What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (11 Viewers)

something feels odd with Gio's situation right now. He was coming of back to back solid performances and then does not get a second of playing time in two straight games.

I don't know how coaches keep their sanity when dealing with Leao. There are times he looks like a legit top 5 player in the world and times when he just completely disappears for long periods.

looks like Pulisic popped his hamstring.....
If he actually injured it, it won't be a long injury. He was walking fine after the game. Hopefully it was just a cramp. Even if it's a minor hammy pull, he likely misses the nation's league games. I'd hope we can beat Trinidad and Tobago without him, but given our history there... it'd be scary. LOL.

Did anybody watch the Milan game?

I had read Musah was going to play the 6... Curious if that's the case and how he did.

Oh oh ......

==========

PSRA Officials

@PSRAofficials

After the Nov 4th NYRB/FC Cincinnati match, a player gained unauthorized entry into the Officials’ locker room & was forcibly removed by stadium security while acting in an aggressive & hostile manner

Jonathan Tannenwald
@thegoalkeeper

Multiple sources with knowledge of the matter tell The Inquirer that Matt Miazga is the player in question.
In what I assume is related back story, in that game Miazga picked up a what was said to be a really dumb (on his part) yellow which is going to cause him to miss the Conference semi final game.
He picked up one for shouldering a guy after a hard foul on another FCC player. Then, in the PK shootout, after making his, he loiters in the box making the “heart” sign towards the crowd (and I don’t think they were FCC supporters).

He was absolutely vital and maybe the single most important part of the past two seasons of success for FCC, but he really is a nimrod.

So with 3 yellow cards in two games, even though the PK one apparently exists in nevernever land somewhere and didn’t turn into a red, he’s out for the semifinal (and probably multiple games into next year if he really crashed the officials locker room).

I had read Musah was going to play the 6... Curious if that's the case and how he did.
He did play the 6 in a double pivot in what was pretty much a 4-2-3-1. Played very well IMO. Was overshadowed in midfield by RLC, who had the best game I've ever seen him play(although he played as the forward guy and more like a 8/10 hybrid). Still, Milan's midfield definitely outplayed PSG's and was one of the biggest reasons Milan won.(Along with Pulisic, Reijnders, and Calabria giving Mbappe essentially zero room to work)

No CP. No Weah either iirc? That's rough. Should still hammer them, but "should" scares the hell out of me.
Still not sure about Pulisic. Lets hope it was just a cramp. It was mentioned earlier that he was walking fine after the game so hopefully nothing too serious.

Weah appears to be definitely missing the T&T games. And yes, while I agree we should crush them even with out Pulisic and Weah, it never feels good to be missing both starting wingers.

What is a John Tolkin and is it any good? We're linked with him, could clearly just be paper talk
Solid left back, plays for NY Red Bulls and had a strong season this year.

He has a decent amount of technique and a strong frame but is only 5'7". He is probably quicker than he is outright fast.

He is a bit of a character, constantly changing hair styles, etc.

At 21, this would be a good time for him to move to an upper Championship level team, lower EPL team, so the move seems like it could fit. He won't lack in confidence to move but you know these moves are rife with variables.

What is a John Tolkin and is it any good? We're linked with him, could clearly just be paper talk

He has a decent amount of technique and a strong frame but is only 5'7". He is probably quicker than he is outright fast.

At 21, this would be a good time for him to move to an upper Championship level team, lower EPL team, so the move seems like it could fit. He won't lack in confidence to move but you know these moves are rife with variables.
Cheers. LB/LWB is a bit of a tricky spot for us, our main choice has been injured long term, the backup also got injured early in the season forcing us to loan someone in from Leicester who's been a bit hit and miss. Depending on where we stand (if indeed there's any truth to the rumour at all), both with players coming back and with the table, I could imagine this is one where we immediately loan him back to where he's at now through till the summer, then see where he stands for 24/25

Cheers. LB/LWB is a bit of a tricky spot for us, our main choice has been injured long term, the backup also got injured early in the season forcing us to loan someone in from Leicester who's been a bit hit and miss. Depending on where we stand (if indeed there's any truth to the rumour at all), both with players coming back and with the table, I could imagine this is one where we immediately loan him back to where he's at now through till the summer, then see where he stands for 24/25
A purchase and loan back to MLS is common for younger players, although if memory serves, those are more typically related to summer buys and then the player can just finish out the MLS season which works out for the MLS club. Having a player come on loan for just the first half of a season is much less common I believe.

