What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Oakland Raiders thread (1 Viewer)

I'm all set with Road Warrior Animal.  There was talk last year that his game was slipping, and his PFF grades are brutal.

Chris Long?  All day long, baby.  His brother is a scout for us, I would love it.  I wonder what he's worth.  2 years, 10 mill maybe?
With Laurinaitis- I will freely admit that I did not watch any Rams games last year but even his slipping is an upgrade for us at MLB. Now, there are more than a couple of potentials for MLB in free agency. Again, I am loving the fact that other than perhaps LT all of our needs are exactly what there seems to be what FA is heavy in this year but he is still young too still.

Here's a lesser known name at MLB: Tahir Whitehead.  Graded better than Tulloch, played outside, but prefers inside. 25 years old.

Raging Buckeye fan and Laurinaitis is one of my favorites of all time.  He's no Pro-Bowler but he's a great locker room guy and would be an upgrade over what we have.  Draft a mid-round LB and let JL show him how a pro handles his business.

Long would be a solid emergency replacement should Edwards not be good to go.  He also absolutely needs to wear Silver and Black, never looked good in the horns.

On Sirius NFL last night a caller asked about Chris Long joining his brother in Chicago,  the hosts felt that Chris Long may be retiring as he has already made comments about not being ready to commit to the process.  

Peter King:

2. I think it should be fairly obvious why the Rams whacked three respected veterans—Chris Long, James Laurinaitis and Jared Cook—on Friday. It created $23 million in cap space for the team, and though all three at their best are valuable players, Cook hadn’t produced the way the Rams thought a top-tier tight end should; Long has been hurt for most of the past two years; and there was a slightly more complicated issue with Laurinaitis. The Rams intend to move Alec Ogletree, the first-round pick from 2013, into the nerve center of their defense—the spot Laurinaitis occupied—because they think Ogletree can be more of a playmaker there than Laurinaitis. Now, the one regret the Rams may have is in the next year or two is Long. Though he turns 31 next month, Long will be pursued aggressively by contenders (it’s already happening), because he can be signed before the start of free agency. Not sure he will sign quickly, though. He and his wife are expecting their first child in the coming weeks.
So Long is being pursued by multiple contenders, and has free agency all to himself.  But may not sign anytime soon because his wife is expecting--in a few weeks??

Yeah, OK.  Call me cynical, but this sounds like a writer trying to pump up a player's profile.  I dunno of it's a favor to Howie or to Chris, but if he was being aggressively pursued, there would already be visits.  

Peter King:

So Long is being pursued by multiple contenders, and has free agency all to himself.  But may not sign anytime soon because his wife is expecting--in a few weeks??

Yeah, OK.  Call me cynical, but this sounds like a writer trying to pump up a player's profile.  I dunno of it's a favor to Howie or to Chris, but if he was being aggressively pursued, there would already be visits.  
I think not having visits is pretty easily explained by the expecting child. I also think King hit on the issue with Long's lack of production the last couple of years- injuries. Now, if multiple teams are pursuing him- maybe he won't be at a discount but I think there is a good chance he will outplay his contract for whichever team nabs him (assuming he is healthy again).

CbdIe6AUsAEwDt4.jpg

Have to be pretty happy that the free agent market and the draft are both defense-heavy, as that is without question our priority.  

Have to be pretty happy that the free agent market and the draft are both defense-heavy, as that is without question our priority.  
Other than LT which we apparently have decided to part ways with Penn.... all our needs are exactly what FA is top heavy and deep in. I have a feeling we will be very active in FA. I think players will be less resisting signing with us than in recent past history because we are clearly a team on the rise. Fill the holes and go into the draft for BPA.

Other than LT which we apparently have decided to part ways with Penn.... all our needs are exactly what FA is top heavy and deep in. I have a feeling we will be very active in FA. I think players will be less resisting signing with us than in recent past history because we are clearly a team on the rise. Fill the holes and go into the draft for BPA.
I wonder how much the stadium situation will hurt us during free agency.

I wonder how much the stadium situation will hurt us during free agency.
It doesn't hurt in FA per se, the players don't care much.  It's the fact the owner makes no revenue, and has no outside revenue, and therefore is cash poor and has trouble offering competitive contracts as a result.  Even when we do get a stadium, it's going to be a couple/three years before that war chest really builds up.

We shall see on Penn.

The season has started where teams and agents talk.  Today, actually.  I'm guessing that McKenzie will have a real good idea if a Beachum/Osemele/Glenn is going to be available, and interested.

