What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (1 Viewer)

While I feel for Bills fans, I'm not sure that I agree with the current thread title "same as it ever was." I say this because while last night had to sting pretty hard (the prevent defense at the end of regulation was cringe-worthy), there are still a ton of positives coming out of that game that should enable you to both hold your head high (that was one of the best games ever played) and be confident for the future (Josh Allen). In the past, aside from maybe the Norwood miss, you guys never really seemed to be in it then spent the last 20 years in the Patriots' shadow. This objectively seems and feels differently to me than those years and losses and I see no reason to have any pessimism for next year if I were a Bills fan. So, no, this feels different than it ever was.

In contrast, I'm a Vikings fan. Same as it ever was is having talent and a decent team just knowing there's going to be a gut-punch blunder when it looks like we're the favorites and then knowing that the team will be weaker the following year as there hasn't been a franchise QB since Tarkenton. And the losses ('98 Anderson miss, Favre INT, Walsh miss, and the absolute no-show against the Eagles a few years ago) were just seemingly more like blunders/choke jobs/etc. as opposed to what happened last night: two clearly top teams giving each other all they had with somebody having to lose. 

So, yeah, as a Vikings fan please believe me when I genuinely say that I'm jealous of Bills fans right now and Josh Allen and the culture there does seem to be much different in a good way than it "ever was." 
I’m fairly certain that I’m overreacting, but at the same time, the 90s Bills were great teams that fell short and offered up to Bills fans some gut punch losses. So in that sense, having a great team and still falling short in the most gut wrenching way is exactly the same as Bills fans have felt for decades.

And while I would love to have hope and optimism, and while I fully acknowledge that Allen provides an excellent chance for Buffalo to be competitive no matter what, there are no guarantees that things will ever line up like they lined up this year. The team will have quite a bit of turnover this off-season including their assistant GM leaving and likely at least 1 coordinator (the better and more important one). 

I mean, Dan Marino never won a ring. Kelly never won a ring. There are plenty of great QBs who didn’t win the big one. So you’ll have to pardon my negativity when I don’t buy that Buffalo will win one eventually because of Allen. They should have won one this year and they ultimately came up short. That’s all we can bank on right now.

I've refrained from commenting in the thread because I know how this feels from other sports and rooting interests I've had. 

Buffalo, in my estimation, was the best team in football this year (albeit slightly inconsistent) and there's no Super Bowl to show for it. That has to hurt. Sorry, fellas. 

Next year is next year. Shoulders up, head high, and carry on. 

5 stages of Grief 

1. Denial “there’s no way, not 13 seconds”

2. Anger “####### PREVENT DEFENSE SUCKS”

3. Bargaining “change the overtime rules”

4. Depression “this is life as a bills fan”

5. Acceptance “Josh Allen will win us a superbowl #GoBills”

Sorry for your loss. Best game I’ve seen in a long, long time - maybe ever. I don’t have a second team but if I did….

Great future ahead. Y’all are awesome on both sides of the ball. Hope you guys get one soon.

☮️✌🏻

Everything else in the game was bad within normal parameters.  Like the run-run-run-punt series in the third quarter -- that was infuriating, but teams sometimes go three and out and it's not a catastrophe.  

The defense on those last two plays was just flat-out incompetent.  Sorry, I know I don't know Xs-and-Os and far be it from me to tell a professional defensive coordinator whether to play cover-3 or cover-2 or whatever, but you don't need to an expert on defensive alignments to understand that you can't just leave the entire middle of the field unguarded when your opponent only needs a FG and has TOs at their disposal.  That's just flunking plain old situational football.  
They almost played that last 13 seconds like the Chiefs had no TOs and needed a TD. 

I’m fairly certain that I’m overreacting, but at the same time, the 90s Bills were great teams that fell short and offered up to Bills fans some gut punch losses. So in that sense, having a great team and still falling short in the most gut wrenching way is exactly the same as Bills fans have felt for decades.

And while I would love to have hope and optimism, and while I fully acknowledge that Allen provides an excellent chance for Buffalo to be competitive no matter what, there are no guarantees that things will ever line up like they lined up this year. The team will have quite a bit of turnover this off-season including their assistant GM leaving and likely at least 1 coordinator (the better and more important one). 

I mean, Dan Marino never won a ring. Kelly never won a ring. There are plenty of great QBs who didn’t win the big one. So you’ll have to pardon my negativity when I don’t buy that Buffalo will win one eventually because of Allen. They should have won one this year and they ultimately came up short. That’s all we can bank on right now.

This.

The thread title is not because we feel like we have no hope moving forward. It's because every time "we" seem to be one step away from achieving our potential we take a vicious gut punch. The obvious examples are Wide-right, Music City Miracle, and now 13-seconds. There have been many more. The other SB loses. A couple last drive loses to the Pats over the decades of their dominance. The Ronnie Harmon drop. The Stevie Jackson drop. The Lee Evans drop. A MNF (I think) miracle comeback by the Cowboys. The year Fitzmagic needed to beat Steelers backups in week 17 to make the playoffs. The playoff loss to the Texans a couple years ago, where Watson makes a miracle play at the end. 

If you're referring to the Super Bowl with the bold, I'm not so sure I agree. The Bills were very good this year, but they didn't even run away with their division (heck it was only a few weeks ago that the Patriots were favored to win it) let alone go like 14-2 and get a one seed. Also, you know, Mahomes and that game last night if played ten times probably goes 5-5. And, lastly, even if they won they still need to beat a feisty Bengals team and then play the well-balanced Niners/Rams winner. So, no guarantees there even for a very good team. 

Charger fan here - last night was worse than the Marlon McCree game back in 2006. I didn't think that was possible. I was rooting for the Bills, I know how it feels to watch one of the best shots at a Championship the team will ever have get squandered.

In that last 13 seconds, they should have rushed 2, lined two guys up across from Kelce and Hill each, and tackled them as soon as the ball was snapped. Gladly trade 5 yards for how ever many seconds they'd run off during the play. Let the other 7 guys cover Pringle and the rest of the receivers. Pretty much anything but whatever that "defense" was they were running.

Charger fan here - last night was worse than the Marlon McCree game back in 2006.

I mean no disrespect, but I have no idea what "the Marlon McCree game back in 2006" is.

Have you ever heard of wide-right, Music City Miracle, or 13-seconds?

I don't mean to be so negative... I'm sorry. I don't. I just don't know how to process this. It's entirely possible Allen goes into the record books with Jim Kelly as a great QB that just never won a Super Bowl.

I only became a Bills fan around 2003 so I don’t have the weight of some of those past “almosts”. All I have is the drought so for me this feels like the start of a long run and not so much a wasted opportunity that I fear won’t come around again. 

Objectively I don’t see how they are any worse next year and think they still have upside to be better. Their offense was really knocked off course Oct-Dec by weather and lousy line play.  I think the line will be addressed in the off season. 

On defence they might be worse in the regular season but there is no way they can be worse in a deciding playoff game. I would not be surprised to see Allen win an MVP next year. A lot of recency bias and fan glasses in all this but so be it. 

My biggest worry right now is a new OC.  We need someone even more aggressive but fear we may get someone less.

I mean no disrespect, but I have no idea what "the Marlon McCree game back in 2006" is.

Have you ever heard of wide-right, Music City Miracle, or 13-seconds?

I don't mean to be so negative... I'm sorry. I don't. I just don't know how to process this. It's entirely possible Allen goes into the record books with Jim Kelly as a great QB that just never won a Super Bowl.
I've heard of all those things- saw them on t.v. as they happened in fact.

Here's the McCree game highlights. The McCree play happens at about 11:38 in that video if you want to just skip to that. Note that it was 4th and 5 on that particular play, 6:23 left in the 4th quarter. There were lots of other fun things that happened in that game too. Pretty sure that was the Chargers best chance at winning a Championship - though they did actually play in the Super Bowl in '94.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's true for every single QB until they actually get a ring.  It's no less true for Joe Burrow or Justin Herbert than it is for Allen.  All of these guys have a lot of football in front of them. 

