What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Death/Loss Of Religion In America (1 Viewer)

Is the loss of religion in America a good, neutral, or bad thing?

• Good

Votes: 107 46.5%
  • Neutral

Votes: 59 25.7%
  • Bad

Votes: 64 27.8%

• Total voters
Meaning - I wouldn’t just sit back and give them my thoughts and hope they trust me and see things my way. If their eternal soul was on the line I would think I’d literally do anything possible to convince them.
What if you also believed that nothing you could do could convince them of the truth? That you could only give them the knowledge of the faith and your witness, but that there was another Person who was infinitely more qualified to convince them of the truth, who understood the far better than you ever could, and who cared about their salvation far more than you ever could?

What if your conscience told you that there was an appropriate degree of candor and a point of going too far? Wouldn’t you follow that conscience?

If there’s nothing one can do to convince someone then there’s no point to spreading the gospel - which believers are commanded to do.

I understand the point people are making but there’s no chance I would be able to just allow that to happen to someone I loved without doing everything I could. I think what we are disagreeing on is what works and what doesn’t - the problem is every person is different so it’s hard to know what will work and what won’t.

Meaning - I wouldn’t just sit back and give them my thoughts and hope they trust me and see things my way. If their eternal soul was on the line I would think I’d literally do anything possible to convince them.
What if you also believed that nothing you could do could convince them of the truth? That you could only give them the knowledge of the faith and your witness, but that there was another Person who was infinitely more qualified to convince them of the truth, who understood the far better than you ever could, and who cared about their salvation far more than you ever could?

What if your conscience told you that there was an appropriate degree of candor and a point of going too far? Wouldn’t you follow that conscience?

If there’s nothing one can do to convince someone then there’s no point to spreading the gospel - which believers are commanded to do.

I understand the point people are making but there’s no chance I would be able to just allow that to happen to someone I loved without doing everything I could. I think what we are disagreeing on is what works and what doesn’t - the problem is every person is different so it’s hard to know what will work and what won’t.
Respectfully, I think we're disagreeing on more than just utility of method. It would be closer to the mark to think of my viewpoint as that of someone introducing someone. Maybe a musician introducing a music teacher to someone who has never worked with them before. Even if (like in this exercise), it's the best music teacher who ever lived, all I can do is speak about my experience with him, speak to how he presents himself to the world at large, and do what I can to facilitate a meeting. It's up to the teacher and the musician to develop that relationship. I can have some influence on its outcome, buy the guitar, take the student to the lessons, etc., but ultimately the success of the relationship is not remotely up to me.

I just thought of another analogy which might be more relatable: Waze.

I spread the "good news" about Waze every chance I get. I use Waze in my car. It benefits me directly to have more people using Waze. I am a true believer, honestly believing that the more people used Waze the better off we all would be. I go out of my way to mention when Waze does the job better than other services - for example, last night, the fam and I went to our local arboretum (Dallas tyvm) for the illuminated Christmas thingy. It's about 30-40 minutes from my house, and despite my daughter leaving 10 minutes before us, because I use Waze and she uses Apple maps, we got there a couple minutes before her. (ding - Waze is awesome, everyone should use it).

That said, I can't convince someone else to use Waze. All I can do is encourage them to try it. Then it's up to them to do so, and Waze to do it's thing. I'm not bringing it up every time we drive anywhere, because there would be no point. In fact, it might even be counter productive.

Respectfully, I think we're disagreeing on more than just utility of method. It would be closer to the mark to think of my viewpoint as that of someone introducing someone. Maybe a musician introducing a music teacher to someone who has never worked with them before. Even if (like in this exercise), it's the best music teacher who ever lived, all I can do is speak about my experience with him, speak to how he presents himself to the world at large, and do what I can to facilitate a meeting. It's up to the teacher and the musician to develop that relationship. I can have some influence on its outcome, buy the guitar, take the student to the lessons, etc., but ultimately the success of the relationship is not remotely up to me.

Just to make sure I understand your analogy as it pertains to my comment - you see introducing someone to the music teacher as akin to spreading the gospel and then you leave it up to the teacher and student. If so, I like your analogy - however, I’m not sure I would have the mentality to leave it alone though.

Some of the saddest splits I've seen between people who care deeply for each other have come from the Christian sincerely, earnestly, and respectfully witnessing to the atheist or agnostic. A couple of holiday bruhahas come to mind. It can be the most sensitive topic. As certain as believers are, unbelievers often are too. They've also heard it all before. They might be armed with many reasons why they don't believe: The horrors of religion in history, the evidence from science, the hypocrisies mentioned here, examples from the bible that make this idea of god seem evil and insane... so much more. When a non-believer realizes you think he/she is going to hell, it can get emotional.

Sometimes I try to imagine what the world would be like if we took all the resources (money, time, effort, etc...) that's been put into religion and instead spent it on education. Would we be populating Mars? Living in other galaxies? Wiped out because we made terrible weapons and some nut destroyed us all?

I just thought of another analogy which might be more relatable: Waze.

I spread the "good news" about Waze every chance I get. I use Waze in my car. It benefits me directly to have more people using Waze. I am a true believer, honestly believing that the more people used Waze the better off we all would be. I go out of my way to mention when Waze does the job better than other services - for example, last night, the fam and I went to our local arboretum (Dallas tyvm) for the illuminated Christmas thingy. It's about 30-40 minutes from my house, and despite my daughter leaving 10 minutes before us, because I use Waze and she uses Apple maps, we got there a couple minutes before her. (ding - Waze is awesome, everyone should use it).

That said, I can't convince someone else to use Waze. All I can do is encourage them to try it. Then it's up to them to do so, and Waze to do it's thing. I'm not bringing it up every time we drive anywhere, because there would be no point. In fact, it might even be counter productive.

Just to make sure I understand your analogy as it pertains to my comment - you see introducing someone to the music teacher as akin to spreading the gospel and then you leave it up to the teacher and student. If so, I like your analogy - however, I’m not sure I would have the mentality to leave it alone though.
Well, yes. But after that introduction, I'm sure there would be other circumstances that might resurrect the topic (pun intended :P). So reiteration would definitely be in play. More importantly, I'd do my best to play my instrument very well, and in addition to my intrinsic motivation to do that, there would be the fact that the quality of my playing also represents the quality of the instruction I'm receiving.

Joe, say one of your kids starts down a path that would lead to destruction and you “know” it will. Are you saying you wouldn’t do anything in your power to convince your kid you are correct and they are wrong?

Of course, I'd do all I could. I'm not sure where I've said anything different to make you think I'm saying I wouldn't.

Especially in what you quoted from me.

Joe, say one of your kids starts down a path that would lead to destruction and you “know” it will. Are you saying you wouldn’t do anything in your power to convince your kid you are correct and they are wrong?

Of course, I'd do all I could. I'm not sure where I've said anything different to make you think I'm saying I wouldn't.

Yeah, I think it's my misunderstanding what folks are saying. Not to put words in anyone's mouth but sounds like the position we are both taking is we would do anything WE THINK would help - we just disagree on what would help.

we just disagree on what would help.

Thanks. Not sure on that. I'm not sure I understand what others think would help. Or what I'm saying would help.

My main point was I thought Penn Jillette's story was interesting and helpful. I know proselytizing is generally frowned upon but I think there are plenty like Jillette (and folks here) who are understanding.

Yeah, I think it's my misunderstanding what folks are saying. Not to put words in anyone's mouth but sounds like the position we are both taking is we would do anything WE THINK would help - we just disagree on what would help.
Just change the topic from religion saving your soul to a kid with a nasty drug problem that you see as threatening their happiness, health and life. Of course we would do everything we can to help our kid get clean. However, we might disagree on what approaches would work. Constant lecturing and badgering and warnings of ODs and threats are a low probability move. Those are the exact kind of strategies that fail over and over while fracturing the relationship (which is the one thing can help).

Oddly enough (or maybe it's not odd), the "Free Will" element is explored in detail in Jim Carey's movie, "Bruce Almighty" which I think is a fantastic illustration.

The premise goes that Jim Carrey gets to be God, and he wants a woman to fall in love with him.

But he soon finds out God doesn't have the power to make people follow him. It has to be their own decision. He might make the squirrels dance, or the rainbow appears, but the one limit to his power is that the people (and the girl in the movie's case) have free will. They're not robots that can be commanded to follow. And certainly not to love.

I have no idea what the makers of the movie were trying to do. But they illustrate a great point I believe.

Why would people have free will, and not any other animal?

Which then begs the question - why would a god give any of his/her creations free will?

As a society we are currently debating the limits that should be placed on AI - precisely because we think giving AI "Free Will" is a bad idea. Should we go ahead and proceed with no restraints?

Why would people have free will, and not any other animal?

Which then begs the question - why would a god give any of his/her creations free will?

As a society we are currently debating the limits that should be placed on AI - precisely because we think giving AI "Free Will" is a bad idea. Should we go ahead and proceed with no restraints?
Interesting questions. Do other animals not have free will? What is it when my dog obeys a command?

I wonder if humanity doesn't want AI to have free will because we'd feel threatened.

I often question if people actually have free will or simply an illusion of free will
Did you think of that by yourself, or did someone plant the seed? :biggrin:
I don't know but I am not saying we aren't free thinkers, just not sure we always have free will in our actions.
Of course, a lot depends on how you define "free will" - because all of our life experiences influence the next thing we do/say. So we may "choose" an action - but we have been funneled into that decision by a lifetime of actions.

I often question if people actually have free will or simply an illusion of free will
Did you think of that by yourself, or did someone plant the seed? :biggrin:
I don't know but I am not saying we aren't free thinkers, just not sure we always have free will in our actions.
Of course, a lot depends on how you define "free will" - because all of our life experiences influence the next thing we do/say. So we may "choose" an action - but we have been funneled into that decision by a lifetime of actions.
I mean more like everything that’s going to happen has already happened kind of thing. We are conscious so we are aware of what’s going on and we know if what we’re doing is a bad idea or if the path we are on is problematic but we often can’t do anything about it. People’s actions so often betray their own values or internal logic that I just question sometimes if our attempts to be someone who we are not are often futile. So many people do things and then don’t even understand why they did them or try to justify after the fact. Do we have freewill? To what extent? How much are we fighting against some other force driving us to be a certain way or commit certain actions?

Free will is one of those topics where extraordinary claims should require extraordinary evidence. If there's one thing that each of experiences every day, it's the experience of thinking about stuff and making decisions. The fact that you considered the topic and decided that "free will" might be illusory is itself a data point in favor of free will. I know that I personally decide things all the time. When you have a lifetime of first-hand experience with reality, it should take gigantic amounts of extremely high-quality evidence to even budge that prior. Your reluctance to adjust your prior should only go up once you get into it and realize how much of this debate is just a semantic argument about what the term "free will" means.

Yeah, all these analogies fall flat for me, because the promise of a chance at eternal life vs. damnation is worth so much more than learning/hearing music, beating traffic, etc. And even if people have heard it all before, if I believed, I’d have a hard time not reiterating it ad nauseam.

To use another analogy, I work in healthcare. Many people have terrible habits, which get them into trouble with chronic medical conditions. Even though they’ve all been counseled regarding weight loss, smoking cessation, abstinence from drugs or alcohol, etc., I remind them each visit, and offer to help them change their ways. And you know what? Some of them do, eventually. Some get irritated, too, but I think the net effect is for the best.

IIRC, it takes 6 attempt at quitting smoking before the average person is successful. While ultimately the individual must make the decision to quit, I’m certain they’ve been counseled multiple times along the way. Same goes for weight loss and substance cessation. Health is too important to look the other way, or assume people know better. And it‘s not good enough to lead by example.

I see no reason why proselytizing is any different, as there is arguably nothing more important than faith.

To be clear, I’m an atheist, and I appreciate it when believers share their faith, as long as it is done respectfully.

Just change the topic from religion saving your soul to a kid with a nasty drug problem that you see as threatening their happiness, health and life. Of course we would do everything we can to help our kid get clean. However, we might disagree on what approaches would work. Constant lecturing and badgering and warnings of ODs and threats are a low probability move. Those are the exact kind of strategies that fail over and over while fracturing the relationship (which is the one thing can help).
You don’t lecture, badger, or threaten. You offer to help, in a nonjudgmental fashion.

You don’t lecture, badger, or threaten. You offer to help, in a nonjudgmental fashion.
Yeah but also the person needs to come to see they have a problem. If they don’t see the problem or see the benefit of changing, they won’t want help. I’m sure we mostly agree here.

Yeah, all these analogies fall flat for me, because the promise of a chance at eternal life vs. damnation is worth so much more than learning/hearing music, beating traffic, etc. And even if people have heard it all before, if I believed, I’d have a hard time not reiterating it ad nauseam.

To use another analogy, I work in healthcare. Many people have terrible habits, which get them into trouble with chronic medical conditions. Even though they’ve all been counseled regarding weight loss, smoking cessation, abstinence from drugs or alcohol, etc., I remind them each visit, and offer to help them change their ways. And you know what? Some of them do, eventually. Some get irritated, too, but I think the net effect is for the best.

IIRC, it takes 6 attempt at quitting smoking before the average person is successful. While ultimately the individual must make the decision to quit, I’m certain they’ve been counseled multiple times along the way. Same goes for weight loss and substance cessation. Health is too important to look the other way, or assume people know better. And it‘s not good enough to lead by example.

I see no reason why proselytizing is any different, as there is arguably nothing more important than faith.

To be clear, I’m an atheist, and I appreciate it when believers share their faith, as long as it is done respectfully.
6 attempts to quit smoking means the person already wants to quit and sees the value in it. Most people who “aren’t saved” are not so because it’s too difficult but because they don’t see value in it. Two totally different things.