I think it's a coin flip.  If Glenn gets franchised, Osemele re-signs, etc. we may see Penn back in Oakland.  I think he's a fallback plan, which is fine with me.  

We shall see on Penn.

The season has started where teams and agents talk.  Today, actually.  I'm guessing that McKenzie will have a real good idea if a Beachum/Osemele/Glenn is going to be available, and interested.

I think it's a coin flip.  If Glenn gets franchised, Osemele re-signs, etc. we may see Penn back in Oakland.  I think he's a fallback plan, which is fine with me.  
Osemele is a guard, isn't he?

Okung will be out there too.  His injury history, and questionable toughness, are serious concerns but he will only be 28 in October and remember that many people thought Penn was done before signing in Oakland.

Probably shouldn't forget Mitchell Schwartz either, unless we think Howard is really the long term solution at RT.

Is the Menelik Watson experiment over?  I think probably it is but...

Last edited by a moderator:

Okung will be out there too.  His injury history, and questionable toughness, are serious concerns but he will only be 28 in October and remember that many people thought Penn was done before signing in Oakland.

Probably shouldn't forget Mitchell Schwartz either, unless we think Howard is really the long term solution at RT.

I have been asking that about Khalif Barnes for like 5 year so...

Osemele is a guard, and played 4 games at LT last season, and did well.  

Word  is he wants OT money, which is to be expected.  I think he came up as a right tackle, then played LG.  I think his plan is to sell himself as a left tackle, and go after 12 mill a year, rather than 8 mill a year.  He's one of those guys that every teams' fan base is planning on signing in free agency.  The Raider board I frequent, is all about him.  Thinking is, if he can't play LT, we can move him to RG.  I think there's all kinds of things wrong with that thinking, personally.  

I doubt the team feels nearly as badly about Watson and Howard as the fans.  Watson looked very good by all accounts before the injury, he just got hurt again. :shrug:

I would not be surprised if we line up with Penn/Gabe/Hudson/Howard/Watson this summer.  

Penn will be interesting. He likely feels (and likely was) underpaid for his performance over the last season or two, he's been an anchor of stability that helped form a fairly decent NFL O-line. No other real FA replacements out there besides Glenn or Okung that I like, and both could be franchised (Glenn more likely than Okung). Not sure we can afford to take a step back by getting a rookie LT this season, or that we have enough solid pieces to shift around (Howard, IMO, needs to stay at RT where he flourished). And Raiders need to spend money to get to the salary floor. Would we franchise Penn?

Would we franchise Penn?
Highly unlikely.  Tag number is going to be around 13 mill I think.  

I've always figured the team views him as a fallback plan.  Between now and free agency we have the combine (first time teams start discussing deals--all the agents are there), the deadline for franchise tags, teams re-signing their own free agents, and the legal tampering window.  Between now and free agency, the team (if not the fans) will have a much clearer picture of what their options are.  If Glenn gets franchised, and Osemele re-signs in BAL, suddenly there are a lot less left tackles out there, and Penn looks a lot better.  If Glenn doesn't get franchised, and his agent tells Oakland they are his first choice, maybe Penn gets left out in the cold.  If Penn gets re-signed before free agency, you can assume the available LTs aren't an option for us.

Penn faded down the stretch, but so did the rest of the offense.  If the worst case is we wind up with him for one more year, I am OK with that.  Gives the team another year to find a replacement.  Asking him to start beyond 2016 seems like a lot.  

use our cap space to sign him to a solid, non-insulting 2 year deal and lock it down so we can move on to other more important areas of need, instead of creating a new hole we need to fill on top of all the needs on D.

maybe I'm gun shy and being too conservative though...

Osemele is a guard, and played 4 games at LT last season, and did well.  

Word  is he wants OT money, which is to be expected.  I think he came up as a right tackle, then played LG.  I think his plan is to sell himself as a left tackle, and go after 12 mill a year, rather than 8 mill a year.  He's one of those guys that every teams' fan base is planning on signing in free agency.  The Raider board I frequent, is all about him.  Thinking is, if he can't play LT, we can move him to RG.  I think there's all kinds of things wrong with that thinking, personally.  

I doubt the team feels nearly as badly about Watson and Howard as the fans.  Watson looked very good by all accounts before the injury, he just got hurt again. :shrug:

I would not be surprised if we line up with Penn/Gabe/Hudson/Howard/Watson this summer.  
Agreed on "all kinds of things wrong with that thinking". You don't pay a guy you hope can play LT LT money and move him to RG as a fall back plan. That is how you burn through you cap money and end up being unable to bring in quality FA's and keep our guys.

