What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Trey Lance, DAL (1 Viewer)

FTR, Darnold ain't better than Lance. This move was all about Purdy > Lance. Darnold was safe insurance for Purdy's injury. I 100% doubt Darnold would've started over Lance if Purdy was out the first part of the season. Sorry @Hot Sauce Guy :shrug:
Can't say that
Can't say Levis is better than Willis
Can't say....preseason is over and battles were won. Kudos to the victors
Maybe so.

I'd take a ride on the Lance train over Darnold. We know what Darnold is. He's a backup QB at best. Usually, you take the upside guy who is younger and unknown and bet on the upside. QB2 guys like Darnold are a dime a dozen.
It's not maybe.
We had debates and discussions and every opinion was valid.
Now though is results time
The results aren't at face value. There are politics at play.
No, there aren’t. That the 49ers would allegedly play politics over prioritizing winning football games is a wholly preposterous assertion IMO.
Unfortunately, politics plays a role in lots of situations and the best or most talented person isn’t always 1a.
In the NFL you don't get rid of cheaper players who are better than more expensive ones.

The NFL is a meritocracy.*

*For the players it's meritocracy. For the coaching staff it's all about nepotism and hereditary rule.

The politics angle has me thinking about Dak Prescott and the $59 mil he's due in '24

Couldn't we also argue that trading for Lance creates some political drama? Is the trade a message from Jones to Dak? Doesn't that create a distraction?

Drop in 1qb leagues? What's his rookie pick value for superflex?
In one of my 1Qb leagues he was dropped a few minutes after the trade and I will be doing the same.

A lot of variables at play but I think there is a world he takes over as Dallas starting QB in 2024. For a Dallas, that’s what I believe this trade was about.

In one of my 1Qb leagues he was dropped a few minutes after the trade and I will be doing the same.

A lot of variables at play but I think there is a world he takes over as Dallas starting QB in 2024. For a Dallas, that’s what I believe this trade was about.
Agreed. Although I really wonder why the Cowboys would send that message to Dak, and the team, on the eve of the season.

Maybe they think it will motivate him to put up a $59 mil performance this year.

Purdy and Lance are supposedly tight. I don’t think they dealt Lance because he was a distraction or they needed to do this to make it Purdy’s team.

SF cleared cap space next year they need. Darnold is the backup. Lance was in an ugly spot with weight of draft capital and essentially losing job to injury and needed a fresh start. Badly.

I see no grand conspiracy’s here. Just a trade that made sense.

Purdy and Lance are supposedly tight. I don’t think they dealt Lance because he was a distraction or they needed to do this to make it Purdy’s team.

SF cleared cap space next year they need. Darnold is the backup. Lance was in an ugly spot with weight of draft capital and essentially losing job to injury and needed a fresh start. Badly.

This.

I don't think any message is being sent to Dak, either. But his contract voids after next year, and maybe Dallas is thinking it's good to have some interesting arms around.

Agreed. Although I really wonder why the Cowboys would send that message to Dak, and the team, on the eve of the season.

Maybe they think it will motivate him to put up a $59 mil performance this year.
I’m pretty sure they feel like Dak can handle it and if he can’t he’s probably not the man for the job.

I don’t think any of this is about sending messages. Its about preparing and giving them options.

The Niners brass also needed it to stop being reminded every day how badly they screwed up. This is Damage Control Mgmt 101.

I don't think there are any thoughts about Lance taking over in Dallas in 2024. He will be lucky to be QB2.

The Niners brass also needed it to stop being reminded every day how badly they screwed up. This is Damage Control Mgmt 101.
From a Niners perspective I think the trade is to salvage any value they can for the mistake they made.

I don't think there are any thoughts about Lance taking over in Dallas in 2024. He will be lucky to be QB2.
I think you are mistaken.

One way or another Dak is not playing on his current contract in 2024. Zero chance.

I’ll say it again. That’s what this trade was about for Dallas.

One way or another Dak is not playing on his current contract in 2024. Zero chance.

....and when he can't even beat out Cooper Rush?

....and when he can't even beat out Cooper Rush?
It's all about giving themselves options. This is not complicated or difficult to understand.

From a Niners perspective I think the trade is to salvage any value they can for the mistake they made.
I’m sure they want to do that. Of course.
But this is about ego. I’ve worked around enough giant egos and senior execs to know how much ego plays a role in decisions like this. It must have bothered Shanahan to be constantly reminded of this massive mistake — and it was massive.

Yes, I'm thinking about dropping him in two 1qb leagues for sure. I'm curious what everyone thinks his superflex rookie pick value is now?

The Buffalo Bills and the Baltimore Ravens are two teams that had conversations with San Francisco about a possible trade for Trey Lance.
In the NFC, the Detroit Lions also showed interest, per sources.
Most of the early discussions about a trade involved a 6th rounder that could get to a 5th.
In the end, the Dallas Cowboys offered the best deal.

Shanahan:

"When we looked into other teams, and he told us that he would like another opportunity to go somewhere where he had a chance to be the two, we thought we got some good deals for him. There was a number of teams involved. To end up getting the fourth was a little better than we anticipated and clears up a lot of money and allows a better situation for him, too."

"I told him, when we told him that he was going to be the three, if he could find another opportunity that was good, we'd allow him to do that, and he did," Shanahan said. "And we feel he'll be better for it, and I think we will, too."

"I always feel like I let Trey down," Shanahan admitted. "I mean, I wanted him to come here. I believe in Trey. I believed in him before we took him, and I'm responsible for that. I didn't want to throw him into the heat of battle right away, but I thought he needed to play. So we tried to figure out every way to do that."

When we went into the second year, we gave him every chance to do it," Shanahan continued. "We were going to make an offense that, to me, gave him the best chance to be successful at that time, which we did do. And when you do that, you hope a guy can stay healthy so he can stay out there long enough. But that didn't last long."

Lance suffered a season-ending ankle injury during Week 2.

Shanahan added, "After that, I always felt for him, and we continue to work with him, but sometimes things just don't work out."

Are you suggesting that the trade for Lance is to gain leverage to get Dak to restructure his contract? Trey Lance? Dak is not getting cut, the dead money is massive.

If/when Shanahan wins a SB, nobody will care about this Lance thing. It won't matter.
FTR, Darnold ain't better than Lance. This move was all about Purdy > Lance. Darnold was safe insurance for Purdy's injury. I 100% doubt Darnold would've started over Lance if Purdy was out the first part of the season. Sorry @Hot Sauce Guy :shrug:

Sorry, you're wrong. Shanahan LOVES Darnold, and has since before he was even drafted. There was almost no chance Lance would have started over Darnold if Lance hadn't been traded.

With a SB roster, Shanahan is starting the guy with 50+ starts over the guy with 4 starts every time.

Every time.
Darnold is going to be atrocious if Purdy gets hurt. You guys are going to be in serious trouble if Purdy goes down (I honestly don't think you guys have a chance at a sb with Purdy either)

Yes, I'm thinking about dropping him in two 1qb leagues for sure. I'm curious what everyone thinks his superflex rookie pick value is now?

Biggest factor is roster size…unless it is a really large roster I don’t see the need to keep him unless you are the Dak Owner and want to roll the dice…too much has to happen for him to see the field and even if he does it won’t be any time soon.

Kyle Shanahan's offense is considered QB friendly. Every QB sans Lance that has stepped in an played

Are you suggesting that the trade for Lance is to gain leverage to get Dak to restructure his contract? Trey Lance? Dak is not getting cut, the dead money is massive.
Dak will be cut, traded or extended. Period. The dead money is massive but so are the cap savings.

ETA-I have in no way suggested this is go gain leverage on Dak. That makes no sense to me. The market will be the market for Dak and he's got a really good agent who understands this. This is simply to give Dallas a possible option if they don't want to meet that market price, not some amateur maneuver to manipulate Dak to take a lower extension.

Having Lance on the team for a year to see if he's a viable alternative if they move on from Dak was the central reason for this trade for Dallas.

If Trey Lance shows any signs of living up to the hype, which Shanahan per his quotes above seems to agree, talent is there. He is a project. They knew it'd take a season or 2 and he spent that time injured... now with the emergence of Brock Purdy, they can't have this other guy waiting behind threatening their guy. Sam Darnold was just a buffer signing because they knew they had to move on from Trey. It seems like a win-win for both sides. Dallas can work with him and determine if he is that guy. Dak can continue to be Dak and Cooper Rush is the obvious and immediate impacted player.

People are acting like Dallas invested a bunch into Trey Lance. They got a top graded talent with everything to prove for not much draft capital. He is arguably the best you can do with a 4th round pick: youth, ability, highly graded prospect at a premium position. In a vacuum, if Lance fell to them 3 years ago in the 4th... everybody would be singing their praises but because SF traded so many picks to get him, everyone is holding Dallas to the capital spent by another team... not really how this works.

