What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

10 team leagues (1 Viewer)

One

Not Allowed In Mexico
Guys at my new office have invited me into the 10 man work league. I've accepted the invite and started looking at past rosters and My Gawd!, every team is stacked. It's been so long since I've done a 10 teamer (maybe 10 years) and my 3 longest running redraft leagues are 14 and 16 teamers, so I'm pretty sure none of the strategies I'm used to will matter. (I have the 6 pick) I'm wondering stuff like...

Is it safe just to wait on RB?

Since half the league will have an elite QB, should I just wait? or is it important to take a top 3-5??

Since the skilled player pool will barely extend past the top 100, will everyone have good WRs?

Take TE early??

ect...

10 teamer Sharks & Hawks unite. Any advice?

Basic rules..

(PPR)

QB

RB

RB

WR

WR

TE

FLEX

Most every team will be good barring someone using last years cheat sheets or something like that. IMO, 10 team leagues are almost always determined by injury and rules. You can't control the first but can control the last. Make sure you know the rules (are qb rushing touchdowns worth extra? What about rb receiving touchdowns?). Can you trade in season? If so, draft bpa for flexibility down the line. Depending on scoring and starting lineup requirements it might be good to grab a top qb or good to wait. The big thing is to not do anything dumb on draft day and pray for good health.

Biggest thing is to pay attention to waiver wire and make moves. People tend to have good teams and don't bother making upgrades. I stole several solid players from the waiver last year (Jordy Nelson, Victor Cruz, etc.).

VBD still works. I am in an 8 teamer but with a 2RB/2WR/2TE/2FLEX non-ppr, it is still very RB heavy....especially with 1pt per 15yds for receiving and 1/10 for rushing. Abraham was right....the rules will dictate your strategy, along with VBD. Studs are even more valuable IMHO though. I usually have gone RB/RB/WR/QB unless one of the top 3 QBs are available in round 3 AND you expect crazy passing like last year. GL

Very interesting points.

It sounds like I'll just be going BPA. This is gonna be weird drafting studs into the mid-late rounds.

Thanks!

10 teamers are all about studs. Since each team will be "stacked", maybe you do a 2 or even 3 for 1 trade of very solid guys (the F Jax, V Jax, Wallace, type of guys) to get another weekly starting stud.

I just did my 10 team redraft draft yesterday and picked 6th, which I hated as I knew the top 3 RBs, Calvin and Rodgers would all go...which they did. Since the league has 6 point passing TDs AND 1 point per completion, I had to go with Brees 6th overall to ensure I had a top QB. That's just one example of knowing your league rules and applying strategy around them. Another thing our league has is 1 point for every 20 return yards, which is HUGE. A guy like Percy Harvin in that system (assuming 1,000 receiving and 1,000 return yards) could have just as many yardage based points as a Calvin Johnson.

I'll second the waiver wire. If there aren't any restrictions to its usage, try to use it as a personal practice squad. Also rent a defense becomes paramount in this type of setup.

How deep are the benches? It makes a difference

For your lineup allotments force yourself to take RBs early and wait on your WR2. I also like to draft a tier 2-3 QB + TE in the mid rounds and not draft a QB2 or TE2 or possibly even a DEF or K if your league allows it. Bench spots are very valuable in a league like this.

I'd do a couple of 10 team mocks on FF calculator. It'll give you an idea of how things may go anyway.

Like a couple guys said, the WW will be key, especially if you have short benches. In my experienc in 10 teamers, there are always gems on the WW.

Other than that, just take the draft as it unfolds. I'm assuming you've never played with any of these guys, so you wont know tendencies. Just be prepared for puzzling moves, and act accordingly.

WW is very important in 10 team leagues. Best strategy is to acquire as many studs as possible and leave a few spaces on the bench that can be dropped easily.

Users who are viewing this thread