What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (1 Viewer)

Can’t wait to see what Allen can do when it’s not cold. Because of Allen sucks when it’s cold and it was 5 degrees last night, all sorts of records are about to fall next week.

Last night definitely felt like 20 years of demons exercised. And frankly, I’m glad Buffalo ran it up on New England and humiliated them for all the times BB did it to the Bills and so many other teams. The fake HB dive on 3rd and short where he hit Knox deep and Knox went down at the 1 was just the petty rubbing salt in the wound stuff I wanted to see last night.

Dane Jackson still worries me a lot and he definitely struggled last night giving up several of the big plays given up, but overall this team is really clicking right now. The run game is a legitimate threat with Motor running like a freight train and the passing game is on point with an O-line that has been pretty much dominant since Bates got slotted in at LG. Next week should be fun.

ETA: Oh, and finding out that Allen was legitimately trying to throw that first TD to Knox away and had no idea that Knox caught it at first is hilarious. Guess that’s when you know it’s going to be your night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was watching the 5 TDs Allen threw last night and the one he threw to Sanders was on 1st and 20. It’s crazy but I honestly wasn’t even concerned that it was 1st and 20. The way the Bills have played over the last month, 1st and 20 still isn’t ideal, but it doesn’t feel like a drive death sentence like it once did. Pretty awesome to have a QB and offense that can do that.

Obviously lots of historic stats to chew on from last night.  I think my favorite is that up until this year, no offense facing Bill Belichick had ever gone punt-less for an entire game.  It happened twice this season.  Buffalo both times.

Last night definitely felt like 20 years of demons exercised.
I was telling my family last night that this was the NFL equivalent of Coward of the County, where the nerd finally beats the absolute bejesus out of his tormenters.  And it was made even sweeter by the fact that the entire North American viewing audience was living vicariously though us.

I feel bad for them
I don’t even a little. For years and years they benefited from Brady taking a below market deal and other vets taking less money to come play with Brady. Now they have to play the cap game on an even playing field. Let’s see just how genius they really are in talent evaluation and cap management now without that benefit.

Fitzpatrick is so awesome. What’s hilarious is that, technically, he’s lined up to be the starting QB for Washington still next year and he’s in the stands shirtless cheering on the Bills in the playoffs.  :lol:
I had the pleasure of experiencing him for two years with the dolphins.   Hard not to love that guy.   

Am I crazy for considering going to KC for the game next week?  Can’t get enough of this team. 
Come on in. Ticket prices actually look pretty reasonable right now. Weather as of right now looks to be about 35 degrees and dry for Sunday.

Should be a great game and KC fans are usually pretty respectful to opposing fans.  

I've been to Arrowhead before -- nice fans, and game day logistics are easy since the stadium is right off the interstate.  I might have made the drive if the game was on Saturday, but Sunday night just isn't really do-able for me this time.

Come on in. Ticket prices actually look pretty reasonable right now. Weather as of right now looks to be about 35 degrees and dry for Sunday.

Should be a great game and KC fans are usually pretty respectful to opposing fans.  
I'm hoping that KC rolls out their first quarter offense next week instead of their second quarter offense.

I'm hoping that KC rolls out their first quarter offense next week instead of their second quarter offense.
:lol:

The Chiefs are maddening. You should have heard the cuss words in my house watching that debacle. But as I posted in the game thread, you can pretty much tell when Reid took the play calling back from Bieniemy - right after that stupid Hardman as wildcat call. Night and Day after that.

This Bills/Chiefs is going to go two ways:

1. The Bills totally truck them. The way the Bills have been rolling the last month this seems really, really possible. Chiefs are still a bit of a mess. 

2. Tight game until the end and it comes down to the last possession.  That's if Good Chiefs show up.

I see no scenario where the Chiefs blow out Buffalo. We have just been too inconsistent this year and the Bills just have that "look" right now.

Should be a fun one at any rate.

On a side note: I really like the Bills. That is a solid team from top to bottom and the fans certainly have waited long enough to go win a Super Bowl. Would be huge for that fanbase and ease decades of suffering. Obviously.