I still remember the Music City Miracle vividly.  That team had legit super bowl aspirations, and of course Tennessee did actually go on to the super bowl where they came up just one yard short, so it's not like those expectations were crazy or anything.  After that game ended, we entered the off-season knowing that that game had been last realistic chance for that particular roster.  Flutie was shot, Johnson was at best an unknown and didn't look particularly impressive at the time (we know how it turned out), and our salary cap situation was very poor.  There was no reason to expect that that would be the beginning of a 17 year playoff drought, but there was no promise of better days ahead.

By way of contrast, we have one of the top QBs in the league.  He is 25 and under contract for the foreseeable future.  We have no serious salary cap problems.  Our coaching staff and FO are stable except for the inevitable poaching that follows from success.  It sucks that we lost, but Kansas City is a superlatively good team that will probably win the super bowl this year.  We can't rend our clothes every time we lose a close game to another elite team, especially when our future is so bright.

The Athletic has a nice story today about the various gut-punch playoff losses the Bills have suffered over the years, and the author (Tim Graham) raises a great point about the Music City Miracle that I had forgotten or blocked out.  That was the last game that Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed, and Bruce Smith ever played in a Bills uniform.  It's hard to put into words just how much that game felt like an end of an era.  

One of the post mortem thoughts running through my head is all the what if’s that led to the game being in KC, not only the Bills but on the KC side (the GB and Denver game). 

In particular I want to know, why did Bates and Davis not see more time earlier?  The team was SO much better with them in the lineup, just timing or did they make a huge difference?

Did McDermott not play them because he valued them too much as a backup?  It was regularly talked about that Bates knew all line positions and Davis knew all WR positions.  I can’t help but wonder, one play could have changed all their losses but Indy.

We are all naturally blind to data that contradicts our opinion but I wonder if McDermott suffers from this more than others because he “trusts the process”.  Don’t forget he twice thought Peterman was the best option at QB.

The Athletic has a nice story today about the various gut-punch playoff losses the Bills have suffered over the years, and the author (Tim Graham) raises a great point about the Music City Miracle that I had forgotten or blocked out.  That was the last game that Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed, and Bruce Smith ever played in a Bills uniform.  It's hard to put into words just how much that game felt like an end of an era.  
Wow. For some reason in remembering that game/era, I had it in my head that all those guys were already gone. Crazy to lose 3 HOFers in the same offseason.

every week is so dang important especially now with only one team getting a bye....and sometimes you don't think much about bad losses in the beginning of the year....until the end of the year....... and you are on the road instead of at home...the opening loss to PIT....tough losses to NE and TEN.....and then the inexcusable one to the Jags....HFA is pretty huge sometimes...check that.... a lot of times....I think we can all agree things may have ended differently if this game was in BUF....

The Duff Man said:
One of the post mortem thoughts running through my head is all the what if’s that led to the game being in KC, not only the Bills but on the KC side (the GB and Denver game). 

In particular I want to know, why did Bates and Davis not see more time earlier?  The team was SO much better with them in the lineup, just timing or did they make a huge difference?

Did McDermott not play them because he valued them too much as a backup?  It was regularly talked about that Bates knew all line positions and Davis knew all WR positions.  I can’t help but wonder, one play could have changed all their losses but Indy.

We are all naturally blind to data that contradicts our opinion but I wonder if McDermott suffers from this more than others because he “trusts the process”.  Don’t forget he twice thought Peterman was the best option at QB.
The Bills had coveted Sanders for a couple of years and kept missing out on signing him, so they obviously thought very highly of him before he arrived.  And he was excellent to start the season.  Plus McDermott being a conservative guy by nature is going to value a veteran over a young guy almost every time.  But at some point Sanders started to fade, and then got hurt, which kind of forced the Bills to give Davis a chance.

The Bates situation is far more mysterious.  The Bills had serious O-line problems and tried all kinds of combinations, but Bates was never part of that.  Maybe  he's a guy that isn't great in practice and needs the adrenaline rush of playing in a game, I don't know.  But during the season, Bills fans were spending a lot of time scanning other teams practice squads looking for O-linemen, so why Bates wasn't at least given a shot, I have no idea.

