What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (8 Viewers)

There has definitely been some big misses for certain players that moved this summer, but based on where we were sitting with some of our best players in June.... gotta feel like it's been a pretty solid last 5 months for the USMNT's players overall.

Tom Bogert

@tombogert

Real Betis are finalizing an agreement to sign USMNT midfielder Johnny Cardoso from Internacional for around €6-8m, sources tell me &
@MarioCortegana. Deal expected to go thru in January but not 100% sorted.

I don’t know anything about where he fits into Real Betis but the club are in Europa and seem to be competing to make Europa or Conference League this year. Any chance he sees playing time there?

@TripItUp

In case you missed it....

Coach: Jurgen Klinsmann vs Gregg Berhalter​

We'll start by saying that both coaches have their faults, namely their high-profile fallouts with key players. However, once we look past that, it should be clear that this will be pretty one-sided.
Klinsmann was a good man-motivator and a very good recruiter. He was a key figure in changing perceptions about the USMNT and helping push the next generation towards the great unknown in a Europe.
As a tactician, though? The edge has to go to Berhalter. His game-planning in the World Cup was, generally good, aside from that Netherlands game, and like it or not, he does have a system that the USMNT knows well. How that system evolves in cycle two is anyone's guess, but tactically, the U.S. is in a better place now.
Winner: Gregg Berhalter

Ream, Jedi and CCV all start in the early games this morning.

Tessman and Busio both start for Venezia who look to stay in an auto promotion spot.

Matarazzo's Hoffenheim are hosting 1st place Leverkusen today. Brooks benched for (I think) the first time this year.

Scally and Pefok both starting again for Gladbach at Freiburg.

Aaronson brothers both on the bench for Union vs Frankfort.

Btw, I know this thread is really dedicated to the players and NT but Pellegrino Matarazzo really should be getting more love. We have very few American coaches that have had success in Europe. It seems like the US fanbase closely followed Bradley and Marsch in their forays abroad, but neither ever had the success Matarazzo is having right now.

PM is currently coaching a moderately big club in a top 5 league and has them in European places having been appointed when they were in the relegation zone last year. His CV also includes being an assistant to Nagelsmann and taking over a dysfunctional Stuttgart in the Bundes2 and bringing them back up to the top flight. He's only 45 years old. This is the American coach we've been waiting for.

It seems only @NewlyRetired and I ever mention him.

After scoring a brace midweek in their cup match, Pefok scored a goal and drew a penalty in the 1h. Unfortunately he then hurt himself and was taken off just before half.

Incredible news - USWNT have reportedly secured Emma Hayes as new manager. Chelsea announced today: "Emma Hayes OBE will depart the club at the end of the season to pursue a new opportunity outside of the WSL and club football." If only we'd seen a similar result on the men's side of things.

Men in Blazers
EMMA HAYES SET TO BECOME USWNT HEAD COACH
Per
@JeffKassouf, Chelsea coach expected to be hired to fill USWNT vacancy.
In moment of immense transition, US Soccer have gone out and got themselves one of the smartest and most accomplished managers in the game.

Well the one silver lining for Gio not playing is that he can’t be blamed for the 2023 version of “Dortmund ****s its pants playing Bayern”

Last edited:
What the help hell is going on at Ajax???
We had a discussion about this in the main thread this week. What an incredibly bad start to the year.

But they did get a win in their last game and got themselves out of the relegation zone finally. Their standing in the table looks worse than it probably should be as they have played two less games than the team they are tied with right now.

Incredible news - USWNT have reportedly secured Emma Hayes as new manager. Chelsea announced today: "Emma Hayes OBE will depart the club at the end of the season to pursue a new opportunity outside of the WSL and club football." If only we'd seen a similar result on the men's side of things.

Men in Blazers
Per @JeffKassouf, Chelsea coach expected to be hired to fill USWNT vacancy.
In moment of immense transition, US Soccer have gone out and got themselves one of the smartest and most accomplished managers in the game.
She is quite literally the best manager in women’s club football. This would be the equivalent of the men’s team landing Pep.

Incredible news for the USWNT.

Men in Blazers
Per @JeffKassouf, Chelsea coach expected to be hired to fill USWNT vacancy.
She is quite literally the best manager in women’s club football. This would be the equivalent of the men’s team landing Pep.

Incredible news for the USWNT.
Maybe she'll have the guts to cut loose the old guard and move on to a new generation. It's painfully obvious.

Also, I like that they didn't hire someone from the college ranks. I don't think she has any experience in US college soccer. That pathway is diminishing rapidly for women and its gone for men. Time to move on to professional coaching.

USSF met with 2003 CB Bryan Okoh who is at Salzburg about a one-time switch to the US. It was "positive" meeting. Okoh is perfect fit for us as he's basically missed the last two seasons with injuries.

He's played a total of 1 minute of first team football with Salzburg however he did get called up by the Swiss senior team before his first major injury (at ~18 years old).

Paredes starting again for Wolfsburg. Right Wing.
It's 2-2 at the moment. Paredes drew a foul in the 1h that resulted in a set piece goal and he scored in the 2h. He also just got booked. He's filling up the stat sheet!

ETA: he came off on 84'. This was his longest outing since moving to Wolfsburg. He was obviously gassed. Still, he is the highest rated player for Wolfsburg as he leaves the game.

Last edited:
It's 2-2 at the moment. Paredes drew a foul in the 1h that resulted in a set piece goal and he scored in the 2h. He also just got booked. He's filling up the stat sheet!

ETA: he came off on 84'. This was his longest outing since moving to Wolfsburg. He was obviously gassed. Still, he is the highest rated player for Wolfsburg as he leaves the game.
Very interesting timing given that Weah is expected to miss the next window. One could already argue Paredes is playing better in the Bundesliga than Aaronson.

Very interesting timing given that Weah is expected to miss the next window. One could already argue Paredes is playing better in the Bundesliga than Aaronson.
Not much of an argument.

Paredes exceeded Aaronson's season numbers for xG and xA in today's game alone. Union have lost, I believe, 12 games on the spin and Aaronson has been relegated to bench fodder. Aaronson is in a bad place.

I did not see the game but every where I read online was that he played on the left....I don't know which is correct
Yeah, he played on the left. The pre-game showed him as the right attacker in a 343 but he played the left midfield spot today.

Last week he was shown as the left midfielder and played right wing :shrug:

Last edited:
U17 World Cup starts this weekend.

US plays SK on Sunday at 8:00am ET. I have not yet seen any TV/streaming info. If anyone knows, please post.

Oh oh ......

==========

PSRA Officials

@PSRAofficials

After the Nov 4th NYRB/FC Cincinnati match, a player gained unauthorized entry into the Officials’ locker room & was forcibly removed by stadium security while acting in an aggressive & hostile manner

Jonathan Tannenwald

@thegoalkeeper

Multiple sources with knowledge of the matter tell The Inquirer that Matt Miazga is the player in question.

Oh oh ......

==========

PSRA Officials

@PSRAofficials

After the Nov 4th NYRB/FC Cincinnati match, a player gained unauthorized entry into the Officials’ locker room & was forcibly removed by stadium security while acting in an aggressive & hostile manner

Jonathan Tannenwald
@thegoalkeeper

Multiple sources with knowledge of the matter tell The Inquirer that Matt Miazga is the player in question.
In what I assume is related back story, in that game Miazga picked up a what was said to be a really dumb (on his part) yellow which is going to cause him to miss the Conference semi final game.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread