What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Antonio Gibson, NE (5 Viewers)

i love him. cat's outta the bag i think but not being reflected in drafts. still super cheap in PPRs. time to maybe bump up a round or two as prime draft time kicks in after this weekend
Agreed.
Ugh, you guys killed me with this hype train.

Droppable.
Killed myself too. You think anyone’s happy about it?

At the end of the day we all make our own choices, friend. Blaming us for your poor decision is bad form.

Put your big boy pants on and think for yourself, how about that?
Fair enough, it is my fault for reading/believing the hype. But damn, did you guys sound confident on him being a great value this year lol Rough.

i love him. cat's outta the bag i think but not being reflected in drafts. still super cheap in PPRs. time to maybe bump up a round or two as prime draft time kicks in after this weekend
Agreed.
Ugh, you guys killed me with this hype train.

Droppable.
Killed myself too. You think anyone’s happy about it?

At the end of the day we all make our own choices, friend. Blaming us for your poor decision is bad form.

Put your big boy pants on and think for yourself, how about that?
Fair enough, it is my fault for reading/believing the hype. But damn, did you guys sound confident on him being a great value this year lol Rough.
He was a great value.

Right up until the games started and he fumbled away his shot at relevance.I have him in 3 redraft leagues. One where I went zero RB.
:wall:

Also no one remembers my banging the table about Nico Collins being an amazing value all off-season.

30+ today.

FF do be like that.
Are you wanking your chain about another player? In a thread about a Gibson?

That’s weird dude. Be better.
Just commenting on the irony, of getting killed on Gibson, but sure, I’ll own it. Sprained my wrist a little patting myself so imma go ice it. brb

He had a very nice catch and run and ran smart & hard for a late first down.
That’s what I was referring to as it happened. Kept this game alive - big play at a big time. Hard nosed running.

Yes, it was the Robinson show. Trust is earned. That’s why I said he left the door cracked with that play.

Would you drop him for Hunt?
I don't think I would, if you're plug & punt at RB right now & like me you missed on Ford, I added Tony Jones. I watched that game the other night, neither OL could establish much of anything. That Saints DEF looked very good, meaning perhaps they hang around, the Packers have given up some on the ground. If Jones doesn't get scripted out perhaps he provides complimentary scoring for owners?

There's also the bum, Trey Sermon. We're all going to diss him but he's never unemployed for very long. That it's the Colts who picked him up is entirely due to Shane Steichen having been the OC in Philly. Not a STer, so if he's activated it's with a fair chance he could see some run.

In my short bench 12 team PPR league, Gibson was dropped, which is not terribly surprising. The way RBs are dropping like flies, I picked him up as a bench stash. He’ll almost definitely need an injury to BRobJr to have fantasy value, but if that were to happen, he’d be an instant RB2. The talent is there, he just needs the opportunity.

I am almost positive Gibson is going to have a role and chances to shine this year. I think its crazy to drop him. He's proven he's capable of being a duel threat and put up big numbers, IF given the touches. I think he's trying to work his way more into the offense after that slow start.

I was definitely wrong about Brian Robinson. Not a JAG.
I dunno. He had a good game. Jury’s still out on whether he’s JAG or not.

IIRC Waldman still sees his YPC as JAG-ish.

But he did look really good week 2.
I'm surprised that Waldman would be focused on YPC, but maybe there's other info out there that we're not seeing. In any case, Robinson may not be the most efficient or talented RB, but it doesn't seem he's doing anything to make the coaching staff move away from him.

I'm surprised that Waldman would be focused on YPC, but maybe there's other info out there that we're not seeing. In any case, Robinson may not be the most efficient or talented RB, but it doesn't seem he's doing anything to make the coaching staff move away from him.
It was on a casual discussion with another dude - I forget which. I had a head cold this week and was just watching various YT stuff. Came on after a breakdown of Howell’s game (which was really impressive) - basically saying Gibson was a hold, BRob averaged 3.x per carry, kind of a plodder.

To be fair I can’t recall if it was Waldman or the dude he was doing the call with, but I went back and watched some of the BRob game tape and I didn’t disagree with them. Robinson did some things well, others not as good.

I think Gibson gets some work this year. If he was dropped anywhere I’d think he’s worth a pickup if one has bench room to stash him.

It was on a casual discussion with another dude - I forget which. I had a head cold this week and was just watching various YT stuff. Came on after a breakdown of Howell’s game (which was really impressive) - basically saying Gibson was a hold, BRob averaged 3.x per carry, kind of a plodder.

To be fair I can’t recall if it was Waldman or the dude he was doing the call with, but I went back and watched some of the BRob game tape and I didn’t disagree with them. Robinson did some things well, others not as good.

I think Gibson gets some work this year. If he was dropped anywhere I’d think he’s worth a pickup if one has bench room to stash him.
That’s fair. I think we fantasy guys tend to think we know what's best for a team, but we have no clue. What seems to be universal is that coaches hate when players put the ball on the ground, which is what Gibson obviously did early in game 1. Hopefully he can work himself out of the doghouse and get an opportunity to again show some of the explosiveness that can likely be an asset in this offense.

Hopefully he can work himself out of the doghouse and get an opportunity to again show some of the explosiveness that can likely be an asset in this offense.
I do believe that long reception helped his cause - it was at an important part of the game, and Gibson made a big play at a big time.

We’ll see if he can earn more trust moving forward. It’s only been 2 games & there’s a lot of football left to play.

No doubt Gibson has been an epic disappointment so far, but it’s not like the Commanders dropped him.

That’s fair. I think we fantasy guys tend to think we know what's best for a team, but we have no clue. What seems to be universal is that coaches hate when players put the ball on the ground, which is what Gibson obviously did early in game 1. Hopefully he can work himself out of the doghouse and get an opportunity to again show some of the explosiveness that can likely be an asset in this offense.
It has to be more than the one fumble. You don't just effectively bench a reasonably talented guy for two games after one fumble.

I suspect ball security has been an issue during practice too.

Gibson had a nice catch & run last week. A 2nd & 14 to start the 4th, trailing Denver. Screen play that wasn't anticipated nor well diagnosed by the defense. Robinson had a couple of those himself. Below is every catch & carry from week 2. On two occasions Robinson was handed the ball & immediately devoured. Remove those 8 or 9 lost yards & he had more like a 16 for 96yd day. Which is 6yds a pop! Important to note, a lot of those were of the quick hitter variety. Notice on a number of runs, inside pulling of OL.

But little in the way of motion & misdirection in the backfield. A lot of show it & run it up inside. Plus, not one of those did they set Robinson deep & bring him. Those quick hitters are tough, Howell is in that semi-gun, the ball is snapped & every defender in the box explodes off the LOS. But what's Robinson doing? Yeah, he's standing there flat-footed waiting for Howell to stick the thing into his belly. Watch those rips Breece Hall had vs this defense & every one of those were with him set in deep-I formation. Now, a few his bigs plays were receptions.

I'm not trying to compare Robinson with the elusiveness of Hall. But what he could bring more of on those runs is power. But it's negated by design. The upside is that Robinson isn't being used like a hammer, which is a good thing. Given how he was utilized, I felt Robinson had a very good game last week.

Last edited:

It has to be more than the one fumble. You don't just effectively bench a reasonably talented guy for two games after one fumble.

I suspect ball security has been an issue during practice too.
He's had ball control issues in the past too, which put him in the doghouse. This might just be a continuation of Rivera's disenchantment with him.

Robinson is a LONG ways from a JAG. That said, Washington has a below average OL, which as we all know, can really hamper a RB’s production. YPC is a notoriously overrated metric to use as an evaluation tool.

BRob is simply a better natural runner & has instincts Gibson will never have. I was once high on Gibby, myself, but sometimes players don’t rise up to expectations. Gibson has enough raw talent to be effective in spurts, but the quality long-term dynasty asset window has closed, IMO.

This might just be a continuation of Rivera's disenchantment with him.
Yeah - one of the league leaders IIRC
Yes, he had 6 fumbles on 300 touches in 2021. He has 2 fumbles on his subsequent 204 touches and 3 fumbles 410 other touches outside on 2021.

9 fumbles on 710 career touches doesn't seem prohibitively bad. It's not great but not a killer either.

I don't care what anyone says, his most recent fumble he took a right cross square to the chin. Looked exactly like a "push the button" shot in boxing.

Antonio Gibson rushed two times for 17 yards and caught 3-of-5 targets for seven yards while also fumbling the ball in a Week 3 loss to the Bills.

The fumble was a game-killer for the Commanders. After stopping the Bills on a fourth down in Washington territory at the start of the fourth quarter, Gibson caught a dump off and tried to spin and juke out of contact repeatedly before being stripped in the backfield. Josh Allen would score a touchdown just a few plays later to put Buffalo up by three scores. Gibson did have one nice run on the day, but he was thoroughly outplayed by Brian Robinson, which is a concern since games when Washington is trailing were supposed to provide Gibson with his most positive gamescript.