Last edited:
Free will is one of those topics where extraordinary claims should require extraordinary evidence. If there's one thing that each of experiences every day, it's the experience of thinking about stuff and making decisions. The fact that you considered the topic and decided that "free will" might be illusory is itself a data point in favor of free will. I know that I personally decide things all the time. When you have a lifetime of first-hand experience with reality, it should take gigantic amounts of extremely high-quality evidence to even budge that prior. Your reluctance to adjust your prior should only go up once you get into it and realize how much of this debate is just a semantic argument about what the term "free will" means.
You’ve never wanted to change something- maybe even something really important and failed repeatedly? Think of all the people wanting to lose weight, learn a new instrument, stop drinking, save money, etc. Also, the idea of where do our thoughts come from? Some of the most meaningful things I’ve ever done have been almost without any thought at all, they just happened or I just knew it what’s I would do. I often find the more I have to think about something, the less likely it is to happen. Why did I become a teacher? No idea just knew it was what I wanted to do and I love it. I was confident who I was going to marry pretty much 8 years before we ever even went on a date. When I cleaned up my health, it just happened. I went on a treadmill one morning, threw away all my weed, started eating less and just kept doing it. There was no plan or forethought.

You’ve never wanted to change something- maybe even something really important and failed repeatedly? Think of all the people wanting to lose weight, learn a new instrument, stop drinking, save money, etc. Also, the idea of where do our thoughts come from? Some of the most meaningful things I’ve ever done have been almost without any thought at all, they just happened or I just knew it what’s I would do. I often find the more I have to think about something, the less likely it is to happen. Why did I become a teacher? No idea just knew it was what I wanted to do and I love it. I was confident who I was going to marry pretty much 8 years before we ever even went on a date. When I cleaned up my health, it just happened. I went on a treadmill one morning, threw away all my weed, started eating less and just kept doing it. There was no plan or forethought.
Our preferences are complicated. When I see a hot chick, I definitely notice that she's hot. My upper brain knows that I'm married and I have no interest in "stepping out." It also knows that lust isn't the healthiest emotion to marinate in. But my lizard brain still knows that hot chicks are hot and pleasant to look at.

Likewise, my upper brain knows that it's a bad idea to eat a pack of Skittles every day. They have no nutritional value and are just empty calories that will do nothing but make me squishy. But I can't hide those Skittles from my lizard brain, which knows that they taste good and will conjure up evolutionary memories of finding some desperately-needed fruit in the savannah or something.

The researcher promised me ten bucks if I could sit here quietly and leave that marshmallow alone. Ten dollars can buy lots of marshmallows, so obviously I should take that deal. But that marshmallow looks pretty delicious, and it's awfully tempting to eat it right now.

When I'm driving, I'll often put my "driving brain" on autopilot and let my internal monologue keep me entertained. Then 80 miles fly by and I suddenly realize that I don't really remember any of the highway I just covered, because I was zoned out.

None of these things really disturb the notion of free will. Right now, I'm voluntarily choosing to respond to your post. I didn't have to do this. I skipped over a bunch of posts that, in my judgement, were written for the purpose of starting a dust-up, and that was an intentional decision on my part as well. I've gone through weight-loss phases similar to what you describe, and they were all motivated by a realization that I was getting a little heavier than I'd like, so I made some dietary adjustments. Obviously some of this is thermostatic -- we don't freely choose to breathe, or freely choose to regulate our blood pressure. Probably people naturally eat a little less when they're getting fat and eat a little more when they're getting thin, although it should be obvious just from looking around that people can choose to override those nudges if they want. But all this stuff really means is that our preferences are more complex and opaque than what we might realize. Not that we don't have preferences and act on them.

Our preferences are complicated. When I see a hot chick, I definitely notice that she's hot. My upper brain knows that I'm married and I have no interest in "stepping out." It also knows that lust isn't the healthiest emotion to marinate in. But my lizard brain still knows that hot chicks are hot and pleasant to look at.

Likewise, my upper brain knows that it's a bad idea to eat a pack of Skittles every day. They have no nutritional value and are just empty calories that will do nothing but make me squishy. But I can't hide those Skittles from my lizard brain, which knows that they taste good and will conjure up evolutionary memories of finding some desperately-needed fruit in the savannah or something.

The researcher promised me ten bucks if I could sit here quietly and leave that marshmallow alone. Ten dollars can buy lots of marshmallows, so obviously I should take that deal. But that marshmallow looks pretty delicious, and it's awfully tempting to eat it right now.

When I'm driving, I'll often put my "driving brain" on autopilot and let my internal monologue keep me entertained. Then 80 miles fly by and I suddenly realize that I don't really remember any of the highway I just covered, because I was zoned out.

None of these things really disturb the notion of free will. Right now, I'm voluntarily choosing to respond to your post. I didn't have to do this. I skipped over a bunch of posts that, in my judgement, were written for the purpose of starting a dust-up, and that was an intentional decision on my part as well. I've gone through weight-loss phases similar to what you describe, and they were all motivated by a realization that I was getting a little heavier than I'd like, so I made some dietary adjustments. Obviously some of this is thermostatic -- we don't freely choose to breathe, or freely choose to regulate our blood pressure. Probably people naturally eat a little less when they're getting fat and eat a little more when they're getting thin, although it should be obvious just from looking around that people can choose to override those nudges if they want. But all this stuff really means is that our preferences are more complex and opaque than what we might realize. Not that we don't have preferences and act on them.
Perhaps I deal with teenagers too often but it seems like so many behaviors I see all day long, the person is unable to explain why they are doing what they are doing. Even adults I encounter say 1 thing and then do another. Perhaps that lizard brain is driving things and if it is, how much control we do have over it? Or we are just passengers observing the lizard brain go. It even gets into dating where it’s been demonstrated people will list the qualities they find attractive then go through speed dating and the people they mark having an interest in generally don’t align with what they said they valued.

Interesting phrase given the thread subject

Interesting phrase given the thread subject
That was intentional. People who learned the value of critical thinking from reading Richard Dawkins in 2005 would do well to apply those same lessons to other areas of their lives. Dawkins himself does.

Edit: I may have mentioned this before and I'm too lazy to check, so I'll just say it again. Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris don't share my views on religion, obviously, but those two guys have been admirably consistent over the ensuing two decades. My view here is a lot like @Terminalxylem -- I don't mind being challenged at all if it's coming from somebody making a good-faith effort to correct what they see as error. Say what you will about these guys, but they certainly weren't trolling.

Last edited:
Sometimes I try to imagine what the world would be like if we took all the resources (money, time, effort, etc...) that's been put into religion and instead spent it on education. Would we be populating Mars? Living in other galaxies? Wiped out because we made terrible weapons and some nut destroyed us all?

To be fair though, this can be said about a lot of things. The thing religion has over many of the things we spend time and money on is it can bring peace and contentment to many and give them a sense of purpose. I’m not saying video games or sports or beer drinking can’t but there’s a much deeper meaning to most people’s religion. In general though, we frequently get all of our priorities out of whack - fundamentally I would think feeding, clothing, housing and medical attention should be the bare minimum we do for everyone - but that probably heads us down a discussion path that Joe wouldn’t want.

Well sure. And I remind people all the time, too. But do you remind people when you're not in the office? Do you bring up the topic out of the blue when there is something unrelated being discussed? You bring it up in a proper context, where your professional input will carry some weight. But I bet even if you have had special personal projects outside work, people who you intentionally work on with this proselytization, you don't bring these things up incessantly in a personal setting. If I'm wrong, how successful has that been?

So I've been looking at the rates of disaffiliation in the United States, where "disaffilation" is synonymous with "no religion." I was motivated to do so by a writer named Matt Yglesias, who has posited that a rapid change in societal mores has been the result of declining religious affiliation and piety.

On how great a scale has this disaffiliation happened and when did it happen, if it happened at all? Well, to quote the Pew Research Center, "In 1972, when the GSS first began asking Americans, “What is your religious preference?” 90% identified as Christian and 5% were religiously unaffiliated. In the next two decades, the share of “nones” crept up slowly, reaching 9% in 1993. But then disaffiliation started speeding up – in 1996, the share of unaffiliated Americans jumped to 12%, and two years later it was 14%. This growth has continued, and 29% of Americans now tell the GSS they have “no religion.”7

Pew Research Center has been measuring religious identity since 2007 using a slightly different question wording – “What is your present religion, if any?” – as well as a different set of response options. Since 2007, the percentage of adults who say they are atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular” in the Center’s surveys has grown from 16% to 29%. During this time, the share of U.S. adults who identify as Christian has fallen from 78% to 63%."

So we've seen self-reported agnostic/atheist individuals increase from 1998 to 2023 from 15% to 30%, roughly, of all Americans.

What do you think this means for the Republic. Anything? Nothing?

I'd be interested to hear what this board thinks about the rapid loss of religion in private life.
Incredible topic, I spend way too much time in the SP

-I have many Christian friends, in fact some of my best friends go to church on a regular basis but I do not. I like to discuss the Bible but a lot of Christians get upset when i start asking who wrote the Bible since we kinda know only 1 group of people were able to read and write around the time many Christians think the New testament was written

-I believe a lot happened that we will never know from around 33 AD thru 100 AD which is when the New Test was likely written. You know how modern social media works but imagine going back in time, it's hard and it's scary when you think of how primitive everything was and the people I might add. They love to fill these Bible theme movies and time periods and act like people spoke to each other in the ways we do now, that's complete horse manure. People could barely wipe their *** and there wasn't any Charmin so I ask you how much faith can you put into it?

I'm not here to make people feel defensive, I prefer to always read what believers feel and think, always want to know what is going on in their heads. Sometimes it's as simple as them accepting Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior and the rest they will figure out as they go, no problem with that at all, everyone needs to feel a sense of belonging and I have many good things to say about a lot of people I know who are openly Christian and happy to invite you to their church.

-I believe that they believe and I would feel better if more of them accepted the likely writers of the Bible and not pretend Matthew, Mark, Luke and John wrote the whole thing a few days after the Ascension, I'm telling you that the odds of that happening are slim to none IMHO. So if months or years roll by before the first words are put on paper, things could have been lost or stories might have been embellished a bit. We really don't know.

Then there is the Catholic Church but I'll save that for another time.

Last edited:
I grew up in the Catholic Church and that should explain at least part of my log in/handle here "Ministry of Pain" just sounds like a condemnation on the church when I did it.
-I loved going when I was a kid, alter boy at St Maurice in South Florida which is no longer there

Had an Irish priest with darker features and looked exactly like the younger priest in The Exorcist. This man was far too busy having dinner with the women in the church to have time messing around with any alter boys, I am lucky I was never tarnished in that way

I liked reading and the Bible had a lot of complicated words in it so I felt like I was getting smarter when I was young, always near the top of the class in school until...
-I started to reject Church and Christianity when my folks divorced as I entered public high school
Much more the class clown and barely got into college where I would meet my future wife.
I went to 3 different high schools my Freshman Year and everyone I grew up with when I was young was gone, all new people at every school.
Did manage to stay at the same school 10-12th, that was probably the best thing for me.

-Studied the History of Christianity with David Kling who wrote the Bible in History, fascinating course and he was a believer for sure, welcomed my challenges and offered no apologies that accepting Christ is a leap of faith. I appreciated his honesty

-I have many Christian friends, in fact some of my best friends go to church on a regular basis but I do not. I like to discuss the Bible but a lot of Christians get upset when i start asking who wrote the Bible since we kinda know only 1 group of people were able to read and write around the time many Christians think the New testament was written

-I believe a lot happened that we will never know from around 33 AD thru 100 AD which is when the New Test was likely written. You know how modern social media works but imagine going back in time, it's hard and it's scary when you think of how primitive everything was and the people I might add. They love to fill these Bible theme movies and time periods and act like people spoke to each other in the ways we do now, that's complete horse manure. People could barely wipe their *** and there wasn't any Charmin so I ask you how much faith can you put into it?

I'm not here to make people feel defensive, I prefer to always read what believers feel and think, always want to know what is going on in their heads. Sometimes it's as simple as them accepting Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior and the rest they will figure out as they go, no problem with that at all, everyone needs to feel a sense of belonging and I have many good things to say about a lot of people I know who are openly Christian and happy to invite you to their church.

-I believe that they believe and I would feel better if more of them accepted the likely writers of the Bible and not pretend Matthew, Mark, Luke and John wrote the whole thing a few days after the Ascension, I'm telling you that the odds of that happening are slim to none IMHO. So if months or years roll by before the first words are put on paper, things could have been lost or stories might have been embellished a bit. We really don't know.

People always get hung up on the issue of when the gospels were written, but nobody disputes that Paul's epistles were written in the period immediately after the crucifixion (within 20 years or so). All the main tenets of what would go on to become Christianity were obviously in wide circulation by that time, as evidenced by Paul having to set some his congregations straight. (It doesn't help to argue that some of "Paul's" letters were likely written by somebody else -- they're still known to be early and serve as good evidence that the ideas later expressed in the gospels were already in play among early Christians).

So I've been looking at the rates of disaffiliation in the United States, where "disaffilation" is synonymous with "no religion." I was motivated to do so by a writer named Matt Yglesias, who has posited that a rapid change in societal mores has been the result of declining religious affiliation and piety.

On how great a scale has this disaffiliation happened and when did it happen, if it happened at all? Well, to quote the Pew Research Center, "In 1972, when the GSS first began asking Americans, “What is your religious preference?” 90% identified as Christian and 5% were religiously unaffiliated. In the next two decades, the share of “nones” crept up slowly, reaching 9% in 1993. But then disaffiliation started speeding up – in 1996, the share of unaffiliated Americans jumped to 12%, and two years later it was 14%. This growth has continued, and 29% of Americans now tell the GSS they have “no religion.”7

Pew Research Center has been measuring religious identity since 2007 using a slightly different question wording – “What is your present religion, if any?” – as well as a different set of response options. Since 2007, the percentage of adults who say they are atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular” in the Center’s surveys has grown from 16% to 29%. During this time, the share of U.S. adults who identify as Christian has fallen from 78% to 63%."

So we've seen self-reported agnostic/atheist individuals increase from 1998 to 2023 from 15% to 30%, roughly, of all Americans.

I'd be interested to hear what this board thinks about the rapid loss of religion in private life.

I feel like you're being way too harsh of these "primitive" people. Biblical literature is regarded as pretty extraordinary and sophisticated. And, I've started to wonder if we are too critical of their oral culture. I suspect they were much better at the telephone game than we are today in our culture.

People always get hung up on the issue of when the gospels were written, but nobody disputes that Paul's epistles were written in the period immediately after the crucifixion (within 20 years or so). All the main tenets of what would go on to become Christianity were obviously in wide circulation by that time, as evidenced by Paul having to set some his congregations straight. (It doesn't help to argue that some of "Paul's" letters were likely written by somebody else -- they're still known to be early and serve as good evidence that the ideas later expressed in the gospels were already in play among early Christians).
Excellent post, appreciate you introducing one of my favs. Paul helped approve executions of professed Christians for quite some time.
He is blinded by light one day while rounding up Christians in Damascus to take back to Jerusalem...just picture what that was like.
-And apparently after 3 days of being blind, he is healed by Ananias, apparently Jesus was not the only person with powers to heal at the time.

Incredible story to try and digest and believe.
-My favorite Bible story is when the old lady puts 2 pennies in the offering. Jesus is hanging out and pointing out big ticket items to the disciples as they are people watching and then the old lady rolls up and drops the pennies in there, Jesus says she gave the most.

Here is what is not told in the Bible that I get from that story...Jesus didn't walk up and pull the pennies out, hand them to the old lady and say "My father doesn't need your money" that did not happen..why? First of all it would have been very embarrassing but the 2nd thing that is not told/said clearly but I take from it is that "Everybody Has to Pay!"

2 pennies, 2 dollars, sweat equity, it's all good but you gotta pay, there is no getting around it. It doesn't have to be physical money or goods, it can be something simple like helping a soup kitchen or church that feeds the homeless. There are so many ways to get involved in the human spirit without directly accepting Jesus Christ.

-I would say in general I am not a fan of organized religion but I am a friend to many Christians and I've been handed "The Case for Christ" about 4-5x now, I always take it and thank the person because I know they care about me and for some reason are worried I won't be with them in the afterlife which I think is kinda sweet.

-I've been saved Twice!
But if you don't truly believe, does it count?

Last edited:

I feel like you're being way too harsh of these "primitive" people. Biblical literature is regarded as pretty extraordinary and sophisticated. And, I've started to wonder if we are too critical of their oral culture. I suspect they were much better at the telephone game than we are today in our culture.
Why would they be better at it?
How wide of a vocabulary do you think these folks had?

They drove nails into peoples hands and feet, whipped the flesh off their bodies
I'm being too harsh about life back then?

I like your vibe in the post, you're just trying to help enlighten me or bring something into focus I had not thought of
I was a big Christopher Hitchens fan before he died, didn't agree with everything he said but he was a great debater for atheists
I do not consider myself atheist, but I also do not believe much on leaps of faith or blind faith.
Somewhere in the middle perhaps?

Food for thought: if you were born in India, there is a >92% chance that you would be either a Hindu or Muslim. If you were born in Japan there is a <1.5% chance that you would hold Christian beliefs. That is to say, what you believe is almost entirely a byproduct of where you were born and to whom. I would also suggest that grounding any theistic (or even deistic) beliefs that one has must be thoughtfully reconciled with our absolute planetary insignificance locally here on earth and our even more dramatic cosmic insignificance more broadly in the never ending universe, as the James Webb is currently redefining for us on almost a daily basis.

Why would they be better at it?
How wide of a vocabulary do you think these folks had?

They drove nails into peoples hands and feet, whipped the flesh off their bodies
I'm being too harsh about life back then?

I like your vibe in the post, you're just trying to help enlighten me or bring something into focus I had not thought of
I was a big Christopher Hitchens fan before he died, didn't agree with everything he said but he was a great debater for atheists
I do not consider myself atheist, but I also do not believe much on leaps of faith or blind faith.
Somewhere in the middle perhaps?
I just think a culture that relies on oral transmission of information is going to be better at a game requiring accuracy of relaying oral information. It's their world and not ours, so they'll be better at it. In first century Judaism, they relied on memorization which came out of repeatedly hearing the same thing over and over.

Some of the saddest splits I've seen between people who care deeply for each other have come from the Christian sincerely, earnestly, and respectfully witnessing to the atheist or agnostic. A couple of holiday bruhahas come to mind. It can be the most sensitive topic. As certain as believers are, unbelievers often are too. They've also heard it all before. They might be armed with many reasons why they don't believe: The horrors of religion in history, the evidence from science, the hypocrisies mentioned here, examples from the bible that make this idea of god seem evil and insane... so much more. When a non-believer realizes you think he/she is going to hell, it can get emotional.
While it hasn't hurt our relationship, I've had many of these discussions with my father (he's born again, I'm an atheist). To your point, I'm as convinced we become nothing but worm food as he is that I'm turning down an opportunity to be in heaven. And while there are certainly militant atheists out there, I think by and large the "you should believe what I believe' conversations are instigated by the religious. I've certainly never tried to convert a religious person, so it's off-putting when someone tries to convert me.

Food for thought: if you were born in India, there is a >92% chance that you would be either a Hindu or Muslim. If you were born in Japan there is a <1.5% chance that you would hold Christian beliefs. That is to say, what you believe is almost entirely a byproduct of where you were born and to whom. I would also suggest that grounding any theistic (or even deistic) beliefs that one has must be thoughtfully reconciled with our absolute planetary insignificance locally here on earth and our even more dramatic cosmic insignificance more broadly in the never ending universe, as the James Webb is currently redefining for us on almost a daily basis.
This is another one of those things that was asked and answered 20 years ago.

Edit: Here you go. I only gave this a very quick skim, but it seems like a pretty good overview of extremely well-trod ground.

Last edited:
Here is how I rationalize where we are going and I think it works very well with Christianity and the "heavens"

-Ashes to Ashes and Dust to Dust, let's make a leap of faith that are bodies decay and go back into the ground sorta speak after we pass on from this World.
My understanding is that our sun eventually will burn out and Earth will cease to exist as well if not prior to the end of the sun.
That sun will eventually have it's "death" and sometimes those star deaths create new stars and I just think our "matter" will go back out into the Universe and into the "heavens"
I'm always looking for a scientific way to further my spirituality/religious leanings

And I'm bypassing a lot of details but you get the general idea..

You don’t lecture, badger, or threaten. You offer to help, in a nonjudgmental fashion
what percentage of people do you think have this ability?

It's sales. With an unusual product. And you have a bunch of people out there selling, who are bad at sales.

And a bunch of bad actors among the ones who are good at sales.
Don’t know, maybe 10%? But I think it’s worth trying, repeatedly, because you never know how receptive the listener may be, given the fluidity of individual circumstances.

Yeah, all these analogies fall flat for me,

So I'm clear, can you redefine the point you're making?

That you think believers should share their faith if they really believe it?
Yes, liberally and repeatedly, while demonstrating behavior consistent with religious values.

In my experience, this rarely happens, with the vast majority of devout people keeping their thoughts to themselves. That’s certainly their prerogative, but I still find it surprising.

My sister is an intelligent, educated woman, who happens to be obese. My mom was obese, too, and died of diabetic complications. Even though she’s heard it all before, every time we talk, I always ask my sister about her health, and remind her about delinquent testing, as she keeps postponing seeing a doctor.

She usually makes bad excuses, and attempts to change the topic, but ends up acknowledging the need to take care of her health. And even though I suspect she’ll keep putting it off, I’m not going to give up, as I firmly believe people can change, or “see the light”, and it isn’t always readily apparent why they do so.

Taking care of my own health , to set an example, isn’t enough, just as personal connection to god isn’t enough to save one’s loved ones. Any potential harm of “lecturing” nonbelievers is more than offset by the benefits, imo.

Well sure. And I remind people all the time, too. But do you remind people when you're not in the office? Do you bring up the topic out of the blue when there is something unrelated being discussed? You bring it up in a proper context, where your professional input will carry some weight. But I bet even if you have had special personal projects outside work, people who you intentionally work on with this proselytization, you don't bring these things up incessantly in a personal setting. If I'm wrong, how successful has that been?
You can see my post about my sister. I’ve offered help/insight in non-professional settings for substance use, weight loss and exercise, too, with varying degrees of success. And I don’t do it all the time.

But nothing I can offer, whether solicited or not, is remotely as important as eternal life.

Users who are viewing this thread