What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Classic Rock Albums of All Time: #1. Sticky Fingers (2 Viewers)

That's probably true, @Uruk-Hai, but if you are someone whose favorite genre is rock, most rock music does seem to be white guys with guitars (there are exceptions of course), so it is likely more accidental than a conscious decision to seek out a certain color or gender. I always say I am much more of a rock guy than a metal one, and doing a mental scan in my head, 95% of my favorite rock bands are a bunch of white guys. That is not by design. I just listen to what I like. Most of the rock music I like is by white guys. I love all kinds of 80s pop, by both men and women (growing up in the 80s is probably why I am a sucker for a good pop song, even though I am a rocker at heart), and even though I do listen to some modern pop artists like Taylor Swift and Lana Del Rey, rock is still the dominant genre when it comes to my collection and what gets the most time in my CD player (or the 2023 equivalent of a CD player lol).

That's probably true, @Uruk-Hai, but if you are someone whose favorite genre is rock, most rock music does seem to be white guys with guitars (there are exceptions of course), so it is likely more accidental than a conscious decision to seek out a certain color or gender. I always say I am much more of a rock guy than a metal one, and doing a mental scan in my head, 95% of my favorite rock bands are a bunch of white guys. That is not by design. I just listen to what I like. Most of the rock music I like is by white guys. I love all kinds of 80s pop, by both men and women (growing up in the 80s is probably why I am a sucker for a good pop song, even though I am a rocker at heart), and even though I do listen to some modern pop artists like Taylor Swift and Lana Del Rey, rock is still the dominant genre when it comes to my collection and what gets the most time in my CD player (or the 2023 equivalent of a CD player lol).
I hear you, amigo. No offense intended and I hope you didn't take my comment as an attack on you.

I just think there's a subconscious bias - especially among our demographic here - that's been drilled into our heads over generations. We don't even know it's there. I dunno........

I try to avoid splitting genre hairs because there are more exceptions than there are rules.

I don’t check in here for a few hours and come back to find a pack of 13 year old girls in a cat fight over Tay Tay. I thought I was in the classic rock thread. Had to double check if I clicked on the wrong thread.
It's been a while since you've started a "Best Record Over The Last 17 Weeks" thread in the SP.

I hear you, amigo. No offense intended and I hope you didn't take my comment as an attack on you.

I just think there's a subconscious bias - especially among our demographic here - that's been drilled into our heads over generations. We don't even know it's there. I dunno........

I try to avoid splitting genre hairs because there are more exceptions than there are rules.
All good, no offense taken whatsoever. We're all just talking here. :cool:

As I get older, I find I just don't care about genres or styles or whatever anymore (not that that was ever my main focus, but I gave it more attention when I was younger than I should have). Do I like it or not? That is all I care about. Good music comes in many different forms.

Poptimism became the dominant musically correct ideology and leaves its infernal stink on these very boards. I won't say who I'm thinking of, but it's obvious given her fervent supporters.
As much as I am blah about a lot of the music on this here list - it's all still better than she who must not be named in this thread. The epitome of manufactured pop phenomenon, a blight.
If you guys are talking about Taylor Swift you’re completely completely off base. As much as I love the albums I’m reviewing here, I would put up Folklore and Evermore against almost all of them- perhaps the top 20 on my list are slightly better-maybe- but that’s about it.

The backlash against Taylor is really silly.
Are you a big enough fan to know her drummer and bass guitar player?
No, but that’s true for the majority of solo artists I really like. My favorite solo artist of all time is Bob Dylan and I don’t think I could name a single drummer he used (except maybe Levon Helm once or twice?)

Poptimism became the dominant musically correct ideology and leaves its infernal stink on these very boards. I won't say who I'm thinking of, but it's obvious given her fervent supporters.
As much as I am blah about a lot of the music on this here list - it's all still better than she who must not be named in this thread. The epitome of manufactured pop phenomenon, a blight.
If you guys are talking about Taylor Swift you’re completely completely off base. As much as I love the albums I’m reviewing here, I would put up Folklore and Evermore against almost all of them- perhaps the top 20 on my list are slightly better-maybe- but that’s about it.

No, but that’s true for the majority of solo artists I really like. My favorite solo artist of all time is Bob Dylan and I don’t think I could name a single drummer he used (except maybe Levon Helm once or twice?)
I think that's where the comparison between albums on this list and Swift's fall apart. Personally I'm not a solo person. I'm never going to put Lennon, McCartney, or Plant or the same level of the Beatles and Zeppelin. Personally for something to be considered great rock, I want the guitar and drums to carry the importance of the lead singer. Swift may be more talented than most on your list, but between the pop tendencies and heavy focus on the lead artist the final product falls short for me.