It sounds like Jaylon's rehab is going good and it makes a lot of sense for Raider fans to speculate about how, Khalil, and Eldon, and Jaylon together could form the genesis of a 'Bonco-like' defensive core but I think the report of him coming back in September should read that he 'could' come back in September if there are no set backs.

Not sure if the new software allows cut-and-paste so here is a link to the thread on a draft board showing a picture of the injury at the moment it happened.

LINK:  http://www.scout.com/nfl/browns/forums/1767-draft-brew/14430642-jaylon-smith-knee-question

CL Recovery Club ‏@ACLrecoveryCLUB    2h 2 hours ago
1f64f.png
out to Notre Dame LB Jaylon Smith...injury looked similar to Nick Chubb's.

CXp-AIWUMAAzTXr.jpg

CXp-AIpUsAAJSoT.jpg

The Jocs & Docs Show ‏@jocsanddocs    1h 1 hour ago
The Jocs & Docs Show Retweeted ACL Recovery Club

That is rough! Looks like a posterolateral corner injury (PCL/LCL). Some would consider worse than ACL

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout    18m 18 minutes ago
Let's wait and see on Jaylon Smith, folks. Can't talk draft stock until the injury is known.
CbdIe6AUsAEwDt4.jpg

David J. Chao, MD

@ProFootballDoc

Former NFL head team physician 17+years sideline experience. OrthopedicSurgeon-Real time injury info@SiriusXMSports Medical Analyst MondayMorningMD @NFpost

David J. Chao, MD ‎@ProFootballDoc

#JaylonSmith
Good news: no more knee brace & walking.
Bad news: wearing an AFO, indicates nerve issue.
Too bad. https://twitter.com/thejaylonsmith/status/702584594550398976 …

5:15 PM - 25 Feb 2016

I think a guy like Smith is worth a red shirt season.  It's the same philosophy that causes teams to reach for QBs early, sometimes you gotta swing for the fences.  Jaylon looks like one of those game changing players that you build a defense around.  With Mack that would make two such players in the front seven for Oakland.  Aldon looked like one of those players too, but he is going to be pretty far removed from his salad days and may not even resign so it's difficult to speculate on what might be.  But it is fun.

Reggie has already lost one of these gambles when he selected Hayden. I strongly doubt he will use another high draft pick on a player with big injury concerns. 

This sort of gamble is for a team that has deep talent and can afford to sit their first pick for a year if necessary. The Raiders do not have that luxury. 

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Yeah, once the word 'nerve' is used, I'm out.

I would not be surprised if he fell to the 2nd or even 3rd round.  Some teams will take him off their board.

Yeah, once the word 'nerve' is used, I'm out.

I would not be surprised if he fell to the 2nd or even 3rd round.  Some teams will take him off their board.
Yeah, I think the guy is absolutely the real deal but even if it's not true it will very likely hurt his draft stock, possibly in a YUUUUUUGE way.

And if it is true...He'd look great in the 4th round AMIRIGHT!!?!@?!?!@!?#$!?1

Reggie has already lost one of these gambles when he selected Hayden. I strongly doubt he will use another high draft pick on a player with big injury concerns. 

This sort of gamble is for a team that has deep talent and can afford to sit their first pick for a year if necessary. The Raiders do not have that luxury. 

Sorry to burst your bubble.
Couldn't agree more. Draft the Best HEALTHY Player available. 

Ive seen 3 CBs ranked in the top 20 depending on the rankings you look at. That can hopefully be the combo of BPA and Need. 

A boy can dream. :)

I don't see anyone taking a shot at a guy with an injury similar to Marcus Lattimore injury before the 4th round and that gamble didn't pay off for the 49ers so he might fall like CB Efo Ekpre-Olomu did last year when he tumbled all the way to the 7th round.  BTW Ifo is reportedly 'doing well' but the same thing was said about Lattimore every year so, we'll see.

My opinion is that Jaylon is going to drop in the draft and he shouldn't go before the 4th round, where Lattimore went in the 2013 draft.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer  12h12 hours ago
If you want a comp for Notre Dame LB Jaylon Smith's nerve damage -- it's what Marcus Lattimore was up against when he came out.
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer  15h15 hours ago
Albert Breer Retweeted Ian Rapoport

Mentioned that teams were pessimistic the other day about Smith's outlook. Fears realized.
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet  15h15 hours ago
Difficult day for #NotreDame LB Jaylon Smith, who had his medicals. Ankle & knee nerve issues, teams believe he's out for 2016 -- at least

By the way, as a cautionary tale:  

This 'nerve damage' talk is coming from Rapaport.  And from him only.  None of the other news guys are claiming sources on that.  Breer was responding to Ian, not adding his own source.  

