What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Green Bay Packers thread (2 Viewers)

Tramon any good? One of many rumors is Bears are looking at him. My guess is he returns to Packers.
Tramon used to be very good. Last year he was good. Better than Shields actually. Read a scouting report on him recently that said he used to be very fast. Now he's just fast. I think therein lies the concern. He lost 1/2 a step between 30-31 years of age. How much, if any, speed will he lose this year or next?

Still he's a savvy veteran CB. Would likely be better than any rookie they threw out there in 2015. Would be ideal to have him hold down the fort one more year while they draft and develop another guy.

Kitrick Taylor said:
flapgreen said:
Tramon any good? One of many rumors is Bears are looking at him. My guess is he returns to Packers.
Tramon used to be very good. Last year he was good. Better than Shields actually. Read a scouting report on him recently that said he used to be very fast. Now he's just fast. I think therein lies the concern. He lost 1/2 a step between 30-31 years of age. How much, if any, speed will he lose this year or next?

Still he's a savvy veteran CB. Would likely be better than any rookie they threw out there in 2015. Would be ideal to have him hold down the fort one more year while they draft and develop another guy.
Not sure I agree entirely with this assessment and certainly not with the bolded.

This past season QBs throwing against Tramon had a rating of 106.5 and completed 63.6% of their passes (70 completions on 110 attempts). Additionally he gave up 10 TDs. It's really hard to argue these are, in any way, quality numbers for a starting DB. Compared to Shields' numbers, it's no wonder opposing offenses picked on Williams the most.

By comparison, against Shields Qbs had a rating of 83.5 completing 51.2% of passes (44 completions on 86 attempts). Shields gave up 5 TDs.

One thing I will give Tramon credit for is that I believe he brings a certain fearlessness to the position as evidenced by his 65 tackles and 14 passes defensed.

Kitrick Taylor said:
flapgreen said:
Tramon used to be very good. Last year he was good. Better than Shields actually. Read a scouting report on him recently that said he used to be very fast. Now he's just fast. I think therein lies the concern. He lost 1/2 a step between 30-31 years of age. How much, if any, speed will he lose this year or next? Still he's a savvy veteran CB. Would likely be better than any rookie they threw out there in 2015. Would be ideal to have him hold down the fort one more year while they draft and develop another guy.
McGinn graded Tramon slightly better than Shields this season.

Sam Shields: Playing 75.9%, Shields finished third on the club in missed tackles with 13 and led in plays of 20 yards or more allowed with 10½. He has undisciplined moments in which his focus and mental toughness can be questioned. At the same time, he's a fabulous talent with the speed, quickness and hands not only to challenge but to take the ball away from premier receivers. Bump-and-run coverage is his specialty. He's also among the least-penalized CBs in the NFL. He had one this season, giving him just nine in five seasons. Shields continues to peek too much in the backfield and therefore loses sight of his man. Sometimes he can outrun his mistakes. Other times he can't. Grade: B-minus.

Tramon Williams: A first-team All-NFC North choice the past four seasons, he settled for second this year behind Detroit's Darius Slay. Knowledgeable, committed and, at 31, still highly athletic and in exceptional condition. Some personnel men have said they detected a slight drop-off in his speed but the Packers said it didn't happen. Yielded eight plays of 20 yards or more and a team-high eight TDs. Might be the best unrestricted CB so the Packers have to know that if Williams reaches the market he probably isn't coming back. Led CBs in tackles per snap (one every 6.7) while missing only nine. Grade: B.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/19320/packers-one-of-three-with-no-new-additions

packers 1 of only 2 teams not to sign a free agent so far (the other being baltimore). pretty much status quo
Nothing wrong with that at all. The Pack has every offensive starter locked up for the next two years. Ted does it right. And to reward them for all that great draft/development will be a free 4th rounder next year for House leaving. Maybe we'll draft another super cheap starting caliber left tackle (per Bahktiari, whom was drafted in the 4th). Ho, hum.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/19320/packers-one-of-three-with-no-new-additions

packers 1 of only 2 teams not to sign a free agent so far (the other being baltimore). pretty much status quo
Nothing wrong with that at all. The Pack has every offensive starter locked up for the next two years. Ted does it right. And to reward them for all that great draft/development will be a free 4th rounder next year for House leaving. Maybe we'll draft another super cheap starting caliber left tackle (per Bahktiari, whom was drafted in the 4th). Ho, hum.
at what point is it stubborn over strategy in not signing free agents? signing peppers turned out brilliant last year. and it's not like he was a bargain. they actually spent money and it worked out well. plenty of guys out there that could have helped this year

at what point is it stubborn over strategy in not signing free agents? signing peppers turned out brilliant last year. and it's not like he was a bargain. they actually spent money and it worked out well. plenty of guys out there that could have helped this year
When did he sign Peppers?