I think that's where the comparison between albums on this list and Swift's fall apart. Personally I'm not a solo person. I'm never going to put Lennon, McCartney, or Plant or the same level of the Beatles and Zeppelin. Personally for something to be considered great rock, I want the guitar and drums to carry the importance of the lead singer. Swift may be more talented than most on your list, but between the pop tendencies and heavy focus on the lead artist the final product falls short for me.
This is such a bizarre take to my feeble brain. I'd be very careful about what a "band" did in the studio.

2. The Beatles- Abbey Road (1969)

Classic Rock Radio Hits: The entire album

I don’t know if this is the Beatles best album of all time (I go back and forth between this and Revolver) but it’s their best classic rock album; Revolver is from another time period. While so many people talk about the medley (with good reason, it’s brilliant), I actually think side 1 is a little stronger than side 2.

Come Together
John Lennon’s greatest rock song? This or Revolution for me. And it’s up there with Get Back as the Beatles best hard rock effort, IMO.

Something
George Harrison at his songwriting height. Would have to be in the top 5 of any list of Harrison songs maybe higher.

Maxwell’s Silver Hammer
Paul with one of his most playful music hall tunes. I prefer this the original version to the Steve Martin cover (though I kind of like that too.)

Oh! Darling
Great vocal performance by Paul. He sings his guts out here in Little Richard fashion.

Octopus’ Garden
For once Ringo got to write and sing a song and it’s a lot of fun. Simple tune but catchy.

I Want You (She’s So Heavy)
Mesmerizing slow blues tune. Guitars and harmonies are simply outstanding here.

Here Comes the Sun
A timeless classic by George Harrison and like Something, one of his best ever songs. Among the many great covers of this tune, I really like the Richie Havens version.

Because
As a kid and teenager I really didn’t like this; I thought it was strange. It has grown on me so much over the years that I now regard it as one of the best songs on the record.

You Never Give Me Your Money
The medley begins. A gorgeous piano tune which turns into a great rock song. The middle section is a little like A Day in the Life.

Sun King
Whenever I hear this I always expect them to start singing Don’t Let Me Down. But then it goes in a different direction.

Mean Mr. Mustard
I really like this, wish it was a longer song.

Polythene Pam
See directly above. Great guitar solo.

She Came In Through the Bathroom Window
I’m gonna take **** for this (especially if @krista4 is around) but I prefer the Joe Cocker version. This is terrific writing though.

Golden Slumbers
A Paul McCartney classic. One of his greatest contributions to the band.

Carry That Weight
Love how he wraps the whole medley together. So brilliant.

The End
Worst drum solo ever IMO. But the guitars are awesome.

Her Majesty
Love this short ditty.

This is such a bizarre take to my feeble brain. I'd be very careful about what a "band" did in the studio.
I don't feel it makes a lot of sense to compare Swift's music to a lot of the classic rock being discussed simply because they are two different animals (stylistically). Swift's era where she rocked the most was probably 2008-2012 (the original Speak Now has the most rock of any album she has done), but even that was still very vocal/lyric driven more often than not. I doubt anyone listens to her for Dazed and Confused-like jams, lol

I do feel that Abbey Road is the best Beatles record, so I am good with it being number 2 here. Great album from start to finish, with zero fat. I don't get why a lot of fans hate Maxwell's Silver Hammer, but it's more than worthy like the rest. If I could cheat and consider the Side 2 medley one song, it would be my favorite Beatles song (by a nose over A Day in the Life).

I don’t know if this is the Beatles best album of all time (I go back and forth between this and Revolver) but it’s their best classic rock album; Revolver is from another time period. While so many people talk about the medley (with good reason, it’s brilliant), I actually think side 1 is a little stronger than side 2.

Come Together
John Lennon’s greatest rock song? This or Revolution for me. And it’s up there with Get Back as the Beatles best hard rock effort, IMO.

Something
George Harrison at his songwriting height. Would have to be in the top 5 of any list of Harrison songs maybe higher.

Maxwell’s Silver Hammer
Paul with one of his most playful music hall tunes. I prefer this the original version to the Steve Martin cover (though I kind of like that too.)

Oh! Darling
Great vocal performance by Paul. He sings his guts out here in Little Richard fashion.

Octopus’ Garden
For once Ringo got to write and sing a song and it’s a lot of fun. Simple tune but catchy.

I Want You (She’s So Heavy)
Mesmerizing slow blues tune. Guitars and harmonies are simply outstanding here.

Here Comes the Sun
A timeless classic by George Harrison and like Something, one of his best ever songs. Among the many great covers of this tune, I really like the Richie Havens version.