But the Sanders over Davis stuff early in the year made a lot of sense at the time.  Making Bates the last chance desperation option that they only played because they had no other choice - doesn't make any sense.

Steve Tasker said:
Honestly, I didn't think the DL as a whole played that badly.  They didn't rack up the sacks, but they were consistently beating their assignments and flushing Mahomes out of the pocket.  DBs and LBs did absolutely nothing all day though.
Agreed about the D-line.  Against almost any other QB there would have been 3 or 4 more sacks - there were a few plays where I was wondering how did we not sack him?

I feel weirdly unemotional about this. It was a complete coaching meltdown that was avoidable and I should be heading to Buffalo for the AFC championship game with the Bills heavily favored.  I should be pissed. 

But the Bills are clearly at the Chiefs level and near the top dog in the AFC. They are clearly better than the Pats. And Allen is clearly one of the top QBs in the game.  Still a lot of fun times ahead for Bills fans.
I was very disappointed by the loss of course, but I was actually pretty serene after it.

For one thing, it was entirely possible that last year, Josh was just a one-year wonder and would come back to Earth this year.  That did not happen - there is every reason to think that Josh will be remembered as one of the truly great ones once he retires.

I think back to his first couple of years here, and some of his plays where you're like "oh my god?  what are you doing?  nobody can be that stupid!"  Some QBs have plays like that every year of their careers.  (I won't mention names to avoid rubbing salt in the wounds for the fans of those franchises).  I can't think of a single play like that from Josh this year.

Greg Rousseau is only 21 years old, didn't play football last year, and has a great future ahead of him.  Yes, we drafted him to help beat Mahomes this year, but Mahomes will be around for a while too, and Rousseau will get more opportunities to avenge this loss.

McDermott is a guy that does learn from his mistakes.  I have to believe that after reviewing the tape, he's going to think "yeah, we didn't call the right defense at the end there."  Some coaches would say "oh yeah?  I was right and I'd do the exact same thing again.  Stupid players!"  McD will look at that and say I've got to do better myself.

I know there are plenty of obstacles in our path to a decade of domination.  But it's not out of the question we could have a long, Patriots-like run with this team.  And I've never felt that way since the 90s.

I think back to his first couple of years here, and some of his plays where you're like "oh my god?  what are you doing?  nobody can be that stupid!"  Some QBs have plays like that every year of their careers.  (I won't mention names to avoid rubbing salt in the wounds for the fans of those franchises).  I can't think of a single play like that from Josh this year.
I've been meaning to say something about this too, because I noticed the same thing.  I've always been in the camp that compared Allen to Brett Favre and argued that we just need to be willing to accept the bad with the good, but Allen had hardly any Favre-like bad plays this year.  I mean, everybody throws the occasional ugly pick or takes a big sack at a bad time -- that happens to every QB in the league, and it happened to everyone who currently has a yellow jacket in their closet.  But most of the "hero ball" stuff was nonexistent this year.  

For that matter, remember how amped-up Allen used to get during big games?  That look on his face during the Houston game?  That guy was nowhere to be seen in 2021.  He just put up back-to-back playoff games where he calmly incinerated both opposing defenses from the opening whistle to the end.

The Chiefs have a good fan base, and their team is easy to root for (IMO).  

To be honest, I would rather have a rivalry with New England or Miami.  I'm already wired to loathe those teams, and mutual hatred is the glue that holds a good rivalry together.  Heck, it was even fun to hate Dallas back in the 1990s.  It's kind of hard to hate Mahomes.  

The Chiefs have a good fan base, and their team is easy to root for (IMO).  

To be honest, I would rather have a rivalry with New England or Miami.  I'm already wired to loathe those teams, and mutual hatred is the glue that holds a good rivalry together.  Heck, it was even fun to hate Dallas back in the 1990s.  It's kind of hard to hate Mahomes.  
His fiancé and brother on the other hand…

No thanks. He recently signed a big contract, no? I'd rather roll with Motor at a much lower cap hit.
I don't want Kamara at his contract and trade cost either, but I think they absolutely have to upgrade the running game. When the weather turns and/or they play high powered offenses like KC, they need to be able to control the clock more. Part of the reason the D was so gassed was because KC dominated time of possession.

