What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 STOCK CONTEST- For guderian;RESULTS IN POST 379 (1 Viewer)

Okay so I'll track UG unofficially in honor of Guderian - I'm sure that it will outperform my actual pick anyway.

My official pick is long on GTAT.

Farted around and looked for a stock that could get sudden big growth - Apple is a customer for its artificial sapphire glass and it plays in solar as well. It has a ridiculous beta of 3.1 as well which probably is good for this contest (though Ford's 2.2 didn't really help me last year).

Again S&P 1970 b/c I was born then.

I'll have a just for fun short in a little while.

-QG

For the record I also considered ABC (as a possible Obamacare winning stock and because it would be easy enough for me to remember it).

I like to pick a loser (and I'm pretty good at it it seems so my unofficial short for this year would be MSO - not the slam dunk that BGP was a couple years ago but close)

-QG

SolarCity (SCTY)

Wanted to short Tesla, but I'll go long on another Musk play.
I shorted them because I think they're way over-valued at the moment. One little flea being exposed could send that stock plummeting to a much more realistic valuation. Long term (longer than a year obviously), I think Tesla will do quite well. But its not worth 130 times their P/E imo.

PLUG was picked by identikit a couple of days ago.Assumed No Name was kidding. If not, pls pick another.

Last edited by a moderator:
FireEye (FEYE) – Recently-public cyber security firm can identify “zero day” (previously unknown) threats that signature-based technologies are unable to detect.

S&P- 2020
Love FEYE long term. Just think FUEL is positioned to make its run earlier.
Very interesting. I'm going to research these companies. Thanks.
Looks like FEYE threw a wrench in my idea 3 days into the year. Acquiring Mandiant nearly doubles their '14 revenue and growth curve.

These cash rich recent IPOs can just simply acquire growth with their 'inflated' stock and cash pile. Worked well for DDD so far...

Why not.

Stock = GILD

S&P = 2001

Health-care stocks took off in 2013, largely due to anticipation of the Affordable Care Act (a.k.a. Obamacare) opening up new "customers" to many health-care providers.

But I remain convinced the growth in this sector is not just about Obamacare. This is about demographics in the West fueling demand, about emerging markets getting access to advanced medicine and about the stable nature of this industry in any economic environment.

In the U.S., the numbers are clear and well known -- the most common being the fact that there are 45 million Americans age 65 or older now, and the Census Bureau estimates that figure will rise to 77 million by 2035. Older folks need more care, and more care means more demand for health care.

In emerging markets, there is huge upside for health-care spending as economies gain momentum. Consider that the U.S. spends almost 18% of its GDP on health care, and that Germany and France spend around 11%, according to the World Bank. Now consider China spends about 5% and India about 4%. These countries need to double their health care spending to be on par with the West -- and that's based on current GDP to boot.

And hey, if you're interested in Obamacare, consider the multiple hangups with this rollout -- including the fact that penalties for forgoing insurance will be delayed. That could mean the full pop from this legislation is a bit delayed, too.

Throw in the fact that health-care stocks are generally recession-proof and you have a good case to keep a strong foothold in this sector for both growth and stability in the New Year.

With that I will pick one of the premier players in the high growth Large Cap biotech space in Gilead Sciences. Although the stock rose just shy of 101% over the last 52 weeks....it is trading at a forward PE in my estimates of 12......a value in this type of space. I expect with several key drugs about to roll out this year and be approved the stock to have another 100% run.

Looks like FEYE threw a wrench in my idea 3 days into the year. Acquiring Mandiant nearly doubles their '14 revenue and growth curve.

These cash rich recent IPOs can just simply acquire growth with their 'inflated' stock and cash pile. Worked well for DDD so far...
DeWalt is a deal maker."Over the course of his career DeWalt has helped build companies from startup (Eventus, Quest) to midsize (Documentum, Segue) to some of the largest (Oracle, EMC). A true expert in acquisitions, he led the sale of McAfee, Documentum, and Eventus, has been acquired three times, and has acquired more than 50 companies over the course of his career."