If Lance pans out, Dak should be concerned. If Dak elevates his game and Lance wants out... Dallas is out a 4th round pick for their efforts. Seems like the Cowboys cashed in on San Francisco's mistake but neither team is worse for any of this.

If Trey Lance shows any signs of living up to the hype, which Shanahan per his quotes above seems to agree, talent is there. He is a project. They knew it'd take a season or 2 and he spent that time injured... now with the emergence of Brock Purdy, they can't have this other guy waiting behind threatening their guy. Sam Darnold was just a buffer signing because they knew they had to move on from Trey. It seems like a win-win for both sides. Dallas can work with him and determine if he is that guy. Dak can continue to be Dak and Cooper Rush is the obvious and immediate impacted player.

People are acting like Dallas invested a bunch into Trey Lance. They got a top graded talent with everything to prove for not much draft capital. He is arguably the best you can do with a 4th round pick: youth, ability, highly graded prospect at a premium position. In a vacuum, if Lance fell to them 3 years ago in the 4th... everybody would be singing their praises but because SF traded so many picks to get him, everyone is holding Dallas to the capital spent by another team... not really how this works.

If Lance pans out, Dak should be concerned. If Dak elevates his game and Lance wants out... Dallas is out a 4th round pick for their efforts. Seems like the Cowboys cashed in on San Francisco's mistake but neither team is worse for any of this.

It doesn't make sense for Dallas. For a team like the Washington Redskins where there isn't much talent in the QB room and you can get him practice reps, sure. For the Arizona Cardinals where the franchise QB might miss the season and you're tanking. Sure. For a team with Superbowl aspirations and an entrenched starter who has a contract for the next few seasons. Doesn't make sense.

It doesn't make sense for Dallas. For a team like the Washington Redskins where there isn't much talent in the QB room and you can get him practice reps, sure. For the Arizona Cardinals where the franchise QB might miss the season and you're tanking. Sure. For a team with Superbowl aspirations and an entrenched starter who has a contract for the next few seasons. Doesn't make sense.
I think it just does make sense to you.

Darnold is going to be atrocious if Purdy gets hurt. You guys are going to be in serious trouble if Purdy goes down (I honestly don't think you guys have a chance at a sb with Purdy either)
Keep banging that hate drum, it's gonna make winning that much sweeter.

man made more than 100k PER SNAP with the niners. 260 or so snaps in his career. 27M+ earnings.

sans doubt, the worst trade up in nfl history. shocking, SHOCKING move. execs should be hung to dry.
Yes, they should fire everyone in the front office after this terrible run they’ve had.

couldve maybe had a SB if they kept their picks/drafted better :shrug:
You’re right, they should be fired.

The Cowboys will pay Lance’s guaranteed salaries of $940,000 for 2023 and $5.3 million for 2024, according to Schefter. Dallas has the right to decide whether to exercise Lance’s fifth-year option for 2025.
Trey Lance
Date of birth
May 9, 2000
age 23 years
Cowboys have Trey Lance for 3 years if they exercise that 2025 option.
I like it.
Go Cowboys!
That 5th year option will be for like 25 million. He'd have to be starting for them to even consider it.

Keep pumping up garbo. Will make the train wreck that much sweeter.
Its funny, I have no idea what team you root for, cuz all I see is your 49er hate, and I LOVE it. This team is SO good, youre posting scared every day, hoping to manifest something bad happening to them. It's the funniest damn thing in this forum.

Keep it coming. You hate us cuz you ain't us.

I'll be here ALL. YEAR. LONG.

Traded him last night for a 2025 2nd, 12-team league that is moving to superflex starting this season. More than I thought I could get.

Keep pumping up garbo. Will make the train wreck that much sweeter.
Its funny, I have no idea what team you root for, cuz all I see is your 49er hate, and I LOVE it. This team is SO good, youre posting scared every day, hoping to manifest something bad happening to them. It's the funniest damn thing in this forum.

Keep it coming. You hate us cuz you ain't us.

I'll be here ALL. YEAR. LONG.
Every day? This is like the second time I've posted towards you lol. Delusion is a hell of a drug.

man made more than 100k PER SNAP with the niners. 260 or so snaps in his career. 27M+ earnings.

sans doubt, the worst trade up in nfl history. shocking, SHOCKING move. execs should be hung to dry.
Yes, they should fire everyone in the front office after this terrible run they’ve had.

Ironically, what they needed to win a Superbowl last year was another qb

Ironically, what they needed to win a Superbowl last year was another qb

Fields + 2/3 other first rounders... Ya, they would've had a much better shot, imo.