:lol:

The Chiefs are maddening. You should have heard the cuss words in my house watching that debacle. But as I posted in the game thread, you can pretty much tell when Reid took the play calling back from Bieniemy - right after that stupid Hardman as wildcat call. Night and Day after that.

This Bills/Chiefs is going to go two ways:

1. The Bills totally truck them. The way the Bills have been rolling the last month this seems really, really possible. Chiefs are still a bit of a mess. 

2. Tight game until the end and it comes down to the last possession.  That's if Good Chiefs show up.

I see no scenario where the Chiefs blow out Buffalo. We have just been too inconsistent this year and the Bills just have that "look" right now.

Should be a fun one at any rate.

On a side note: I really like the Bills. That is a solid team from top to bottom and the fans certainly have waited long enough to go win a Super Bowl. Would be huge for that fanbase and ease decades of suffering. Obviously.
Definitely respect around here for the Chiefs too.  Was rooting for them when Len Dawson faced the Vikings.  But you did screw us out of Super Bowl I.

Saw these stats that show what has turned around for the Bills the last four games. The Oline was a mess in several of the losses and Allen was running for his life all the time. They had no running game to keep opponents honest. Since the Bills put Bates in at G:

421 ypg, 172 rushing ypg, 5.2 ypc, 8 rushing TDs, 0 sacks, 4-0

Not sure if casual fans across the league would pick up a change like this but it is night/day for the Oline with Bates in there. 

Saw these stats that show what has turned around for the Bills the last four games. The Oline was a mess in several of the losses and Allen was running for his life all the time. They had no running game to keep opponents honest. Since the Bills put Bates in at G:

421 ypg, 172 rushing ypg, 5.2 ypc, 8 rushing TDs, 0 sacks, 4-0

Not sure if casual fans across the league would pick up a change like this but it is night/day for the Oline with Bates in there. 
Yes, and it's been pretty obvious that the line has been much better the past few games with Bates in there.  Obviously it isn't just Bates but also getting Williams and Brown in their correct positions, along with Dawkins getting back to 100%, but Bates also seems like an upgrade over Feliciano.  

Allen is good at extending plays and papering over issues with pass protection, but they've been better on that front the last few games.  See the play on Saturday night when Allen had nearly 10 seconds to look for somebody open before throwing "to" Knox.  

The running game looks pretty solid now too.  It doesn't need to be great -- just enough to get teams out of light boxes.  That box seems to be checked.  

Of course, KC is the best team in the league.  We need everyone to be playing their A-game right now, and that might not be enough.  This is one of the very few teams that can keep up even if we're firing on all cylinders.

I don't begrudge Arizona for Hail Murray in the slightest.  It was a great play that they were rightly excited about.  

And yet my heart is still aglow every time I watch replays of that pick six.

IvanKaramazov said:
Of course, KC is the best team in the league.  We need everyone to be playing their A-game right now, and that might not be enough.  This is one of the very few teams that can keep up even if we're firing on all cylinders.
You could substitute Buffalo above and the rest would accurate as well from the perspective as Chiefs fans.

That's when you know you have a great matchup.  These two teams are so close. 

I was telling my family last night that this was the NFL equivalent of Coward of the County, where the nerd finally beats the absolute bejesus out of his tormenters.  And it was made even sweeter by the fact that the entire North American viewing audience was living vicariously though us.
Same wavelength!  Had the exact same thought about Bills vs Pats.

“you coulda heard a pin drop, when Josh stopped and locked the door…”

😂

Out of the remaining officiating crews, the one for the Buffalo/KC game calls the fewest penalties and called the fewest PI penalties all year.

The Chiefs were extremely physical with Buffalo’s receivers in last year’s AFCCG and it had a significant impact on Buffalo. Buffalo turned the tables and did the same thing to KC this year with similar good results. So I fully expect to see each team’s receivers getting mugged all game. The team that can beat physical press coverage and hand grabbing is going to be the team that sees more success IMO.