Breer then doubles down by bringing up Lattimore.  

I've no reason to doubt Rapaport's sources, but after the surgery we read no nerve damage.  Is Rapaport's sources (who may have a reason to scare people off Jaylon) better than the people involved in the surgery?  Wait and see, that's my attitude.  

13 mill in cap carryover, Raiders have around $74 mill in cap space.  

It's going to be interesting watching Reggie have to go shopping at Barneys, when he clearly prefers free agency Marshalls.  

This 'nerve damage' talk is coming from Rapaport.  And from him only.  None of the other news guys are claiming sources on that.  Breer was responding to Ian, not adding his own source.  

I've no reason to doubt Rapaport's sources, but after the surgery we read no nerve damage.  Is Rapaport's sources (who may have a reason to scare people off Jaylon) better than the people involved in the surgery?  Wait and see, that's my attitude.  
Unfortunately they can only wait and see for so long.  The possibility of nerve damage is deeply concerning and I believe the source was the Chargers team doctor pointing out the type of brace Smith was wearing indicated nerve damage.  Could be a smoke screen trying to get him to drop to the second or third I guess.

I was originally big on them taking the best DB available (as the rosters stands before free agency) and that seems like the safest/smartest choice at this point.

Yeah, I'm scared off enough to be thinking about other players in the first round.  

I think Rap's sources were different than the guy that brought up the brace.  

That guy is an interesting case.  It's David Chao, SD team doctor that was forced to step down after malpractice suits, and just generally being a scumbag.  He saw the video of Jaylon walking, and said 'nerve damage, that's too bad'.  

When someone asked him more about the brace, he said this:  

I asked Dr. Chao what he thought when he first noticed the AFO. “It told me he had a nerve palsy,” he said. “I hope it’s temporary, but it could mean that he needs a ‘redshirt’ year. The early reports of no nerve damage were optimistic, so I hope he ends up okay.”

Just saw this.

Jaylon mentions his 'nerve' has to heal in this article.

If a guy is scheduled for a medical 're-check' after the Combine, it typically is a red flag.  We knew Jaylon Smith would be up for a re-check so this was expected but he confirms his nerve has to heal so it looks like he will miss 2016 and after that who knows?

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sports/saints/15007688-172/nfl-draft-prospect-jaylon-smith-says-he-feels-great-but-ex-notre-dame-linebackers-knee-is-a-concern

NFL draft prospect Jaylon Smith says he feels great, but ex-Notre Dame linebacker’s knee is a concern

...“I feel great. There’s no soreness in the knee; there’s no pain.” Smith said. “I’ve been off pain pills for almost a month. It’s just a matter of the recovery process. I don’t know when the nerve and everything will heal. It’s just me taking it day by day and controlling what I can control.”

The nerve is an issue. Depending on who you ask, it could be a major or minor problem. The multiple reports that emerged after he spoke Friday cited anonymous sources who predicted Smith could potentially miss the entire 2016 season.

...Smith, who started out his Friday news conference by claiming he did not have nerve damage, later stated the nerve needed to heal by saying it wasn’t stretched.

When pressed on the difference between and injured nerve and one that’s been stretched, Smith declined to offer a direct answer.

“It means the team doctors have visited with me,” Smith said. “(The doctor) who did my surgery — there’s a report that all the team doctors have. I don’t want to give the wrong information out.”

Smith will undergo a more thorough evaluation at the medical rechecks. 

Those rechecks are to be expected with an injury like this.  I'm not sure that's a red flag.  It was a bad injury, he was coming back for rechecks anyway.  

I wouldn't be surprised if NFL teams have wildly different opinions on him, when it's all said and done.  It's 32 different team doctors, no way everyone agrees on the same thing.  Raiders have erred on side of caution before (Saffold, it was the right call), but I assume every team will have a spot in the draft they feel he's worth the risk.  I think predicting draft location this early is usually silly, Jaylon even moreso could go anywhere.  He could be a 1st, he could be a 4th. :shrug:  

joey said:
Couldn't agree more. Draft the Best HEALTHY Player available. 

Ive seen 3 CBs ranked in the top 20 depending on the rankings you look at. That can hopefully be the combo of BPA and Need. 

A boy can dream. :)
Screw need. Pure BPA. And remember- we have all of free agency to fill need in a free agency market that is heavy in the areas we have the most need. When you go chasing need in the draft is when you end up being a perpetual cellar dweller.