Yup...when you can look at this without an agenda this sums it up.

Jerry Jones wanted Lance because he knows the 49ers playbook, terminology, etc. After getting bounced from the playoffs 2 years on a row by SF, he's trying to get any advantage he can.

Why the sudden about-face?

“Because I knew it,” Shanahan said Friday. “I thought it would take longer (to make the decision). I wanted to go through (Friday’s) game. But I knew it. And I think a lot of guys knew it. And I think (Lance) had an idea. It was more about my relationship with Trey. I’m in meetings with him every day. I’m on the field with him every day. I could get the sense that he was starting to feel that way. I didn’t want to BS him.”

Lance became so emotional when Shanahan delivered the news he’d be the No. 3 quarterback on Wednesday that the 49ers told him he could skip that day’s practice. When he returned to the team facility he told Shanahan that he was willing to stick it out with the 49ers but that he’d also like to see if there were any trade options.

“Trey took a little bit of time to think about it, came back and said he’d like to find another spot if he can,” Shanahan said. “That’s when we started to look into it — his agent and us.”

The Cowboys were the first team to show interest and their initial offer wasn’t very good. But more teams joined the conversation on Friday, the discussions accelerated and the Cowboys’ offer improved to a fourth-round pick. That certainly pales compared to what the 49ers used to acquire Lance — three first-round picks and a third-round pick — but it was still higher than many predicted the 49ers would get for someone who’s started just four games in two years, especially this close to the start of the season.

Lance attended the Thursday walkthrough practice and was part of the meetings in the run-up to Friday’s game. And until the Cowboys upped their offer, the plan was for Lance to play in the second half against the Los Angeles Chargers. He and his 49ers teammates, in fact, were in the locker room getting ready to step onto the field for warmups when the trade was consummated.

If Lance was distressed over losing the No. 2 quarterback competition in San Francisco, teammates said he seemed elated to be getting a new start with the Cowboys, whom the 49ers have faced in the playoffs the last two seasons. Lance and the Cowboys will visit the 49ers on Oct. 8.

Why the sudden about-face?

“Because I knew it,” Shanahan said Friday. “I thought it would take longer (to make the decision). I wanted to go through (Friday’s) game. But I knew it. And I think a lot of guys knew it. And I think (Lance) had an idea. It was more about my relationship with Trey. I’m in meetings with him every day. I’m on the field with him every day. I could get the sense that he was starting to feel that way. I didn’t want to BS him.”

Lance became so emotional when Shanahan delivered the news he’d be the No. 3 quarterback on Wednesday that the 49ers told him he could skip that day’s practice. When he returned to the team facility he told Shanahan that he was willing to stick it out with the 49ers but that he’d also like to see if there were any trade options.

“Trey took a little bit of time to think about it, came back and said he’d like to find another spot if he can,” Shanahan said. “That’s when we started to look into it — his agent and us.”

The Cowboys were the first team to show interest and their initial offer wasn’t very good. But more teams joined the conversation on Friday, the discussions accelerated and the Cowboys’ offer improved to a fourth-round pick. That certainly pales compared to what the 49ers used to acquire Lance — three first-round picks and a third-round pick — but it was still higher than many predicted the 49ers would get for someone who’s started just four games in two years, especially this close to the start of the season.

Lance attended the Thursday walkthrough practice and was part of the meetings in the run-up to Friday’s game. And until the Cowboys upped their offer, the plan was for Lance to play in the second half against the Los Angeles Chargers. He and his 49ers teammates, in fact, were in the locker room getting ready to step onto the field for warmups when the trade was consummated.

If Lance was distressed over losing the No. 2 quarterback competition in San Francisco, teammates said he seemed elated to be getting a new start with the Cowboys, whom the 49ers have faced in the playoffs the last two seasons. Lance and the Cowboys will visit the 49ers on Oct. 8.
Coaches are like politicians, they talk out of the side of their mouth.

People keep saying if Lance pans out. How is Lance supposed to "pan out" in Dallas?

This season, in practice, the Dallas Cowboys aren't giving Trey Lance first team reps in practice. He has to learn the Cowboys offense, then beat out Cooper Rush. He's basically going to spend the entire season watching, learning the offense and getting limited reps in practice. Barring injuries to Prescott and Rush he probably won't see any game action for Dallas. How is he developing in that type of environment? How is he supposed to "pan out"? Then with most likely, no game action and limited reps in practice information to evaluate Lance on, the Cowboys, on May 1, 2024, need to decide if they want to pick up his 5th year option.