There is no reason it can't work mind you, but may take a little longer to negotiate I bet.

Yeah, it's certainly not usual but no reason to think it might not be feasible. Could even be the case where we say we then loan someone else out to NY for the remainder of their season, we've got a very decent prospect who's currently on loan at Wycombe and that would be a logical ballpark for next step up. But we'll see

whew, looks like we dodged a bullet

=================
Pietro Mazzara
@PietroMazzara

Translated from Italian:
Christian #Pulisic : the MRI ruled out injuries to the left thigh flexor muscles. Last night he only suffered a tightening. His situation will be monitored day to day in view of the next game against Lecce where he could start.
Makes sense to me that a guy with a history of hammy issues would freak out about a hard cramp.

I'll add he's on the fringe/brink of USMNT, despite quality older guys ahead of him.

NYRBs last game game of the season came down to a PK at the death to determine whether they made the playoffs or not. Who did they turn to to take it? jRR Tolkin.

Saw something from the USMNT ONLY Facebook page that Valentin castellanos is considering switching to the US. Seems like nonsense (his only tie is that he played for nycfc for a few years and got his green card) but would obviously be a big pickup.

Doesn't look like he ever got a senior call up for Argentina

Edit: looks like it's making the rounds on Twitter as well

Saw something from the USMNT ONLY Facebook page that Valentin castellanos is considering switching to the US. Seems like nonsense (his only tie is that he played for nycfc for a few years and got his green card) but would obviously be a big pickup.

Doesn't look like he ever got a senior call up for Argentina

Edit: looks like it's making the rounds on Twitter as well
This is an interesting rumor. Taty is the guy who scored 4 times against Real Madrid last year.

But what I don't understand is how can he switch when he is not a US citizen.....? He lives in Italy now so I don't think he can do the normal green card to citizenship path. But I have never understood the citizenship rules.

Looks like he joined NYC in the summer of 18. Then he left in the summer of 22. So basically 4 years of residency which doesn't seem to be enough.

The rumor is that he'd come back in March to sign his papers but I still don't see how the timelines works. He doesn't live here anymore

I haven't been as in love with Musah as most here but I thought he played great in that game/role. Maybe the best I've seen him throughout the entire course of a game (IE it wasn't like he just had one really superb run that stood out and made him look better).

Other than the wide open shot from the penalty spot that he put right into the GK's chest, of course. But we already knew Musah is allergic to scoring.

Overall he was very involved. Constantly cleaned up loose balls. And was even very active in the final 3rd.

Looks like he joined NYC in the summer of 18. Then he left in the summer of 22. So basically 4 years of residency which doesn't seem to be enough.

The rumor is that he'd come back in March to sign his papers but I still don't see how the timelines works. He doesn't live here anymore
Y’all know my love for Taty’s game. If we are playing Gregg’s system, he’s better than Balogun for it.

Maybe he kept a residence here. I guess that wouldn’t be unheard of (the rumors were he loved it here), but the residency angle seems like a deal breaker unless he comes back on breaks, etc.

I guess the other angle would be that for 2022-23 he was technically out on loan, so maybe there’s some angle there for the fifth year. If he comes back within 6 months after that (ie six months from July 2023), maybe he hasn’t technically been outside the US for residency.
And if this is the play he’d seemingly have to file by the end of the year.

Both seem like a stretch though.

Dest went the full 90 at LB. Tillman came on in the 66th and Pepi came on in injury time. PSV won 1-0 over Lens.