Because
As a kid and teenager I really didn’t like this; I thought it was strange. It has grown on me so much over the years that I now regard it as one of the best songs on the record.

The medley begins. A gorgeous piano tune which turns into a great rock song. The middle section is a little like A Day in the Life.

Sun King
Whenever I hear this I always expect them to start singing Don’t Let Me Down. But then it goes in a different direction.

Mean Mr. Mustard
I really like this, wish it was a longer song.

Polythene Pam
See directly above. Great guitar solo.

I’m gonna take **** for this (especially if @krista4 is around) but I prefer the Joe Cocker version. This is terrific writing though.

Golden Slumbers
A Paul McCartney classic. One of his greatest contributions to the band.

Carry That Weight
Love how he wraps the whole medley together. So brilliant.

The End

Her Majesty
Love this short ditty.
For tim's time frame, this is the best Beatles' LP (I think A Hard Day's Night is better). There are zero songs on this record I don't love, except Maxwell's - which I "only" like.

I’m not even sure if the XM Beatles station plays all of these tunes regularly much less a classic rock station. At least pretend to be objective or rename the thread top 100 classic rock and Beatles albums.

Watching Get Back, practically on an infinite loop, the glimpses into what would become Abbey Road are mesmerizing. Sure, Maxwell’s Silver Hammer is trite. But watching the boys work out Her Majesty, Carry That Weight, Mean Mr Mustard, Oh Darling, etc—it’s gold.
To me, the fascinating part about the Golden Slumbers medley is that it's never been performed. Those 8 tracks on the album were a bunch of studio snippets that they were able to stitch together in the studio after the fact. All those musical tidbits were not intended to be a medley, and they never were really fully developed into songs. The Beatles never played it straight through, rehearsed it, or performed it live. Paul has played pieces of it in his live sets, but to this day the only place to hear the entire thing is listening to the 16-minute concoction on the album. I'm hoping that at some point Paul will play it in its entirety (or there is a version recorded and tucked away somewhere).

Very true. When I watched the documentary about the session musicians "The Wrecking Crew" I was surprised how many bands used them on their albums. The Beach Boys was one I remember.

I’m not even sure if the XM Beatles station plays all of these tunes regularly much less a classic rock station. At least pretend to be objective or rename the thread top 100 classic rock and Beatles albums.
I don't understand this and other similar objections. This is Tim's thread. He isn't new around here and I think he has made his tastes and preferences quite well known.
You can disagree with his inclusions and rankings, but I don't think you should be surprised.

Watching Get Back, practically on an infinite loop, the glimpses into what would become Abbey Road are mesmerizing. Sure, Maxwell’s Silver Hammer is trite. But watching the boys work out Her Majesty, Carry That Weight, Mean Mr Mustard, Oh Darling, etc—it’s gold.
The other Beatles were getting really pissed at Paul for his fixation on the anvil part of Maxwell. They considered it a throwaway song and they wanted to move on. Paul was obsessed with it.

Tim mentioned Steve Martin's cover of the song and I had to look it up. It was part of the 1978 Sgt. Peppers film with the Bee Gees and Peter Frampton. Thankfully I have never seen the film or heard the soundtrack.

Last edited:
To me, the fascinating part about the Golden Slumbers medley is that it's never been performed. Those 8 tracks on the album were a bunch of studio snippets that they were able to stitch together in the studio after the fact. All those musical tidbits were not intended to be a medley, and they never were really fully developed into songs. The Beatles never played it straight through, rehearsed it, or performed it live. Paul has played pieces of it in his live sets, but to this day the only place to hear the entire thing is listening to the 16-minute concoction on the album. I'm hoping that at some point Paul will play it in its entirety (or there is a version recorded and tucked away somewhere).
The Beatles never performed the medley live, but they only performed once live after 1966 and that was the Apple rooftop "concert" in 1969.

Very true. When I watched the documentary about the session musicians "The Wrecking Crew" I was surprised how many bands used them on their albums. The Beach Boys was one I remember.
The Byrds were another.

I don't understand this and other similar objections. This is Tim's thread. He isn't new around here and I think he has made his tastes and preferences quite well known.
You can disagree with his inclusions and rankings, but I don't think you should be surprised.
I’m disagreeing that ALL of Abbey Road was making regular appearances on Classic Rock Stations.

Trust me I’m not surprised at the Beatles littering the top of the rankings or that he considers Taylor Swift a rocker.

Early in this thread, tim and the house were discussing 'classic rock radio' as a format and how it grew/changed from its early-1980s beginnings.