Gordon, Fournette, and Michel would be at the top of my list and none of them should require a huge commitment.

I was very disappointed by the loss of course, but I was actually pretty serene after it.

For one thing, it was entirely possible that last year, Josh was just a one-year wonder and would come back to Earth this year.  That did not happen - there is every reason to think that Josh will be remembered as one of the truly great ones once he retires.

Greg Rousseau is only 21 years old, didn't play football last year, and has a great future ahead of him.  Yes, we drafted him to help beat Mahomes this year, but Mahomes will be around for a while too, and Rousseau will get more opportunities to avenge this loss.

McDermott is a guy that does learn from his mistakes.  I have to believe that after reviewing the tape, he's going to think "yeah, we didn't call the right defense at the end there."  Some coaches would say "oh yeah?  I was right and I'd do the exact same thing again.  Stupid players!"  McD will look at that and say I've got to do better myself.

I know there are plenty of obstacles in our path to a decade of domination.  But it's not out of the question we could have a long, Patriots-like run with this team.  And I've never felt that way since the 90s.
Just hold Kelce upright for three more seconds!

I felt horrible for Bills fans as well.  So close, and then to have it ripped away by bad coaching in the 13 seconds and then the coin flip. 

I honestly think the defensive calls in the last 13 second reflected Fraiser being terrified of Tyreek Hill beating them over the top for a TD, and he would have been the court jester of the century if they had allowed a bomb to Hill for a TD to lose the game at the end of regulation.  I will just never understand why they booted the kickoff into the end zone instead of kicking it inside the 20 and making the Chiefs either a) down it immediately and losing a bit of field position, or b) burn some of those remaining seconds on the run back.  It just defies logic. 

I felt horrible for Bills fans as well.  So close, and then to have it ripped away by bad coaching in the 13 seconds and then the coin flip. 

I honestly think the defensive calls in the last 13 second reflected Fraiser being terrified of Tyreek Hill beating them over the top for a TD, and he would have been the court jester of the century if they had allowed a bomb to Hill for a TD to lose the game at the end of regulation.  I will just never understand why they booted the kickoff into the end zone instead of kicking it inside the 20 and making the Chiefs either a) down it immediately and losing a bit of field position, or b) burn some of those remaining seconds on the run back.  It just defies logic. 
There's some highly speculative reporting out there that that's exactly what the call was supposed to be, but that call either never made it to the kicker or the kicker just put too much on the ball.  I can't vouch for any of that because I'm not in the right mental place to go back and rewatch any of this.  Just saying that storyline seems to have some traction among a portion of the fanbase that is relatively sane and rational.

(One reason what that story is credible is because the Bills' ST did actually do a lot of intentional short kickoffs this season -- it's definitely something that they have ready to go for situations like this).

Yeah, pretty clear from that article and the All 22 that it was supposed to be short left and the cover team got that message but the kicker did not/miss hit it. The players looking toward the sidelines with their hands in the air is pretty telling. 

Curious why the defense didn’t just hold every WR off of the line. 10yd penalty and at least 6 seconds burned. Do that twice and worst case you’re defending a Hail Mary or a 72 yd FG attempt. 

Was driving to go ice fishing with son today, noticed it was 3pm & had quick outburst saying 'what a beautiful day & I shoulda/woulda been at Bills championship game right now.' That was it - had no interest in watching game today. Great day on ice & then dinner. Then I see update that Bengals won & immediately mood changes. I CANNOT believe the Bengals are going to SB after we choked it away. Credit to them for being able to win 1 score games unlike us, but my God what an opportunity we pissed away.

