What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Green Bay Packers thread (1 Viewer)

"By far the best cover safety in this class". Mike Mayock predraft.

This is a passing league. The Packers now have the potential for two excellent safeties. Part of the knock on HaHa was his speed. That's not a problem with Randall. Fastest safety the Packers have had since Nick Collins.

Sounds like they clearly have a plan for him at CB... updated the last post with a couple other twitter TT quotes. Good stuff IMO

ETA: Trust in Ted.

Last edited by a moderator:
as teams looks for that veritable wr to mix things up, the packers take the most veritable db. it surprised me, but randall might just be that wildcard db that makes some great plays.

Unexpected, by me at least.

If he can shut down that T.E. straight up the field 15 yard play that the Packers have not stopped in three years he will be well worth it. Well worth it. I swear, three times a game the Packers get a team in 3rd and long only to see the other team's T.E. convert on a catch right up the middle for 9 to 18 yards. To me that is their Achilles heal.

If he can shut down that T.E. straight up the field 15 yard play that the Packers have not stopped in three years he will be well worth it. Well worth it. I swear, three times a game the Packers get a team in 3rd and long only to see the other team's T.E. convert on a catch right up the middle for 9 to 18 yards. To me that is their Achilles heal.
It is.

It is.
Yes, as in Stopping Jimmy Graham in next years Championship game. It would have been nice to have Malcom Brown, but I like the pick.

pls malcolm brown one time ... keep falling buddy pls
That would be a home run. Just not likely to make it past Balt, Dallas, Det and Indy.
He was there. Shocked they didn't pick him. Everything I've read was glowing, top-15. Can't believe they passed on him at 30.
I was also surprised they passed on him. Considering Malcolm Brown fell so far there must have been something teams saw on tape.

If this kid can give them 500 productive plays between special teams and defense this year, improve his playing time each of the next three years, and last with the team into his second contract I will call this a good pick. Drafting late, as the Packers always do, I just need to see them hit singles on nearly every 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick. Then, if they can find something with upside on 1/3 of their remaining picks, well that is an average that will beat pretty much every GM in the league.

This pick will not please folks who live and die on the mock draft season, but really, that type generally have no real idea what is going on, they just become part of an ill-informed echo chamber.

If this kid can give them 500 productive plays between special teams and defense this year, improve his playing time each of the next three years, and last with the team into his second contract I will call this a good pick. Drafting late, as the Packers always do, I just need to see them hit singles on nearly every 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick. Then, if they can find something with upside on 1/3 of their remaining picks, well that is an average that will beat pretty much every GM in the league.

This pick will not please folks who live and die on the mock draft season, but really, that type generally have no real idea what is going on, they just become part of an ill-informed echo chamber.
That is a fair assessment. In addition to your thoughts I do think it matters whether or not he can translate as an NFL caliber DB. If he ends up playing safety, then this doesn't seem like the best pick we could have made.

Alex P Keaton said:
Ditkaless Wonders said:

That is a fair assessment. In addition to your thoughts I do think it matters whether or not he can translate as an NFL caliber DB. If he ends up playing safety, then this doesn't seem like the best pick we could have made.
I agree. If in the end he is nothing more than a safety, if he can't also show the coverage skills and effectiveness of at least an average corner, well the pick would then have been best utilized elsewhere. The Packers have to hit on their first rounders. When they do not we are always left with a hole we cannot fill.

Alex P Keaton said:
Ditkaless Wonders said:

I agree. If in the end he is nothing more than a safety, if he can't also show the coverage skills and effectiveness of at least an average corner, well the pick would then have been best utilized elsewhere. The Packers have to hit on their first rounders. When they do not we are always left with a hole we cannot fill.
The Packers have missed on four of their last 5 first rounders. Jones, Perry, and Sherrod haven't shown much. Ha Ha looks good so far for a rookie.

Ditkaless Wonders said:

Exactly this. They now have a versatile DB who is comfortable close to the line of scrimmage and has the speed and ball skills to cover a te and a wr out of the slot. The only question mark is converting him to a full-time DB if they need to have him play on the outside. There is some question as to whether he currently has the hip movement and control to pull it off right away. Besides that, I think wr and db are the 2 areas in which you can trust TT the most. Whitt is a hell of a position coach and they have hit on Dix, Hyde, Hayward, an undrafted Shields and to an extent House and Burnett.

