What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (6 Viewers)

Another goal for Tillman as PSV continues their perfect league start. Dest with the assist on the goal

I've been watching this on loop for the last 48 hours.
Here is a highlight package from that game for Dest

While watching the U17 match the other day, an unsettling thought came to my mind.

The announcer team was JP Dellacamera and Cobi Jones.

I started to think how long I have been listening to JP call games.

After looking him up, I realized that I had been listening to him call soccer games all the way back to the mid 80's (he called the old MISL indoor games which were the only American soccer on at the time).

Almost 40 years....

Holy **** I am old....

Another goal for Tillman as PSV continues their perfect league start. Dest with the assist on the goal

Man, I love saucy Dest. His confidence is back and he's so talented on the ball.

That whole sequence starting at 1:15.... If that would have gone in.... Oh man.

Man, I love saucy Dest. His confidence is back and he's so talented on the ball.

While we can all acknowledge he is far from a perfect player because of the inconsistency, there are many times you watch him and it is hard not to think he may have one of the best pair of feet in the history of US Soccer.

I just finished watching the US Burkino Faso U17 WC game.

in a very similar first half to the SK game, the US was clearly second best and yet still came out of the half with a lead, this time 2-0 on two very late goals. Figueroa and the baby Berchimas (3 goals in two games) were the goal scorers.

The second half was tight with the US keeper and US cb's being very busy. BF scored late but US held on to win 2-1.

US and France have both advanced out of group. US needs to beat France in last game to win group as France had a better GD.

Last edited:

While we can all acknowledge he is far from a perfect player because of the inconsistency, there are many times you watch him and it is hard not to think he may have one of the best pair of feet in the history of US Soccer.
I think my Sergino epiphany came when I realized that he just plays better in all phases, including defensively, if he gets the chance to express himself and show a little sauce out there. So now I want to see him throwing four stepovers at a guy on the wing and getting his rizz levels up, because he focuses better that way. He's almost like an ADHD soccer player. He needs so novelty to be fully checked-in to the game.

Juventus are kicking the tires on the most value depressed and wasted asset in world soccer, that being Jadon Sancho.

His value has fallen so far that they are only willing to take him if Man United covers the salary.

I only post this because if a miracle happens and he recovers some of his form, he would possibly be in contention for some of Weah's minutes.

Italian media are confirming that Pulisic will be 100% ready for the next Milan game.

It sounds like he will be playing with new guys up front as both Giroud (suspension) and Leao (injury) will miss the next game.

OK, I hate asking for too much, but I really don't want to leave tomorrow night with less than a 3 goal win, and preferably a shut out win, since away goals are in effect.

My guess/hope for the lineup (of which I'll add that, as time has passed, my/our hopes for lineups have gotten much closer to actual lineups):

.........................Balogun...................
Aaronson.............................Tillman

...........................Reyna

...............Musah...............McKennie

..Robinson....Ream........Richards.....Dest

...........................Turner

I would be fine with Paredes instead of Aaronson (and do hope he gets some time as a sub) and CCV instead of Richards.

My biggest hope is that he puts Reyna in at the #10 and doesn't try to play him as a winger.

Last edited:
I'll be at the game tomorrow night. Third USMNT game. Hopefully the crowd is into this. the USMNT brings a pretty cool crowd to the Q2.
I'm not super enthusiastic.
I just don't see the value of these minor cup games.
We are run like ****.

I'll be at the game tomorrow night. Third USMNT game. Hopefully the crowd is into this. the USMNT brings a pretty cool crowd to the Q2.
We are run like ****.
Awesome you're going! I won't ever get to see another game that matters living in NYC where the US is always the away team.

And this is qualifying for copa america .. very far from a minor cup game.

My guess/hope for the lineup (of which I'll add that, as time has passed, my/our hopes for lineups have gotten much closer to actual lineups):

I would be fine with Paredes instead of Aaronson (and do hope he gets some time as a sub) and CCV instead of Richards.

My biggest hope is that he puts Reyna in at the #10 and doesn't try to play him as a winger.
Agree with the lineup and agree with paredes instead of Aaronson.

Only minor quibble...I think theyll go with Musah as the sole 6 to allow swag to attack more.

No clue if this will paste well but this was helpful to me. Am I correct that the four quarterfinal winners advance to the Copa and then there will be 2 more from the losers (determined by a losers bracket)? So, if god forbid, we somehow manage to lose to T&T (we aren't) we could still qualify by being 1 of 2 teams out of the 4 losers. Right??

The match-ups will be as follows:

• Quarter-final 1 (QF1): Fourth-ranked seeded team vs. Best-ranked group winner
  • Quarter-final 2 (QF2): Third-ranked seeded team vs. Next best-ranked group winner
  • Quarter-final 3 (QF3): Second-ranked seeded team vs. Best-ranked group runner-up
  • Quarter-final 4 (QF4): First-ranked seeded team vs. Next best-ranked group runner-up
The first legs will be played on 16 and 17 November, and the second legs will be played on 20 and 21 November 2023.

Obviously, it would appear that the CR vs Panama matchup is most even and hardest to determine but Jamaica vs Canada could be interesting.

No clue if this will paste well but this was helpful to me. Am I correct that the four quarterfinal winners advance to the Copa and then there will be 2 more from the losers (determined by a losers bracket)? So, if god forbid, we somehow manage to lose to T&T (we aren't) we could still qualify by being 1 of 2 teams out of the 4 losers. Right??

