What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Parents: Is There A Growing Post-Pandemic Youth Mental Health Crisis ? (10/30) (1 Viewer)

GordonGekko

Footballguy
VIDEO: U.S. kids grappling with mental health crisis made worse by the pandemic 60 Minutes Sep 4, 2022

Sharyn Alfonsi reports from Wisconsin where rates of adolescent self-harm and attempted suicide have nearly doubled since 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nnb5Jg9fH0

Direct Headline: Parents worry about growing post-pandemic youth mental health crisis

By Chia-Yi Hou Jan. 25, 2023

Young people’s mental health declined sharply in the early months of the COVID-19 pandemic, when schools were closed and most students were learning remotely. School administrators and caregivers were optimistic the crisis might ease this year after most students returned to classrooms during the 2021-2022 school year. “It was the hope that after settling for the first year and returning to in person learning that some things would have slowed down....”

...But that doesn’t appear to be the case. Midway through the 2022-2023 school year, school social workers are finding that youth are still experiencing a high level of mental health challenges, and a new survey shows that many parents are worried about anxiety and depression in their children. ...Many of the mental health challenges young people are currently facing are a result of historical trauma from when they were in close proximity with others in their households during lockdowns early in the pandemic, she says. Now that restrictions have eased, she explains young people appear to be releasing their feelings arising from those traumatic situations, which they may have previously been holding inside them, in a different way. ...“We have a lot of students that have also had difficulty managing their emotions and are acting out...”

Research and statistics measuring young people’s mental health by a variety of different metrics remained relatively stable until about 2009, says Young. After that, an inflection point marked the beginning of a steady degradation of youth mental health. In recent years, that decline has also been accompanied by a consistent rise in suicide rates and emergency department visits among young people for psychiatric reasons....The reason for the downturn in young people’s mental health, Young suggests, is the rise of technology and social media. Smartphone and social media use is linked to increased mental distress, self-harm and suicidal ideation among youth....The isolating effect of remote learning and other stressors, like food insecurity worsened by children no longer having access to school meals, may have put a strain on young people’s mental health amid the pandemic.

...Amid the ongoing crisis, more than three-quarters of parents are at least somewhat worried about their children’s mental health, according to a report published Tuesday from the Pew Research Center....The survey included 3,757 U.S. parents with children under 18 years old. Mental health topped the list of the parents’ concerns, ahead of bullying and kidnapping or abduction. Forty percent of respondents said they were extremely or very worried about their children struggling with anxiety or depression, while another 36 percent said they were somewhat worried....

...Research has found that social isolation significantly increases a person's risk of premature death from all causes, a risk that may rival those of smoking, obesity, and physical inactivity....Most of us understand that getting older can mean a loss of friends and a greater feeling of loneliness but in recent years, researchers have found millennials are feeling lonelier than Baby Boomers....According to a study by Cigna, young adults are twice as likely to be lonely than seniors. Seventy-nine percent of adults aged 18 to 24 report feeling lonely compared to 41% of seniors aged 66 and older. This is consistent with earlier research....“When you are on social media, a lot of what you’re seeing is not reality. What we post are our best situations, our best self, our best opportunities and often when we look at that, we may not measure up to what our friends are doing or what our acquaintances are doing...Feelings of loneliness can lead to increased risk of depression, anxiety, substance use disorder, aggression, impulsivity and suicidal thoughts...”

https://thehill.com/changing-americ...ing-post-pandemic-youth-mental-health-crisis/

https://newsroom.osfhealthcare.org/...p-but-loneliness-epidemic-keeps-a-tight-hold/

Direct Headline: Last responders: Mental health damage from Covid could last a generation, professionals say

Holly Ellyatt FEB 10 2022

Many psychologists and psychiatrists have reported an influx of people seeking mental health support during the pandemic, with the unprecedented global health crisis causing an increase in anxiety and depression as well as exacerbating existing mental health conditions....“I can’t refer people to other people because everybody is full. Nobody’s taking new patients ... So I’ve never been as busy in my life, during the pandemic, and ever in my career,” he said, adding that he’s also seen an influx of former patients returning to him for help....Raiteri said that many of his patients are still working remotely and were isolated, with many feeling “disconnected and lost, and they just have this kind of malaise.”

...Numerous studies on the impact of Covid on mental health have been carried out. One study, published in The Lancet medical journal in October, looked at the global prevalence of depression and anxiety disorders in 204 countries and territories in 2020 due to the Covid pandemic....It found that mental health dramatically declined in that year, with an estimated 53 million additional cases of major depressive disorders and 76 million additional cases of anxiety disorders seen globally. Women and younger people were found to be affected more than men and older adults....“There’s definitely a huge mental health impact from a long period of uncertainty and change that’s left people very isolated and not sure how to connect. Just being out in public and interacting in a very casual way with strangers or mild acquaintances, that’s very regulating, and norm-creating and reality affirming....”

...Natalie Bodart, a London-based clinical psychologist and head of The Bodart Practice, told CNBC that the pandemic meant that many people had to confront issues in their life that they’d been able to avoid before, such as alcoholism, relationship issues, isolation and loneliness.....“Our day to day lives serve as great defense mechanisms, we have lots of distractions that help us to avoid things, for good and for ill....”

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/10/covid-pandemic-mental-health-damage-could-last-a-generation.html

"Definitely turning more spiritual. My focus is not so much on the water and the shelter and the fire and the food, because I know I have those things. It's becoming more inward looking.... If you are forced to spend a lot of time by yourself, well, you better like yourself as a person first...." - Alan Kay, Alone S1, History Channel

"I wouldn't say a single word to them. I would listen to what they have to say, and that's what no one did.” - Marilyn Manson, Bowling For Columbine

Here is another topic that is designed to increase discussion and participation in the FFA.

I'd like to have an open honest discussion here about the mental health crisis regarding youth and children as fallout from the COVID19 pandemic. I am not looking to delve into public policy, the actions/inactions of elected officials, the MSM, judicial rulings regarding the pandemic, etc, etc. I'd like to keep the topic focused on the perspective of parents here, and how they see what has happened in their own families or within other children in their general local social /educational network.

If you are a parent with teens / young children during the isolation phases of the pandemic, how did that impact your children? (Those without children are welcome to share their casual observations of others they know directly on the matter) Are some of those issues still lingering now? How did you feel about it and why? How did it impact other children you could see around your own child? What steps did you take to try to mitigate some of the conflicts implied? Were there other stressors in your own adult life ( i.e. your own mental health, finances, career, martial conflict, etc, etc) that impacted your ability to better aid your children in this regard? Outside of public policy discussion, what should be done to help kids with these issues? Are you concerned about more isolation type scenarios in the future? What role do you see social media, influences in mass entertainment, peer pressure and other cultural forces at work, regarding kids and teenagers, have in all of this? Knowing what you know right now, is there anything you would have done much differently (again avoiding public policy related discussion) during the beginning phases of this crisis?

I'll leave this here for others to discuss. (10/30)

My daughter lost her grandpa in the Delta wave. She was the oldest granddaughter to a man who raised 4 daughters. They had a special bond. We lived in the same neighborhood and my daughter would ride her bike to visit him constantly. Seeing the selfishness of people during a pandemic that took someone so close to her has certainly opened her eyes to how apathetic some people can be to others.

COVID has made some things really come to light. BUT, imo, we've been heading this direction for some time. Kids need strong guidance, and boundaries from adults. As time goes on, this is lacking more, and more. Kids are addicted to screens, and social media. Parents are increasingly checked out....both work, whatever, kids left to own devices....literally. Children's developing brains do not know how to handle the things they are exposed to......and here we are.

My 13 year old son is a mess. He sees a therapist and there's a waiting list for a psychiatrist. He may have anxiety and/or OCD. This all started in the last two years. I know teenagers go through some **** but this is a strange coincidence that this all happened after he returned to school after remote learning and then wearing a mask all day in class.

My son did poorly with remote learning.....it was an age/technology/bandwidth thing.....it was a real struggle, and he developed pretty severe anxiety, and was later diagnosed with OCD. The silver lining is he showed tendencies pre-shutdown that we did not recognize at the time. Subsequently, we identified the issue and have been able to get him help he needs......that said, the current state of our public school district is not good. It's a multi-faceted issue, but essentially the teachers have zero authority, and the bad kids run the show. Makes it a difficult learning environment....especially for a kid who has difficulty staying focused anyway.

My 13 year old son is a mess. He sees a therapist and there's a waiting list for a psychiatrist. He may have anxiety and/or OCD. This all started in the last two years. I know teenagers go through some **** but this is a strange coincidence that this all happened after he returned to school after remote learning and then wearing a mask all day in class.
The lack of access to services is one the biggest issues right now for sure

Have heard lots of stories like the above so I’m sure there was certainly an effect but we’ve been lucky I guess. My daughter is in 2nd grade now so her kindergarten year was the stay at home year with 1st grade being the mask wearing year. I feel like she handled it all like a champ. Transitioned into going to school fine, normal first day jitters but nothing crazy. Occasionally complained about the masks but not very often and was definitely not “thing”, was more of a minor annoyance. No lasting effects today that my wife or I can see.

COVID has made some things really come to light. BUT, imo, we've been heading this direction for some time. Kids need strong guidance, and boundaries from adults. As time goes on, this is lacking more, and more. Kids are addicted to screens, and social media. Parents are increasingly checked out....both work, whatever, kids left to own devices....literally. Children's developing brains do not know how to handle the things they are exposed to......and here we are.
This is an accurate description of how my wife and I feel. All the issues you describe were in play long before COVID. COVID just accentuated many of these issues.

I just spent the entire day with a bunch of 4th and 5th graders for a field trip. They all seemed like normal 4th and 5th graders. My middle son has some struggles with anger and processing but I don't think that that has anything to do with the pandemic. On top of that, they have adjusted well with having their mother go through a battle with cancer. So far... I thankfully don't anything from them or from the kids from their school that I interact with as a coach and just being around.

As a high school teacher, yes for sure. Kids are a mess and it was happening before COVID. Around 2010 we see suicide, depression, anxiety and self harm significantly increasing and outpacing other issues such as ADHD.

And that timeline correlates very closely to the rise of smart phones and social media.
It's totally obvious, but we're going to look the other way because it's too much hassle to do anything about it.

It's totally obvious, but we're going to look the other way because it's too much hassle to do anything about it.
It's crazy how many conversations I have had with parents about how great of a distraction the phone and airpods have become for their kid and the adverse impact it is having only to hear the

- parents deflect back to me

- tell me they can't do anything about it because their kid will get too mad/sad

or my favorite,
-ask me to take a hard line stance on it but not to mention that the parent was in on it because they don't want their kid upset with them.

And my stance is never blaming the parents. I always acknowledge how challenging it is and how we both are on the same team trying to support each other but there is a lot of parents simply unwilling to make the sustained effort to do something about it.

Last edited:
As a high school teacher, yes for sure. Kids are a mess and it was happening before COVID. Around 2010 we see suicide, depression, anxiety and self harm significantly increasing and outpacing other issues such as ADHD.

And that timeline correlates very closely to the rise of smart phones and social media.
Sure does
I firmly believe there is nothing more harmful to our teenagers then Social Media. The connection to it and teen suicide is undeniable.

It's crazy how many conversations I have had with parents about how great of a distraction the phone and airpods have become for their kid and the adverse impact it is having only to hear the - parents deflect back to me
- tell me they can't do anything about it because their kid will get too mad/sad

or my favorite,
-ask me to take a hard line stance on it but not to mention that the parent was in on it because they don't want their kid upset with them.

And my stance is never blaming the parents. I always acknowledge how challenging it is and how we both are on the same team trying to support each other but there is a lot of parents simply unwilling to make the sustained effort to do something about it.
Speaking as a parent in the middle of all of this.....

There's a fine line between limiting your kid so they are "uncool" or "left out" vs. allowing them to open Pandora's box. And each kid is different. It's not one size fits all.

The two main takeaways I have so far....

1) communication is key. Make you child put down the device, and interact. Keep an open line of communication. Set the expectation that they WILL come out of their room....no negotiating......my house, my rules type stuff.....they must let their friends know that, tonight is family time, "I won't be on my phone tonight".....it's a battle with a teen, but it's worth the battle.....a positive secondary from this can be that their friends get exposed to boundaries, and it can be more acceptable to them as well.

2) phones should not be allowed in schools, period. Teachers and staff cannot possibly monitor the use. It's a serious issue, and one of the biggest we face.

2) phones should not be allowed in schools, period. Teachers and staff cannot possibly monitor the use. It's a serious issue, and one of the biggest we face.
Most of the teachers in our building have a no phone policy but enforcing it isn’t as easy obviously. Plus there are times when it would be logical for kids to use them. Ideally we should be teaching responsible usage and how to use the phone productively (calendar, setting reminders, etc). A new problem came up after the MSU shooting. Many teachers have a caddy system where kids are to put their phones during class. A few kids and their parents have said that with school shootings they don’t want their kids to be caught without their phones. It’s tough because I do get that concern.

Honestly the AirPods are just as big of an issue. I know there are kids putting their phones up but still have AirPods in listening to music. With long hair and 32 kids to monitor it’s not always easy to see.

It's crazy how many conversations I have had with parents about how great of a distraction the phone and airpods have become for their kid and the adverse impact it is having only to hear the

- parents deflect back to me

or my favorite,

Yep, and I was 100% a guilty party in all of this when I was dealing with this issue as a parent 10 years or so ago. It's easy to just go along with the herd, and it's difficult to be the one parent in your kids' entire peer group who says no. And besides, there are good reasons for school-aged kids to have phones than have nothing to do with social media, which makes it that much harder to draw a line and hold it.

Still, I see the way grown adults treat each other on SM, and I wonder how any teenagers and adolescents navigate that space. It's like the worst bullying you ever personally witnessed in middle school dialed up to 11 and pumped out 24/7/365. There's no way that's healthy for kids. It's not healthy for adults.

My son doesnt have any social media* and barely uses his phone and still has issues. Hes also an only child and talks to his friends while playing sports video games. Not saying social media isnt a huge influence but just saying in my son's particular case it does not.

*He does watch youtube but mostly videos about video games and sports but doesnt have tiktok, snapchat, instagram or any of those.

VIDEO: How Remote Work Destroyed My Mental Health | Future of Work PBS Voices Sep 1, 2021

...After graduating a year early from USC Business School, Katherine landed a big-time sales gig at a well-known tech company in San Francisco. But then the pandemic hit. Suddenly, new roommates (her parents) and the inability to unplug (60-70 hour work weeks) had Katherine’s anxiety levels at an all-time high. Were work-life balance and boundaries actually possible in the pressure cooker career path she had chosen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyKmnuChu0Y

One of the unspoken issues regarding youth mental health is the stacking toll on adults and their own emotional/mental well being.

It's going to be 100 time harder for a child to hold it together if the parent or parents are barely staying afloat in their own wellness.

Of course, most media on the issue will only cover college educated high earners, probably above average attractiveness, and not discuss the many people just scraping by financially, and the toll that takes from a stress stand point.

If you have tension at home, that soaks into the kids. If their school / education system is already unstable, then where does a child go to find help?

Most of you have never spent any extensive time in Texas, but youth football there often brings communities together. Both good things and bad things come from it, but it's often a glue that binds people across vastly different situations and circumstances. It's within an actual community where people can find help, a local social support system and some kind of practical resource base. Increased isolation is not only dangerous from a purely mental health standpoint for adult parents, but it's logistically the fastest pathway to erode basic community structures and community shared values that can actually help kids in need.

One thing is very apparent since the pandemic - You are on your own. No one is coming to help you. No one is coming to save you. You have to be your own cavalry. In that regard, the first casualties of this madness will be our children.

I think a lot of this stuff existed in the past, we just didn't really have a name for it or know it was something to look for. Just offhand I can think of a few dozen kids in my high school classes back in the day that were "weird" and would today have been diagnosed with anxiety, OCD, ADHD, etc.

That said, I do agree that social media has likely made things worse. I remember 10 years ago after my first week at a new job I came across a co-worker's twitter feed and he was complaining on there about having to sit next to the new guy that he found annoying (I have what today would probably be called OCD as I touch my face a lot as a nervous tick and he was complaining about that specifically). I was a grown adult so I could shrug it off, but as a 14 year old trying to fit in that kind of thing has to be brutal.

VIDEO: COVID's education crisis: A lost generation? CBS Sunday Morning Mar 26, 2023

Students who were forced into remote learning because of the pandemic lost valuable time in class; one nationwide study shows reading skills have dropped to their lowest point in 30 years. With the added personal toll from COVID, this generation is facing a crisis of stunted learning and emotional turmoil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB5WoOE0xmY

What will go often undiscussed is that many children and young teenagers have bad home lives. The shut downs and lock downs didn't help that. What it likely did was helped to fuel a "hot box" where the kid is reminded on an accelerated level of how much their parents see them as burdens and never wanted them.

I'm sure the same effect happened to many married people. Their level of tolerance only held slightly above the water line because they could go to work and escape at work and they needed the two incomes to raise said implied children.

Nothing is more unsettling than the notion that you have multiple layers of incompetent adults, at all levels, responsible for the well being of children, and it's a vicious tug of war where the kids are basically the rope. How much can you pull with all your force against something over and over again and not wear someone down? Or get to the point of snapping?

Here is something I had to accept with my godson. While I have the means to give him certain opportunities and safety nets to protect him, more than many other parents have, if he grows up in a world full of chaos because all the other kids are a mess, then how safe will he be in the end?

Some of you are likely thinking that right now. That your kids are fine. However it's a bigger issue than that. If your kids have to live in a world full of carnage where all their "peers" are irrevocably broken on a mental / emotional level, how does your child find a way to thrive while being surrounded by that?

Keeping our kids safe has to work at two levels. First, is the individual level that happens in private in a household. Second, is the world around them. While we, as parents, cannot do much on a national and global level, we all have opportunities to be more involved in a close knit local level. It's important for parents to be invested and involved and know what is going on with their kids at their schools.

Human beings were designed to problem solve at a small tribal level. At a small community level. This is how we operate best against the brutal forces of the world around us.

Users who are viewing this thread