Was driving to go ice fishing with son today, noticed it was 3pm & had quick outburst saying 'what a beautiful day & I shoulda/woulda been at Bills championship game right now.' That was it - had no interest in watching game today. Great day on ice & then dinner. Then I see update that Bengals won & immediately mood changes. I CANNOT believe the Bengals are going to SB after we choked it away. Credit to them for being able to win 1 score games unlike us, but my God what an opportunity we pissed away.
Paradoxically, I actually felt quite a bit better after this outcome.  I'm not honestly sure why.  Maybe it's just a psychological reminder that this game was never a sure thing even if we had secured the win last week or something.  I dunno.

My son had the same reaction you did though.

Anyway, Ken Dorsey was named OC.  Not at all surprising of course, and I'm very pleased that we kept him.  

Kinda surprised we lost Bobby Jones to the Giants seeing as how I was in favor of not retaining him anyway.  That seems like a win for both sides.
All the talk about how Dorsey was going to NYG never made sense to me unless he was really really right with Dabol. I mean, would you rather keep working with Allen, Diggs, Davis and a team that is a legit contender, or go work with Daniel Jones, Barkley’s husk, and whatever else they managed to put together? (No offense to Giants fans)

The only way Bobby Jones could go to the Giants and keep the same level position was either his contract was up and he could choose where to go, or the Bills gave him permission. My guess is that it was a mutual parting either way.

All the talk about how Dorsey was going to NYG never made sense to me unless he was really really right with Dabol. I mean, would you rather keep working with Allen, Diggs, Davis and a team that is a legit contender, or go work with Daniel Jones, Barkley’s husk, and whatever else they managed to put together? (No offense to Giants fans)

The only way Bobby Jones could go to the Giants and keep the same level position was either his contract was up and he could choose where to go, or the Bills gave him permission. My guess is that it was a mutual parting either way.
Yeah, I imagine this basically came down to "Do you want to come to work and drive a Ferrari around the test track all day, or would you rather rebuild the engine on this 2003 Camry?"

Question for the homers: is Dorsey taking over as OC neutral for us Allen owners? Seems like Dorsey had as much to do with Allen’s ascension as Daboll did, but just wondering if Dorsey will be as pass heavy as Daboll was. TIA

Question for the homers: is Dorsey taking over as OC neutral for us Allen owners? Seems like Dorsey had as much to do with Allen’s ascension as Daboll did, but just wondering if Dorsey will be as pass heavy as Daboll was. TIA
I'm not too concerned.  Obviously I would rather have kept Daboll (not broke, do not fix) but this is the next best thing.  Allen loves him, and you figure it's going to be a similar offensive system.  I do expect more running next year, but that was probably going to be the case anyway.  The Bills are never going to be a team that feeds their RB 20+ carries a game -- a more credible running game is good for the offense and probably not bad for Allen's production all things considered.  

Do be advised though that Bills fans will be calling for Dorsey's firing by week 3 at the latest.  That's just how we roll.

I think this will be Dorsey's first time to be calling plays, so that might be bumpy at times.  I do think Dorsey was very instrumental in developing Josh so that should be a plus for him.  I do think the Bills would like to be better at running the ball with somebody other than Josh doing it, although I'd be shocked if they ever became a run-first team.  Dorsey is not likely to tinker with the play book too much - Bills will stick with E-P based offense rather than moving to West Coast or some other drastic change, so I think that is also a plus for the offense.

Ivan is right that if the Bills are not 3-0 to start the season, then Dorsey will get the blame for it among the locals.  And McDermott and Beane and Frazier and the Pegulas and Tre Edmunds.

I think this will be Dorsey's first time to be calling plays, so that might be bumpy at times.  I do think Dorsey was very instrumental in developing Josh so that should be a plus for him.  I do think the Bills would like to be better at running the ball with somebody other than Josh doing it, although I'd be shocked if they ever became a run-first team.  Dorsey is not likely to tinker with the play book too much - Bills will stick with E-P based offense rather than moving to West Coast or some other drastic change, so I think that is also a plus for the offense.

Ivan is right that if the Bills are not 3-0 to start the season, then Dorsey will get the blame for it among the locals.  And McDermott and Beane and Frazier and the Pegulas and Tre Edmunds.
[Bills lose the coin toss to open week 1]

"Edmunds is a bust."

Users who are viewing this thread