Alex P Keaton said:
Ditkaless Wonders said:

The Packers have missed on four of their last 5 first rounders. Jones, Perry, and Sherrod haven't shown much. Ha Ha looks good so far for a rookie.
It's a statistically oddity.

I see no reason to doubt TT on this pick. Randall has the tools to play CB in this league. They obviously like him.

Here's TTs picks in the first two rounds since coming to GB.

Good to great players:

Aaron Rodgers (24th)

Nick Collins (51st)

Daryn Colledge (47th)

Greg Jennings (52nd)

Jordy Nelson (36th)

Clay Matthews (26th)

Bryan Bulaga (23rd)

Randall Cobb (64th)

Casey Hayward (62nd)* (could go either way here yet)

Eddie Lacy (61st)

HaHa Clinton-Dix (21st)* (its early but it looks good)

Davante Adams (53rd)* (its early but it looks good)

Okay players:

AJ Hawk (5th)

BJ Raji (9th)

Mike Neal (56th)

Subpar:

Nick Perry (28th)

Datone Jones (26th)

Misses:

Terrance Murphy (58th) (looked great in TC, then career ending injury).

Justin Harrell (16th) (constantly injured)

Brandon Jackson (63rd) (well below average talent at the position)

Brian Brohm (56th) (bust)

Patrick Lee (60th) (bust)

Derek Sherrod (32nd) (career derailed by horrific injury)

Jerel Worthy (51st) (career got off to poor start, then got hurt)

Using this history as our guide, it's 50/50 that Randall is a good to great player for the Packers. If his career isn't derailed by injury, there is a very small chance he's a bust.

Alex P Keaton said:
Ditkaless Wonders said:

It's a statistically oddity. I see no reason to doubt TT on this pick. Randall has the tools to play CB in this league. They obviously like him.

Here's TTs picks in the first two rounds since coming to GB.

Good to great players:

Aaron Rodgers (24th)

Nick Collins (51st)

Daryn Colledge (47th)

Greg Jennings (52nd)

Jordy Nelson (36th)

Clay Matthews (26th)

Bryan Bulaga (23rd)

Randall Cobb (64th)

Casey Hayward (62nd)* (could go either way here yet)

Eddie Lacy (61st)

HaHa Clinton-Dix (21st)* (its early but it looks good)

Davante Adams (53rd)* (its early but it looks good)

Okay players:

AJ Hawk (5th)

BJ Raji (9th)

Mike Neal (56th)

Subpar:

Nick Perry (28th)

Datone Jones (26th)

Misses:

Terrance Murphy (58th) (looked great in TC, then career ending injury).

Justin Harrell (16th) (constantly injured)

Brandon Jackson (63rd) (well below average talent at the position)

Brian Brohm (56th) (bust)

Patrick Lee (60th) (bust)

Derek Sherrod (32nd) (career derailed by horrific injury)

Jerel Worthy (51st) (career got off to poor start, then got hurt)

Using this history as our guide, it's 50/50 that Randall is a good to great player for the Packers. If his career isn't derailed by injury, there is a very small chance he's a bust.
Pretty strong track record. And I would have put Raji in a higher category than AJ Hawk.

Alex P Keaton said:
Ditkaless Wonders said:

The jury is still out on Jones who has been hurt. And that's only 3 of 4, Bulaga would be the 5th. You're saying TT missed on Bulaga too? :loco:

When healthy Jones showed some great stuff. I expect that this year.

I can't even recall Jones making a play. Yeah my counting was off. Perry and Jones look like need picks in retrospect.

Not a fan of the Montgomery pick, especially with Jordy, Cobb, Adams, Abbrederis & Janis on board.

Not a fan of the Montgomery pick, especially with Jordy, Cobb, Adams, Abbrederis & Janis on board.
Forget about Abbs and Janis.
Even with that, he's #4 at best. Surely there are more pressing needs. A number four WR wasn't their greatest need,. How much better is he than Abby & Janis, not much if anything.
ThiThompson doesn't draft based on need. Just isn't his philosophy.

Even with that, he's #4 at best. Surely there are more pressing needs. A number four WR wasn't their greatest need,. How much better is he than Abby & Janis, not much if anything.
Nelson was drafted #36, played as the 3rd or 4th wr and special teams his first three seasons, looks like a damn fine draft pick today.

As other said...TT does not draft need.