For Buffalo, I think that means that McKenzie would see more success than Beasley because McKenzie has more burst and can more easily beat press man coverage.

Picked up McKenzie for free in multiple dynasty leagues at season’s end and am actually quite excited about his potential, especially if Beasley doesn’t return.  Seems legit.

Out of the remaining officiating crews, the one for the Buffalo/KC game calls the fewest penalties and called the fewest PI penalties all year.

The Chiefs were extremely physical with Buffalo’s receivers in last year’s AFCCG and it had a significant impact on Buffalo. Buffalo turned the tables and did the same thing to KC this year with similar good results. So I fully expect to see each team’s receivers getting mugged all game. The team that can beat physical press coverage and hand grabbing is going to be the team that sees more success IMO.

For Buffalo, I think that means that McKenzie would see more success than Beasley because McKenzie has more burst and can more easily beat press man coverage.
But in the playoffs, is it really "a crew" - don't they pull guys from multiple crews because they are (supposedly) selecting the highest rated guys at each position?

I had the same thought. Could also add in dline play, both QBs are amazing avoiding pressure and still making plays, but if they have time this could be a real slugfest 

I am feeling uncomfortably optimistic that the Chiefs are not the Chiefs we remember and the Bills are being underestimated.  By this I mean maybe the Bills should be favored by a couple instead of KC, but still nearly a coin flip. 

KC beat up the NFC East and GB without Rodgers to go 5-0 out of conference. 

Outside their division in the AFC they were 2-4, they didn’t look great against Cincy scoring 3 in the second half.

The Bills had a bunch of bad games. But they were when their line was messed up (Cody Ford anyone) or in horrible wind or rain. 

They have not played badly since the first half against TB, even with two tipped INTs against Atl they still won handily. 

I am feeling uncomfortably optimistic that the Chiefs are not the Chiefs we remember and the Bills are being underestimated.  By this I mean maybe the Bills should be favored by a couple instead of KC, but still nearly a coin flip. 

KC beat up the NFC East and GB without Rodgers to go 5-0 out of conference. 

Outside their division in the AFC they were 2-4, they didn’t look great against Cincy scoring 3 in the second half.

The Bills had a bunch of bad games. But they were when their line was messed up (Cody Ford anyone) or in horrible wind or rain. 

They have not played badly since the first half against TB, even with two tipped INTs against Atl they still won handily. 
If Buffalo’s O-line can hold up, it does kind of feel like Buffalo’s defense has a better chance at slowing down KC’s offense than KC’s defense has of slowing down Buffalo’s offense.

The Bills have been dominant down the stretch, but in their last five games, they have beaten:

• The Patriots twice and they lost 4 of their final five games
  • The Jets who lost five of their last six
  • The Falcons who lost 6 of their last nine, and 
  • The Panthers who lost their last seven games
It seems a pick-em contest and they will definitely have their chances to win at Kansas City

I feel pretty good about this game, but I think part of that is just knowing that KC is one of the best two or three teams in the league, there's no shame in losing to them, and I can chew on that win over New England for the entire offseason at least.  By any objective measure, losing in the divisional round should be seen as a mild failure for this squad, but this feels more like a championship game than just a second-round game.

The Bills have been dominant down the stretch, but in their last five games, they have beaten:

It seems a pick-em contest and they will definitely have their chances to win at Kansas City
Good point. Feels like I might be grasping at reasons to file this coin so it lands on the right side of the flip 😁

Ivan’s point is a good one. We will always have the perfect game over NE 👍🏻 no matter the outcome of the rest of the season. 

Certainly the level of the opposition is a factor but I think (Patriots fan here so an interested observer) the biggest change is the inclusion of the RB in the game plan. They're nearly impossible to stop now.

Rooting for the Bill's but think Chiefs take it in a squeaker. 

FWIW, KC lost to all 3 remaining teams in the AFC. So they certainly come in with some warts.

A stat favorable for Buffalo: they played 7 games this year against AFC playoff teams. In those games, Allen averaged 345 total yards and 3 TDs. The Bills averaged 28 points in those games. That includes that horrific weather game against NE.

