What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Gabriel Davis, JAC (1 Viewer)

Gabe Davis plans to test free agency, but is open to staying in Buffalo​

What's the market for a WR that disappears for 75% of games?
He'll get handsomely paid by some team that is enamored with his occasional explosiveness - that's just the way it is for the WR market. If MVS and Lazard can get a boat load of money, I'm sure Davis will too.

Gabe Davis plans to test free agency, but is open to staying in Buffalo​

What's the market for a WR that disappears for 75% of games?
Suspect NFL teams will be smart enough to run tape and see disappearing is not entirely on the WR. He can't throw himself the ball when he's open. Will be thrilled if he leaves Buffalo. I'm not sure I'd even want Diggs at this point.

He just needs more targets. If he lands on the right team, a team in need of WRs, there's a few out there that could use a pop even it come and goes but I really feel that's the job of the QB, to keep him involved more often.

Good luck to him, anxious to see who would be willing to sign him and what role.

He just needs more targets. If he lands on the right team, a team in need of WRs, there's a few out there that could use a pop even it come and goes but I really feel that's the job of the QB, to keep him involved more often.

Good luck to him, anxious to see who would be willing to sign him and what role.
It's Davis' job to get separation and get open, something he's had trouble doing. Might explain the lack of targets. He excels as a blocker and stretching the field as a deep threat, but doesn't profile as a high volume receiver. He'd be a good fit for a team like Miami as their 3rd wideout.

When I'm guessing a FA fit I mainly look at need, available money and connections between the player and coaching staff/front office.

Cleveland checks 2 of those 3 boxes, the financials could be an issue.

It's Davis' job to get separation and get open, something he's had trouble doing. Might explain the lack of targets. He excels as a blocker and stretching the field as a deep threat, but doesn't profile as a high volume receiver. He'd be a good fit for a team like Miami as their 3rd wideout.
They could also be a little more creative with him. It would be nice to see him run some crossing routes, hitch routes, or get a little work in the run game on sweeps.

From what I’ve seen it’s usually go-routes, 9-routes, 15-20 yard out routes, post routes, the occasional fade.

Not saying he’d excel at those other things, - just saying I’d like to see if he’s more productive when used with a wider variety of plays.

He’s certainly had bouts of extreme productivity when targeted more heavily. He’s also had games with 3 or fewer targets where he does nothing but block all game.

And he’s had some bad drops here and there along the way. It’s a mixed bag.

It’s hard to put a finger on what’s really going on there. The Bills changed their entire offense mid-stream last year so it’s not like they were a well-oiled machine with Davis gumming up the works.

A change of scenery would probably benefit Davis. It’ll be interesting to see where he ends up, and how that changes his production, or lack thereof

Last edited:
Cleveland checks 2 of those 3 boxes, the financials could be an issue.
That would be a potentially nice fit behind AC. Bell started coming on a little & you can see there’s talent there, but Davis would be an immediate upgrade over the Goodwin/Tillman/Grant/etc group.

Who is going to pay him and what would the contract look like? I cannot imagine anyone backing up the truck for his unproven consistency. He would be a great replacement for MVS in KC but I doubt they would invest as much as what would be needed. Nobody should be paying him as a number one that is for sure. It will be interesting to see where he lands and what that contract ultimately looks like.

Who is going to pay him and what would the contract look like? I cannot imagine anyone backing up the truck for his unproven consistency. He would be a great replacement for MVS in KC but I doubt they would invest as much as what would be needed. Nobody should be paying him as a number one that is for sure. It will be interesting to see where he lands and what that contract ultimately looks like.
There’s zero chance he commands WR1 money, and I seriously doubt any team or his own agent will be considering him for that.

But he could be a solid WR2. His blocking, while the ire of the FF community, is a significant asset to a team that likes to run like CLE.

Compared to some of the other names out there this year he’s likely pretty affordable.

One interesting landing spot could be SF, in the event that Aiyuk is moved. He’d certainly fit with the run heavy offense, and they’ve been trying to find a true deep threat to take the top off a defense for years.

One year prove it deal in KC?
I mentioned that as a potential landing spot in the FA topic.

It really seems like a nice fit. They did it with Toney. Davis, for all his warts is a smarter player, good team guy, and can be a legit vertical threat they lack.

And if that happens I’m likely selling everywhere on what should be a big value boost similar to what Toney experienced

The Athletic’s Joe Buscaglia believes multiple factors “may just push (impending free agent Gabe Davis) out of Buffalo this offseason.”

Those factors are Davis’ “on-field inconsistency” and a contract Buscaglia believes could better the $11 million per season Jakobi Meyers landed last spring. Buscaglia emphasizes the Bills still love Davis’ “ability on the field, the role he played over the last two years and how hard he works every offseason.” It’s just going to be difficult to make him a priority considering their salary cap and internal free agent situations. For his part, Davis recently posted something of a Bills farewell on social media. Buscaglia believes Davis could return if his market is colder than expected, but that it’s not the most likely outcome.