March 15th.

FA started on the 10th last year.

Ted does not get involved in the early days of free agency.

He lets other teams spend big money on guys like Michael Johnson and so on. Guys that they pay over market value for...and end up cutting the next year...or 2 years into these huge contracts.

Charles Woodson was signed over a week into free agency that year too.

That is when the market comes down to normal.

Ted is not in it to win the first 2 weeks of March.

Last edited by a moderator:

We can't sign a guy like Peppers for $9M per every year AND keep our best players year after year. TT places a premium on keeping the guys he drafts, who the team has evaluated and knows best, over taking a flier every year on some other team's players. That just seems like common sense.Which players would you suggest we pass on - Cobb, Bulaga, etc - in lieu of signing another team's free agents? And which specific free agents would you have signed this year? At what cost?

Personally I think TT is doing exactly what he should have this offseason.

Interested to see what happens to the d. Offense was never the concern, defense is. Interested to see what free agent linebacker(s) TT brings in. Also have issues at cb. Need a run stuffer on the line too.

Which player in the first week of free agency was worth the money? With Cobb/Bulaga signed they have zero needs on the offensive side of the ball. I'm not seeing any stud ILBs out there being signed.

Even if there was a stud LB out there... you have to think about whether it's worth a 4th rounder + a big contract to bring them on to the team. Those comp picks are super valuable, and you gain one just by not signing someone (after House left).

Guess who was the Packers' 4th round comp pick four years ago? Davon House. By letting House walk and not signing any other free agent, Ted is basically recouping the pick he spent on House, and got four years of solid production at a very low salary (<$1M/year). That's amazing.

Guess who was the Packers' 4th round comp pick three years ago? Mike Daniels. He nor House would be on the team if we had signed a net positive free agent the previous years.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand how to apply these concepts for maximum gain. I wish people on these boards spent a little more time examining how the cap & draft rules work before commenting on signing free agents.

Add Jennings to the list of guys that signed FA deals and only lasted a couple years into the contract.

Early FA is completely overrated...I would bet the majority of these big early deals end up giving the teams less value than those that give them good value.

Phenomena said:
shady inc said:
Phenomena said:

Which player in the first week of free agency was worth the money? With Cobb/Bulaga signed they have zero needs on the offensive side of the ball. I'm not seeing any stud ILBs out there being signed.

Even if there was a stud LB out there... you have to think about whether it's worth a 4th rounder + a big contract to bring them on to the team. Those comp picks are super valuable, and you gain one just by not signing someone (after House left).

Guess who was the Packers' 4th round comp pick four years ago? Davon House. By letting House walk and not signing any other free agent, Ted is basically recouping the pick he spent on House, and got four years of solid production at a very low salary (<$1M/year). That's amazing.

Guess who was the Packers' 4th round comp pick three years ago? Mike Daniels. He nor House would be on the team if we had signed a net positive free agent the previous years.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand how to apply these concepts for maximum gain. I wish people on these boards spent a little more time examining how the cap & draft rules work before commenting on signing free agents.
Sorry dude, as just an average, every day fan, I don't have the time or desire to understand how the cap works. Sorry about that. I was just proposing a question. Packers now the only team to not sign a FA after the ravens signed kendrick lewis

And what FA did they signr when they won ymthe Super Bowl?

Woodson was several years before that.

Signing free agents in the first few days means what? Other that typically paying over market value for a crapshoot that may not fit with uour team and who coud likely be cut in 2-3 years.

Phenomena said:
shady inc said:
Phenomena said:

Sorry dude, as just an average, every day fan, I don't have the time or desire to understand how the cap works. Sorry about that. I was just proposing a question. Packers now the only team to not sign a FA after the ravens signed kendrick lewis
It takes a few minutes to learn the cap. I just explained it to my 6 year-old son over dinner.

Of the 60 #Packers currently under contract, only Julius Peppers has ever played a game for another team.

That's beyond impressive.

Signing free agents in the first few days means what? Other that typically paying over market value for a crapshoot that may not fit with uour team and who coud likely be cut in 2-3 years.
Everyone points to Reggie White. That was the very start of the free agency/cap times and teams didn't know how to use it wisely. Nowadays a player like Reggie White would never make free agency. And don't give me the Suh crap - he's no Reggie White or Lawrence Taylor. The equivalent nowadays would be JJ Watt making free agency - never going to happen.

But, say a "Reggie White" was available nowadays and it did work out for both the signing and an eventual championship. What does that prove? It worked once? Dozens of players every year are signed to ludicrous deals that (very) often end up wrecking a team's cap and they get underperform, get cut, or get traded down the line anyway. See Harvin, Jennings, Wallace, Byrd, and pretty much every big free agent signing the past 5 years.

Phenomena said:
shady inc said:
Phenomena said:

It takes a few minutes to learn the cap. I just explained it to my 6 year-old son over dinner.
Maybe it's simpler than I thought. Please explain

Phenomena said:
shady inc said:
Phenomena said:

I would be interested too. Does it go something like this: "The cap this year is X million dollars. Don't go over X."?

Everyone points to Reggie White. That was the very start of the free agency/cap times and teams didn't know how to use it wisely. Nowadays a player like Reggie White would never make free agency. And don't give me the Suh crap - he's no Reggie White or Lawrence Taylor. The equivalent nowadays would be JJ Watt making free agency - never going to happen.

But, say a "Reggie White" was available nowadays and it did work out for both the signing and an eventual championship. What does that prove? It worked once? Dozens of players every year are signed to ludicrous deals that (very) often end up wrecking a team's cap and they get underperform, get cut, or get traded down the line anyway. See Harvin, Jennings, Wallace, Byrd, and pretty much every big free agent signing the past 5 years.
Even that signing came a few years before they won it all.

And it was a confluence of Wolf, Holmgren, Favre, White and others all coming together and then playing together a few years.

Phenomena said:
shady inc said:
Phenomena said:

I would be interested too. Does it go something like this: "The cap this year is X million dollars. Don't go over X."?
I'll be sure to videotape it next time for the two of you and put it on YouTube.

Even that signing came a few years before they won it all.

And it was a confluence of Wolf, Holmgren, Favre, White and others all coming together and then playing together a few years.
Yep. White signed in, what, 1993? Packers didn't win a Super Bowl until the 96-97 season.

Tramon to the Browns.

3 years...21 mil.

Alit at his age. Wondering the guarantees..gb was offering 2 years...he got 3.

GL too him.

Leaves a big question mark.

I think Heyward steps up. Shields is fine. They draft a couple guys. I wouldn't mind seeing a 1st round CB actually.

I think Heyward steps up. Shields is fine. They draft a couple guys. I wouldn't mind seeing a 1st round CB actually.
Surprised how many people forget that Hayward was the #3 rated cover corner in the entire league his rookie year. I mean, he was a beast. Injuries have sidelined him but I think he comes back strong.

The Packers continue to turn out fantastic CBs given their draft status. Sam shields was undrafted. Tramon Williams was undrafted. If the Packers ever used a high pick on a CB he might end up being an all-pro! Oh, wait, that actually happened. Hayward was a second round pick and had the third highest PFF rating his rookie year. But, he wasn't voted all-pro, likely because he wasn't a household name. Then he got hurt and hasn't made it 100% back. I have faith, though.

Surprised how many people forget that Hayward was the #3 rated cover corner in the entire league his rookie year. I mean, he was a beast. Injuries have sidelined him but I think he comes back strong.

The Packers continue to turn out fantastic CBs given their draft status. Sam shields was undrafted. Tramon Williams was undrafted. If the Packers ever used a high pick on a CB he might end up being an all-pro! Oh, wait, that actually happened. Hayward was a second round pick and had the third highest PFF rating his rookie year. But, he wasn't voted all-pro, likely because he wasn't a household name. Then he got hurt and hasn't made it 100% back. I have faith, though.
I sure hope so but he's earned his doubters too. I think he'll be fine. I don't think he will be fantastic. Probably serviceable.

Tramon to the Browns.

3 years...21 mil.

Alit at his age. Wondering the guarantees..gb was offering 2 years...he got 3.

GL too him.

Leaves a big question mark.
That's $7M/year... which is 4th rounder territory. The Packers could be looking at two 4th-rounders in comp picks next year. Crazy. Draft & develop for the win!

I bet they raise the thresholds given the cap is increasing. OTC is anticipating a lot of 4th rounders based on APY. If they increase the thresholds a bit it might end up being a 4th and a 5th - still pretty good.

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Green Bay has its eye on free agent wideout Wes Welker.