The match-ups will be as follows:

• Quarter-final 1 (QF1): Fourth-ranked seeded team vs. Best-ranked group winner
  • Quarter-final 2 (QF2): Third-ranked seeded team vs. Next best-ranked group winner
  • Quarter-final 3 (QF3): Second-ranked seeded team vs. Best-ranked group runner-up
  • Quarter-final 4 (QF4): First-ranked seeded team vs. Next best-ranked group runner-up
The first legs will be played on 16 and 17 November, and the second legs will be played on 20 and 21 November 2023.

You are correct in how Copa qualifying works.

We are run like ****.
This is as important a game as any we can have outside of WC Qualifying.

Qualifying for Copa is tremendously important. Not only are we hosting and would look like jack asses if we were not playing, it is going to give us important preparation games for WC2026 which are going to be impossible to top for a competitive nature.

Agree with the lineup and agree with paredes instead of Aaronson.

Only minor quibble...I think theyll go with Musah as the sole 6 to allow swag to attack more.
I am interested how GGG will use Tillman. Tillman does not play on the wing for PSV, he plays mostly at the 8.

I think there is a chance we see both Aaronson (elder) and Parades start at the wing. Anything is in play.

I feel like GGG was happy with how Gio played at the 10 last camp so like you guys I hope he stays there and not on the wing.

Tillman does not play on the wing for PSV, he plays mostly at the 8.
Totally agree that he doesn't play on the wing for PSV. I'd actually say he plays more like a 10 than an 8. I'd contrast how they use him with how Milan uses Musah - Tillman's activity is weighted much more heavily towards attacking than Musah's more balanced focus.

Totally agree that he doesn't play on the wing for PSV. I'd actually say he plays more like a 10 than an 8. I'd contrast how they use him with how Milan uses Musah - Tillman's activity is weighted much more heavily towards attacking than Musah's more balanced focus.
Yeah, definitely his preferred position. However, I always like to use transfermarkt to see where a player has played and it does seem he's been used on the wing in the past.

And I'd rather HE play out of position and keep Gio in the 10 than vice versa.

As for Musah and McKennie, I didn't put Musah in the 6 as we had the discussion in the past about how that would limit his biggest strength of dribbling and advancing the ball.

If anything, while it's still more defensive minded, it would be interesting to see how Musah/McKennie worked as a double pivot. I guess I should have shaped it more as a 4-2-3-1.

Yeah, definitely his preferred position. However, I always like to use transfermarkt to see where a player has played and it does seem he's been used on the wing in the past.

And I'd rather HE play out of position and keep Gio in the 10 than vice versa.

As for Musah and McKennie, I didn't put Musah in the 6 as we had the discussion in the past about how that would limit his biggest strength of dribbling and advancing the ball.

If anything, while it's still more defensive minded, it would be interesting to see how Musah/McKennie worked as a double pivot. I guess I should have shaped it more as a 4-2-3-1.
If you want Gio at the 10, which is what I think most want to see, then I agree you want a 4-2-3-1

I agree.

Although with PSV on the front foot almost always, a traditional 8 will look much more offensive than an 8 on a team that plays an equally talented opponent.

It looks like the US may be the only team flying the Concacaf flag into the U17 knock out rounds.

Panama was eliminated with two draws and a loss.
Canada was blown out with three losses and a scary -9 GD
Mexico has 1 point with one game to play. They must win, Venezuela must lose and then need to make up GD to advance.

Derek Rae

@RaeComm

Praise in today’s Kicker for Gladbach‘s #USMNT defender Joe Scally calling him perhaps the club’s most versatile defensive player. Scally played on the right of a back 3 in the 4:0 win vs. Wolfsburg & produced his best performance of the season

Here is the lineup

.....................Turner
Dest......CCV.....Ream.......Jedi
.........Weston.....Musah
................Gio
Tillman.........Balogun...........Paredes

(I don't know yet which side Paredes and Tillman will be on, but I assume they are the two wings)

Some US Soccer notes:

Twenty-year-old midfielder Yunus Musah earns his 32nd cap, tying Jozy Altidore, Landon Donovan and Christian Pulisic for the most appearances by a USMNT player before their 21st birthday. Musah also makes his 30th start, extending his record of starts by a USMNT player before turning 21 – Donovan is second with 27 starts before his 21st birthday.

Making his third USMNT appearance, 20-year-old forward Kevin Paredes gets his first start, earns his first cap in official competition and will play his first match against Concacaf opposition tonight against Trinidad and Tobago.

Turner is the fourth USMNT goalkeeper to earn double-digit caps in at least three calendar years and the third to do it in three consecutive years: Tim Howard (6; 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2017), Tony Meola (5; 2021, 2022, 2023), Kasey Keller (3; 1998, 2002, 2005).

I also saw this note, but I think it might be a typo. Anyone know for sure??
====================

Six substitutions are allowed in three different moments. Halftime does not count as a substitution moment.

Here is the lineup

.....................Turner
Dest......CCV.....Ream.......Jedi
.........Weston.....Musah
................Gio
Tillman.........Balogun...........Paredes

(I don't know yet which side Paredes and Tillman will be on, but I assume they are the two wings)
Yes!

Deep in the depth of the minnows of Concacaf Nations League we can still find nice goals.

Watch how softly he strikes the ball and how far it goes. Seems to defy physics :)

Da ****?

TNT says the US will look like a 4-2-2-2 on offense......

The only way that makes any sense is if Jedi and Dest are playing extremely high.

Users who are viewing this thread