Most likely scenario is the Cowboys don't pick up his 5th year option and Lance is an UFA in 2025 without playing a meaningful, regular season down for Dallas.

That's why I said, it doesn't make sense for Dallas, but it does for a team that is expected to be bad and can give Lance the opportunity to get practice and game reps.

ETA: Hypothetical: If the Cowboys didn't pick up Lance's 5th year option. Cut Prescott in 2024 (doubtful, but go with it for this hypo), went with Lance as the starter and Lance did "pan out". The Cowboys would have to give Lance a big contract. Ha Ha Ha.

People keep saying if Lance pans out. How is Lance supposed to "pan out" in Dallas?

This season, in practice, the Dallas Cowboys aren't giving Trey Lance first team reps in practice. He has to learn the Cowboys offense, then beat out Cooper Rush. He's basically going to spend the entire season watching, learning the offense and getting limited reps in practice. Barring injuries to Prescott and Rush he probably won't see any game action for Dallas. How is he developing in that type of environment? How is he supposed to "pan out"? Then with most likely, no game action and limited reps in practice information to evaluate Lance on, the Cowboys, on May 1, 2024, need to decide if they want to pick up his 5th year option.

Most likely scenario is the Cowboys don't pick up his 5th year option and Lance is an UFA in 2025 without playing a meaningful, regular season down for Dallas.

That's why I said, it doesn't make sense for Dallas, but it does for a team that is expected to be bad and can give Lance the opportunity to get practice and game reps.

ETA: Hypothetical: If the Cowboys didn't pick up Lance's 5th year option. Cut Prescott in 2024 (doubtful, but go with it for this hypo), went with Lance as the starter and Lance did "pan out". The Cowboys would have to give Lance a big contract. Ha Ha Ha.
Yes, it's not as if Dallas was a great landing spot, especially if Dak signs a new contract. People who own him in start 1QB leagues might as well drop him, unless you're a Dak owner. Him too if you have other good QB options. The big question I have is what are people in SF doing with him? I suppose another year eating a roster spot is the order of business in SF, I don't know.

Some takes here that are interesting, but it's obvious that Lance doesn't have what it takes. A guy like Shanahan, who always gets QBs to play better under him than anywhere else, giving up on him makes it clear that he has seen enough. It's pretty obvious.

Lombardi:

Correct business decisions have to be based on the realities of the Now — not the realities of 2021. Shanahan hardly ever talks money and the salary cap, but as we've discussed extensively, it was a huge part of the 49ers' Trey Lance calculus:

"You'd love to keep a third guy to develop, especially a guy that you really, really love and believe that he could do it someday. But to that for $7 million over two years with where we are in the cap, when you can't provide the reps for (him), that to me, doesn't make much sense for the Niners. I wish it would. Because hell yeah, we'd love to keep him until it eventually works out. But that clock ran out here. That's why we had to make a really tough decision."

yeah its pretty simple. Time ran out on the plan, which was derailed by injuries, and Purdy took his opportunity and ran with it. End of story.

Can't say that
Can't say Levis is better than Willis
Can't say....preseason is over and battles were won. Kudos to the victors
Maybe so.

I'd take a ride on the Lance train over Darnold. We know what Darnold is. He's a backup QB at best. Usually, you take the upside guy who is younger and unknown and bet on the upside. QB2 guys like Darnold are a dime a dozen.
It's not maybe.
We had debates and discussions and every opinion was valid.
Now though is results time
The results aren't at face value. There are politics at play.
No, there aren’t. That the 49ers would allegedly play politics over prioritizing winning football games is a wholly preposterous assertion IMO.
Unfortunately, politics plays a role in lots of situations and the best or most talented person isn’t always 1a.
It wouldn’t surprise me if this was Shanahan’s way to telling, well, whoever it was that talked him into taking Lance over Mac, “See? We tried it your way and it didn’t work, now let me do it my way.” A decision made much easier once his new handpicked QB provided better results right away.

It wouldn’t surprise me if this was Shanahan’s way to telling, well, whoever it was that talked him into taking Lance over Mac, “See? We tried it your way and it didn’t work, now let me do it my way.” A decision made much easier once his new handpicked QB provided better results right away
I don't buy the story that Shanahan wanted Mac Jones and gave in to pressure to draft Lance. He wanted Lance because he thought Lance was going to be a true dual threat QB based on his college numbers, and once they found out he's not very fast or elusive, I think they were like "OK, maybe we can make him a pocket passer", and then the 2022 injury happened and they never got the chance to find out.

Just my $.02

Users who are viewing this thread