Anyone who reports on this kind of garbage is immediately discredited for me. Talk about click-bait. Top team, well-known figure. What a joke.

First off, he's 34. Second, they have plenty of WRs now. And third, they'd have to give up a 4th rounder that they are getting in comp picks if they sign ANYONE, regardless of price. Even league minimum players. You don't sign anyone at this stage unless he's worth giving up a 4th round pick, and that's not going to happen.

From now on when I see "Ian Rapaport" I'm immediately closing an article.

Guion resigned and looks like Raji as well.
Excellent news. Gives TT a lot of flexibility going into the draft, along with better depth on the D-line. I'd rather have both of those guys

on board at a reasonable price than to overpay for an aging Tramon Williams or an always-banged-up Davon House.

Guion resigned and looks like Raji as well.
Excellent news. Gives TT a lot of flexibility going into the draft, along with better depth on the D-line. I'd rather have both of those guys

on board at a reasonable price than to overpay for an aging Tramon Williams or an always-banged-up Davon House.
I would have liked Tramon back...but never for the prices both of those guys got.

Guion got a bit more than I expected...but he was getting some interest elsewhere.

Screwed himself out of a long term deal by getting arrested with the dope and all though.

Guion in the clear on his drug bust? Also Raji is a JAG. He had a ton of potential but he's never lived up to it. Both of these guys have drugs in their background, right? Isn't that why Raji got suspended back in Boston College?

I'm waiting for the Lance Briggs announcement. You know it's coming.

If smoking weed in college--8 years ago--is "drugs in his background," I guess so. But the rumor that Raji failed the combine drug test was false.

Raji is in a similar spot to Bulaga last year. It's been so long since he played well that you simply can't count on him. But he could still be good.

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Green Bay has its eye on free agent wideout Wes Welker.

Anyone who reports on this kind of garbage is immediately discredited for me. Talk about click-bait. Top team, well-known figure. What a joke.

First off, he's 34. Second, they have plenty of WRs now. And third, they'd have to give up a 4th rounder that they are getting in comp picks if they sign ANYONE, regardless of price. Even league minimum players. You don't sign anyone at this stage unless he's worth giving up a 4th round pick, and that's not going to happen.

From now on when I see "Ian Rapaport" I'm immediately closing an article.
and then linking it

Guion in the clear on his drug bust? Also Raji is a JAG. He had a ton of potential but he's never lived up to it. Both of these guys have drugs in their background, right? Isn't that why Raji got suspended back in Boston College?

Thought you meant Raji signed with the Jags ... lols.

I don't think Raji is "just another guy" ... he had some dominate stretches early in his career (his rookie year playoff performance was OUTSTANDING) but much of his playing time since then has been derailed with badly-timed injuries. Some of that is just bad luck.

The Packers clearly believe that because they gave him a one-year deal for $4M, which was 3rd highest DT money. If they have $2.75M on the table for another year, that's still top 10 DT money.

If smoking weed in college--8 years ago--is "drugs in his background," I guess so. But the rumor that Raji failed the combine drug test was false.

Raji is in a similar spot to Bulaga last year. It's been so long since he played well that you simply can't count on him. But he could still be good.
I don't know about that. Bulaga just turned 26. Raji will be 29 when the season starts.

Seemed he is pretty clear of his drug bust other than the forfeiture of property part.

League will still weigh in at some point for a couple games or so.

Raji is more than JAG that we have right now. At NT he played well and that is where he is going back to.

Raji is the 24th highest paid DT at this point for 2015. I'm sure when season rolls around he'll be a handful of spots lower than that. Guion is the 35th highest paid DT. It was a good day for the Packers defense. They likely paid Raji a bit more than they wanted, but they have no commitment to him beyond 2015. They know him better than anyone else, and they've chosen to resign him twice.

If you listen to the local guys that cover the Packers and Guion, his trouble with the law is very overblown.

-The gun he had on him was a registered weapon. Just not the state that he was in when he was caught with it.

-The cash he had on him ($190,000 I think) was just taken out of his bank. He was driving it down south as that is where his family is from.

-The weed (which was about a 1lb, was for his brother.)

I'm not foolish enough to think that Guion doesn't smoke weed. But I think the reason for the slap on the wrist in this case was the reality of the story. He bought his brother a pound of weed and was on his way to his parents house to give them $190,000 in cash. If the local authorities actually thought he was a gun toting drug dealer he wouldn't have walked away with this slap on the wrist.

Users who are viewing this thread