If you don’t want to watch the full goodbye video, watch the last minute or so where he runs through his stats.

The video is both a goodbye AND a tool for his agent to get him a better deal 😂

Interesting to see the massive productivity he had versus number of targets over the last four years.

My new nickname for Davis is Skittles. I reserve the right to say that because he's been on my bench the last couple of years. Skittles because that's what you could get for him in a trade.

Jaguars agreed to terms with WR Gabe Davis, formerly of the Bills, on a three-year, $39 million contract.
The Athletic’s Dianna Russini reports another $11 million is available through incentives. Let’s go ahead and declare this the official start of free agency. Expected to be priced out of the Bills’ price range, Davis’ Jags arrival should also now price Calvin Ridley out of the Jags’ going-forward plans. Originally beloved by fantasy managers, Davis now appears more beloved by NFL front offices for his supposed field-stretching ability. He is going from one of the NFL’s best deep passers in Josh Allen to one of its most inconsistent in Trevor Lawrence. Davis commands cushion but creates little separation. One month shy of his 25th birthday, it’s almost impossible to believe Lawrence will unlock any missing levels to Davis’ game. He will probably struggle for WR3 value in 2024.

I'm in on Gabe Davis. Jaguars LOVE to run the ball way more than Buffalo and this guys skillset thrives off playaction.

You won't be seeing this cat in the slot which leaves Kirk's role untouched. I'll take G Davis as my WR3/4. As long as he's still got those burners he's good for production.

You won't be seeing this cat in the slot which leaves Kirk's role untouched. I'll take G Davis as my WR3/4. As long as he's still got those burners he's good for production.
If you want a WR 3/4 who tops out about 750/4, he’s your guy. His situation was optimal in Buffalo and he didn’t perform, other than the occasional big game when he was on your bench because he had done virtually nothing the previous 2-3 games. 4th option at best after Kirk, Engram and ETN. Jones in the mix too. Lawrence is good but not elite.

If you want a WR 3/4 who tops out about 750/4, he’s your guy. His situation was optimal in Buffalo and he didn’t perform, other than the occasional big game when he was on your bench because he had done virtually nothing the previous 2-3 games. 4th option at best after Kirk, Engram and ETN. Jones in the mix too. Lawrence is good but not elite.
So half the TDs he scored in prior years is what he "tops out" at?

In that offense, yeah.

You could be right! But people thought Engram was cashed until he showed up in Jacksonville as well. I just don't see Kirk as "the guy" and Davis is the only guy on that team capable of blowing the lid off defenses.

He's not going to turn into a possession guy, right? But Lawrence does throw a pretty deep ball. I trust the process here, Diggs was a target whore of which Kirk is not.

Could be wrong! Which as WR3/4 you can be wrong without much consequence. I think he's just as talented as Kirk, just a different type of WR.

You could be right! But people thought Engram was cashed until he showed up in Jacksonville as well. I just don't see Kirk as "the guy" and Davis is the only guy on that team capable of blowing the lid off defenses.

He's not going to turn into a possession guy, right? But Lawrence does throw a pretty deep ball. I trust the process here, Diggs was a target whore of which Kirk is not.

Could be wrong! Which as WR3/4 you can be wrong without much consequence. I think he's just as talented as Kirk, just a different type of WR.
Maybe I guess. Just don’t see him being someone to target as a 3/4, especially in full PPR.

Kirk is actually really good and will be a target whore this year IMO.

Good luck though. Nothing personal against Davis.

In that offense, yeah.
Interesting take. I love this landing spot as a Davis believer, and I did not like Buffalo O. Go talk to a Diggs owner about how awesome Buffalo O is for WRs.

In that offense, yeah.
Interesting take. I love this landing spot as a Davis believer, and I did not like Buffalo O. Go talk to a Diggs owner about how awesome Buffalo O is for WRs.

In that offense, yeah.
I am a Diggs owner 😎

I know it’s vogue to complain about him these days but 100 plus catches and 1200-1500 years every year. I’ll take that.

Hope Davis does well. Seems like a good dude and a team player. Just don’t see him as a viable #3 and a so so #4.

Good move for the Jags. Not ideal for Davis fantasy, but not terrible. He's a WR 3/4
Agreed. WR3 with occasional WR2 bursts, WR4 floors.

Should be decent enough to plug into flex slot every week with the occasional boom game. Probably TD dependent, bur slightly less so than in BUF.

Doesn’t have a RZ vulture QB, so his size could be useful in that part of the field.