The win puts PSV in 2nd place in the group (via a tie breaker).

I’ll also add that (and I may be misremembering this), but one of the reasons he stuck around for that 4th year was for this scenario. NYCFC weren’t getting their number, but they also weren’t looking to move him (he he didn’t really want to be moved). I do know he didn’t have a great experience on the Argentine youth team.

And I guess if you can claim residency for citizenship purposes based on it being a loan, that may work for a FIFA one time switch as well.

Last edited:
I’ll also add that (and I may be misremembering this), but one of the reasons he stuck around for that 4th year was for this scenario. NYCFC weren’t getting their number, but they also weren’t looking to move him (he he didn’t really want to be moved). I do know he didn’t have a great experience on the Argentine youth team.

And I guess if you can claim residency for citizenship purposes based on it being a loan, that may work for a FIFA one time switch as well.
I believe with a green card, you're eligible for citizenship after 3 years. He got his green card in 2020, so he's eligible by the end of this year. The requirements for it are keeping a residency and living in the US at least 50% of the time. He would qualify for both of those, even with the loan and the sale in July I believe... so he should be able to apply for citizenship.

No idea how the rules work for FIFA though.

I believe with a green card, you're eligible for citizenship after 3 years. He got his green card in 2020, so he's eligible by the end of this year. The requirements for it are keeping a residency and living in the US at least 50% of the time. He would qualify for both of those, even with the loan and the sale in July I believe... so he should be able to apply for citizenship.

No idea how the rules work for FIFA though.
It is 3 years if married to a US citizen. If not, it is still 5 years.

I don't think he is married but I don't know for sure.

I think I would rather see Tillman at the 10 and Gio on the wing than seeing either Aaronson or Zendejas start at wing.

Gio was listed as a midfielder though.

With both starting wingers out, seems like this would be a great time for a 3-5-2 and let Dest and Jedi provide the width but GGG does not seem to like that formation. Pepi and Balogun seem like they could play together.

Last edited:
Here is what a 3-5-2 could look like:

............................Turner
..........Robinson.....Ream........Richards
......................Musah.....Weston
Dest............................................................Jedi
...................................Gio
....................Balogun............Pepi

I put Ream in the middle because he is the best passer of the three and protects him from getting isolated outside 1v1.

some GGG comments from Sciaretta
==============

Berhalter spoke about Paxten Aaronson. He said the injuries opened the door for him "I've been in regular contact with Eintracht's sporting department. He's doing well... We see him as a winger similar to Christian in that he's a winger that can get into the penalty box."

Berhalter went on to add that he sees Paxten as having a very bright future

Berhalter: "I speak to Luca [Koleosho] regularly... everything happens in due time. We'll see what happens."

Gregg Berhalter on the lack of minutes for the #USMNT GKs"Ethan's situation is temporary. We're hoping that in the winter things get sorted. For Matt, this is about playing in the best league in the world and this is about him being mentally strong enough to get through this"

Gregg Berhalter on Tim Weah and Christian Pulisic: "Both of them, it's not too serious. We see them back on track to play soon, but it's too soon in this timeline"

Have we had brothers play together on the national team before?

I can't remember what I had for dinner last night but I remembered this post from 3 years ago when I saw both Aaronson's on the roster :)

We never got a definitive answer to your question when you asked it, but I saw today that it has happened once before for the US when Steve and Ken Snow played in the same game for the US back in 1988.

Last edited:
Have we had brothers play together on the national team before?

I can't remember what I had for dinner last night but I remembered this post from 3 years ago when I saw both Aaronson's on the roster :)

We never got a definitive answer to your question when you asked it, but I saw today that it has happened once before for the US when Steve and Ken Snow played in the same game for the US back in 1988.
I just saw an article listing half dozen or so other sets of called up brothers id never heard of. snows wre the only ones I did know.

Panama and Canada both lost 2-0 today in their first game at the U17 World Cup

During qualification, US beat Canada 1-0 and 2-0 but did not play Panama.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Moe.