Around here, classic rock radio started to get really popular among my high-school cohort circa 1987-88. During those years and in that same local cohort, acts like The Doors, Cream, Jimi Hendrix, and The Beatles were as big (or bigger for some) as then-current hitmakers like The Beastie Boys and INXS.

The Beatles post-1964 material was a staple of our local classic rock radio format at that time. Their many 1964 US releases -- six Billboard #1s, the associated B-sides (which were hits in their own right), plus several other Top-40 tunes -- all of that was, even back in the late 1980s, relegated to 'oldies' status.

This state of affairs continued into the early 1990s on our classic rock station. When I was at LSU, Baton Rouge had two classic-rock stations. One was more or less forward-looking within the confines of that particular radio format -- they'd play The Cars, Tom Petty, Supertramp, even Rush (nothing classified 'heavy metal', though -- not yet). The other CR station was more conservative and reached back into the mid-1960s more regularly. As recently as ~1992, the conservative CR station still had a 'Breakfast With The Beatles' program every Sunday morning and would sometimes play full Beatles albums (never anything before 1965's Help!, though).

Wherever I've lived since then -- Jackson, MS, Baton Rouge (again), and New Orleans -- there was always a classic rock station. But by the mid-1990s, all of those CR stations went the way of the forward-looking station described above, accreting even more artists/songs as time marched on. And as The Police, Talking Heads, and AC/DC were added, acts like The Beatles and The Doors were kind of left behind.

In sum: The Beatles were undoubtedly a pillar of the classic rock radio format for a good decade. Over time, however, they aged out.

I’m disagreeing that ALL of Abbey Road was making regular appearances on Classic Rock Stations.

This would vary a lot from CR station to CR station, though. Especially in the era of independent CR playlists curated by DJs.

Around here, these were the frequently-spun Abbey Road tracks (excluding special programming):

Come Together

Something

Octopus’ Garden
(not whole lot, but it squeaks in)

Here Comes the Sun

The Medley:

Sun King
Mean Mr. Mustard
Polythene Pam
Golden Slumbers
Carry That Weight
The End

This would vary a lot from CR station to CR station, though. Especially in the era of independent CR playlists curated by DJs.

Around here, these were the frequently-spun Abbey Road tracks (excluding special programming):

Come Together

Something

Octopus’ Garden
(not whole lot, but it squeaks in)

Here Comes the Sun

The Medley:

Sun King
Mean Mr. Mustard
Polythene Pam
Golden Slumbers
Carry That Weight
The End
Maybe I missed those roots. Early 80s in high school we were buying albums and listening to pirated cassettes. No one ever played the Beatles. My radio time was listening to the ball game. I transitioned to country and didn’t come back to rock to later in college to make studying Heat Transfer and Fluids palatable. By that time I never remember the Beatles getting play. I do remember a lot of Beatles tunes being played in the 70s on the stations that spun and mix of pop, disco, top 40.

I might have mentioned this at some point: I was a percussionist in my college's concert band back in the 70s, and whenever I'd listen to 'side B' of Abbey Road, I'd imagine a set-up where the concert band was split on the main stage and along the wings; centered on the stage were a couple of guitarists, a drummer, and a small choir; in the corners of the balcony were solo trumpet players. Many years later, while working at a different school, I talked to the band director, a friend of mine who was very creative, about all this. He loved the idea, but said the cost of getting access to the Beatles' songs was prohibitive. Alas...

I can't believe kids aren't listening to the music their grandfathers grew up on? Come on this isn't hard to figure out. The 60s were 60 years ago. In the 80s and 90s where you lamenting the death of music from the 20s and 30s? Also classic rock has had quote a hold on popular music for a long time. I don't feel bad if it fades to the background. TBH, I am sick of 90% of it. I don't like T Swift either but if I never heard another Zeppelin or Pink Floyd song again, I would be fine.

Sorry for yesterday's "weirdness," everybody. Hopefully we can get back to tim's countdown instead of debates that tend to sidetrack the point of the thread. I'm guilty of that. Peace.
whoops....ok here is my other sidetrack: Is Abbey Road really classic rock? It's really really eclectic and not an album many of the classic rock stations around here drew from for their Beatles songs (unless it was one of their Beatles A to Z specials)

Sorry for yesterday's "weirdness," everybody. Hopefully we can get back to tim's countdown instead of debates that tend to sidetrack the point of the thread. I'm guilty of that. Peace.
whoops....ok here is my other sidetrack: Is Abbey Road really classic rock? It's really really eclectic and not an album many of the classic rock stations around here drew from for their Beatles songs (unless it was one of their Beatles A to Z specials)
Seems to me that Come Together is the most played Beatles song on the current Detroit area classic rock stations

Seems to me that Come Together is the most played Beatles song on the current Detroit area classic rock stations
Here Comes the Sun and Something get a decent amount of play on classic rock stations/channels I listen to as well.