He wants good football players.

And perhaps he and the coaches didn't see enough in Abby and Janis to keep them from taking this guy.

If he is better than them...he gives them depth at WR and then will maybe be on his 2nd contract about the time Nelson is done (and if Adams does not make the 2nd year improvement and just fizzles out).

Its high for it in the 3rd round IMO...but again, those things don't seem to concern TT which is why he is a GM and I am a fan posting on a message board.

Say whatever you want, we had much greater needs than an above average return man with the HIGHEST drop pass percentage in the nation. Thompson gets so much credit for his occasional homerun that he gets a pass for picks that make no sense. Yup, I'm just a fan like all you dorks and your opinion means no more than mine, and in a few years we can come back and talk about who was right and who is dead. I am clearly not going to drink the wine in front of me.

Can we please stop with the Thompson doesn't draft for need nonsense. I like Thompson and this isn't a bash on him but he most certainly drafts for need. The year he took Raji and Clay they needed a big interior lineman and OLB to transition to the 3/4. The year they took Nick Perry OLB was their biggest need. The year they Datone Jones DL and RB were their biggest needs and they scoop up Lacy (great value) in the 2nd. Safety last year and they took Ha Ha. This year they lose Williams, House and with Hayward a potential free agent after the season DB was a huge need and Thompson used the1st 2 picks to address that. Yes LB is a huge need as well but none of those guys had 1st round grades and were gone by the 2nd...that's Thompson staying true to his board.

Nothing wrong with this philosophy especially if you don't reach...and Thompson doesn't. I'm just saying if 2 people are extremely close on his board he'll draft for need and not always take the best guys on his board. Too much of a coincidence that almost every year the highest guy on their board happens to be at a Huge position of need. I guess scooping up Rodgers way back when goes a long way to building a reputation.

Can we please stop with the Thompson doesn't draft for need nonsense. I like Thompson and this isn't a bash on him but he most certainly drafts for need. The year he took Raji and Clay they needed a big interior lineman and OLB to transition to the 3/4. The year they took Nick Perry OLB was their biggest need. The year they Datone Jones DL and RB were their biggest needs and they scoop up Lacy (great value) in the 2nd. Safety last year and they took Ha Ha. This year they lose Williams, House and with Hayward a potential free agent after the season DB was a huge need and Thompson used the1st 2 picks to address that. Yes LB is a huge need as well but none of those guys had 1st round grades and were gone by the 2nd...that's Thompson staying true to his board.

Nothing wrong with this philosophy especially if you don't reach...and Thompson doesn't. I'm just saying if 2 people are extremely close on his board he'll draft for need and not always take the best guys on his board. Too much of a coincidence that almost every year the highest guy on their board happens to be at a Huge position of need. I guess scooping up Rodgers way back when goes a long way to building a reputation.
I agree with you here. But I think we a FF players do this a bit differently that real GMs. We have to compare QBs vs RBs vs TEs vs WRs. They have to compare every position on the field vs one another. I'd be willing to bet that they have blocks of players that are rated virtually the same. Obviously when presented with the option of two players in the same block, you choose the one that fits your teams needs more.

Alex P Keaton said:
werdnoynek said:
Matthews at ILB?
Hope so. I actually think that is the right call. Our run defense looked transformed with him at ILB last year
You don't pay ILBs $13M/year. He's not going to play ILB. It's not going to happen. The risk of injury is way higher and you're wasting one of the best perimeter defenders in the league.

I'm just shocked they didn't take Dawson in the 3rd. He was there. Anthony went two spots later in the first as well.

In Ted we trust.... we'll see what happens.

You're wrong and right at the same time. He will always take BPA if one player is the highest rated on the board. The ratings are pretty broad, though. There can be six guys with a rating of 6.2 when Ted is up to pick. If one of those players fits a need then that's the player he picks. It's pretty simple - not sure why you guys are making it so difficult. Vic has confirmed they only rate to the .1 and not any more exact, so there are usually several players at the same X.X rating.

What that tells us is that Randall was rated significantly higher than Anthony - if they were in the same tier, I think Ted would have picked Anthony (whom went two spots later and was favored by Pauline as the best ILB in the draft). It also tells us Ty Montgomery was rated significantly higher than Paul Dawson, whom was the last impact ILB on the board. Ted is going to have to work some magic to get a thumping linebacker now.

Users who are viewing this thread