Good move for the Jags. Not ideal for Davis fantasy, but not terrible. He's a WR 3/4

Should be decent enough to plug into flex slot every week with the occasional boom game. Probably TD dependent, bur slightly less so than in BUF.

Doesn’t have a RZ vulture QB, so his size could be useful in that part of the field.

Let's unpack this further. He'll never be a 1,000 yard receiver. He relies too much on the home run for that, but he does have a TD upside that other players who catch a ton of passes don't.

He could end up with 10+ touchdowns and that's where his value will come from. The bottom line is he'll see more relevant targets than he did in Buffalo.

Agree that he's pretty much pointless in 1PPR and would be on my DND list. But in 0.5 PPR I'll take his bomb TDs over a guy like Josh Downs.

In that offense, yeah.

In that offense, yeah.
I am a Diggs owner 😎

I know it’s vogue to complain about him these days but 100 plus catches and 1200-1500 years every year. I’ll take that.

Hope Davis does well. Seems like a good dude and a team player. Just don’t see him as a viable #3 and a so so #4.
Don't get me wrong... time will tell. As a Diggs owner you have to acknowledge that passing offense went into reverse in 2023. Down the stretch, it became TE/running heavy and very little for any WR. As you know, in the final 11 NFL weeks Diggs had just two games where he exceeded 80 yards (87, 86). Most were well below that (58, 70, 34, 27, 74, 24, 48, 29, 28). When a WR1 gets those totals, it speaks volumes and hard to judge the performance of anyone getting leftovers. In fairness, people could say the same about the Jags passing attack in 2023. I've always liked Gabe's talent though, and I believe his ceiling is yet to be tapped.

Let's unpack this further. He'll never be a 1,000 yard receiver. He relies too much on the home run for that, but he does have a TD upside that other players who catch a ton of passes don't.

He could end up with 10+ touchdowns and that's where his value will come from. The bottom line is he'll see more relevant targets than he did in Buffalo.

Agree that he's pretty much pointless in 1PPR and would be on my DND list. But in 0.5 PPR I'll take his bomb TDs over a guy like Josh Downs.
We should also take care to recognize that these are two different teams with vastly different QBs. TLaw moves the sticks in the air, while Allen often takes off running.

There could be a little more in the reception column.

He’s never gonna be a Tim Brown, but there’s a little chicken & the egg here where BUF wasn’t super creative with him.

Depending what else JAX does, 1000 yards might not be out of the realm of possibility.

In that offense, yeah.

In that offense, yeah.
I am a Diggs owner 😎

Don't get me wrong... time will tell. As a Diggs owner you have to acknowledge that passing offense went into reverse in 2023. Down the stretch, it became TE/running heavy and very little for any WR. As you know, in the final 11 NFL weeks Diggs had just two games where he exceeded 80 yards (87, 86). Most were well below that (58, 70, 34, 27, 74, 24, 48, 29, 28). When a WR1 gets those totals, it speaks volumes and hard to judge the performance of anyone getting leftovers. In fairness, people could say the same about the Jags passing attack in 2023. I've always liked Gabe's talent though, and I believe his ceiling is yet to be tapped.
Trust me, I’m aware Diggs was pretty bad the 2nd half of season. But I think it can be fixed. Don’t think it was a sudden talent drop off on Diggs part. But that’s a separate discussion that was beat to death on the Diggs thread a couple months back.

Davis kind of took a backseat to Shakir the 2nd half of the season. There had to be a reason for that. I doubt it was personal.

We shall see I guess but I’m not excited about the move. Obviously

In that offense, yeah.

In that offense, yeah.
I am a Diggs owner 😎

Trust me, I’m aware Diggs was pretty bad the 2nd half of season. But I think it can be fixed. Don’t think it was a sudden talent drop off on Diggs part. But that’s a separate discussion that was beat to death on the Diggs thread a couple months back.

Davis kind of took a backseat to Shakir the 2nd half of the season. There had to be a reason for that. I doubt it was personal.

I'd try selling Diggs. The guy is 30 and a constant locker room cancer. Wait until his skills start to decline and he blames other people for this lack of separation.

Better to be a year early than late and he turns 31 in November. I refuse to draft Diggs. I want whatever WR they draft in the first two rounds this season.

In that offense, yeah.

In that offense, yeah.
I am a Diggs owner 😎

I'd try selling Diggs. The guy is 30 and a constant locker room cancer. Wait until his skills start to decline and he blames other people for this lack of separation.

Better to be a year early than late and he turns 31 in November. I refuse to draft Diggs. I want whatever WR they draft in the first two rounds this season.
Nah. Have gone back to back and Diggs and Keenan will probably die on my team, which I’m fine with. Have picks 3, 9 and 13 and plan on taking 3 WRs to get young again. Good year to do that.

Of course if someone offered a decent haul, that could change.

Users who are viewing this thread