What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2015 Oakland Raiders Thread (3 Viewers)

JDR hiring not looking strong out of the gate.
Raiders hired Bill Musgrave as offensive coordinator.
Musgrave, 47, was the Eagles' QBs coach this past season and oversaw Nick Foles' multiple steps back from his breakout 2013 under then-QBs coach-turned-Dolphins OC Bill Lazor. Prior to his time with the Eagles, Musgrave was the Vikings' offensive play-caller under coach Leslie Frazier. Musgrave failed miserably at using Percy Harvin and simply leaned on Adrian Peterson. It's not a promising hire for the Raiders in our opinion, but could be good news for Latavius Murray. Musgrave will have full control of the offense under defensive-minded coach Jack Del Rio. Musgrave worked under Del Rio in Jacksonville.

I give up :kicksrock:

Jesus. How do these losers keep getting jobs above position coach in this league? Pathetic how many guys would rather work with their buddies than win.

JDR hiring not looking strong out of the gate.
Raiders hired Bill Musgrave as offensive coordinator.
Musgrave, 47, was the Eagles' QBs coach this past season and oversaw Nick Foles' multiple steps back from his breakout 2013 under then-QBs coach-turned-Dolphins OC Bill Lazor. Prior to his time with the Eagles, Musgrave was the Vikings' offensive play-caller under coach Leslie Frazier. Musgrave failed miserably at using Percy Harvin and simply leaned on Adrian Peterson. It's not a promising hire for the Raiders in our opinion, but could be good news for Latavius Murray. Musgrave will have full control of the offense under defensive-minded coach Jack Del Rio. Musgrave worked under Del Rio in Jacksonville.

I give up :kicksrock:
I disagree with the part about Harvin. Harvin had by far his best season under Musgrave in 2011 and in 2012 Harvin was having a excellent season before getting injured and missing the second half of the season. Musgrave used Harvin very well. In 2012 before Harvin was injured he was on pace for 110 receptions, 1,204 yards, 5 TD's, 39 rush attempts, 171 yards, 2 TD's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been just as negative as any fan the past decade but isn't there a bright side to this hire? Maybe, just maybe Musgrave learned a few things working with Chip Kelly? He did bring Foles along nicely. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise for Carr and the Raiders.

Am I the only one that finds the Musgrave hire a little alarming? Like I said early pretty uninspiring as the numbers from the article bare out:

1998 Eagles -- 30th points, 30th yards
2000 Panthers -- 21st points, 20th yards
2003 Jaguars -- 25th points, 12th yards
2004 Jaguars -- 29th points, 21st yards
2011 Vikings -- 19th points, 18th yards
2012 Vikings -- 14th points, 20th yards
2013 Vikings -- 14th points, 13th yards

Feels like another Knapp/Olsen type hire. I will withhold further judgement, but I am not optimistic.

Am I the only one that finds the Musgrave hire a little alarming? Like I said early pretty uninspiring as the numbers from the article bare out:

1998 Eagles -- 30th points, 30th yards
2000 Panthers -- 21st points, 20th yards
2003 Jaguars -- 25th points, 12th yards
2004 Jaguars -- 29th points, 21st yards
2011 Vikings -- 19th points, 18th yards
2012 Vikings -- 14th points, 20th yards
2013 Vikings -- 14th points, 13th yards

Feels like another Knapp/Olsen type hire. I will withhold further judgement, but I am not optimistic.
No, I am pretty sure all of Raider Nation is somewhere in between unimpressed to ready to jump off of bridge with this hire.

The only thing that I am holding on to right now is that if you look at all those seasons as HC- it is not like he exactly had the best offensive talent to work with. The QB's from Eagles, Panthers, Jaguars and Vikings are pretty bad. Still, it sure does not get me pumped up to have him come in to run our offense.

I've been just as negative as any fan the past decade but isn't there a bright side to this hire? Maybe, just maybe Musgrave learned a few things working with Chip Kelly? He did bring Foles along nicely. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise for Carr and the Raiders.
Foles regressed big time under Musgrave. You're thinking of Bill Lazor who did well with Foles. Lazor went south to Miami, and coincidentally Tannyhill had his best season ever. And other than a couple of games from Sanchez, Philly QB's never got on track last year.

Eh, it all comes down to players. They make the coaches look good. Wish we had Trestman, but wait and see. My guess is Trestman didn't take it

I did like this quote from Musgrave:

“I'm definitely not going to come in with a system and force anybody to do something that's not natural. We're definitely going to try to customize and tailor the Raiders' system to fit the Raider players. Philosophically, I do believe in running the football. I definitely want to be a physical outfit that runs the ball and imposes their will on the defense,” Musgrave said. “At the same time, it's difficult to defend through the passing game and through being diverse.”

Not a fan of coaches that are so rigid they try to make everyone fit their system no matter what personnel they have.

This sounds exactly like the blurbs Greg Olson would put out there, establishing the run, adapting to players strength, yada yada...

@RapSheet: #Raiders expected to interview former #Falcons coach Mike Smith for their defensive coordinator job, source said. Talked to Mangini today

Cheer up ICON211

Eh, it all comes down to players. They make the coaches look good.
:lmao: No such thing as a good coach huh?
Put another way:

Do I think Pep Hamilton is an amazing offensive mind, or do I think he has Andrew Luck?

Not really sure.

I do think we have seen way too many coaches do a good job with good talent, and the same coaches do poorly with bad talent.

I don't take think anyone knows which coordinator is good and which is bad. There are exceptions, but we are guessing, even if everyone pretends they have an idea if Musgrave is a good coach or not.

Put another way:

Do I think Pep Hamilton is an amazing offensive mind, or do I think he has Andrew Luck?

Not really sure.

I do think we have seen way too many coaches do a good job with good talent, and the same coaches do poorly with bad talent.

I don't take think anyone knows which coordinator is good and which is bad. There are exceptions, but we are guessing, even if everyone pretends they have an idea if Musgrave is a good coach or not.
Did you have the same feelings regarding Knapp and Olson?

A coach doesn't have to be the next BB. Ask yourself if JDR is closer to Andy Reid or Romeo Crennel? Sorry but until he proves me wrong I lean towards the latter.

Put another way:Do I think Pep Hamilton is an amazing offensive mind, or do I think he has Andrew Luck?

Not really sure.

Yes. And about Trestman when he was here. And Hue Jackson.

I prefer Trestman, but for no other reason than I have read some nice things about him, and that his offense was very QB-friendly.

I don't have the first clue if he works have been a great choice, and I really don't know a thing about Musgrave.

And I haven't read anything here that makes me think that anyone posing here knows anything at all about him.

I'm willing to be convinced. If someone has a breakdown of why his offense ideas don't work, or players that excelled once free of Musgrave's terrible influence, I'm ready to learn.

Numbers mean little in context. Raiders had a terrible defense last year, but I thought Tarver did fine with what he had.

I of course, can't prove he's a good coach. Which is why I'm not holding my breath on anything approaching evidence that Musgrave has no idea what he's doing.

Good luck with Musgrave as OC.

Might as well play with leather helmets and no face masks. If he coached a Pop Warner team the kids would ask him to make things a little more complex and interesting.

There's plenty of track record to determine whether or not Musgrave is a good OC - he's not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put another way:Do I think Pep Hamilton is an amazing offensive mind, or do I think he has Andrew Luck?

Not really sure.

Yes. And about Trestman when he was here. And Hue Jackson.

I prefer Trestman, but for no other reason than I have read some nice things about him, and that his offense was very QB-friendly.

I don't have the first clue if he works have been a great choice, and I really don't know a thing about Musgrave.

And I haven't read anything here that makes me think that anyone posing here knows anything at all about him.

I'm willing to be convinced. If someone has a breakdown of why his offense ideas don't work, or players that excelled once free of Musgrave's terrible influence, I'm ready to learn.