- Rotoworld
yeah we are starting to approach Drop City now, especially with Curtis Samuel playing more snaps and eating into the gadget role. He cannot keep fumbling like this...

Dude has been donezo. He’s not the problem but he will be the scapegoat. Commanders finally exposed today and Sam Howell has a lot of growing up to do and fast

He’s not the problem but he will be the scapegoat.
Wow, what to expect going forward, I have no idea, none! But I'm pretty certain the hole Gibson is in, he dug himself! The analyst sounds like Louis Riddick, but I don't think it's him: "Spinning is great, once. But as soon you start to get into traffic that ball needs to go into protection mode." The replay below doesn't provide us a good look, but it appears worse than the last one, imo. Some owners were holding because of how thin their options are at RB. If you're hurting at RB like me, perhaps tomorrow you get the player you can & work a deal for a RB? Another possibility with Gibson is they move or cut him outright.

Anyone rolling Gibson tonight? I have a few spots where I could play him, once over M Sanders. I have watched all of the Bears games and their run D is next level bad. It’s one of the reasons I am little skeptical of what McLaughlin was able to do last Sunday. Thursday night games often bring more of a split in RB touches due to the short break.

Anyone having positive vibes about Gibson tonight?

Last edited:
Interesting to see how many of us liked Gibson in the Best/Worst takes for 2023. Looking into week 11 and beyond and he looks to be a popular pickup down the stretch. At least for Giants?

Interesting to see how many of us liked Gibson in the Best/Worst takes for 2023. Looking into week 11 and beyond and he looks to be a popular pickup down the stretch. At least for Giants?
I didn’t see the games but I’d really like to know if his recent uptick in production looks like it’s by design, or if it’s just a lucky couple of weeks that rolled his way.

I didn’t see the games but I’d really like to know if his recent uptick in production looks like it’s by design, or if it’s just a lucky couple of weeks that rolled his way.
He's been making some crucial plays. I still put it at 50/50 he has blackmail material on Rivera so I can't pretend to know if any of this is by design.

But he has looked good. Go figure.

He actually came through for me pretty big this weekend where I was a bit desperate.

Antonio Gibson (toe) did not practice Friday.

Gibson is likely out for Week 11 against the Giants after missing practice all week with a toe issue he picked up last week against the Seahawks. Brian Robinson, already the Commanders’ lead back, should see a hefty workload against a poor Giants rush defense. Look for Chris Rodriguez to mix in as a back who could see double digit touches in what should be positive game script for Washington.

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reports Commanders RB Antonio Gibson (toe) is a true game-time decision for a Thanksgiving game against the Cowboys.

Gibson missed Week 11 with a toe injury, getting in limited practices prior toe an upcoming Week 12 Thanksgiving showdown against the Cowboys. Brian Robinson’s receiving usage will take a hit if Gibson returns, but Gibson will first warm up on the field before a final decision is made on his game status.

Any thoughts on this guy headed into free agency? He was a hot item at one point in his career. Is he limited in skill or did Washington just not find a way to use him correctly? Seems like he would be a great McKinnon replacement in KC IMO.

Any thoughts on this guy headed into free agency? He was a hot item at one point in his career. Is he limited in skill or did Washington just not find a way to use him correctly? Seems like he would be a great McKinnon replacement in KC IMO.

He's a bit of an enigma in my eyes. In college he was a YAC WR. They used him not too dissimilarly to how SF uses Deebo from what I recall. I think he had some good moments in Washington, but it was very game-plan dependent. The fact that Washington rarely had a good outlet TE because Thomas was always hurt, and the fact that we were often playing from behind set him up for some good numbers in garbage time, but from what I actually saw, he's just a guy...His speed is there (4.4 40-yard), but his elusiveness isn't anything like McKinnon in my opinion. He's far more of power guy. I was never impressed by his instincts, which isn't surprising for a guy who only had a handful of carries in college. He's not small by any stretch. I think he's over 6', and over 220 lbs. so he's bigger than your average RB.

I think in the right system, he's a decent supplemental weapon - a Liviska Shenault / Cordarelle Patterson type guy who can come in and who defenses have to account for and plan for, but not a guy who is going to take a game over. Despite being a college WR, he's not really a true "3rd down" back, and I doubt his splits weight towards playing more on 3rd down.

I think for Washington, he's going to cost more $$ to keep than they will be willing to pay unless Kingsbury has some grand plan for him, but with that said, I think he's still a weapon, and could do well in the right system.

Users who are viewing this thread