I am still giddy that I got some at 41.22 yesterday afternoon.. Just dumb luck.

ETA- Here is the webcast on the deal and guidance raise..

http://www.media-server.com/m/p/46ntkh8x

I came in second to last place in 2013, why not shoot for the fences with a short of Netflix in 2014? and i'll say S&P hits 2001 at year end.

pecorino said:
I came in second to last place in 2013, why not shoot for the fences with a short of Netflix in 2014? and i'll say S&P hits 2001 at year end.
Might be a winner. A stock begging to be shorted to death. So overvalued it is disgusting......Tesla too.

I'll take a chance with a stock i've been building into since novermber or thereabouts. ONVO. Organovo holdings. S&P 1925.

I'll take a chance with a stock i've been building into since novermber or thereabouts. ONVO. Organovo holdings. S&P 1925.
:lmao:

I just came in to change my pick to ONVO. damn.

I rode it for their nice run last year. Looking to get back in.

Screw it - I love music. Can I take SIRI?
If this happens, you'll be capped at the value of a share at time of transaction. You have until Tues if you want to switch stocks.

4:38 pm Sirius XM Radio: Liberty Media (LMCA) announces proposal to make Sirius XM Holdings a wholly owned subsidiary of Liberty (stock halted) (SIRI) : Liberty Media Corporation (LMCA) announced that it has made a proposal to Sirius XM Holdings (SIRI) that outlines the terms by which Sirius public shareholders would become shareholders of Liberty in a tax-free transaction in which each share of Sirius common stock would be converted into 0.0760 of a new share of Liberty Series C common stock

If this happens, you'll be capped at the value of a share at time of transaction. You have until Tues if you want to switch stocks.

4:38 pm Sirius XM Radio: Liberty Media (LMCA) announces proposal to make Sirius XM Holdings a wholly owned subsidiary of Liberty (stock halted) (SIRI) : Liberty Media Corporation (LMCA) announced that it has made a proposal to Sirius XM Holdings (SIRI) that outlines the terms by which Sirius public shareholders would become shareholders of Liberty in a tax-free transaction in which each share of Sirius common stock would be converted into 0.0760 of a new share of Liberty Series C common stock
It may be possible that you know how little of what you said I actually understand, but I doubt it ;)

Let me poke around a bit - thanks.

I have some shares in SIRI. The offer is for $3.68/share. It closed today at $3.57 and is up 5% in AH. ($3.75) Anyone know what to expect on Monday?

Should I be looking to cash out?

Ugh, so Cramer is bullish on GTAT which makes me automatically feel like I'm gonna lose.

And one of my unofficial picks from last year YGE is up from about 5.00 to 6.50 or so already :bag:

-QG

Johnson & Johnson - JNJ - $91.85

S&P 500 - 1,831

All sectors (Consumer Products, Pharm, Medical Devices) have taken their respective lumps, and are past paying for it. Lots of good stuff in the pipeline for Pharm and Medical Devices, Consumer getting brands back on the shelf finally after all of the recall issues.

For the record UG was at 28.17 at the end of last year. Gonna track that one as well even though I changed.

-QG

I am the blind monkey throwing darts. I pulled up a list of stocks, clicked to page 7, and selected:

Stone Energy Corporation (SGY).

I know absolutely nothing about this stock.

Let's see how the monkey does against the general population.

I am the blind monkey throwing darts. I pulled up a list of stocks, clicked to page 7, and selected:

Stone Energy Corporation (SGY).

I know absolutely nothing about this stock.

Let's see how the monkey does against the general population.
Are you calling us the general population? :)

Actually looks like a good stock.

RIBT - Rice Bran Technologies
Interesting niche. What happened to it last month to go fro 13 to <5?

is it too late to join?

if not, I'll take Stratasys LTD (SSYS). Price as of 12/31 was 134.70 and price now is 130.74 (assume you'll use 134.70).

S&P - 2014

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread