What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Classic Rock Albums of All Time: #1. Sticky Fingers (3 Viewers)

They also occasionally played Silver Spring, the B-side of Go Your Own Way that got new life when it was featured in The Dance. (It was added to pressings of Rumours after the release of The Dance; Nicks was highly upset that it had been cut from Rumours in the first place.)
Silver Springs would have put the album into another stratosphere, if that’s even possible.

I say all this and I’m not even a huge Mac fan during the Stevie/Lindsay years.
I’m not a Big Mac fan either but Rumours is incredible. Stevie gets a lot credit for her talent but I’m not sure it’s enough. She is amazing.
So you prefer Whoppers?
Well played boys!

5. The Beatles- The Beatles (The White Album) (1968)

Classic rock radio hits: While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Back In the USSR, Blackbird, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Birthday, Helter Skelter, Dear Prudence

I have this ranked as the greatest double album in rock history. And even then it’s just a little bit too long, with a couple of unnecessary tunes IMO. But the quality of the vast majority of music is so strong that it makes up for any slight mistakes.

Back In the U.S.S.R.
Strong rocker to open the album. It’s almost traditional 50s style rock ala Chuck Berry, and it’s great.

Dear Prudence
Always among my very favorite Beatles songs. So pretty. I also love the Siouxie and the Banshees version which is very different.

Glass Onion
John has fun here throwing out clues and references to other Beatles tunes- (The Beatles, Bob Dylan, and Taylor Swift are three artists I can think of who seem to enjoy teasing their obsessed fans with clues and hidden meanings).

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Pleasant and happy pop tune by Paul. Earliest reference ever to cross-dressing in a song? Maybe.

Wild Honey Pie
Short filler. It sounds really strange but like everything else on this record I’m used to it after years of listening.

The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
See Wild Honey Pie. This is OK, but by now I sing along.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps
George Harrison’s greatest song? Quite possibly. The Beatles best rock song ever? Quite possibly. Timeless and sublime. Eric Clapton’s guitar solo may be his best as well.

Happiness Is a Warm Gun
Just an incredibly good deep cut except that it’s the Beatles so there really are no deep cuts. But this is a magnificent song that received less attention than the hits.

Martha My Dear
One of Paul’s many music hall tunes and one of his best, with a gorgeous melody.

I’m So Tired
This sounds a lot like John’s later solo stuff. Very catchy song.

Blackbird
Paul’s classic acoustic lullaby has been covered literally a thousand times by artists of nearly every musical genre- I really enjoy a couple of the jazz and blues versions I’ve heard- but the original remains the best (except that the birds chirping starting with the second verse are unnecessary.)

Piggies
As a kid I thought this was just a funny catchy tune. I had no idea it was an attack against the establishment which would take on dark overtones when it was used by the Manson family.

Rocky Raccoon
Always loved this country tune by Paul. The guitar and melody remind me greatly of Townes Van Zandt.

Don’t Pass Me By
More music hall. Nice use of old time fiddling.

Why Don’t We Do It In the Road
Great short blues. Love the sound to this.

I Will
Gorgeous love song. Another hidden gem.

Julia
I have always regarded this tribute by John Lennon to his mother as one of his greatest compositions. Perfection IMO.

Birthday
Meh. Boring rock song. Least interesting tune on the record, and the drums go on too long.

Yer Blues
Terrific slow blues. So good. But the best version is from Rock and Roll Circus featuring John and Keith Richards.

Mother Nature’s Son
Yet another beautiful acoustic album- this album is filled with them.

Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
Fine rock and roll, but other than the interesting title, nothing special.

Sexy Sadie
Love the keyboards on this. Another really good song by John.

Helter Skelter
Paul has never rocked harder in his life. He’s got blisters on his fingers! Its later use by a crazed maniac was unfortunate.

Long, Long, Long
Another pretty rock song with a muted sound that I usually dislike but it works well here.

Revolution 1
Slower version of the single. I prefer the original, with its outstanding guitars, but this is fine.

Honey Pie
More music hall, and this one really could be played in a music hall or cabaret or Broadway musical. Needs a dance to go with it.

Savoy Truffle
I enjoy the horns on this one. Otherwise it’s just OK.

Cry Baby Cry
See what I wrote above about this album being filled with tremendous ballads.

Revolution 9
Unlistenable. If not for this I might have been forced to rank this album even higher, perhaps at the top! But I can’t do that if there is a song I can never listen to all the way through.

Good Night
Sweet lovely ending to an incredible record.

Terrific album, obviously. 5 or 6 of the greatest songs they produced come from this album. I tend to agree that While My Guitar Gently Weeps is likely their best "classic rock" song.

For me, and I know there are some serious aficionados of The Beatles here, but IMO Sgt. Peppers is pound for pound their best album. But it's tough to go wrong with the White Album. Great call.

I might be in the minority and get flamed on this one, but IMO, The Beatles album could have been a single LP, keeping the platinum material and (to me) leaving off some of the filler (which could have been used on one of their future albums). I could have lived without Side 4 altogether, and there are several other selections I could have done without. To my ears, they could have pared down 45+ minutes of material and added the rock version of Revolution and Hey Jude (which were released as a single right before the White Album came out), and this would have been a candidate as the greatest album of all time . . .

Back In The USSR - 2:43
Dear Prudence - 3:56
Glass Onion - 2:18
Ob-La-Di, Ob-Li-Da - 3:08
While My Guitar Gently Weeps - 4:45
Hey Jude - 7:12
Happiness Is A Warm Gun - 2:47
Blackbird - 2:18
Rocky Raccoon - 3:33
Julia - 2:57
Birthday - 2:42
Yer Blues - 4:01
Helter Skelter - 4:30
Revolution - 3:21
Total: 50:12

Clearly, the album released as is is still phenomenal. I bought the CD the initial day it was released in 1987 and have played it to death since then. I haven't fully embraced some of the other quirky songs I left off the Anarchy version of the album. The other songs are still classics . . . but I struggle listening to Revolution 9, Wild Honey Pie, Honey Pie, and Why Don't We Do It In The Road (as examples).

To my ears, they could have pared down 45+ minutes of material and added the rock version of Revolution and Hey Jude (which were released as a single right before the White Album came out),
Many, many years ago here we had an attempt to incorporate the Past Masters and non-LP Yellow Submarine songs into the existing LPs (in their British configurations, which is now pretty much canon) and get rid of the dross. You can imagine how that went on a board that had a 500 page thread on whether a hot dog is a sandwich or not.

I agree with you and The White Album would be better as a single disc. As constituted, I think it's - by far - their worst album musically (as historical document......that's another story). The "highs" are really high, but half of it contains my least favorite Beatles songs.

I just realized--- how did Bad Company/Bad Company not make this list??!
Played on just about every classic rock station- Bad Company, Can't Get Enough, Ready For Love, Movin' On, Rock Steady
and Seagull is a great deep cut. Thats 6 of the 8 original album tracks.
It should have been listed. They (& this LP, especially) were a massive presence on CR Radio. I think most of it is sonic mud, but leaving them out leaves a big hole in the playlist.

Luckily, we have 4 Grand Funk albums coming up so offset tim's omission.

Hmmm, I didn't think The White Album would be there, but I get it. Like many double albums, I feel like the first disc is a lot stronger despite the presence of that abomination known as Why Don't We Do It in the Road? (this song SUCKS), but the second disc does have some great stuff as well. Glass Onion, Happiness is a Warm Gun, Rocky Raccoon and Mother's Nature Son are my favorites, and I will give special nods to Martha My Dear and Dear Prudence as well.

Played on just about every classic rock station- Bad Company, Can't Get Enough, Ready For Love, Movin' On, Rock Steady
Because the actual albums, outside of the hits, are weak. The hits are great; I love most of them. But every album on this list has not only the hits but deep cuts of a pretty high quality. Bad Company doesn’t. There are a few other classic rock bands who also fall into this category- Grand Funk Railroad, Humble Pie, REO Speedwagon, The Doobie Brothers, Foreigner, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Steve Miller Band, etc. In each of these cases I didn’t think the albums were quite strong enough.

There are also bands with outstanding albums that didn’t make this list- for example:

Thin Lizzy: Jailbreak
Mott the Hoople: Mott
Pink Floyd: Animals

These are 3 of the best rock albums I have ever heard. But none of them produced enough classic rock radio hits to make this list.

Because the actual albums, outside of the hits, are weak. The hits are great; I love most of them. But every album on this list has not only the hits but deep cuts of a pretty high quality. Bad Company doesn’t. There are a few other classic rock bands who also fall into this category- Grand Funk Railroad, Humble Pie, REO Speedwagon, The Doobie Brothers, Foreigner, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Steve Miller Band, etc. In each of these cases I didn’t think the albums were quite strong enough.
To be fair, Humble Pie bought Penny Lane for just $50 and a case of beer. So at least they were good negotiators.

5. The Beatles- The Beatles (The White Album) (1968)

Classic rock radio hits: While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Back In the USSR, Blackbird, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Birthday, Helter Skelter, Dear Prudence
My stations also played Happiness is a Warm Gun, Rocky Raccoon and Everybody's Got Something to Hide...

Back In the U.S.S.R.
Strong rocker to open the album. It’s almost traditional 50s style rock ala Chuck Berry, and it’s great.

That's deliberate. It's title is a play on Chuck's Back in the U.S.A.

Dear Prudence
Always among my very favorite Beatles songs.

Ditto.
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Pleasant and happy pop tune by Paul. Earliest reference ever to cross-dressing in a song? Maybe.

Oh, Tim. Stuff like that goes back centuries. From a classic rock perspective, The Who's "I'm a Boy" was earlier.
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
George Harrison’s greatest song? Quite possibly. The Beatles best rock song ever? Quite possibly. Timeless and sublime. Eric Clapton’s guitar solo may be his best as well.

This is my #2 Beatles song so I guess I agree on all fronts.

Birthday
Meh. Boring rock song. Least interesting tune on the record, and the drums go on too long.

SMDH.
Savoy Truffle
I enjoy the horns on this one. Otherwise it’s just OK.

It's one of my favorite George songs. But krista hates it, so I guess you split the difference.

Revolution 9
Unlistenable.

It's my least-favorite Beatles "song" and I know I'm not alone on that.

I had this on my list as one of the nine "obvious" records in your top 10.

I disagree that the first BadCo falls in this category. I presume you really hate the two songs RW didn't mention? I also think the Doobies' The Captain and Me (radio hits: Long Train Runnin' and China Grove) should have made it. It's much better than almost any other "boogie rock" record from the early '70s.

I might be in the minority and get flamed on this one, but IMO, The Beatles album could have been a single LP, keeping the platinum material and (to me) leaving off some of the filler (which could have been used on one of their future albums). I could have lived without Side 4 altogether, and there are several other selections I could have done without. To my ears, they could have pared down 45+ minutes of material and added the rock version of Revolution and Hey Jude (which were released as a single right before the White Album came out), and this would have been a candidate as the greatest album of all time . . .

Ob-La-Di, Ob-Li-Da - 3:08
Rocky Raccoon - 3:33
Total: 50:12

Clearly, the album released as is is still phenomenal. I bought the CD the initial day it was released in 1987 and have played it to death since then. I haven't fully embraced some of the other quirky songs I left off the Anarchy version of the album. The other songs are still classics . . . but I struggle listening to Revolution 9, Wild Honey Pie, Honey Pie, and Why Don't We Do It In The Road (as examples).
I get the sentiment, but this omits too many good, even great, songs. It should have been a shorter double album. Exile on Main Street and London Calling are both double albums clocking in at under 70 minutes. Something like that would have been otherworldly.

Side 1:

Side 2:
Martha My Dear - 2:28
Don't Pass Me By - 3:51

Side 3:
Mother Nature's Son - 2:48
Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey - 2:24

Side 4:
Sexy Sadie - 3:15
I'm So Tired - 2:03
Savoy Truffle - 2:54
Cry Baby Cry - 3:02
I Will - 1:46

Total: 68:01

And there's still room to add Ob-La-Di and Rocky Raccoon and stay under 80 minutes if you must have them (I don't care for them). Or George's Not Guilty, which really should have made the record.

I love The Beatles but this easily my least favorite album.
There are many good but no truly great songs on it.
And it has too much Rocky Raccoon and filler type of junk for a band of this magnitude.

I will take Sgt. Pepper and A Hard Days Night over this one by a mile. :shrug:

5/6 in my predicted top 10, but some positions off. My predictions revealed so far:

10. Rumours - Fleetwood Mac
9. Exile on Main Street - Stones
7. Led Zeppelin II - LZ
4. The White Album - Beatles
3. Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

Missed:

Ziggy Stardust - Bowie

There are also bands with outstanding albums that didn’t make this list- for example:

These are 3 of the best rock albums I have ever heard. But none of them produced enough classic rock radio hits to make this list.
Agreed. Pink Floyd Animals is a fantastic album but unfortunately no "radio hits."

I thought 2 hits were the minimum? Jailbreak had the title track, "The Boys Are Back in Town" and "Cowboy Song" at least on classic rock radio.

I thought 2 hits were the minimum? Jailbreak had the title track, "The Boys Are Back in Town" and "Cowboy Song" at least on classic rock radio.
Depends on where you were. My stations only ever played The Boys…

Where was that?

Where was that?
Philly

Where was that?
Philly
Interesting. Where I grew up Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak and Bad Company - Self-titled were synonymous with classic rock radio.
I was going to wait to name any albums I felt were missed from Tim's Top 100, but I'm confident we won't see Sweet- Desolation Boulevard either.

Where was that?
Philly
Interesting. Where I grew up Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak and Bad Company - Self-titled were synonymous with classic rock radio.
I was going to wait to name any albums I felt were missed from Tim's Top 100, but I'm confident we won't see Sweet- Desolation Boulevard either.
I'm quite sure we won't.

My stations never played any Sweet. They did play 5/8 of BadCo s/t regularly, with Seagull thrown in on rare occasions.

I never heard Beatles on classic rock outside of Back in USSR. Oldies station and my parents turntable....yes.

Yeah I considered this because I love “Cowboy Song”- but I never heard it on the radio. Only “Boys”

Yep, Jailbreak had two mainstays on classic rock radio here, and three if some spots. Weird exclusion for sure.

And about the Bad Company debut, six of the eight songs were classic rock staples back in the day, so even if the two deep cuts weren't good (I admittedly do not remember them), who cares? When six of your eight songs are still getting played on the radio 20-30 years later, that is the definition of a classic.

4. The Who- Who’s Next (1971)

Classic rock radio hits: Baba O’ Riley, Won’t Get Fooled Again, Behind Blue Eyes, Bargain, The Song Is Over, Getting In Tune

One of the reviews for this album I’ve read said that it was the beginning of “arena rock”. Whether that’s true or not, the addition of Moog synthesizers certainly did give The Who a different improved sound and helped usher in 70s classic rock. And this album is, without a doubt, their strongest collection of material.

Baba O’ Riley
That power chord in the beginning, so familiar by now, yet still so awesome, leads us into one of the greatest songs in all of rock history. And I suspect it still will be regarded as such 100 years from now.

Bargain
One of my favorite Who songs. I especially love Keith Moon’s frantic drums and the bridge sung by Pete Townshend. Just a brilliant song.

Love Ain’t For Keeping
More great rock and roll, this one with a country edge. The guitar here is so so good.

My Wife
John Entwistle with his best tune ever (though I also adore “Trick of the Light” from Who Are You.) A terrific rocker.

The Song Is Over
The amazing songs just keep coming. This is one of Pete’s finest ever compositions, with a gorgeous yet complex melody. Immensely powerful and epic.

Getting In Tune
Another of my top 5 Who songs. I seem to be writing this a lot, but everything about this is totally brilliant IMO.

Going Mobile
This one is just great fun. High quality rock like everything else on this record.

Behind Blue Eyes
Obviously another of the great classics. Starts off as one of the best ballads you’re ever going to hear, and then turns into an outstanding rock song. The lyrics are a little whiny and self-indulgent but what the hell?

Won’t Get Fooled Again
And the album closes with this band’s candidate for the ultimate classic rock song. The lyrics remain pertinent and timeless, and the music…

Yep, Jailbreak had two mainstays on classic rock radio here, and three if some spots. Weird exclusion for sure.

And about the Bad Company debut, six of the eight songs were classic rock staples back in the day, so even if the two deep cuts weren't good (I admittedly do not remember them), who cares? When six of your eight songs are still getting played on the radio 20-30 years later, that is the definition of a classic.
Don't Let Me Down and The Way That I Choose are both slow, smooth blues outings with great vocals by Paul Rodgers. They're not as good as the other six songs and their sound isn't suited for classic rock radio, but they're not bad in any sense.

Classic rock radio hits: Baba O’ Riley, Won’t Get Fooled Again, Behind Blue Eyes, Bargain, The Song Is Over, Getting In Tune

One of the reviews for this album I’ve read said that it was the beginning of “arena rock”. Whether that’s true or not, the addition of Moog synthesizers certainly did give The Who a different improved sound and helped usher in 70s classic rock. And this album is, without a doubt, their strongest collection of material.

Baba O’ Riley
That power chord in the beginning, so familiar by now, yet still so awesome, leads us into one of the greatest songs in all of rock history. And I suspect it still will be regarded as such 100 years from now.

Bargain
One of my favorite Who songs. I especially love Keith Moon’s frantic drums and the bridge sung by Pete Townshend. Just a brilliant song.

Love Ain’t For Keeping
More great rock and roll, this one with a country edge. The guitar here is so so good.

My Wife
John Entwistle with his best tune ever (though I also adore “Trick of the Light” from Who Are You.) A terrific rocker.

The Song Is Over
The amazing songs just keep coming. This is one of Pete’s finest ever compositions, with a gorgeous yet complex melody. Immensely powerful and epic.

Getting In Tune
Another of my top 5 Who songs. I seem to be writing this a lot, but everything about this is totally brilliant IMO.

Going Mobile
This one is just great fun. High quality rock like everything else on this record.

Behind Blue Eyes
Obviously another of the great classics. Starts off as one of the best ballads you’re ever going to hear, and then turns into an outstanding rock song. The lyrics are a little whiny and self-indulgent but what the hell?

Won’t Get Fooled Again
And the album closes with this band’s candidate for the ultimate classic rock song. The lyrics remain pertinent and timeless, and the music…
My stations played everything except Love Ain't for Keeping. Getting in Tune not as often as the other seven.

This is one of my favorite albums and a definite contender for best rock record of all time. And that's with me not caring all that much for Love Ain't for Keeping. Imagine if that had been replaced with Pure and Easy and/or Naked Eye.

I picked The Song Is Over in the British Isles Countdown, but also could have gone with any of Baba, Bargain, BBE or WGFA. Baba was my #1 listened to track on Spotify this year because it kept showing up on the British Isles Countdown playlists!

This was one of the nine "obvious" albums that I predicted would be in your top 10.

Baba O’ Riley

Nitpicking since I'm glad to see this so high but Baba starts with the synthesizer. WGFA has the initial power chord.

6/7 in my predicted top 10, but some positions off. My predictions revealed so far:

10. Rumours - Fleetwood Mac
9. Exile on Main Street - Stones
8. Who's Next - Who
7. Led Zeppelin II - LZ
4. The White Album - Beatles
3. Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

Missed:

Ziggy Stardust - Bowie

If my predictions are right, the last three albums include one from 1969 and two from 1971.

My remaining 3 meet this criteria. They are obvious.

I knew this one was coming. I have long been in the "Who's Next is good, but overrated" camp. It doesn't help that I have never been overly wild about Won't Get Fooled Again (I find that synth way too chirpy and irritating), but I like The Who better in the 60s when their sound was raw and slammed you in the face, Keith Moon sounds too emasculated on Who's Next; there are too many times where it feels like he's lightly tapping on his drums. Baba O'Riley was certainly a WOW the first time I heard it for sure, however, and The Song Is Over has long been a sneaky favorite of mine as well. Good album, just not great.

Ok

Baba O’ Riley

Nitpicking since I'm glad to see this so high but Baba starts with the synthesizer. WGFA has the initial power chord.
I didn’t say it started with the power chord, I said there’s a power chord in the beginning- it comes a few seconds after the song starts, very similar to Pinball Wizard- except that the addition of the synth makes it much more powerful than Pinball Wizard.

I knew this one was coming. I have long been in the "Who's Next is good, but overrated" camp. It doesn't help that I have never been overly wild about Won't Get Fooled Again (I find that synth way too chirpy and irritating), but I like The Who better in the 60s when their sound was raw and slammed you in the face, Keith Moon sounds too emasculated on Who's Next; there are too many times where it feels like he's lightly tapping on his drums. Baba O'Riley was certainly a WOW the first time I heard it for sure, however, and The Song Is Over has long been a sneaky favorite of mine as well. Good album, just not great.
I probably only like 20-ish Who songs . . . but 7 of them are on Who’s Next. It’s the only studio album of theirs that I can listed all the way through. I like other isolated tracks more, but usually only a couple from the same album. I probably would have had it in my Top 5, but IMO it’s their strongest album overall. Again, I am not a huge fan, so I really am in no position to debate the merits of other albums. As I mentioned earlier, I also enjoy Live At Leeds but that wasn’t eligible here.

Ok

Baba O’ Riley

I didn’t say it started with the power chord, I said there’s a power chord in the beginning- it comes a few seconds after the song starts, very similar to Pinball Wizard- except that the addition of the synth makes it much more powerful than Pinball Wizard.
Hmm... Okay.

The whole song is great. I've always liked the isolated bass track

And this live version with Nigel Kennedy

Tim already issued a spoiler in his Let It Bleed post. "This is an outstanding, amazing album and if anyone wants to rank it as the Stones best I won’t argue. Even though I have two other records even higher"
So, we know there are 2 Stones albums in the top 10.
I won't name them, but I think I know which albums they are. I won't argue their inclusion in the top 10 either. They are deserved. IMVERYHUMBLEO.
@Hastur You want to shoot me your 10 and see if it matches any of the other four lists?
I meant to send this over to you, but forgot. I will be completely honest here and say I was WAY OFF.

3. Led Zeppelin- Untitled (Led Zeppelin IV) (1971)

Classic rock radio hits- the whole album

In recent years, whenever discussion of this album comes up, I’ve noticed two trends from the majority of people I talk to, both in real life and on the internet: the first is that folks tell me that, while they love this record, they love another Zeppelin album more (usually II or Physical Graffiti). The second trend is that people say they prefer side two of this album to side one.

I believe both of these trends basically come down to the same thing: these folks are tired of hearing “Stairway to Heaven”. Which I totally get. Even though it MAY have been replaced by “Bohemian Rhapsody” as the greatest classic rock song, “Stairway” remains the most ubiquitous classic rock song. Yet when @Anarchy99 had his recent poll of Zeppelin songs, it wasn’t even voted the best song from this album! Which is amazing even though I agree with that assessment.

Anyhow, I have this ranked above the other Zeppelin albums, and #3 on the overall list, because I regard it as the band’s masterpiece and their finest selection of material. There are no weak songs here, no mistakes that I can see. It’s artistic perfection.

Black Dog
Plant’s “Hey hey mama” opening line is one of the best in rock history. And then that guitar riff. This is outstanding hard rock.

Rock and Roll
It’s a basic blues line but man does this sound great. Bonhom shines here as elsewhere on this record. To be played very loud.

The Battle of Evermore
Over the decades I have run into a few people who don’t like this, to the point where they told me they actually skip over it. I don’t get that; I absolutely love this tune; but then I am a huge fan of British folk and Fairport Convention in particular. The interplay between Plant and Denny is similar to his outstanding collaborations with Alison Krauss years later.

Stairway to Heaven
I’ve written earlier that no band has ever been quite as great at shifting from acoustic to electric as this one. Stairway is the ultimate example of that. Overplayed as hell, but I can’t think of a song that deserves it more.

Misty Mountain Hop
The opening to this is completely mesmerizing. Like Black Dog, it’s among the best hard rock tunes you’re ever going to hear. So classic.

Four Sticks
Rinse and repeat from the last write up. This is simply hard rock awesomeness.

Going to California
One of the greatest acoustic rock tunes of all time. Pitch perfect in lyric and melody. I think the girl with the flower in her hair was Joni Mitchell.

When the Levee Breaks
And of course we save the best for last. A cover of an old blues song, both I and apparently many other people regard this as Led Zeppelin’s greatest song of all time. A big part of the reason for this is John Bonham whose drums sound otherworldly and godlike on this track. Beyond that, it’s one of the most menacing tunes you’re ever going to hear.

these folks are tired of hearing “Stairway to Heaven”
"Black Dog", "Rock and Roll", "Going To California", "Misty Mountain Hop", and "Levee" all got played way more than "Stairway" did on CR Radio in my area. It was like the DJs/programmers considered it too precious to play much and you'd mostly only hear it during special programming.

People have been retconning "Stairway is overplayed" for decades.

LZIV could have been the number 1 album on this list. I said that about LZII also, but looking at the list of songs again, LZIV is probably it.

I'd personally skip Stairway to Heaven when listening though. Just can't.

LZ IV was somewhat comfortably my favorite LZ album.
  • Stairway To Heaven - 3
  • When The Levee Breaks - 4
  • Black Dog - 5
  • The Battle Of Evermore - 13
  • Going to California - 14
  • Four Sticks - 23
  • Misty Mountain Hop - 25

I still love "Stairway To Heaven" but don't feel the need to spin it any any specific time. I just wait for the occasional listen on some radio station or another. I've heard it twice in recent weeks on Sirius XM after probably not hearing it for more than a year.

I was not well-versed on Led Zeppelin's material until high school. My gateway to "When The Levee Breaks" was The Beastie Boys' sample on "Rhymin' and Stealin'". See also the Beasties' "She's Crafty" and Zep's "The Ocean" (and yes, I didn't know at the time that Robert Plant's Top-40 entry "Tall Cool One" also sampled "The Ocean").

I had a thought this morning (that's pretty rare, but it sometimes still happens on occasion). I can't even imagine if I had to get into the classic rock genre well after the fact. If I were half my age, I would have missed all these classic acts and albums. Instead, my peak listening years would have been devoted to stuff coming out around 2010. I took a quick look at a list of albums that were released then and essentially threw up in my mouth. The best-selling albums in the rock realm were Imagine Dragons, Twenty-One Pilots, Coldplay, and Maroon 5. No offense to any of those artists, but they really aren't my thing. Good on them for becoming rich and famous, but not my bag.

Almost all the artists on Tim's list were still around when I got into music in my formative years. I remember when most of these albums came out, hearing them on the radio, and still remember what albums came out in relation to the others. If I were one of my kids, I'm not sure I would 1) be as into music (given what's out there today) and 2) not sure I would be compelled to have to research old bands to find things I like. I still chuckle when I think back to when my kids were little, and they asked me if I knew that Paul McCartney was in a band a long time ago. I said of course, he was in The Beatles. They said no . . . he was in a band called Wings . . . and they asked who The Beatles were. And that brings us full circle to another Beatles album in the final two selections.

Last edited:
If I were one of my kids, I'm not sure I would 1) be as into music (given what's out there today) and 2) not sure I would be compelled to have to research old bands to find things I like.

If you have any teenagers or college-age kids in your life, pick their brains about this topic a little bit. You may be surprised.

My daughter (college junior) is into not much 21st-century music -- she likes some Bruno Mars, Katy Perry, George Ezra, Sam Smith and a few other odds and ends, but that's it for this century. Her favorites right now, through, are The Kinks, Pink Floyd (including the Syd Barret material), Blondie, Talking Heads, The Cure, Oingo Boingo, Bon-Scott-era AC/DC and a bunch more I'm forgetting. She also had gone through a Beatles phase in her early teens.

Users who are viewing this thread