Numbers mean little in context. Raiders had a terrible defense last year, but I thought Tarver did fine with what he had.

I of course, can't prove he's a good coach. Which is why I'm not holding my breath on anything approaching evidence that Musgrave has no idea what he's doing.
How do you feel about Olson and Knapp now? Still think they could turn it around? Would you be okay with bringing either of them back to Oakland?

So now the Raiders are supposedly interested in Mel Tucker for DC. I give up. It will never get better. We're doomed.

Mel Tucker - DL - Free Agent

The San Francisco Chronicle's Vic Tafur reports ex-Bears DC Mel Tucker is on the "radar" for the Raiders' defensive-coordinator vacancy.
Tucker worked under new coach Jack Del Rio in Jacksonville as the defensive coordinator from 2009-2011. He was most recently the Bears' defensive boss the past two seasons, guiding Chicago to back-to-back 30th-place finishes in total defense. Tucker has had previous success in Cleveland and Jacksonville.

Chaka said:
massraider said:
Chaka said:
massraider said:
RBM said:
massraider said:

Not really sure.

Yes. And about Trestman when he was here. And Hue Jackson.I prefer Trestman, but for no other reason than I have read some nice things about him, and that his offense was very QB-friendly.

How do you feel about Olson and Knapp now? Still think they could turn it around? Would you be okay with bringing either of them back to Oakland?
Knapp-no. Olson, I never knew what the problem was supposed to be with him.

By the way, I'm not excited about Musgrave any more than anyone else. Not exciting at all.

My only point is that I think the league is won by better players, for the most part. Jason Garret became a lot smarter when they added strong offensive linemen, and John Fox got a lot dumber when Manning's arm turned to mush.

Anyone want Bill Callahan back? Of course not.

So now the Raiders are supposedly interested in Mel Tucker for DC. I give up. It will never get better. We're doomed.

Mel Tucker - DL - Free Agent

The San Francisco Chronicle's Vic Tafur reports ex-Bears DC Mel Tucker is on the "radar" for the Raiders' defensive-coordinator vacancy.
Tucker worked under new coach Jack Del Rio in Jacksonville as the defensive coordinator from 2009-2011. He was most recently the Bears' defensive boss the past two seasons, guiding Chicago to back-to-back 30th-place finishes in total defense. Tucker has had previous success in Cleveland and Jacksonville.
I don't like emoticons, but this one seems apt in describing how I went from Pollyanna optimism at what getting a fresh HC and new surrounding staff could mean for the team, to the reality of the same old situation as this post clearly shows.

:doh:

I just don't think it's a coincidence that Foles regressed so severely in the ONE season that Musgrave was the Eagles' QB coach.

Andy Dufresne said:
I just don't think it's a coincidence that Foles regressed so severely in the ONE season that Musgrave was the Eagles' QB coach.
Not saying they're not related, and definitely NOT a fan of Musgrave, but the Iggles OL was in shambles the first half of the season. They went from being a top unit to a bottom one until late in the year when health and continuity was reestablished. I'm fairly certain that played a huge role in Foles' regression.

What playmaker do they attack on open market can they really go into the season without a top notch rb or wr again?

@caplannfl: #Raiders to hire former #Bills QBs coach Todd Downing as their QBs coach, league source said. He also interviewed with Bucs and Browns.

@caplannfl: #Raiders to hire former #Bills QBs coach Todd Downing as their QBs coach, league source said. He also interviewed with Bucs and Browns.
And apparently it's official.

Yeesh, who looks at EJ Manuel's QB coach and think "That's what I want for the future of my franchise?"

So far I have seen absolutely zero for Raider fans to get excited about with the assembly of this coaching staff. Way to take a more proactive role in the franchise Opie.

What playmaker do they attack on open market can they really go into the season without a top notch rb or wr again?
They can go after whatever playmakers they want, the real question is what playmakers actually want to play for the Raiders?

Users who are viewing this thread