If Buffalo’s O-line can hold up, it does kind of feel like Buffalo’s defense has a better chance at slowing down KC’s offense than KC’s defense has of slowing down Buffalo’s offense.

My only worry are the corners. Wallace and Jackson are "average" to put a positive spin on it. Help from Hyde and Poyer and the nickel corner will play a big role on Sunday. 

I feel pretty good about this game, but I think part of that is just knowing that KC is one of the best two or three teams in the league, there's no shame in losing to them, and I can chew on that win over New England for the entire offseason at least.  By any objective measure, losing in the divisional round should be seen as a mild failure for this squad, but this feels more like a championship game than just a second-round game.

This is my feeling, as well. I think KC is easily the best team left in the AFC and the winner of this game is very likely to go to the SB, so this week kind of feels like a Conf championship game.

I'll say that I'm more optimistic about this meeting than last year's conference title game or the earlier game this year, but I'm still going into it with the mindset that the Bills will lose.  The Chiefs are still the AFC standard-bearer until proven otherwise, the 2-time reigning conference champs, with a top-2-uber-superstar-mega-quarterback, and they're at home.  The Bills beat them resoundingly in KC earlier in the season, but KC was slumping a bit at the time.  Both have had their ups-and-downs, but they're both playing top of the line football right now.  I wouldn't be miraculously stunned if the Bills pulled it off on Sunday, but I'm not picking against Mahomes in the playoffs until I see it.

They were talking on WGR the other day, about how Brady won his first 6 matchups with Peyton Manning, something like that.  In the long run, Brady was ultimately more successful than Manning, but Manning got his fair share of multiple Super Bowls, accolades, etc.  Maybe Mahomes always has the upper hand, but I'm certainly not complaining if Allen becomes the Manning to Mahomes' Brady and brings the Bills a Super Bowl or two in the next decade+.

I'll say that I'm more optimistic about this meeting than last year's conference title game or the earlier game this year,
One additional point of comparison here is that I don't think "sugar-rush Josh" has made an appearance at all this year, which is a big change from 2018-2020.  This team sometimes gets off to slow starts, but I don't get the sense that it has anything to do with Allen needing to settle down or anything like that.  KC obviously has a prolific offense and Allen is going to be under a lot of pressure to put up points this weekend, but I feel more confident in his ability to be dialed in from the opening whistle than I did at times in previous seasons.  

But I agree with everybody else that this is coin-flip game.  I just hope it doesn't come down to who has the better punter.  I don't know who punts for KC but I'm positive that guy is better than our guy.

I rewatched the game from earlier in the year. It was way closer than I thought. A couple plays in the first half could have gone either way and the pick 6 was right through Hills hands. 

A big thing I noticed is Allen struggled in the second half when the Chiefs brought pressure, which they did a lot once they realized playing back was getting them burned with bombs. I would expect them to use a lot of pressure in this game.

The first domino to fall.  I've seen reports (unconfirmed of course) that Shoen would like to take Daboll with him as HC.  

I would love to retain Frazier, but I feel like there are great candidates out there that we could plug in at DC and not miss a beat.  Losing Daboll is a lot more worrisome just from the standpoint of potentially messing up something that is working extremely well, but it's not like Allen is a rookie or that the offense doesn't already have a well-established identity.  Presumably whoever we bring in as OC will do something intelligent with all the talent on that side of the ball.

The first domino to fall.  I've seen reports (unconfirmed of course) that Shoen would like to take Daboll with him as HC.  

I would love to retain Frazier, but I feel like there are great candidates out there that we could plug in at DC and not miss a beat.  Losing Daboll is a lot more worrisome just from the standpoint of potentially messing up something that is working extremely well, but it's not like Allen is a rookie or that the offense doesn't already have a well-established identity.  Presumably whoever we bring in as OC will do something intelligent with all the talent on that side of the ball.
ken dorsey

Makes me itchy that so many folks are picking Buffalo. Love that that is where they are as a team, but just always makes me uneasy.

Users who are viewing this thread