Another thing to keep in mind- this is draft season which means there is a ton of misinformation/misdirection etc from teams being sent out there. You have to let your doctors get in and do their thing. Take it from there. That being said, yes, nerve damage worries me and that is enough to back off from the 1st round. Sitting a year doesn't bother me if you know he comes back fully healthy and the player he can be in year two but nerve damage means there is a degree of possibility that would mean that that would not be the case.

Screw need. Pure BPA. And remember- we have all of free agency to fill need in a free agency market that is heavy in the areas we have the most need. When you go chasing need in the draft is when you end up being a perpetual cellar dweller.
Yes.  Any position beside QB should be in play.  

Yes.  Any position beside QB should be in play.  
Screw WR as well. 

And TE. 

And punter. And place kicker. 

My post was just being hopeful that BPA at our pick also happened to be a highly rated CB. Our DBs have been a joke for a decade. 

Hey guys.  I had a pretty interesting text conversation with my friend in the organization yesterday.  As usual, it was cryptic and nothing, I repeat nothing he said was definite or should be taken as gospel or anything like that.  He told me something very "big and exciting" is on the immediate horizon for the Raiders.  My first inclination was that it had something to do with the whole stadium situation and my first inquiries were along those lines.  I got the very strong indication it had nothing to do with the stadium or location issue. 

Very little of what I got was definitive, but what I did learn was that certain important people were all together yesterday and there was a high level of excitement when the gathering was concluded.  My spidey sense tells me that the big thing he was referring to may involve the Raiders trading UP at the draft to get a coveted player.  If that is the case, the situation obviously isn't as immediate as he seemed to imply.  If that is the case, I wouldn't be surprised if Oakland goes out and gets a big free agent sooner rather than later.  One name that was conspicuously not specifically mentioned was Demarco Murray.  I just pieced together snippets of what he said and then extrapolated what I recently heard about Oakland looking to have L. Murray have a lighter workload this year to make him more efficient.  Can you imagine the 1-2 Murray punch with a chip on his shoulder Demarco power rushing and Latavius spelling him and catching screen passes? 

Anyway, sorry that I don't have details or anything like that but I thought the gathering of important Raider brass and the reported air of excitement at its conclusion was worth mentioning.   My pal doesn't usually reach out to me with info unless he believes something is going on.  I'll let you know if I hear anything else, but let's see if something big happens this week....

...  He told me something very "big and exciting" is on the immediate horizon for the Raiders...

... there was a high level of excitement when the gathering was concluded.  My spidey sense tells me that the big thing he was referring to may involve the Raiders trading UP at the draft to get a coveted player.  If that is the case, the situation obviously isn't as immediate as he seemed to imply.  If that is the case, I wouldn't be surprised if Oakland goes out and gets a big free agent sooner rather than later.  One name that was conspicuously not specifically mentioned was Demarco Murray.  I just pieced together snippets of what he said and then extrapolated what I recently heard about Oakland looking to have L. Murray have a lighter workload this year to make him more efficient.  Can you imagine the 1-2 Murray punch with a chip on his shoulder Demarco power rushing and Latavius spelling him and catching screen passes? .

Interesting.  

Who do you think they might move-up for?

Also, DeMarco Murray has a lot of tread left on his tires since the Eagles barely used him last year after he lead  the league in rushing the previous year.  I think he is due for a big bounce-back season/

Interesting.  

Who do you think they might move-up for?

Also, DeMarco Murray has a lot of tread left on his tires since the Eagles barely used him last year after he lead  the league in rushing the previous year.  I think he is due for a big bounce-back season/
Screw Murray. He didn't want to be a Raider last season. Now he sees they're a team on the rise and he wants to jump on the bandwagon? Let him languish in Philly.  

Bruno2 said:
Screw Murray. He didn't want to be a Raider last season. Now he sees they're a team on the rise and he wants to jump on the bandwagon? Let him languish in Philly.  
If he can help us win more games I don't care if he spurned us last season. The Raiders have been bad for so long I can't blame players for not wanting to play for the Raiders in the past. Now that they Raiders are on the rise we will start to get better free agents.

If he can help us win more games I don't care if he spurned us last season. The Raiders have been bad for so long I can't blame players for not wanting to play for the Raiders in the past. Now that they Raiders are on the rise we will start to get better free agents.
I get what you're saying. But the team has bigger needs. Latavius isn't the hardest runner, and I worry about his ball security, but he's adequate. I'd rather see them spend that money on the Oline and defense. 

Users who are viewing this thread