3. Led Zeppelin- Untitled (Led Zeppelin IV) (1971)

Classic rock radio hits- the whole album

Consistent with my radio experience, though Battle of Evermore appeared less often than the others. By the '80s, Stairway wasn't "overplayed". I would hear Black Dog, Rock and Roll, Misty Mountain Hop and When the Levee Breaks much more often. Stairway was more a "special occasion" type of thing. A few times a week instead of every day.

I didn't care for Battle of Evermore as a teen but I love it now.

In Anarchy's Zeppelin countdown, I had Levee at #5, Stairway at #13 and Rock and Roll at #19.

I think Physical is their best album but I can see the case for this one.

This was one of the nine "obvious" albums I picked for the top 10.

I had a thought this morning (that's pretty rare, but it sometimes still happens on occasion). I can't even imagine if I had to get into the classic rock genre well after the fact. If I were half my age, I would have missed all these classic acts and albums. Instead, my peak listening years would have been devoted to stuff coming out around 2010. I took a quick look at a list of albums that were released then and essentially threw up in my mouth. The best-selling albums in the rock realm were Imagine Dragons, Twenty-One Pilots, Coldplay, and Maroon 5. No offense to any of those artists, but they really aren't my thing. Good on them for becoming rich and famous, but not my bag.
And this is why kids are into YouTube influencers and video games instead of rock and roll.

Only half kidding.

Ditto in my experience -- though I guess they didn't play Her Majesty unless they were doing all of side 2.

I actually think side 1 is a little stronger than side 2.

Can't agree when Maxwell's Silver Hammer and Octopus' Garden are on side 1.

Octopus’ Garden

He wrote and sang Don't Pass Me By on the White Album.

The End

Ringo hates drum solos and didn't want to do it. It's kind of like an anti-solo.

This is one of my favorite albums of all time and as with you, it rotates with Revolver as my #1 Beatles album. It was the first rock album I played for my son. He really likes Come Together and Here Comes the Sun.

This was one of the nine "obvious" albums I picked for the top 10.

Maybe I missed those roots. Early 80s in high school we were buying albums and listening to pirated cassettes. No one ever played the Beatles.

I was in high school about 5 or 6 years after you, in a different radio market.

The early 80s were grades 5-8 for me ... and yes, I remember taping lots of 45s and albums to cassettes. Taping songs off of Casey Kasem's Top 40 program on Sunday mornings, as well. Not a lot of underground stuff was hitting my radar then, but I was nevertheless having a good time with the music I was being exposed to.

It blows my mind that Paul originally envisioned Carry That Weight as a Ringo vocal.

I can't believe kids aren't listening to the music their grandfathers grew up on? Come on this isn't hard to figure out.

Today's kids are all over the place, as far as I can tell. For sure among my daughter's cohort.

My son's crew doesn't reach as far back in time as my daughter and her friends, but his group do pull a good bit from the 80s (Talking Heads seems to have universal appeal). What surprises me (probably shouldn't, though) is that while my son and his friends are into a lot of 21st century rap and hip-hop ... they don't seem to be much into 80s rap/hip-hop. Is there such a thing as "Dad rap"? I guess there is, and why wouldn't there be?

I might have mentioned this at some point: I was a percussionist in my college's concert band back in the 70s, and whenever I'd listen to 'side B' of Abbey Road, I'd imagine a set-up where the concert band was split on the main stage and along the wings; centered on the stage were a couple of guitarists, a drummer, and a small choir; in the corners of the balcony were solo trumpet players. Many years later, while working at a different school, I talked to the band director, a friend of mine who was very creative, about all this. He loved the idea, but said the cost of getting access to the Beatles' songs was prohibitive. Alas...
You can tell the budget of Minions was excessive because they used THREE Beatles songs.

You can tell the budget of Minions was excessive because they used THREE Beatles songs.

I wonder if those rights were already in-house (NBC-Universal > Comcast > Illumination Entertainment)?

NBC-Universal was formed in 2004 from a massive multi-company merger. Not sure how to check this quickly, but I wouldn't be surprised if some Beatles rights were included in there somewhere.

I wonder if those rights were already in-house (NBC-Universal > Comcast > Illumination Entertainment)?

NBC-Universal was formed in 2004 from a massive multi-company merger. Not sure how to check this quickly, but I wouldn't be surprised if some Beatles rights were included in there somewhere.

Ask, and you'll get a quick Google search and corresponding article.

Users who are viewing this thread