it looks like Pacheco (I think from memory) and someone else walk up and you can tell there is some talking but there wasn't a lot of body language being thrown around.... then the Chefs keep getting up on him and he kind pushes/punches one of them and that set off the fireworks.
So i finally saw a video on X and it shows the 2 teams jawing at each other and Rice reaches over and yanked Jones`s mouthpiece from his helmet and drops it on the ground. Jones then throws a kind of punch at rice , they get separated and Jones is forced to walk to his own sideline , meanwhile you can see Rice bend down ,pick up Jones mouthpiece and throw it across the field away from the Raiders sideline . I guess they didnt care much for getting slapped around on their own field :laugh:

Trey Brown. Remember that name
Brown has also interviewed for General Manager jobs in the NFL on three separate occasions: with the Buffalo Bills in May 2017, the Oakland Raiders in December 2018, and the Las Vegas Raiders in January 2022

Graham is another example. When we hired McD the one coaching add that I got excited about was Graham. I was not impressed early on but he has shown that with time, he can get his team to play good defense.
#1 fantasy defense since AP took over.

I am open to the idea that McDaniels brought in a bunch of good people. Except for himself.

Total tangent that’s Vegas-related so posting here :)
I bought my wife U2 tickets at the Sphere in Vegas for Xmas/belated-50th-bday gift. I picked a date that was an open weekend in our calendar in the middle of Feb.

of course, after I book the concert tix, then give them to her for Xmas…excitement, excitement…we then go to book the hotel and airfare for that weekend. Flights super expensive, and all the hotels we were targeting were booked up. Strange.

long story short: I’m the idiot who’s going to Vegas on Super Bowl weekend but I’m NOT there to go to the Super Bowl. Doofus

The Jack Jones pulling the football back from the kid was perfect. Exactly what the rivalry needed.

First, the dishonest outrage, like this kid is devastated or something. He'll tell that story for the rest of his life, and probably hates the Raiders now. His life in KC is better, thanks to Jack Jones.

I bought my wife U2 tickets at the Sphere in Vegas for Xmas/belated-50th-bday gift. I picked a date that was an open weekend in our calendar in the middle of Feb.

of course, after I book the concert tix, then give them to her for Xmas…excitement, excitement…we then go to book the hotel and airfare for that weekend. Flights super expensive, and all the hotels we were targeting were booked up. Strange.

long story short: I’m the idiot who’s going to Vegas on Super Bowl weekend but I’m NOT there to go to the Super Bowl. Doofus
oof

Have fun booking your hotel in Laughlin and driving in! :lmao:

I am open to the idea that McDaniels brought in a bunch of good people. Except for himself.
They've had two defensive TDs the last two games. I don't think you can count on that. And the LAC offensive debacle was historic.

Is this D legit? Or is it that KC was just so damn offensively awful?

They do have at least 3 sacks the last three games. Mahommes seemed like he was on the run on every drop back.

Considering starting them, but concerned the become mediocre on the road in Indy...another team battling for a playoff spot.

They've had two defensive TDs the last two games. I don't think you can count on that. And the LAC offensive debacle was historic.

Is this D legit? Or is it that KC was just so damn offensively awful?

They do have at least 3 sacks the last three games. Mahommes seemed like he was on the run on every drop back.

Considering starting them, but concerned the become mediocre on the road in Indy...another team battling for a playoff spot.

Yes, 2 TD's is extremely unlikely again. However, for the most part, most of these big plays were made or forced by good defensive play (the only one I can think of that wasn't was Mahomes dropping the hand off). Koonce is getting home and pair that up with Maxx, that is deadly for any offense.... then add in starting to get pressure up the middle.... with a legit MLB and legit CB's and legit safety play.... this defense.... I seriously can not believe I am saying this.... but the defense is real. In fantasy, you are not going to get those 2 TD's but you will get some sacks, maybe an INT or two and likely some turnovers. The points scored will be low too.

We were wondering why the Best Western Casino Royale was the only “good” (4 star at least) hotel available. It’s right next to the Venetian and a block from the Sphere, so it won out.

if you need someone to book any travel related itinerary, hit me up on the side. I’m a pro’s pro ;)

We were wondering why the Best Western Casino Royale was the only “good” (4 star at least) hotel available. It’s right next to the Venetian and a block from the Sphere, so it won out.

if you need someone to book any travel related itinerary, hit me up on the side. I’m a pro’s pro ;)
That is one of those times that you are all proud of yourself thinking you absolutely knocked it out of the park and then you find out... nope, I am still an idiot. (Or at least that is my life)

Reminds me of when the company that my wife and Iet at had an all up manager meeting which alternated from Anaheim and Seattle year from year. It was Anaheim that particular year so we took vacation time after the work function days and just stayed there for Disneyland and my family etc.

Instead if just getting a room at whatever nice hotel we were already at, I went decided to find a good deal. My wife is picky so "4 star" or higher was my search criteria.

I found a great deal on a "4 star" place... I want to say it was called Anaheim Carriage or something like that. I figured it was a boutique nice place. We walked in and this place was a full on nasty motel. 2 stars would have been ridiculously generous. We spent the entire evening trying to find somewhere else to go but everything was booked solid. We gave up and decided we would barely be there anyways... so we got some cheap blankets to lay over the bed, got cleaning supplies and cleaned the bathroom and kept shoes on the whole time (my wife is Asian so that is VERY odd for us to do).

The following year was in Seattle and we did the same thing by staying longer.... this time I went and found a true 5 star and spent the money because there was NO way that I was going to screw up like that again.

I still hear it to this day any time I make vacation plans almost 20 years later.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread