What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2015 Oakland Raiders Thread (1 Viewer)

Rich Conway said:
Awesome, but I grew bored of it by the end of day two.
Yeah, it gets boring blindly guessing what each player will accept. It's not like the players just sit there collecting offers, they make counters, this would be much better with a counter-offer system.

What is the latest on the DC hire? It has been awful quite. Might this be an indication that JDR wants someone on one of the super team's staff?

What is the latest on the DC hire? It has been awful quite. Might this be an indication that JDR wants someone on one of the super team's staff?
Doubt it. They're waiting until Mike Smith finally accepts that no one else wants him and concedes to being the Raiders DC.

Yippie?

[rant] I get the point of wanting the absolute best down by the club you follow. But I'm lost at the need to chop down and critique every single move made. Did they sign the coach, or staff you wanted? Maybe not - but lets pretend for a second that the owner/GM/front office know a bit more about the club and where they want to get to then the collective us. Can we give this staff at least one week of training camp before closing the door on the 2015 season? Geez. [/end rant].

Carry on, nothing to see here.

[rant] I get the point of wanting the absolute best down by the club you follow. But I'm lost at the need to chop down and critique every single move made. Did they sign the coach, or staff you wanted? Maybe not - but lets pretend for a second that the owner/GM/front office know a bit more about the club and where they want to get to then the collective us. Can we give this staff at least one week of training camp before closing the door on the 2015 season? Geez. [/end rant].

You mean the guys that look to John Madden for help with coaching hires and brought in Dennis Allen, Knapp and Olson?

You mean the guys that look to John Madden for help with coaching hires and brought in Dennis Allen, Knapp and Olson?
I honestly don't recall if Madden was involved in the hiring of Allen, Knapp, or Olson. But if Madded provided some guidance here, and an extra set of eyes, ears, and opinions, then I'm not sure of what the harm is.

Sure those other guys blew it, and I'm happy they are gone. But that is the benefit of being able to evaluate a decision on the results. But instead of looking at the poor results and then pretending that we missed out on an amazing coaching staff, has anybody looked at who was available or who had interviewed when those bums were hired? Because that's the true measure of the decision. What was taken vs what was available?

Adam Caplan@caplannfl 7m7 minutes ago
On new #Raiders OC Bill Musgrave, he's planning on running a no-huddle offense. That's the 1 facet of Chip Kelly's offense he's taking.
So, I guess it's good that we may have a little more creativity on offense, I am not sure how to take this.

Carr is comfortable with a no-huddle/spread formation from his college days, and it may help that he may not need to rely on too many downfield decisions in an up-tempo style. That said, not sure this helps him develop as an NFL QB who can be poised in the pocket and learn how to manage the game at the NFL level. Ds adapt to these kinds of trends.

Also not sure if we have the personnel -- especially at receiver -- to be able to run a no-huddle effectively. Seems the best no-huddle is also predicated on the threat of the run as well, which we don't exactly have (until Latavius shows consistency in his flashes from end of last year).

Afraid this is going to be just another new system by another new coordinator that results in stasis (or worse, a step back) for the team overall.

@AdamSchefter: Raiders announced they have signed S Charles Woodson to a contract extension.

Can't believe how well this guy is still playing. Good to have a leader like him still around too.

Faust said:
Tuck gets it.

I fondly remember the great Raider teams being anchored "knock your ### in the dirty" type of players. Ben Davidson, Otis Sistrunk (University of Mars), Lyle Alzado, The Tooz, Howie. Suh would be a great addition to renew the tradition.
This isn't the 70s. If you thought Suh was flagged a lot so far in his career, just wait until he's wearing black.
used to be this is where players would come to resurrect their careers ...now it seems this is where players come to get a last big payday before going out to pasture

There are teams that can pass on the best DT in the league.

We aren't one of them.
The talent is undeniably there but how much better is he then a guy like Knighton? Certainly he's better but enough so to offset character concerns, particularly after he gets a fat payday?

We aren't one of them.
The talent is undeniably there but how much better is he then a guy like Knighton? Certainly he's better but enough so to offset character concerns, particularly after he gets a fat payday?
I'm not gonna stump for him, because I truly believe there's zero chance of it happening, but:

1. His character concerns aren't anything beyond being dirty, the occasional one game suspension. No drugs, no hitting anyone other than offensive linemen. He's not a head case, he's just a mean person.

2. He's a lot better, IMO, than any D-linemen not named Watt. A truly disruptive two-way DT, destroys run-blocking schemes, and a great pass rusher.

3. With any gifted DT, the potential for them to get paid, and ease up and get fat is a real possibility. Suh has shown no potential for that. And I've looked. He doesn't seem to have a body type where he's fighting the weight battle. He doesn't have a gut, he carries his weight evenly, he's just thick all over. There aren't many DTs that are built like him. He almost looks like a young Ngata.

4. He's already gotten his big money. Repeatedly, it seems. If he was gonna get a big payday, and turn into a marshmallow, we would have seen it.

He's a big, mean All-Pro at a premium position that's still young. I think there will be a dozen better teams that can offer him 15 mill per, so I am not thinking about him, but Suh would do a ton of things for this team. Bring a nasty edge to the defense, draw attention and blockers away from everyone else, signal the fact that premium free agents are willing to come to Oakland (no small thing). The ripple effect of a stud DT like that would stretch to the secondary.

I'm hoping for Knighton, I think that's realistic. And hopefully the 7 mill/per we save by having Knighton instead can be used for another premium starter, and maybe the team is better with two (or three) good players than one Suh. I could see that.

Fact is, this team could afford Dez Bryant, Suh, and Knighton, with plenty left over for other needs.

We aren't one of them.
I'm not gonna stump for him, because I truly believe there's zero chance of it happening, but:

1. His character concerns aren't anything beyond being dirty, the occasional one game suspension. No drugs, no hitting anyone other than offensive linemen. He's not a head case, he's just a mean person.

2. He's a lot better, IMO, than any D-linemen not named Watt. A truly disruptive two-way DT, destroys run-blocking schemes, and a great pass rusher.

3. With any gifted DT, the potential for them to get paid, and ease up and get fat is a real possibility. Suh has shown no potential for that. And I've looked. He doesn't seem to have a body type where he's fighting the weight battle. He doesn't have a gut, he carries his weight evenly, he's just thick all over. There aren't many DTs that are built like him. He almost looks like a young Ngata.

4. He's already gotten his big money. Repeatedly, it seems. If he was gonna get a big payday, and turn into a marshmallow, we would have seen it.

He's a big, mean All-Pro at a premium position that's still young. I think there will be a dozen better teams that can offer him 15 mill per, so I am not thinking about him, but Suh would do a ton of things for this team. Bring a nasty edge to the defense, draw attention and blockers away from everyone else, signal the fact that premium free agents are willing to come to Oakland (no small thing). The ripple effect of a stud DT like that would stretch to the secondary.

I'm hoping for Knighton, I think that's realistic. And hopefully the 7 mill/per we save by having Knighton instead can be used for another premium starter, and maybe the team is better with two (or three) good players than one Suh. I could see that.

Fact is, this team could afford Dez Bryant, Suh, and Knighton, with plenty left over for other needs.
Solid analysis.

Although doesn't he have several off-field driving related violations? Not sure if any were DUIs though.

Good memory:

Another traffic incident for Ndamukong SuhPosted by Michael David Smith on November 27, 2012, 6:43 AM EST
350x-2511.jpg
APLions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh found out on Monday that he won’t be suspended for kicking Texans quarterback Matt Schaub. But at the rate Suh is going, it may be just a matter of time before his drivers license is suspended.

FOX 2 in Detroit is reporting that Suh was ticketed in Lathrup Village, Michigan, on November 15 for failure to use due care and caution. That is at least Suh’s fourth traffic incident within the past year: A month earlier Suh and another driver both said they were sideswiped by each other. In March, Suh was ticketed for driving 91 miles per hour in a 55 mph zone. A year ago, while Suh was serving his suspension for his infamous Thanksgiving stomp of Packers offensive lineman Evan Dietrich-Smith, he was ticketed for an accident in which he drove into a tree in Portland, Oregon.

Suh’s bad driving goes back to his college days at Nebraska: He was cited for negligent driving in college when he sideswiped several parked cars in an incident that he said was caused by swerving to avoid hitting an animal.

It might be time for Suh to use some of the $68 million in his five-year contract with the Lions to hire himself a full-time chauffeur.

So give me the cliff notes on Knighton. What makes you think he is on the same level as Suh? One particular game? I will watch and report back. I just find it hard to believe he is the straw that stirred the drink in Denver. I have no doubt Suh was the straw on a very, very good defense.

Agreed. Zero risk here IMO, he got $60M before even playing a down, and all he does is go all out all the time.

In terms of draft prospects, thought about what would happen if a guy like Leonard Williams or Randy Gregory dropped to us at 4. We still have the need to shore up our ability to get to the QB, and Williams can be a factor anywhere on the line while Gregory could be a good threat with Mack if they use him as an LB.

But the play here really may be getting the best receiver in the draft, even if it is a relatively deep position. Need to have someone for Carr to develop a special chemistry with to spark the O.

In terms of draft prospects, thought about what would happen if a guy like Leonard Williams or Randy Gregory dropped to us at 4. We still have the need to shore up our ability to get to the QB, and Williams can be a factor anywhere on the line while Gregory could be a good threat with Mack if they use him as an LB.

But the play here really may be getting the best receiver in the draft, even if it is a relatively deep position. Need to have someone for Carr to develop a special chemistry with to spark the O.
Right now, if Williams is there, I think it's a repeat of last year's draft decision: "Best player in the draft is available? OK, we'll take him. What you guys wanna do for the next 14 minutes and 30 seconds??" Gregory makes me nervous. He's skinny, looks like a basketball player.

If Williams isn't there, who knows? WR makes sense. But so does every other position aside from QB and OLB.

The draft isn't as good/top heavy as last year, according to the draft community. If you assume that is correct, and last year's rookies do look really good, then the 'value' argument says trade down, trade down. Easier said than done.

While I want Williams, I have to admit being interested in what happens if Mariota is still there. Stay put and take Cooper, or trade down and take White or Parker? Trade down two spots with Jets? Or down to 10/Rams or 12/Browns?

According to the draftniks, this 1st round is very deep in WRs and pass rushers. Pretty nice year to trade down.

In terms of WR talent I think the top end of this draft is a par with last year. I agree that the direction is likely BPA. Free agency will also have a strong influence on what they do in the draft. If they can bolster the Dline in free agency then the focus will be on get some support for Carr.

@ChrisHansenNFL: Raiders DC job is likely between Ken Norton Jr. and Brian VanGorder (aka the not so mysterious college guy).

@ChrisHansenNFL: VanGorder worked for Del Rio a year as LB coach in 05 and for Mike Smith for 5 years, 4 as DC.

@ChrisHansenNFL: Raiders DC job is likely between Ken Norton Jr. and Brian VanGorder (aka the not so mysterious college guy).

@ChrisHansenNFL: VanGorder worked for Del Rio a year as LB coach in 05 and for Mike Smith for 5 years, 4 as DC.
I think I would like to see them give Ken Norton a chance over this VanGorder guy who, I think, was out of football entirely last season.

With how long it is taking for them to pick a DC I would imagine Del Rio will have a heavy hand in the defensive play calling.

Never heard anything about his coaching, we shall see.

The only thing I do know is coaches tend to bring in FA they know, so I am wondering if any of these new hires can earn their keep by bringing in some FAs.

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) — The Oakland Raiders have hired Seattle linebackers coach Ken Norton Jr. as their new defensive coordinator.

Coach Jack Del Rio announced Friday that his former teammate with the Dallas Cowboys will join his staff to run the defense in Oakland.

Del Rio and Norton were teammates in Dallas for two seasons. Norton also played with the San Francisco 49ers before beginning his coaching career at his alma mater Southern California in 2004. Norton spent six years with the Trojans before following Pete Carroll to Seattle.

Norton has been linebackers coach for the Seahawks for five seasons, helping them win the Super Bowl last season and make it back this year.

Users who are viewing this thread